So consumers buying devices until it's released or announced should assume they will?

Will they code for BB10 or just port the Android version?
    I doubt seriously BlackBerry is even on Microsoft's radar to even code for.

Sent from my XT1060 using Mobile Nations mobile app
    03-30-14 05:29 PM
    If Microsoft released skydrive and Skype for BlackBerry, they will release office for it

Posted via CB10
    MS might still bring Office to BBRY devices, but I don't think it has anything to do with Skype or OneDrive availability.
    03-30-14 06:56 PM
    MS might still bring Office to BBRY devices, but I don't think it has anything to do with Skype or OneDrive availability.
    I thought Docs to Go was good enough.

03-30-14 07:21 PM
    I thought Docs to Go was good enough.

It might be good enough for some users; however, formatting might be problematic for other users, particularly if intensive collaboration is involved.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Tapatalk
    look_alive likes this.
    03-30-14 07:53 PM
    I should add "in my humble opinion" to what I said of course. The fact BlackBerry 10 handles many things different is the reason why I feel it's way ahead.

Multitasking for one is way closer to desktops on BlackBerry 10. Also the use of the micro kernel on a deep OS level is way more future proof than I can see on other platforms. Look how fast a BlackBerry 10 device still is after a year of full on abuse. This is not my experience with other platforms with way less abuse.

And no, experience wise your friends did not fall behind, because their phones do what they need them to do. My comment was directed at BlackBerry being behind only in third party developers support. The BlackBerry 10 OS being "way ahead" is perhaps an overstatement if objectively reviewed, but it is the way I experience it. Even without the "way" I still think at least its ahead.
    Multitasking on BB10 is not closest to a desktop. There is no split panel or resizable Windows. (To my knowledge) Only Android has this functionality at the moment.
    look_alive likes this.
    03-30-14 08:14 PM
    I have just done my 5th restore of my Z10 in a week after the phone reboots for whatever reason (in total an estimate 40 times since purchase).

Everytime I lose recent data, often have to then type in new passcodes etc for email addresses, photos gone, music gone. All random and different everytime and there is no help from anybody.

What a pain in the *** for a phone that otherwise is perfect for me
    03-31-14 02:44 AM
    I don't think the majority of people have even heard of "laptop magazine." Definitely not the casual crowd.

Posted via CB10
    If you and I were to subscribe to Laptop magazine there would be almost 100 people reading it.
    03-31-14 04:59 AM
    I have just done my 5th restore of my Z10 in a week after the phone reboots for whatever reason (in total an estimate 40 times since purchase).

Everytime I lose recent data, often have to then type in new passcodes etc for email addresses, photos gone, music gone. All random and different everytime and there is no help from anybody.

What a pain in the *** for a phone that otherwise is perfect for me
    What os you are running? Where you brought your phone? What is the model? -3?

Posted via CB10
    03-31-14 05:34 AM
    Some features on BlackBerry 10 could easily be copied by others, I just don't know if the implementation would be better or worse. The core OS in my opinion (I should have said this in my earlier statement as well) handles the processes better than others. I hardly ever experience any lag and the OS is still as fast as ever.

That's why I mentioned the "core OS" and not the features like the HUB and Gestures (which on their own would have me choose BlackBerry 10 over others though). Features are features and the core is the core.

Look at the M8 having more lock screen gestures than BlackBerry 10. It would be a hard case to make that only the gestures on their own blow away entire Operating Systems that have been maturing for years now.
    Know what you trying to say but you aren't rrally saying it correctly.

Every basic phone function works better tthen itrs competition. I have a nexus 5 and 7 tab so I have compared. BB10 on yy Z30.

Native file manager, I can acess all my ckouds sd and even my computer. From all over the world.

Phone: this is Z30 specific. Paratek antenna. I have yet to not get an HD call on this phone with a week of having it.
    Usually everyones phonne gets 1 bar and 4G.This phone is LTE non stop.

Hardware: usually I dont care about hardware so much. But the speakers that are beter then. HTC ones and the battery on thos thing blows everyone out of the water.

Email BlackBerry is better then any 3rd party client even k9

HUB is the best notification center. Even shows all your events.

Getting messages: pop down toast menu lets you reply wothin any app without leaving it and goes away in 5 seconds if you dont choose to reply.

LED for notifcations. every phone has tried to get it forever be ut BlackBerry has the patent.

This is more like vs android this since iPhone does it pretty well. But all stock apps have incredible connectivity to eachother. Like onedrive is connected to docs to go flawlessly.

Browser has the fastest html5 browsing then any other phone and proven just google it.

There are more things I might add later but all core functionms of the Z30 is better then any other phone. We are just mising the apps and polish.

If we had those big apps in cascades they would be much faster then any android app on any Android. Its actually laughable. Its sad that we dont have those apps in cascades and maybe never will.

I wont list multitask since android has their own way of doing it. But person opinion I just think bb10 does it better.

Universal search is in the same boat as well. 2 ways to do it but BB10 does it a bit better and more organized then android.

But everything I listed you dont need an "app" to do because it is baked into the OS.
    People are starting to review the Z30 with out being biased and getting amazing reviews on the OS itself.

Thing I like about android is customization, widgets and google now.

BlackBerry can easily fix that by bringing theme api to the table, work on their "intelligent assistant"like we saw in 10.3. Polish it to make pinned (hopefully there will be an option to pin) active frames look nice.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by khehl; 03-31-14 at 09:15 AM.
    03-31-14 08:59 AM
    BlackBerry = dead OS walking

:0(

Posted via CB10
    03-31-14 09:28 AM

Instead of quoting everything, I'll respectfully use this as an example of why things are rarely absolutely true in tech.

For a lot of consumers, I think it's a matter of comfort in one or two core competencies... the rest of the features simply need to be good enough.

That may explain why other platforms are doing well.
    03-31-14 10:42 AM

Every basic phone function works better tthen itrs competition. I have a nexus 5 and 7 tab so I have compared. BB10 on yy Z30.

Native file manager, I can acess all my ckouds sd and even my computer. From all over the world.

Phone: this is Z30 specific. Paratek antenna. I have yet to not get an HD call on this phone with a week of having it.

Hardware: usually I dont care about hardware so much. But the speakers that are beter then. HTC ones and the battery on thos thing blows everyone out of the water.

Getting messages: pop down toast menu lets you reply wothin any app without leaving it and goes away in 5 seconds if you dont choose to reply.

LED for notifcations. every phone has tried to get it forever be ut BlackBerry has the patent.

This is more like vs android this since iPhone does it pretty well. But all stock apps have incredible connectivity to eachother. Like onedrive is connected to docs to go flawlessly.

Browser has the fastest html5 browsing then any other phone and proven just google it.

There are more things I might add later but all core functionms of the Z30 is better then any other phone. We are just mising the apps and polish.

If we had those big apps in cascades they would be much faster then any android app on any Android. Its actually laughable. Its sad that we dont have those apps in cascades and maybe never will.

I wont list multitask since android has their own way of doing it. But person opinion I just think bb10 does it better.

Universal search is in the same boat as well. 2 ways to do it but BB10 does it a bit better and more organized then android.

But everything I listed you dont need an "app" to do because it is baked into the OS.
    People are starting to review the Z30 with out being biased and getting amazing reviews on the OS itself.

BlackBerry can easily fix that by bringing theme api to the table, work on their "intelligent assistant"like we saw in 10.3. Polish it to make pinned (hopefully there will be an option to pin) active frames look nice.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah, that would kinda be what I would say and then some.
    03-31-14 05:27 PM
    If you and I were to subscribe to Laptop magazine there would be almost 100 people reading it.
    100? That many?
    04-01-14 06:54 AM
    It doesn't have anything to do with Skype or one drive. The point is that if they just built one drive for Blackberry which released not topping ago that there is still hope that maybe there might be office.

Posted via CB10
    04-01-14 07:20 AM
    It doesn't have anything to do with Skype or one drive. The point is that if they just built one drive for Blackberry which released not topping ago that there is still hope that maybe there might be office.

Posted via CB10
    But there is a One Drive app.

Posted via CB10
    04-01-14 08:29 AM

Posted via CB10
    I know... that's my point. if Microsoft built an app for one drive, there still hope that there may be one for office

Posted via CB10
    04-01-14 11:22 AM
    I know... that's my point. if Microsoft built an app for one drive, there still hope that there may be one for office

Posted via CB10
    Understood. Or they just view it as cloud storage for images which is what is usually shown in the ads.

Posted via CB10
    04-01-14 12:40 PM

Posted via CB10
    Yes, which BlackBerry coded.
    Doesn't mean we'll get Office, though we have Office Online.
    look_alive likes this.
    04-01-14 01:04 PM

Posted via CB10
    Except you didn't use the phrase "there is still hope" and you didn't write "maybe" the first time. What you wrote was this:

If Microsoft released skydrive and Skype for BlackBerry, they will release office for it
    That reads like an if/then statement to me; there's no "hope" or "maybe" to be found, and "they will release office" is far more definitive than "there is still hope."
    look_alive likes this.
    04-01-14 01:15 PM

Posted via CB10
    It's useless to compare the Z30 to "Android" because Android devices differ in functionality and hardware capabilities.

I know the Z30 can't hold a candle to my Note 3, objectively. It simply ins't on the same level. Many of the things you cite are simply better on the Note 3 than on the Z30.

Universal Search... You should try the S Finder app, which can even search in Handwritten text and find matches. It's an amazing implementation of Universal Search.

The Note 3 has a Notification LED, and it's RBG.

The Speaker is fine. I always use Headphones anyways.

Reception is fine. Paratek is only useful in low reception. You aren't getting HD calls without VoLTE or VoIP so I'm not sure what you mean by HD call quality. The device's earpiece is probably a bigger factor in that than the antenna, unless you're talking on the phone with one bar of GSM/1xRTT.

Notifications are fine. File Manager is fine.

All of Google's Apps hook into the Google Account on the phone, and integrate well enough with each other (though I use OneDrive/OneNote/Office in lieu of QuickOffice/Drive/Keep - the Microsoft apps integrate directly with each other, though).

You cannot "multi-task" on a Blackberry device. You task switch, you do not multi task. When we say multi-task, we're talking about doing two things at once, running multiple devices on the screen at once. All platforms task switch just fine. Even the iPhone and Windows Phone do that with aplomb.

Browser HTML5 tests are worthless. All browsers are fast. This is not 2010.

Notifications are fine on all platforms except Windows Phone. They desperately need a notification cache, which apparently is coming in the 8.1 update.

Widgets are of depreciating value now that so many apps make use of Push Notifications and Samsung has Notification Badges implemented in TouchWiz, which many apps have moved to take advantage of (Pinterest, Facebook, Twitter, to name a few - and of course all of Samsung's Apps).

Samsung has a ton of in-built functionality that goes way beyond what BB10 offers, and they all integrate with each other and tie to your Samsung Account - similar to the way Google apps function.

In the end, none of that matters if the person buying the phone wants a Blackberry and not a Samsung device, so this whole pissing contest on which is largely worthless.

You aren't saying anything anyone would not expect you to say. We're all aware of this site's URL.
    look_alive and Doggerz like this.
    04-01-14 10:45 PM
    It's useless to compare the Z30 to "Android" because Android devices differ in functionality and hardware capabilities.

I know the Z30 can't hold a candle to my Note 3, objectively. It simply ins't on the same level. Many of the things you cite are simply better on the Note 3 than on the Z30.

Universal Search... You should try the S Finder app, which can even search in Handwritten text and find matches. It's an amazing implementation of Universal Search.

The Note 3 has a Notification LED, and it's RBG.

The Speaker is fine. I always use Headphones anyways.

Reception is fine. Paratek is only useful in low reception. You aren't getting HD calls without VoLTE or VoIP so I'm not sure what you mean by HD call quality. The device's earpiece is probably a bigger factor in that than the antenna, unless you're talking on the phone with one bar of GSM/1xRTT.

Notifications are fine. File Manager is fine.

All of Google's Apps hook into the Google Account on the phone, and integrate well enough with each other (though I use OneDrive/OneNote/Office in lieu of QuickOffice/Drive/Keep - the Microsoft apps integrate directly with each other, though).

You cannot "multi-task" on a Blackberry device. You task switch, you do not multi task. When we say multi-task, we're talking about doing two things at once, running multiple devices on the screen at once. All platforms task switch just fine. Even the iPhone and Windows Phone do that with aplomb.

Browser HTML5 tests are worthless. All browsers are fast. This is not 2010.

Notifications are fine on all platforms except Windows Phone. They desperately need a notification cache, which apparently is coming in the 8.1 update.

Widgets are of depreciating value now that so many apps make use of Push Notifications and Samsung has Notification Badges implemented in TouchWiz, which many apps have moved to take advantage of (Pinterest, Facebook, Twitter, to name a few - and of course all of Samsung's Apps).

Samsung has a ton of in-built functionality that goes way beyond what BB10 offers, and they all integrate with each other and tie to your Samsung Account - similar to the way Google apps function.

In the end, none of that matters if the person buying the phone wants a Blackberry and not a Samsung device, so this whole pissing contest on which is largely worthless.

You aren't saying anything anyone would not expect you to say. We're all aware of this site's URL.
    This is what I have been saying. The different OS versions accomplish the same things for everyone but in different ways. What the trump card often seems to be is integration into a larger ecosystem. For example, why would someone give up their iPhone if they can share the same stuff across their phone, tablet, computer, and tv?

Posted via CB10
    04-01-14 11:12 PM
    This is what I have been saying. The different OS versions accomplish the same things for everyone but in different ways. What the trump card often seems to be is integration into a larger ecosystem. For example, why would someone give up their iPhone if they can share the same stuff across their phone, tablet, computer, and tv?

Posted via CB10
    Why would someone give up android with integration in their laptop, tablet, Chromecast and their Android device?

04-02-14 04:13 AM

-------------------
    Multitasking isn't just having 2 things on the screen at the same time. That doesn't make any sense

A multitasking OS is one that allows more than one program or app to run on it simultaneously.

Just because it's not on the screen does not mean it's not running in the background.

All OS can multitask. For example, on my Z30 I can be downloaded loading a large file from a USB drive to my SD card using OTG. At the same time I'm using the Video player to watch a movie on my TV using Miracast and the "Play On" feature. Meanwhile I'm using the browser and replying to BBM and TXT with toast notifications at no time leaving the browser.

The unified share function is unmatched. Android doesn't even have a unified share function

Zed30
    04-03-14 01:17 AM

-------------------
    Multitasking isn't just having 2 things on the screen at the same time. That doesn't make any sense

A multitasking OS is one that allows more than one program or app to run on it simultaneously.

Just because it's not on the screen does not mean it's not running in the background.

All OS can multitask. For example, on my Z30 I can be downloaded loading a large file from a USB drive to my SD card using OTG. At the same time I'm using the Video player to watch a movie on my TV using Miracast and the "Play On" feature. Meanwhile I'm using the browser and replying to BBM and TXT with toast notifications at no time leaving the browser.

The unified share function is unmatched. Android doesn't even have a unified share function

Zed30
    What is this unified share function? All the other background tasks that BlackBerry 10 can do most can be done besides Miracast I think, Samsung might have something for that.

04-03-14 05:40 AM
    What is this unified share function? All the other background tasks that BlackBerry 10 can do most can be done besides Miracast I think, Samsung might have something for that.

There is a share option from almost any OS app. I find this particularly useful.

Posted via CB10
    04-03-14 06:27 AM
179 ... 45678