when is verizon gonna tighten up and fix this? not like i'd use it very often but i did want it on one occasion, other than when trying to debunk my buddy's iPhone...

12-08-09 03:53 AM
    This isn't resticted to verizon is it?
    I have never tried to talk and surf at the same time, but I know that my e-mails and facebook notifications will not hit my device when I am talking on the phone.
    As soon as I hang up, they all hit.

I'm on Vodafone UK FWIW
    12-08-09 04:23 AM
    This is normal. And has been this way forever. Its one of those thing ya kinda gotta deal with. If it makes you unhappy move service to at&t.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-08-09 04:49 AM
    Don't u guys have 3G?

12-08-09 05:09 AM
    CDMA's EV-DO doesnt allow this. neither does GSM's EDGE network. only GSM's 3G networks, like AT&T for example, allow this. its one of AT&T's best arguements against verizons claims to having the best 3G network. but they cant even do simultaneous voice/data. i think its a network limitation due to the way they work their voice/data channels.
    12-08-09 05:12 AM
    I don't know why would someone want to talk and surf simultaneously? anyway it's limited by the network technology.
    12-08-09 05:38 AM
    And unless you are in a large metro area with 3G coverage from att it won't work either. There's a map for that.

12-08-09 06:00 AM
    when is verizon gonna tighten up and fix this? not like i'd use it very often but i did want it on one occasion, other than when trying to debunk my buddy's iPhone...
    You might want to educate yourself about the technical limitations of the technology.
    12-08-09 06:04 AM
    I don't know why would someone want to talk and surf simultaneously? anyway it's limited by the network technology.
    getting BBMs/emails/MMS while on the phone when not connected via wifi. also, being able to tether and surf and still be able to take a voice call if necessary instead of having your data session suspended while you take the call.

i mean, was that a rhetorical question or you seriously had no idea how doing 2 things at once was better than not being able to.
    12-08-09 06:44 AM
    It's because AT&T's 3G data network is a different frequency than their voice network. As long as you are running 3G on AT&T (Rogers, T-Mo...), you have the ability to use two radios at the same time (one for voice, one for data).

If you're on EDGE with AT&T, you are only using one radio, so you won't be able to do voice + data at the same time. EV-DO only uses one radio, so it can't do both (EV-DV is supposed to do both, but nobody has adopted that).

Of course, if you have a wifi connection, you should be able to do both, since the data could go over the wifi network.
    12-08-09 06:57 AM
    this article kind of explained it well. especially some EV-DO/HSPA differences.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f68/tes...erizon-379211/
    12-08-09 07:33 AM
    Just watch the commercials that are on 10 times a day (verizon vs ATT)
    12-08-09 07:38 AM
    I'll further add on this: look at Apple's iPhone commercials. Someone calls you up, "Hey what's playing tonight?" or "What's the weather" or "I wonder how the Knicks are doing right now", with AT&T 3G, you can go surf the web while on speakerphone with the person, grab your info, and go. Anything else: EDGE, EVDO, etc., you have to be in WiFi range otherwise "Idk let me call you back" or run and go on a nearby computer.
    12-08-09 11:08 AM
    What about texting? Can you text and talk at the same times on VZ or Sprint? My g/f does it all the time on her t-mobile shadow though I find it annoying since I can hear her texting and it sounds like making popcorn.

12-08-09 11:20 AM
    if you have the 9550 storm2 turn on wifi and then you can surf/talk.
    12-08-09 11:46 AM
    Question... does 4g wimax or LTE do Talk and Data?
    12-08-09 04:07 PM
    Question... does 4g wimax or LTE do Talk and Data?
    LTE does

12-08-09 04:10 PM
    What about texting? Can you text and talk at the same times on VZ or Sprint? My g/f does it all the time on her t-mobile shadow though I find it annoying since I can hear her texting and it sounds like making popcorn.
    SMS does not use data. So you can send and receive SMS while on the phone on CDMA.

Sprint, however, has issues with this on their network. So it doesn't always work on Sprint.
    12-08-09 04:50 PM
    It's because AT&T's 3G data network is a different frequency than their voice network. As long as you are running 3G on AT&T (Rogers, T-Mo...), you have the ability to use two radios at the same time (one for voice, one for data).

If you're on EDGE with AT&T, you are only using one radio, so you won't be able to do voice + data at the same time. EV-DO only uses one radio, so it can't do both (EV-DV is supposed to do both, but nobody has adopted that).

Of course, if you have a wifi connection, you should be able to do both, since the data could go over the wifi network.
    This is incorrect, as voice and data are transmitted over the same radio frequency. It's simply because UMTS/HSDPA allows for simultaneous voice and data, while EVDO will not.

Also, it's SVDO which would allow this on Verizon, but it's unlikely that they will adopt this standard.
    12-08-09 04:54 PM
    I'll add in my two cents and say I like having both because when I use google maps for directions, I can still take a call and still keep up my directions without going into an undownloaded map. Very useful.

12-08-09 06:07 PM
    I wouldn't say it's a deal breaker but is a nice feature. I realized this coming back home on the train while tethering/bbming/ on the phone all at the same time.
    12-08-09 11:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD