Something tells me even if they had included BlackBerry 10, someone would still be complaining about how they missed some features of it or something or the other.
    Absolutely. Its a no win situation.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    03-30-14 08:45 AM
    Something tells me even if they had included BlackBerry 10, someone would still be complaining about how they missed some features of it or something or the other.
    If they had included BB10; They would have mentioned the low amount of apps compared to other platforms and subsequently raged at for not pointing out the ability to support Android apps. Or they would include the ability to run Android apps, but still raged at for painting them in a bad light should they do their due diligence and point out that not all Android apps will work due to lack of support for Play Services and the Play Store. It's a no win situation for both BBRY and the Magazine. Leaving it out was probably for the better, even if it is a tough pill to swallow for BBRY and the BB faithful.
    anon(5061193) and richardat like this.
    03-30-14 08:57 AM
    I don't think the majority of people have even heard of "laptop magazine." Definitely not the casual crowd.

Posted via CB10
    sites like these will tell you, you are completely wrong Laptopmag.com Site Info When you are one of the top 10,000 websites in the world. I think you'd be getting a bit of traffic from the ordinary folk.

The question is if people even use it for phones. Probably not. But it's still easy to stumble upon.
    03-30-14 09:16 AM
    Think about a person buying ANY product.... you do research and hopefully buy the right product..... If I went to this magazine for advice on purchasing a smartphone.... I would not even consider BB.... Why would I, after reading that?...... It is vital for the survival of the company that they get some decent press SOMEWHERE.... We may know that BB is awesome but the general public thinks they are dead or dying or at the least irrelevant.....
    To be fair, of late it is understandable why the general public would think BBRY is dead or dying, the company financials haven't indicated a healthy, thriving company, and the very low sales figures of BB10 devices could lead people to conclude irrelevance in the smartphone market where millions upon millions of devices are sold quarterly for the other big players. This isn't to say that BBRY can't fight their way back but for now the assumptions people are making of them are logical (although perhaps premature) when compared to other platforms.
    anon(5061193), Drew808 and riss89 like this.
    03-30-14 09:25 AM
    to be honest, in some perspectives it's good that Blackberry is getting out of the North American public eye. I do like how there are some tech bloggers/analysts talking about the underdog story. But everyone just say how it has a lack of apps and are mostly wrong on the features.

I would rather a bit of good news come up now and then, to recreate the iconic brand. The reason why they became that iconic brand is because of enterprise and world of mouth. Back then they had a good business model. Sadly, these days almost any phone can be used for enterprise.

The reason why I said North American above is because in other parts of the world, the media is all positive towards blackberry. Right now in India it is selling like hotcakes and now they ran out of Z10s (soon to be Z30s) for the 2ND TIME IN A MONTH. They are working to get their 3rd Z10 shipment as we speak.
    My guess is that all those BBOS7 outselling BB10 2:1 were in third world countries.
    The Z3 will hopefully supplement those sales and personally judging by India sales after they start to die down a bit for the Z10. Throw the Z3 at them and watch them pick up again.
    anon(5061193) likes this.
    03-30-14 09:29 AM
    to be honest, in some perspectives it's good that Blackberry is getting out of the North American public eye. I do like how there are some tech bloggers/analysts talking about the underdog story. But everyone just say how it has a lack of apps and are mostly wrong on the features.

I would rather a bit of good news come up now and then, to recreate the iconic brand. The reason why they became that iconic brand is because of enterprise and world of mouth. Back then they had a good business model. Sadly, these days almost any phone can be used for enterprise.

The reason why I said North American above is because in other parts of the world, the media is all positive towards blackberry. Right now in India it is selling like hotcakes and now they ran out of Z10s (soon to be Z30s) for the 2ND TIME IN A MONTH. They are working to get their 3rd Z10 shipment as we speak.
    My guess is that all those BBOS7 outselling BB10 2:1 were in third world countries.
    The Z3 will hopefully supplement those sales and personally judging by India sales after they start to die down a bit for the Z10. Throw the Z3 at them and watch them pick up again.
    I'm not sure "hotcakes" is the right word.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    03-30-14 09:30 AM
    I'm not sure "hotcakes" is the right word.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    They sold out less then a day, 2 times in a row? Some stores sold out in 30 minutes.

An expensive phone like the Q10 which isn't reduced in price is the 3rd best selling phone in India. (well i just looked at multiple sources and they are all different but there is at least 2 BB10 [Z10,Q10,Q5] phones in the top 10 on every source i looked at)

with a 1.2billion population. I will cut that in half to be fair because obviously not everyone in India has a cellphone like in North American (500mil population) is hugee
    Last edited by khehl; 03-30-14 at 09:56 AM.
    03-30-14 09:45 AM
    They sold out less then a day 2 times in a row? Some stores sold out in 30 minutes.
    How many? Samsung sells like hotcakes.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    03-30-14 09:46 AM

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    Yes, samsung is the first but blackberry always seems to be after it.

Blackberry should be sending most of their Z10s to india, there are so many on preorder it's insane. People that had preorder for the second shipment still didn't get their Z10 yet and have to wait until the next shipment.
    Example: http://www.bbin.in/2014/03/blackberr...ghout-country/ "500 Z10s PER day" if that is not the definition of selling like hotcakes, i don't know what is.

Once it dies down send out the Z3 to keep sales flowing.
    03-30-14 10:06 AM
    They sold out less then a day, 2 times in a row? Some stores sold out in 30 minutes.

An expensive phone like the Q10 which isn't reduced in price is the 3rd best selling phone in India.

with a 1.2billion population. I will cut that in half to be fair because obviously not everyone in India has a cellphone like in North American (500mil population) is hugee
    How do you sell out in a day, twice in a row? Are you trying to say that the entire stock of Q10's in the 2nd biggest country in the world by population suddenly sold out in a single day during daylight hours and shipments came in overnight and re stocked all stores to maximum capacity and then sold out again nationwide? Doesn't sound very plausible to me.

Selling out doesn't tell as anything unless we know how much stock was present in the first place. With the amounts of BlackBerry 10 units they shipped being well under 10 million in total (I think it's around 7 million?), I'm not expecting a jaw dropping number for how many of those went to India, even if demand for it seems to be going up.

Although I didn't know that the Q10 was the 3rd best selling phone there. That's pretty impressive.

Posted via CB10
    TgeekB likes this.
    03-30-14 10:08 AM

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    Hot cakes don't even sell that well nowadays..

Posted via CB10
    TgeekB, JeepBB and richardat like this.
    03-30-14 10:10 AM
    I haven't looked at Laptop Magazine (tend to prefer AnandTech and Ars Technica for my PC articles).
    Your preferences are right on. AnandTech is very detailed and clear-eyed, especially when it comes to analysis of Apple products. Ars Technica and Engadget are sometimes good too.

Those are in a different league from Laptop magazine which used to be good, but isn't anymore. Among the others, Gizmodo/CNet are just a bunch of hipsters (except Brian Cooley on cars, bless him). :-)
    03-30-14 10:15 AM
    How do you sell out in a day, twice in a row? Are you trying to say that the entire stock of Q10's in the 2nd biggest country in the world by population suddenly sold out in a single day during daylight hours and shipments came in overnight and re stocked all stores to maximum capacity and then sold out again nationwide? Doesn't sound very plausible to me.

Selling out doesn't tell as anything unless we know how much stock was present in the first place. With the amounts of BlackBerry 10 units they shipped being well under 10 million in total (I think it's around 7 million?), I'm not expecting a jaw dropping number for how many of those went to India, even if demand for it seems to be going up.

Although I didn't know that the Q10 was the 3rd best selling phone there. That's pretty impressive.

Posted via CB10
    1. not talking about Q10's first of all. That was just an example.
    2. Read the whole conversation not jump in the middle
    3. read my last post ""500 Z10s per day" is the product amount you were looking for. Obviously not at the momment because they can't even keep stock and preorders are going through the roof.

Q10 being the 3rd best selling phone was inaccurate because every source is completely different. BUT 2 BB10 phones are (Q5, Q10, Z10) are all on the top 10 of most sources. The only phone that seems to be accurate in these sites is samsung and blackberry is always 1-3.

But yes, I did find the Q10 part interesting as well. Even in Canada it is still one of the most expensive phones but those Indian prices are nuts. while the S4 is cheaper in india then the Q10 there are Samsung's under 100$ Canadian there that are still rocking 4.2.2 jelly bean.
    03-30-14 10:16 AM
    3. read my last post ""500 Z10s per day" is the product amount you were looking for.
    1. So you mean to say that they didn't actually sell out in less than a day twice in a row?
    2. Sorry about that, it was the first thing on the last page (which I jumped to). I just felt there was something odd about that particular post.
    3. If they sold out at a rate of 500 Z's a day, I'm not exactly overwhelmed. Although you did say that the Q10 sold better. Do you know how the Q5 is holding up there? Curious to know.

Edit: I just read your post again and saw that you said it was probably much higher when stock was high too. Glad to hear. Do you know the figures during that time?

Posted via CB10
    03-30-14 10:27 AM
    As people have said before, Blackberry may have a chance to become more relevant if they can capture some of the low-end market in Asia.

It's working for Nokia with the cheaper Windows Phones. If BB spends some money portraying BB10 devices as cool and 'upper-class', they may stand a chance in Asia. If that happens, they may be able to claw back some of the market.

BB10 is a great platform, but they're not getting anywhere in the North American market, which is pretty much saturated already. Their focus should be elsewhere.
    03-30-14 10:33 AM

Posted via CB10
    3. read my last post ""500 Z10s per day" is the product amount you were looking for. Obviously not at the momment because they can't even keep stock and preorders are going through the roof.

Q10 being the 3rd best selling phone was inaccurate because every source is completely different. BUT 2 BB10 phones are (Q5, Q10, Z10) are all on the top 10 of most sources. The only phone that seems to be accurate in these sites is samsung and blackberry is always 1-3.

But yes, I did find the Q10 part interesting as well. Even in Canada it is still one of the most expensive phones but those Indian prices are nuts. while the S4 is cheaper in india then the Q10 there are Samsung's under 100$ Canadian there that are still rocking 4.2.2 jelly bean.
    What I just thought of that is also interesting. I don't see any BBOS7 devices on any top 20 charts when they are outselling BB10 2:1 or 3:1(can someone clarify, i don't want to read the whole press release again haha) in the world judging by Q4 results.

These bbos devices must only be selling in south america or asia. Does anyone know exactly where they are selling, backed up with sources? They certainly aren't selling in europe, north america or india by the looks of it. (could be wrong)
    03-30-14 10:46 AM
    What I just thought of that is also interesting. I don't see any BBOS7 devices on any top 20 charts when they are outselling BB10 2:1 or 3:1(can someone clarify, i don't want to read the whole press release again haha) in the world judging by Q4 results.

These bbos devices must only be selling in south america or asia. Does anyone know exactly where they are selling, backed up with sources? They certainly aren't selling in europe, north america or india by the looks of it. (could be wrong)
    I don't have any sources, but I think it's just the fact that there are so many Legacy models that there's no single standout one, but there's so many that they add up to be more than the four BB10 devices we have so far.

It's just what I'm thinking. There must be an explanation.

Posted via CB10
    anon(5818411) likes this.
    03-30-14 10:52 AM
    If they had included BB10; They would have mentioned the low amount of apps compared to other platforms and subsequently raged at for not pointing out the ability to support Android apps. Or they would include the ability to run Android apps, but still raged at for painting them in a bad light should they do their due diligence and point out that not all Android apps will work due to lack of support for Play Services and the Play Store. It's a no win situation for both BBRY and the Magazine. Leaving it out was probably for the better, even if it is a tough pill to swallow for BBRY and the BB faithful.
    Exactly this.

Sent from my XT1060 using Mobile Nations mobile app
    03-30-14 11:08 AM
    Realistically though, why would you include an OS that is 0.6% of the market?

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    Perhaps because the core OS is way ahead of the competition. The only thing BlackBerry 10 is lacking is third party developers support. And the OS is more than capable of running those third party applications.
    03-30-14 11:14 AM
    I don't have any sources, but I think it's just the fact that there are so many Legacy models that there's no single standout one, but there's so many that they add up to be more than the four BB10 devices we have so far.

It's just what I'm thinking. There must be an explanation.

Posted via CB10
    very true but to target a region. Maybe it is Indonesia, which is why they are selling Z3 exclusively to them (for now). Last i read, they were losing subscribers to android since BBM release. Which completely contradicts my thought haha.

Although i can't find any Indonesia cellphone charts anywhere.
    Last edited by khehl; 03-30-14 at 11:26 AM.
    03-30-14 11:14 AM
    Perhaps because the core OS is way ahead of the competition. The only thing BlackBerry 10 is lacking is third party developers support. And the OS is more than capable of running those third party applications.
    How is the OS way ahead of others? While it is my preference as well, I don't see my family and friends falling way behind because their phone can't do something-it just does it in a different way.

Posted via CB10
    03-30-14 11:39 AM
    How is the OS way ahead of others? While it is my preference as well, I don't see my family and friends falling way behind because their phone can't do something-it just does it in a different way.

Posted via CB10
    Its a delusion some people have. Because it works for them it must be "best".

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    Drew808 likes this.
    03-30-14 12:17 PM
    Irrelevant.

Who is going to define "the best" and have it accepted universally for all consumers?

There is no "the best" that will be accepted by everyone.

There is only "the best" for you, the individual.

"Most popular", something that is easily quantifiable by the sales numbers, therefore used as a reference point by the writer.

And if "most popular" wasn't working for the consumer it wouldn't get that moniker.
    Hmm, remind me of the "animal spirit" book I am reading. American psychology.

Posted via CB10
    03-30-14 12:37 PM
    How is it so ahead? I see this repeated so much on CrackBerry. Is it because of the Hub or Gestures?

Sent from my XT1060 using Mobile Nations mobile app
    03-30-14 12:46 PM
    Blackberry is struggling not because of the media or the sales staff at carrier stores or Android or iOS, BBRY is struggling because of poor leadership, poor business strategies, inexistent marketing and sales plans, poor product launches, poor carrier relationships and the list goes on and on and on. All of the reasons for BBRY's current predicament can be blamed on Blackberry's management and board. There just isn't any point in continuing the "woe is Blackberry" refrain that seeks to find boogeymen in all sorts of places since the only ones who can be fairly blamed for the mess we continue to see from BBRY are the team managing the company and the board that continues to support them.
    Drew808 likes this.
    03-30-14 01:01 PM
179 ... 23456 ...