If it was so successful why would they stop making it?
    you need to ask Motorola that. I don't figure you want to know if it undermines your position. and you don't address the points that contradict yours.

You're right, it isn't about me. It's about the market and demand.
    And you have no data and paper thin assumptions about why things are made, and a baffling notion that everything that people want is made, which carries with it the notion that EVERY popular thing is made, and that unpopular things would never be made because there are all those sure-fire popular things to make, as If success is easy and predictable and guaranteed, which is preposterous.

Stop being silly.

Prove don't want sliders. You do. But, as you said it's not all about you.
    Again with the silly opinions stated as facts. Does your s.o. have to resist the urge to slap you a lot?
    05-21-14 12:02 AM
    you need to ask Motorola that. I don't figure you want to know if it undermines your position. and you don't address the points that contradict yours.

Again with the silly opinions stated as facts. Does your s.o. have to resist the urge to slap you a lot?
    I absolutely love it. You're really making my day. You think that companies are refusing to make money by selling things that people want.

That's great. I think that you would do well in the Soviet Union in 1965. Let's see Comrade, what should we do today. Oh I know let's make some phones. If they sell then great, if not who cares. It was worth the millions in R&D on a chance.

At the same time, Comrade, maybe we should stop making those slider phones that everyone loves and that we are making a ton of money on.

ROTFL

And you have no data and paper thin assumptions about why things are made, and a baffling notion that everything that people want is made, which carries with it the notion that EVERY popular thing is made, and that unpopular things would never be made because there are all those sure-fire popular things to make, as If success is easy and predictable and guaranteed, which is preposterous.
    You're right my MBA has taught me nothing about how the market works. I wasted so much time taking classes on economics in my post secondary education.

I should have taken classes on PE. (That's the planned economy, Comrade)

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    Last edited by crazigee; 05-21-14 at 12:43 AM.
    05-21-14 12:24 AM
    I gotta say, I'm unlikely to want to take "how to live well" advice from someone with that attitude. Sorry, but it's true...
    You seemed to take this personally. Please do not disrespect my channel or its subscribers

@BruvvaPete :Channel: C0012176F. Live well
    05-21-14 12:59 AM
    I URGENTLY Want a slider! I used to love my 9800. There is definitely a market for it. Make it out of Titanium with a 5" screen and all my fantasies have become reality.

Z10STL100-2/10.2.1.2141 O2 UK
    Doggerz and vpblaze like this.
    05-21-14 01:30 AM
    Who, Apple? No, they won't make one ever.

Who else... LG / Samsung? They both make sliders. Not upmarket ones, and that's their choice, but for every product made that is a flop there are unmade products that would be a success.... so your circular reasoning simply doesn't stand up to scrutiny. It's glib, but doesn't reflect the subjective nature of the lines of business companies want to pursue, whether or not there is a market for it.

Also, only BlackBerry has the patents to manufacture the best keyboard in the market, and lots of other vendors don't even try to compete, because their keyboard implementations would not be great.

The very first really SUCCESSFUL Android device, the Motorola Droid, was a slider. Why more sliders aren't manufactured is a good question, but it's not so simple as "if there was enough demand...".

I gotta say, I'm unlikely to want to take "how to live well" advice from someone with that attitude. Sorry, but it's true.
    So true! If BlackBerry released a slider, I'd be all over it on day one of release. I used my Torch closed for most things but when I needed to get some work done, the physical keyboard was there for me.

Doggerz likes this.
    05-21-14 01:33 AM
    Honest question: has there been a slider made on one of the modern OS's?
    Palm Computing's entire smartphone platform was based on a slider just a few years ago. They had a ton of hardware problems which was a big part of then getting the cold shoulder from the carriers. There will always be more issues with moving parts. The Microsoft Sidekick flopped also.

Sliders have had a very bad track record in the market over the past five years. You can't say they haven't been tried.
    05-21-14 01:41 AM
    I must admit I'm a fan of sliding phones. The first one I owned was a Siemens SL55, then a Samsung D500 (great phone and still going strong after eight and a half years) and my first BlackBerry slider the 9810. I think the reason you don't see many sliders on the market now days is because most modern OS's are all touch so why would there be a need for a slide mechanism? Having said that, BlackBerry are different in that their keyboard is still popular with BlackBerry users so I think a BB10 slider could do well as you lose no screen real estate but still have the option of the keyboard if needed.
    05-21-14 02:45 AM
    I URGENTLY Want a slider! I used to love my 9800. There is definitely a market for it. Make it out of Titanium with a 5" screen and all my fantasies have become reality.

I like the way this guy thinks! Titanium all the way!!!

Scribbled on my Note 3 then magically translated into readable words using Tapatalk
    guygardner73 likes this.
    05-21-14 05:37 AM
    You seemed to take this personally. Please do not disrespect my channel or its subscribers

With your "give up it's pointless" attitude respectfully I suspect your subscribers are poorly served or your PR skills need work.

Posted via CB10
    05-21-14 08:25 AM
    With your "give up it's pointless" attitude respectfully I suspect your subscribers are poorly served or your PR skills need work.
    Posted via CB10
    To take general statements and opinions and make them personal shows quite a degree of immaturity. Have a nice day.

05-21-14 08:28 AM
    To take general statements and opinions and make them personal shows quite a degree of immaturity. Have a nice day.

He isn't worth it. He's obviously very immature. I get being passionate about your opinion, but there is no reason to become person.

People should be able to passionately discuss their views in a mature and intelligent way.

05-21-14 08:36 AM

I'm not taking it personally, I just find it confusing that you espouse "living well" and I bet the likes of Deepak Chopra do not espouse "post cynical sarcastic one-line comments to technology discussion forums" as a step on the path to "living well". If you feel insulted, make lemonade out of my lemon of a comment and consider it "constructive criticism". Now THAT'S some good advice right there.
    Bbnivende likes this.
    05-21-14 09:09 AM
    Most likely BlackBerry figures that if you really want a physical keyboard device that you will be better served by the Q20 or the Q30 . Unfortunately the whole physical keyboard market is so small that the sales of a slider would just end up cannibalizing sales of their Q line up rather than increasing overall sales.

Too late now but most likely the development of the Q20 would not have been necessary and the perceived need for a slider would have been diminished had they made something like this: http://i.imgur.com/70zIhAh.jpg
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 05-21-14 at 10:28 AM.
    05-21-14 09:27 AM
    I like the way this guy thinks! Titanium all the way!!!

Scribbled on my Note 3 then magically translated into readable words using Tapatalk
    The ad could read "Milled from a solid block of Titanium... F*** You HTC."

vpblaze likes this.
    05-21-14 12:10 PM
    Welk, fact is, over the months I've read several forum posts asking for a slider. Comparred with the posts about "we want the toolbeld back" this ask is far more superior. And yet, mister Chen decides to focus on a phone with toolbeld/trackpad over a slider phone, saying "we listen to what our costumers want and we reply that call". I think a slider would please much more men than a trackpad!
    05-21-14 01:57 PM
    Adding a sliding keyboard is so limiting that you really can't consider it anything but an integral part of the experience. You are adding significant bulk, creating hardware failure points, and effectively limiting your input UI to landscape or portrait. You aren't going to want to be using a landscape virtual keyboard when you have the physical keyboard tucked away.

In other words, a slider is in no way a slab with an optional keyboard. It's a keyboard smartphone with more screen real estate and an extra physical step required for typing.
    Last edited by early2bed; 05-21-14 at 02:26 PM.
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    05-21-14 02:01 PM
    My first slider was a Nokia 6270. Never used a BB slider before but would be interested in one if done nicely and since sliders would be thicker, more opportunity to put the latest and greatest spec in it + a BIG battery too.

Sliding up to answer a call is fun and fast. No need to look for that button or the screen. Just slide up and start yapping.
    05-21-14 02:13 PM
    Welk, fact is, over the months I've read several forum posts asking for a slider. Comparred with the posts about "we want the toolbeld back" this ask is far more superior. And yet, mister Chen decides to focus on a phone with toolbeld/trackpad over a slider phone, saying "we listen to what our costumers want and we reply that call". I think a slider would please much more men than a trackpad!
    If you owned a 3.1 inch screened phone you would miss the tool belt too. The question is the best way to build a physical keyboard phone with a screen larger than 3.5 inches.

Posted via CB10
    05-21-14 02:29 PM
    I'm not taking it personally, I just find it confusing that you espouse "living well" and I bet the likes of Deepak Chopra do not espouse "post cynical sarcastic one-line comments to technology discussion forums" as a step on the path...
    You know nothing about my channel, yet you think it's proper to insult it and the fine people who choose to be a part of it. Grow up.

05-21-14 03:50 PM
    Crackberry isn't enough to determine that there is sufficient demand to justify creating a new product.

05-21-14 07:51 PM
    Palm Computing's entire smartphone platform was based on a slider just a few years ago. They had a ton of hardware problems which was a big part of then getting the cold shoulder from the carriers. There will always be more issues with moving parts. The Microsoft Sidekick flopped also.

Sliders have had a very bad track record in the market over the past five years. You can't say they haven't been tried.
    And this is probably why. Damn moving parts. Moving parts are techs bane. The simpler the better and the cheaper to make - better than better. Sliders are tough from a technical standpoint - which is, I believe, one of the real reasons they aren't made that much.

Of course, there may not be that much demand for them. I have no idea if there is or isn't. But other than the technical issues, I can't see a downside to having screen real estate and a keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    05-21-14 09:54 PM
    My points have mostly been made here. I, too, had a 9800, but I found it was a very compromised phone; heavy, and the keyboard was too small to be useful (it felt like heaven when I upgraded to a 9900). To me, a slider is really cool for the first three days you own it, then it gets old.

The one question I'd ask: is anyone actually making a high-end slider now? If they aren't, it's probably because the manufacturers have determined that there's not enough market to justify the expense.
    05-21-14 10:04 PM
    Now the obvious factor in this thread, like most others, is that this is subjective. So what I like may be different to what John Doe or Sarah Jane likes....So if you want to bag my preference or opinion, I wont be offended or bite back, simply because I don't care.
    I had a 9800 and loved it, however it lacked power and the new os (was os6 at the time) So I purchased 9810 and was the best phone I ever had. Remember the Motorola Razor? Design wise absolute brilliant phone and way ahead of its time, something like that in a slider with all the latest tech, I would be all over it, like stink on a monkey! I believe there would be a market for a high end, well speced, well designed slider. When it comes to flagships of every company, they are all the same form factor. In my opinion, an alternative form would be nice.
    Last edited by TinMan555; 05-22-14 at 11:36 PM. Reason: missed a word
    Doggerz and vpblaze like this.
    05-22-14 04:32 AM
    Now the obvious factor in this thread, like most others, is that this is subjective. So what I like may be different to what John Doe or Sarah Jane likes....So if you want to bag my preference or opinion, I wont be offended or bite back, simply because I don't care.
    I had a 9800 and loved it, however it lacked power and the new os (was os6 at the time) So I purchased 9810 and was the best phone I ever had. Remember the Motorola Razor? Design wise absolute brilliant phone and way ahead of its time, something like that in a slider with all the latest tech, I would be all over like stink on a monkey! I believe there would be a market for a high end, well speced, well designed slider. When it comes to flagships of every company, they are all the same form factor. In my opinion, an alternative form would be nice.
    It isn't subjective at all. The issue isn't who likes sliders or whether they are good. The issue is whether there is sufficient demand to justify BlackBerry making one.

There isn't.

There are lots of products that I don't like, but for which there is lots of demand. One example would be the Snuggie. Whether I like the Snuggie and want to buy one is, as you said subjective. Whether there is sufficient demand to justify them producing the Snuggie is objective.

I don't like the Snuggie I think it is the most ridiculous thing. A blanket with arms. It's stupid. The thing is that there is huge demand for it. So then the debate becomes subjective. Who likes it and who doesn't and why.

In the case of the slider there simply isn't enough demand to justify producing one.

Last edited by crazigee; 05-22-14 at 11:30 AM.
    05-22-14 09:14 AM
    I liked Burger Chef way better than McDonald's or Burger King. It's subjective. But it was objectively superior. No one wanted them to disappear they just had poor management and got bought out. So lots of people miss Burger Chef. But no one can bring it back.

The Torch 9810 was the same. It sold well. It could be improved with a more Bold type keyboard. But I think it would sell. As well or better as the Q10 which isn't a very lofty goal.

It would be exciting and sexy. It would be almost as good as a Super Shef or Big Shef sandwich.

Z30 / STA100-5 / 10.2.1.2234 / T-Mobile USA
    05-22-14 12:17 PM
78 1234