There is a share option from almost any OS app. I find this particularly useful.

Posted via CB10
    You mean share to whatever app you choose? That's in android. As a matter of fact that is something Android had for years.

Sent from my XT1060 using Mobile Nations mobile app
    04-03-14 07:21 AM
    You mean share to whatever app you choose? That's in android. As a matter of fact that is something Android had for years.

Well the technical term is "BB10 Invocation Framework". It's similar to "Android Intents", but much more powerful.

http://esdot.ca/site/2013/bb10-intro...tion-framework

Zed30
    stlabrat likes this.
    04-03-14 07:50 AM

Good to know. I was just sharing what I knew about BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    04-03-14 08:10 AM

I should probably give an example. If you've never used BB10 for decent amount of time then it would be hard to understand.

So here's a video that gives a better understanding.

Edit,, if you're really interested in what it's capabilities are then definitely watch this video

Zed30
    Last edited by TheStoryUp; 04-03-14 at 08:33 AM.
    stlabrat likes this.
    04-03-14 08:18 AM
    Well the technical term is "BB10 Invocation Framework". It's similar to "Android Intents", but much more powerful.

http://esdot.ca/site/2013/bb10-intro...tion-framework

Zed30
    Not by much to be honest, its android intents with a few extras. Not to downplay it as it is cool.

04-03-14 08:49 AM
    Not by much to be honest, its android intents with a few extras. Not to downplay it as it is cool.

Yeah I haven't read into Intents that much, but I did have an HTC One for awhile, and while there is similarities I find the flow experience better. The thing that sucks for now, idk if something will change in the future, is that Android apps that have been straight ported over on BB10 don't use this feature. This is why you want to use Built for BlackBerry apps whenever possible, because they keep they flow experience.

Some Android developers do actually take the time and make use of it. Idk why they wouldn't, because it makes their app more prevalent within the OS and used more often. I guess their just lazy lol.

I believe Android, iOS and WP are all trying to copy and implement this type of feature into their OS, which is good and shows what competition does for the consumer. I don't get people who want BlackBerry to die and go away, it's only going to hurt the consumer in the end because there is one less company to compete.

All the OS copy things from one another, this is what keeps innovation moving. Completely baffles me why anyone would want BlackBerry and BB10 to die.

Zed30
    stlabrat likes this.
    04-03-14 09:26 AM
    And all that means nothing.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    Why are you here spreading negativity friend? It's nice you like facts, we also know the facts but you should be nice especially to those who are down and not kick them. We love BlackBerry so what, is that a crime? This is our place where we come together to rant about whatever we like. We are a community, a BlackBerry community. It means something to us, we are fans with passion. We love BlackBerry and we know what the media is saying but we still buy and use and love BlackBerry.

Spread facts in a loving way friend

Photos captured using BlackBerry devices - C00016D81
    AthenaSmith likes this.
    04-03-14 10:46 AM
    Why are you here spreading negativity friend? It's nice you like facts, we also know the facts but you should be nice especially to those who are down and not kick them. We love BlackBerry so what, is that a crime? This is our place where we come together to rant about whatever we like. We are a community, a BlackBerry community. It means something to us, we are fans with passion. We love BlackBerry and we know what the media is saying but we still buy and use and love BlackBerry.

Its only an attempt to keep everyone eyes open. Even here. We can not be disillusioned about what is going on. There is a hive mind at work here and it causes distortion and mass anger at simple things.

Doggerz likes this.
    04-03-14 10:55 AM
    Its a delusion some people have. Because it works for them it must be "best".

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    Could it be that it's best for them (us) because it best fits their (our) needs?

Do you think it might be that?

04-03-14 11:26 AM
    Its only an attempt to keep everyone eyes open. Even here. We can not be disillusioned about what is going on. There is a hive mind at work here and it causes distortion and mass anger at simple things.

Thx for the info. Can you share more of your insight of software platform in detail comparison to keep me out of disillusioned? Of course, the hardware and software integration included. Thx in advance.

Posted via CB10
    04-04-14 05:43 AM
    You cannot "multi-task" on a Blackberry device. You task switch, you do not multi task. When we say multi-task, we're talking about doing two things at once, running multiple devices on the screen at once. All platforms task switch just fine. Even the iPhone and Windows Phone do that with aplomb.

-------------------
    Multitasking isn't just having 2 things on the screen at the same time. That doesn't make any sense

A multitasking OS is one that allows more than one program or app to run on it simultaneously.

Just because it's not on the screen does not mean it's not running in the background.

All OS can multitask. For example, on my Z30 I can be downloaded loading a large file from a USB drive to my SD card using OTG. At the same time I'm using the Video player to watch a movie on my TV using Miracast and the "Play On" feature. Meanwhile I'm using the browser and replying to BBM and TXT with toast notifications at no time leaving the browser.

The unified share function is unmatched. Android doesn't even have a unified share function

Zed30
    All platforms can do that. Some restrict what you can do in the background via 3rd party apps for their own reasons, but in the stock apps they multi-task just fine. That depends on what the developers prefer to do. They all support background tasks. Windows NT (which is what Microsoft uses) clearly can multi-task (as Windows RT with its split screen apps displays), yet on Windows Phone they prioritize battery life and change the way the OS is allowed to multi-task most third party apps (suspending them in the background). The same can be said for iOS.

However, multitasking from a productivity sense is not possible on a Blackberry the way it is on Windows RT and Samsung's Android devices. The phone doesn't allow you to display two apps on the same screen. The only thing you can do is switch between different apps that are running.

The value of running a video in the background is minimal, unless you're inefficiently using video as a means of listening to music (you're better off ripping the audio out of it and using the music player).
    04-04-14 01:29 PM
    What is this unified share function? All the other background tasks that BlackBerry 10 can do most can be done besides Miracast I think, Samsung might have something for that.

Galaxy S/Note devices support Miricast. Since the S3/Note II at least. The Note 3 and S4 certainly do, and so will the S5.

Sharing has been on Android for years now. Not even worth defending that...
    04-04-14 01:31 PM
    Yeah I haven't read into Intents that much, but I did have an HTC One for awhile, and while there is similarities I find the flow experience better. The thing that sucks for now, idk if something will change in the future, is that Android apps that have been straight ported over on BB10 don't use this feature. This is why you want to use Built for BlackBerry apps whenever possible, because they keep they flow experience.

Some Android developers do actually take the time and make use of it. Idk why they wouldn't, because it makes their app more prevalent within the OS and used more often. I guess their just lazy lol.

I believe Android, iOS and WP are all trying to copy and implement this type of feature into their OS, which is good and shows what competition does for the consumer. I don't get people who want BlackBerry to die and go away, it's only going to hurt the consumer in the end because there is one less company to compete.

All the OS copy things from one another, this is what keeps innovation moving. Completely baffles me why anyone would want BlackBerry and BB10 to die.

Zed30
    No one wants BB10 to die. We're just tired of seeing people push it on others aggressively as the second coming, when it is not.

There's a difference.

People here say things like it's clearly superior to all other systems, using revisionist history, and then they get aggressive and quite defensive when anyone disagrees with them.

At this point all the major OSes can handle my base requirements so I couldn't care if any of them die, as long as one of them remains so I can get done what I need to get done.

I don't buy phones based on what uber fans say on a forum, and I certainly don't have blind emotional attachment to certain corporations' devices. I buy based on my requirements and "growth room" with the device.

Clearly I have made great buying decisions considering the hoopla with products like the Playbook and Z10.
    04-04-14 01:36 PM

Who said you couldn't have your opinion, and in the same vane my own? No ill intent. Sorry if your feelings are hurt.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    Last edited by TgeekB; 04-04-14 at 05:05 PM.
    04-04-14 03:51 PM
    snip... it's only going to hurt the consumer in the end because there is one less company to compete.
    Not really feelin' the loss of WebOs.

YMMV
    04-04-14 05:45 PM
    All platforms can do that. Some restrict what you can do in the background via 3rd party apps for their own reasons, but in the stock apps they multi-task just fine. That depends on what the developers prefer to do. They all support background tasks. Windows NT (which is what Microsoft uses) clearly can multi-task (as Windows RT with its split screen apps displays), yet on Windows Phone they prioritize battery life and change the way the OS is allowed to multi-task most third party apps (suspending them in the background). The same can be said for iOS.

However, multitasking from a productivity sense is not possible on a Blackberry the way it is on Windows RT and Samsung's Android devices. The phone doesn't allow you to display two apps on the same screen. The only thing you can do is switch between different apps that are running.

The value of running a video in the background is minimal, unless you're inefficiently using video as a means of listening to music (you're better off ripping the audio out of it and using the music player).
    The video running in the background was being displayed on my TV using Miracast and the "Play On" feature.

Zed30
    04-04-14 05:49 PM
    The video running in the background was being displayed on my TV using Miracast and the "Play On" feature.

Zed30
    Other platforms can do that. Windows phone 8.1 and ios included.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk
    04-04-14 05:50 PM
    No one wants BB10 to die. We're just tired of seeing people push it on others aggressively as the second coming, when it is not.

There's a difference.

People here say things like it's clearly superior to all other systems, using revisionist history, and then they get aggressive and quite defensive when anyone disagrees with them.
    LOLOL!!

So let's get this straight: You're tired of the 1-2% of BlackBerry users aggressively pushing BB10 on to the 98-99% of users of other platforms? Really? Perspective, please.

Obvious solutions to your frustration:
    1. Regulate the time you spend on BB fansites.
    2. Don't be so sensitive. Being in such an overwhelming majority, it ought to be trivially easy to develop a slightly thicker skin to protect against a tiny minority of BB fanatics.

Sorry, but your way of looking at things is so inverted, it is actually funny. You allow yourself to be bothered by a group that is widely considered statistically irrelevant to the mobile business.
    04-04-14 10:50 PM
    People are just saying BlackBerry is bad because others are saying that, no one is actually using it before judging...took my new z10 to school today, the 2 people who used it now want one

Posted via CB10
    04-04-14 11:26 PM
    LOLOL!!

So let's get this straight: You're tired of the 1-2% of BlackBerry users aggressively pushing BB10 on to the 98-99% of users of other platforms? Really? Perspective, please.

Obvious solutions to your frustration:
    1. Regulate the time you spend on BB fansites.
    2. Don't be so sensitive. Being in such an overwhelming majority, it ought to be trivially easy to develop a slightly thicker skin to protect against a tiny minority of BB fanatics.

Sorry, but your way of looking at things is so inverted, it is actually funny. You allow yourself to be bothered by a group that is widely considered statistically irrelevant to the mobile business.
    😭😭😭

04-04-14 11:29 PM
    This unfortunately sums it up.

Blackberry has in reality become a non-player. Nobody cares anymore.

Case in point. A co-worker of mine who's been using BB for years shows up at work with a Galaxy S4. When I asked him he told me his BB was acting up. So he went to his carrier's store and they promptly told him move on from BB and move up to the S4.

When the sales reps of the major carriers are dismissing BB and promoting the others BB has big problems
    Exactly, I hear storied of people having to beg Verizon workers to get them to let them buy a BlackBerry phone.....its sad, BlackBerry needs to have a talk with these companies..

Posted via CB10
    04-04-14 11:30 PM
    Other platforms can do that. Windows phone 8.1 and ios included.

Never said they couldn't. What they can't do is run apps within other apps. Not to my knowledge anyway.

Example

I can actually have 9 instances of BBM running at the same time all within other apps. I can have BBM app itself open, also open within the Hub. BB10 can have 8 active frames at the same time. So BBM, Browser, video player, music player, Maple Leafs, CBC sports...etc. are all open and using the share function, I have BBM chats open in everyone of those apps.

It's hard to explain, maybe someone can do it better, but if you research "BB10 Invocation Framework" you'll have a better understanding.

Zed30
    04-05-14 12:24 AM
    Never said they couldn't. What they can't do is run apps within other apps. Not to my knowledge anyway.

Example

I can actually have 9 instances of BBM running at the same time all within other apps. I can have BBM app itself open, also open within the Hub. BB10 can have 8 active frames at the same time. So BBM, Browser, video player, music player, Maple Leafs, CBC sports...etc. are all open and using the share function, I have BBM chats open in everyone of those apps.

It's hard to explain, maybe someone can do it better, but if you research "BB10 Invocation Framework" you'll have a better understanding.

Zed30
    I stand corrected I could only get 4 instances of BBM running in the active frames and then one in the hub.

I was able to open Crackberry app, then copy and share some txt to a contact in BBM, while I was in BBM I attached a picture which opened up the file manager. When I preview a pic I tapped the share function and shared with a txt message contact. While in the texting app I added a voice note, the attached a contact which opened the contacts app.

All this was done within the Crackberry app, I opened BBM, then file manager, then picture viewer, then txt message app, then the contacts app. At no time was any other app besides Crackberry open in the active frames. This is the power of BB10.

Zed30
    04-05-14 01:23 AM
    Exactly, I hear storied of people having to beg Verizon workers to get them to let them buy a BlackBerry phone.....its sad, BlackBerry needs to have a talk with these companies..

Posted via CB10

Not true in my area (Boston).. Verizon is offering BB in its stores, but when they sell so few of them, it is hard for them to promote them... They are in the SELLING phone business... They just want to move product.. They don't care what they sell.... If people start asking for BB in bigger numbers they will adjust.... Business 101
    04-05-14 05:46 AM
    I'm a huge guy on reviews. So I usually go where someone tells me to go IF I like what they write. Had all os's and by far none of them are rock solid. However BlackBerry os is by far the better one for my needs.

If your a facebook viewing junkie go with a app based os.

If your a typer and messaging person qwerty keyboard all the way. Virtual keyboards blow.

Guess my device. "It has keys"
    My device doesn't have keys and I can type faster on it than my Bold 9900. Guess my device? I used to be like that as well. Not anymore.

Posted by my awesome Z10
    stlabrat likes this.
    04-05-14 06:15 AM
179 ... 5678