How is the OS way ahead of others? While it is my preference as well, I don't see my family and friends falling way behind because their phone can't do something-it just does it in a different way.

Posted via CB10
    I should add "in my humble opinion" to what I said of course. The fact BlackBerry 10 handles many things different is the reason why I feel it's way ahead.

Multitasking for one is way closer to desktops on BlackBerry 10. Also the use of the micro kernel on a deep OS level is way more future proof than I can see on other platforms. Look how fast a BlackBerry 10 device still is after a year of full on abuse. This is not my experience with other platforms with way less abuse.

And no, experience wise your friends did not fall behind, because their phones do what they need them to do. My comment was directed at BlackBerry being behind only in third party developers support. The BlackBerry 10 OS being "way ahead" is perhaps an overstatement if objectively reviewed, but it is the way I experience it. Even without the "way" I still think at least its ahead.
    keepthetorch likes this.
    03-30-14 01:26 PM
    I should add "in my humble opinion" to what I said of course. The fact BlackBerry 10 handles many things different is the reason why I feel it's way ahead.

Multitasking for one is way closer to desktops on BlackBerry 10. Also the use of the micro kernel on a deep OS level is way more future proof than I can see on other platforms. Look how fast a BlackBerry 10 device still is after a year of full on abuse. This is not my experience with other platforms with way less abuse.

And no, experience wise your friends did not fall behind, because their phones do what they need them to do. My comment was directed at BlackBerry being behind only in third party developers support. The BlackBerry 10 OS being "way ahead" is perhaps an overstatement if objectively reviewed, but it is the way I experience it. Even without the "way" I still think at least its ahead.
    I can accept this. It certainly has potential. How far it goes has yet to be seen.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    keepthetorch likes this.
    03-30-14 01:33 PM
    How is it so ahead? I see this repeated so much on CrackBerry. Is it because of the Hub or Gestures?

Sent from my XT1060 using Mobile Nations mobile app
    Some features on BlackBerry 10 could easily be copied by others, I just don't know if the implementation would be better or worse. The core OS in my opinion (I should have said this in my earlier statement as well) handles the processes better than others. I hardly ever experience any lag and the OS is still as fast as ever.

That's why I mentioned the "core OS" and not the features like the HUB and Gestures (which on their own would have me choose BlackBerry 10 over others though). Features are features and the core is the core.

Look at the M8 having more lock screen gestures than BlackBerry 10. It would be a hard case to make that only the gestures on their own blow away entire Operating Systems that have been maturing for years now.
    03-30-14 01:33 PM
    Some features on BlackBerry 10 could easily be copied by others, I just don't know if the implementation would be better or worse. The core OS in my opinion (I should have said this in my earlier statement as well) handles the processes better than others. I hardly ever experience any lag and the OS is still as fast as ever.

That's why I mentioned the "core OS" and not the features like the HUB and Gestures (which on their own would have me choose BlackBerry 10 over others though). Features are features and the core is the core.

Look at the M8 having more lock screen gestures than BlackBerry 10. It would be a hard case to make that only the gestures on their own blow away entire Operating Systems that have been maturing for years now.
    FYI: I've had a Nexus 5 since day one. No lag. Pure Android also has potential. Both have the ability to fulfill the needs of its users.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    03-30-14 01:39 PM

I would argue there are devices from all platforms that last a while. It mainly depends on how hard the user uses the phone. My RAZR M runs just as good as it did when I got it in December of 2012. My Moto X is still running smoothly after 4 months.

TgeekB and anon(5828343) like this.
    03-30-14 02:06 PM

Different does not equate to better.

No one cares about if Multitasking is closer to desktops. They aren't using a Desktop. They're using a phone, and Blackberry trying to differ itself with such contrast to virtually every other platform actually causes confusion for consumers. Many of us have already spoken about how people get frustrated with the odd way the OS is navigated, which is done for no reason other than "because they can" and "because it's different."

How long do they expect "it multitasks closer to a desktop" and "swiping is cool" or "Hub and Peek are super nice" to remain a selling point (assuming it ever was)?

Blackberry 10 isn't ahead. It's just different. And different isn't always a selling point. Sometimes it's a sinker as users who go into a carrier store and try the device will likely become frustrated because they cannot even get to the home screen thanks to the fact that there are literally no visual clues on the device telling them what they have to do. This is all provided on Android/iOS/Windows Phone by either Hardware or Capacitive Buttons, nevermind those OSes are relatively familiar to everyone because they are way more popular or share similar design aspects to widely used desktop systems.

And Mult-Tasking on BB10 isn't anything close to a desktop. The only thing close to that is the Multi-Window that Samsung implemented on the Note 3.

Consumers are not concerned with the technical details of how software works under the hood. They're only concerned with whether or not the device is easy to use and allows them to do everything they want to do on that device. Specs are a means to an end, and given what the BB devices are capable of Software-wise (via built in and 3rd party apps), I can see why they were spec'd like mid-range devices (though that didn't help them, either).
    Last edited by n8ter#AC; 03-30-14 at 02:20 PM.
    03-30-14 02:07 PM

No one cares about if Multitasking is closer to desktops. They aren't using a Desktop. They're using a phone, and Blackberry trying to differ itself with such contrast to virtually every other platform actually causes confusion for consumers. Many of us have already spoken about how people get frustrated with the odd way the OS is navigated, which is done for no reason other than "because they can" and "because it's different."

How long do they expect "it multitasks closer to a desktop" and "swiping is cool" or "Hub and Peek are super nice" to remain a selling point (assuming it ever was)?

Blackberry 10 isn't ahead. It's just different. And different isn't always a selling point. Sometimes it's a sinker as users who go into a carrier store and try the device will likely become frustrated because they cannot even get to the home screen thanks to the fact that there are literally no visual clues on the device telling them what they have to do. This is all provided on Android/iOS/Windows Phone by either Hardware or Capacitive Buttons, nevermind those OSes are relatively familiar to everyone because they are way more popular or share similar design aspects to widely used desktop systems.

And Mult-Tasking on BB10 isn't anything close to a desktop. The only thing close to that is the Multi-Window that Samsung implemented on the Note 3.
    Multi window view is the best multitasking I have ever seen on a device. There is a reason the Galaxy Note 3 is named the best productivity smartphone (according to ArsTechnica). I used one in store and marveled at how easily multitasking is handled on the Note 3.

look_alive likes this.
    03-30-14 02:12 PM
    One more thing...

I think there is a bit of a disconnect here...

On one hand people complain about how BB10 is actually WORSE than BB7 for things like communications. Then there are people who complain about the mid-range specs of the devices. People have complained about performance issues, battery issues...

Then on the other hand someone chimes in and claims their Z10 gets battery life on par with a G2 or Note 3. The Specs of the Z30 are top-end. Their phones run Android apps better than Android phones (which is clearly untrue with even a cursory view of the forums).

BB10 was the Windows Vista of Mobile OSes when it was released. Battery life was terrible. Memory management was not good. There were tons of issues. It required high-end hardware (at that time) to run on mid-range devices (high end processor, 2GB RAM... The HTC One X/Int's GS3 ran with no issues on 1GB, and those were flagship devices). They couldn't even develop a cheap mid-range/low-end device because the OS required so many resources to run decently. It was like Playbook 2.0.

We all get to talk about how Android was back in 2010/11 on this forum, but it seems when it comes to Blackberry a lot of people have very short-term memories. The consumer market doesn't forget so quickly. That's not to even speak of the software issues that a lot of people had (Reboots, Disappearing Text Messages, Battery Drain, etc.).
    03-30-14 02:26 PM
    Multi window view is the best multitasking I have ever seen on a device. There is a reason the Galaxy Note 3 is named the best productivity smartphone (according to ArsTechnica). I used one in store and marveled at how easily multitasking is handled on the Note 3.

The "Drag and Drop" they implemented in the Note 3's Multi-Window is one of the most baller features I've ever used on a Smartphone, and the Scrapbooker feature/app they have is amazing.
    look_alive likes this.
    03-30-14 02:28 PM
    One more thing...

I think there is a bit of a disconnect here...

On one hand people complain about how BB10 is actually WORSE than BB7 for things like communications. Then there are people who complain about the mid-range specs of the devices. People have complained about performance issues, battery issues...

Then on the other hand someone chimes in and claims their Z10 gets battery life on par with a G2 or Note 3. The Specs of the Z30 are top-end. Their phones run Android apps better than Android phones (which is clearly untrue with even a cursory view of the forums).

BB10 was the Windows Vista of Mobile OSes when it was released. Battery life was terrible. Memory management was not good. There were tons of issues. It required high-end hardware (at that time) to run on mid-range devices (high end processor, 2GB RAM... The HTC One X/Int's GS3 ran with no issues on 1GB, and those were flagship devices). They couldn't even develop a cheap mid-range/low-end device because the OS required so many resources to run decently. It was like Playbook 2.0.

We all get to talk about how Android was back in 2010/11 on this forum, but it seems when it comes to Blackberry a lot of people have very short-term memories. The consumer market doesn't forget so quickly. That's not to even speak of the software issues that a lot of people had (Reboots, Disappearing Text Messages, Battery Drain, etc.).
    That's the one thing everyone forgets in these forums is the random reboots. It took months for it to be fixed.

03-30-14 02:39 PM
    Instagram finally works fully! Even video!

Posted via CB10
    03-30-14 02:46 PM

Thank you for a reasonable response.

I often hear of Android phones getting bogged down after a while, but I am sure it is not the norm anyway. Plus, a lot of people I know don't keep a specific phone for too long. I have had my Q10 for almost a year. It still works pretty well although a few small things bug me that happen that didn't before.

I constantly find myself saying to my wife how my phone does something a certain way. She usually just says my Galaxy S3 can do that too.

Posted via CB10
    03-30-14 02:54 PM
    Realistically though, why would you include an OS that is 0.6% of the market?
    Because the point was about picking the right OS, and considering BB10 is an excellent and robust mobile operating system, it should be worthy of mention. In the text quoted from the article, it was glossed over like an afterthought, like it is not even worth considering. I don't think the way it was phrased had anything to do with your 0.6% statistic, nor should it.

How much of the market in cars does Tesla (a great company) have, and would you consider it a worthy contender since it has one of the best safety records in the entire automotive industry? Tesla wasn't even around until recently, but BlackBerry has been for years and that gives even more reason for it to also be recommended.

I'm not saying there's harm in it as much as I'm saying you shouldn't be surprised. Blackberry is not a part of the consumer market talk anywhere but here. When you compare things you pick the top few selling, not every last product.
    That's fine ... then they should leave the negative connotations and references out in that case if they have nothing positive to say. Stop defending and apologizing for these writers. They are biased against BlackBerry, the same way you are and that's the underlying reason the tone has an overall negative vibe.

Sorry if you don't like the sound of that, but that is the truth. You demonstrate it first hand.
    03-30-14 02:59 PM
    Because the point was about picking the right OS, and considering BB10 is an excellent and robust mobile operating system, it should be worthy of mention. In the text quoted from the article, it was glossed over like an afterthought, like it is not even worth considering. I don't think the way it was phrased had anything to do with your 0.6% statistic, nor should it.

How much of the market in cars does Tesla (a great company) have, and would you consider it a worthy contender since it has one of the best safety records in the entire automotive industry? Tesla wasn't even around until recently, but BlackBerry has been for years and that gives even more reason for it to also be recommended.
    Even if it was mentioned someone would have complained how they didn't mention x or didn't properly explain y. Its always something.

03-30-14 03:04 PM

Well, Tesla is priced way beyond what a normal consumer would purchase. BlackBerry phones were priced similarly to their competition and still didn't sell.

Posted via CB10
    look_alive likes this.
    03-30-14 03:04 PM
    Well, Tesla is priced way beyond what a normal consumer would purchase. BlackBerry phones were priced similarly to their competition and still didn't sell.

Posted via CB10
    That was a problem. They should have priced them lower that way consumers would be less scared to try it out.

03-30-14 03:10 PM
    FYI: I've had a Nexus 5 since day one. No lag. Pure Android also has potential. Both have the ability to fulfill the needs of its users.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    Stock Android definitely has its merits over Touch Wiz, Sense etcetera. The more bloatware is put on top, the harder it is to produce the same results after a long time of heavy use.

I never denied the ability to fulfill the user's needs as the current smartphone market has already proved this.
    03-30-14 03:14 PM

Consumers are not concerned with the technical details of how software works under the hood. They're only concerned with whether or not the device is easy to use and allows them to do everything they want to do on that device. Specs are a means to an end, and given what the BB devices are capable of Software-wise (via built in and 3rd party apps), I can see why they were spec'd like mid-range devices (though that didn't help them, either).
    I think you should really read my posts again and look towards the things I replied to. I also think you should put the words "in my opinion" in your post about 5 times.
    03-30-14 03:47 PM
    Interesting that many of the comments here are made by people and businesses that have either less market share or less volume than blackberry or possibly both.
    What market share does laptop magazine have? Is it relevant? Wouldn't it be a nice world if the corner store only carried the top 2 magazines. Wow big choice.

Sent while driving from my Crackberry.
    03-30-14 04:01 PM

That's fine ... then they should leave the negative connotations and references out in that case if they have nothing positive to say. Stop defending and apologizing for these writers. They are biased against BlackBerry, the same way you are and that's the underlying reason the tone has an overall negative vibe.

Sorry if you don't like the sound of that, but that is the truth. You demonstrate it first hand.
    That's a pretty poor comparison. You really think Blackberry is like Tesla?

Sorry it hurts your feelings when someone doesn't praise Blackberry like you think they should. I'm using a Q10 right now (giving it a fair shot) and could care less what every magazine thinks. Its an opinion. We all have them. I will use what I want.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    Tre Lawrence likes this.
    03-30-14 04:08 PM
    Microsoft software has released Office for IOS and Android. It's free to use for mobile. I tried it. It's a game changer.

Office for mobile is indicative of the future of mobile computing. The services and applications of your choosing, available on all major platforms.

Like many major services and applications there is no official BlackBerry support.

It's unfair to dismiss the fact that BlackBerry support is lacking or nonexistent for many if not most new products/services/applications.

It's 2014. My smartphone Became more than a device for email/voice/sms years ago. BB10 may well be a quality OS, the problem however is that it's about so much more than that.

To not recommend a niche product on a buyer's guide targeted to mainstream buyer's is not bias. BlackBerry at this point is hobbyist/specialty product. That's not a knock on the platform, it's just the truth.
    If Microsoft released skydrive and Skype for BlackBerry, they will release office for it

Posted via CB10
    03-30-14 04:22 PM
    I don't see the comparison here at all. As you acknowledge, Tesla is a new company that is, in many ways, fighting two different entrenched systems: the internal combustion engine and auto sales via dealerships. Their marketshare is puny, but as you admit, it's a new company, and because its trajectory is entirely upward it's never held larger marketshare than it does now.

Honestly, does the above sound like BBRY at all? If so, how?
    03-30-14 04:31 PM
    Perhaps because the core OS is way ahead of the competition. The only thing BlackBerry 10 is lacking is third party developers support. And the OS is more than capable of running those third party applications.
    The core OS cannot be ahead of the competition precisely because of the lack of third party development. Given these realities one would have to cite specific use cases in which BlackBerry outperforms competitors.

Lack of compatibility with /support for the services/products/software/carriers that most people are actually using is definitely a reason to excluded BlackBerry.

If the article were to actually discuss pros vs cons in choosing BlackBerry I'm sure there would be many on these forums ranting about bias.
    DenverRalphy and look_alive like this.
    03-30-14 05:09 PM
    I don't see the comparison here at all. Aanou acknowledge, Tesla is a new company that is, in many ways, fighting two different entrenched systems: the internal combustion engine and auto sales via dealerships. Their marketshare is puny, but as you admit, it's a new company, and because its trajectory is entirely upward it's never held larger marketshare than it does now.

Honestly, does the above sound like BBRY at all? If so, how?
    Its a nonsensical comparison both in terms of business hiastory , finances, and model. But even that leaves out the most basic difference - the car isn't dependent on software applications. What people here chronically don't get, despite some of us telling them for years now (and despite them being awe struck by heins "insight") - smartphones are computers. It is the primary difference between feature phones and smartphone.

If all you need is a feature phone - check mail, text, call, basic internet - get a feature phone if you can find one. Save money, easy to use, reliable, durable...

But for most people who use a computer - having apps , or at least potential to have apps, is of paramount importance. Especially for the power user or " prosumer" if you will. Next and IBM had great operating systems but I didn't recommend them for that obvious.

The closest thing one could say about Tesla would be that parts and service won't be really available. And that of course IS a consideration for most car buyers, but that is only in play when the car needs service. If Tesla sold you a car with no wheels, No power train, no tranny, no radio, no seats, and none were available - then you'd have a good rough analogy. People on cracvkberry would say: well, the body is the best!!! And sometimes Toyota seats work with a few caveats, and maybe future BMW transmissions will work...
    03-30-14 05:20 PM
    If Microsoft released skydrive and Skype for BlackBerry, they will release office for it

Posted via CB10
    So consumers buying devices until it's released or announced should assume they will?

Will they code for BB10 or just port the Android version?
    03-30-14 05:25 PM
179 ... 34567 ...