RIM has been very tight lipped about Skype development on PlayBook OS and BB10. The only rumours that have been going around is that instead of an app like on iOS or Android, Skype may be integrated into RIM's OS.

Now that Microsoft has revealed Skype and 3rd party VOIP support, does that allow RIM to open the flood gates revealing a similar development?

http://www.windowscentral.com/micros...indows-phone-8

What do you think? I feel like I'm in dreamland on this one, but I think it provides a viable explanation due to Microsoft owning Skype and wanting to create a big bang with Windows Phone 8.
    06-21-12 10:39 AM
    I still believe it is Skype just being a loser and not wanting to support BlackBerry.
    06-21-12 10:47 AM
    Maybe they want to announce support for it at the product release event? I expect very little news out of RIM on BB10 from now till release. Hopefully the rumors of it being ahead of schedule are true.
    06-21-12 11:53 AM
    Wasn't there some talk about how if Skype just Asked RIM that RIM would have Tons of people at their door in 24 hours? I don't use Skype at all, but I do support the fact that many BB users want it on the new BB10. It would help get RIM back on top.
    06-21-12 01:03 PM
    Wasn't there some talk about how if Skype just Asked RIM that RIM would have Tons of people at their door in 24 hours? I don't use Skype at all, but I do support the fact that many BB users want it on the new BB10. It would help get RIM back on top.
    That was Netflix. RIM has been very quiet on Skype, and rumors going around that it will be integrated into the Video chat client.
    06-21-12 01:31 PM
    Yes that's it. Nope.
    06-21-12 01:33 PM
    Personally, I'd rather see Google Talk
    06-21-12 07:39 PM
    I feel The problem is they need something that everyone can use on all different platforms but they want a berry exclusive to reel people into berrys.

So do a skype basic app but do a multiple video chat conference blackberry one for bbm groups. Kind of like the google chat on a computer or oovoo.

Sent from my Bold using Tapatalk
    06-21-12 07:44 PM
    I feel The problem is they need something that everyone can use on all different platforms but they want a berry exclusive to reel people into berrys.

So do a skype basic app but do a multiple video chat conference blackberry one for bbm groups. Kind of like the google chat on a computer or oovoo.

This is why I think G-Talk would be awesome. It's not platform spicific....Plus, aren't Droid devs dropping apps for BB10?
    06-21-12 07:48 PM
    Personally, I'd rather see Google Talk
    Not a bad suggestion.

I have openly wondered why RIM doesn't kill the Skype grumblings by, say, appropriating/adopting another cross-platform videochat application... like ooVoo.

Google Chat would serve the same purpose.
    Last edited by trelawrence; 06-21-12 at 11:09 PM.
    pantlesspenguin and mzceetee like this.
    06-21-12 09:05 PM
    RIM can't spend time following others on this front (or any for that matter). They need to be 5 steps ahead. If I were them I would be positioning the video chat client to be an all encompassing video chat application that can connect to multiple platforms (oovoo, Google Chat, Skype, etc). Imagine if they integrated BBM into it as well, and you could launch a BBM video chat with someone? Or if they created an instant messaging app that tied in with MSN messenger, yahoo, etc, and this app also integrated with the video chat app so that you could video call MSN contacts.

RIM is onto something with the unified inbox for email, FB messages, twitter, and linked in. They need to continue along those lines for the other core features. Imagine having an integrated calendar that can read all your calendar entries from your various email programs?

I think it would be a huge win if they could pull it off.
    06-21-12 10:47 PM
    I agree. Having a video chat platform that contours to all the others on desktop and mobile would be nice.

Never thought of that but that would be killer.

I bet they couldn't get it to work with facetime though. Stupid apple and their locked down mentality. Lol

06-22-12 12:47 AM
    I agree. Having a video chat platform that contours to all the others on desktop and mobile would be nice.

Never thought of that but that would be killer.

I bet they couldn't get it to work with facetime though. Stupid apple and their locked down mentality. Lol

So...Stupid RIM with their locked down BBM?

You just can't get through the day without lashing out at Apple, eh?
    06-22-12 03:11 AM
    RIM can't spend time following others on this front (or any for that matter). They need to be 5 steps ahead. If I were them I would be positioning the video chat client to be an all encompassing video chat application that can connect to multiple platforms (oovoo, Google Chat, Skype, etc). Imagine if they integrated BBM into it as well, and you could launch a BBM video chat with someone? Or if they created an instant messaging app that tied in with MSN messenger, yahoo, etc, and this app also integrated with the video chat app so that you could video call MSN contacts.

RIM is onto something with the unified inbox for email, FB messages, twitter, and linked in. They need to continue along those lines for the other core features. Imagine having an integrated calendar that can read all your calendar entries from your various email programs?

Blackberrys have always had an unified inbox, and the playbook already has the calendar integration you're talking about.
    06-22-12 03:48 AM
    Blackberrys have always had an unified inbox, and the playbook already has the calendar integration you're talking about.
    The current BlackBerry handhelds also have the fully integrated calendar.
    06-22-12 05:07 AM
    The current BlackBerry handhelds also have the fully integrated calendar.
    Yes but not for all email accounts though.
    06-22-12 05:36 AM

Except of course that's not technically possible since Skype is a closed protocol, either Microsoft builds a BB10 Skype client or no one does.
    06-22-12 08:50 AM
    Except of course that's not technically possible since Skype is a closed protocol, either Microsoft builds a BB10 Skype client or no one does.
    It is closed for now, but that is not to say this can't change the future.
    06-22-12 04:57 PM
    My bold is locked down by my company so I haven't setup other email accounts. Thanks for the heads up though. Doesn't change my original thought process though. RIM needs to continue along those lines with the other pieces of bb10.
    06-22-12 05:01 PM
    Oh I love a good Skype thread. It won't be the same on here if BBs ever get Skype. All the players know their roles well by now. Unfortunately, so do we. They are....

1. Why don't we have Skype?
    2. It's a conspiracy.
    3. RIM is waiting for Bb10, to announce a world beating, best in class integrated solution which will scoop them all, including Microsoft.
    4. Then there,s the guy who knows the inside scoop (read #3), but can,t tell us what it is. He can't tell us, but keeps telling us that he can't tell us.
    5. It's RIM,s fault. Microsoft,s fault. Both their fault,s. The Carriers have got RIM tied up in a contract.
    6. There's a solid tech and reason, why not, but too technical for us to understand.
    7. Just wait and be patient, all will be revealed.

Anyways, lots of fun. Have I missed anybody?
    06-22-12 06:08 PM
    So...Stupid RIM with their locked down BBM?

You just can't get through the day without lashing out at Apple, eh?

Not bashing when its the truth. Apple is known for making things onlu work on their device and their device only. Heck I can't even send an emoticon to an iphone because it shows up as a block.

Not saying good or bad but just saying it like it is with a tad or sarcasm. Geez

06-22-12 11:15 PM
    Not a bad suggestion.

I have openly wondered why RIM doesn't kill the Skype grumblings by, say, appropriating/adopting another cross-platform videochat application... like ooVoo.

Google Chat would serve the same purpose.
    ooVoo would be great -if skype don't happen -we need at least one cross platform to work with...we aren't asking for arm and leg....
    06-23-12 12:35 AM
    Why not a vonage app for bb?
    06-23-12 03:34 AM
    I think Skype workload is fully assigned to create and integrate into Windows 8

I don't use Skype, but I can see the importance of it. BB10 need Skype at launch
    06-23-12 06:43 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD