I keep reading posts like this, and I'm genuinely curious why any BB10 fan would move to the Priv rather than one of the many (cheaper, better?) Android handsets from other vendors.
    Unless the reason involves the PKB or a love of sliders, given that the Priv is near-stock Android, why wouldn't you buy another Android phone for less money and possibly already having Marshmallow?
    I got a Priv because I prefer the BlackBerry launcher and virtual keyboard. I also like the feel of the device in my hand - the nicest Android device I've ever held.

I also find the pkb handy for long messages or for when I'm typing on a website or in an app and don't want to lose screen space.

I also like the fact that I am supporting a fellow Canadian company.
    Last edited by conite; 01-08-16 at 07:02 AM.
    JeepBB, Smokeaire and KrinnerSA like this.
    01-08-16 06:29 AM
    Give Windows phone a try. I like it a lot better than Android and iOS. The Lumia 830 is a great replacement for Z10/Z30 users.
    remmo likes this.
    01-08-16 06:48 AM
    So I'm guessing that I should return my Z30 that I just picked up from EBay for $217.

Posted via CB10
    01-08-16 07:21 AM
    BlackBerry didn't respect who kept it alive until now.

There will be a day when I will switch to Android.

And it won't be a BlackBerry anymore. Period.

It all began with the Playbook, we all have to remember where all the money we put for it are gone after few months...
    i switched to Android in August when I heard there would be nothing but physical keyboard models. Pfft.
    My LG G4 beats any BB i ever had. Seriously.
    01-08-16 07:27 AM
    I think BB just ran out of time to have the priv run marshmallow. They probably don't have enough developers to do work and they have a fall deadline to meet.
    There in lies the BlackBerry issue with being late to the party. If people are OK with that then NP.
    01-08-16 07:28 AM
    So I'm guessing that I should return my Z30 that I just picked up from EBay for $217.

Posted via CB10
    Why? If you like it and it works for you enjoy it.
    TgeekB likes this.
    01-08-16 07:29 AM
    Looks like Chen is another Rubinstein or Elop...send out to destroy

Passport SE
    Doggerz likes this.
    01-08-16 07:31 AM
    Well, in my case the PKB. But I was absolutely stunned that it didn't already have 6.0. This is a make or break device for BlackBerry and it is an older OS than my like year old Nexus 6??

Posted via CB10
    I'm not sure if people (not directed at you) aren't building up Android M too much. I have it running now on my Nexus 7, and I barely notice any difference from a user point of view.

We can now control permissions, but I haven't changed a single one yet. I'm pretty comfortable with the apps I have chosen.
    GadgetTravel likes this.
    01-08-16 07:33 AM
    My Passport will be serving me well for the coming year and if there is no new BB10 phone ahead I will see what to do. What is clear is that I will never buy a phone with a US operating system like Android, iOS or Windows Phone. Nice try John Chen but I'm never going to buy a US OS phone.

There will be other phones ahead and we will see what will happen. As for Blackberry, I feel sorry for you that you are so weak killing yourself. Android will not save you and you will only lose customers this way.
    01-08-16 07:34 AM
    I would like to say, I am not some weird geek or worse clutching his weird phone to be different. I use my Passport because of screen size and sound quality. Most BlackBerry users do like being (different by design) but the phone has to work. The fact that OS 10 allows you to do what no other OS does is amazing. Trying loading a Apple app on Andoid and tell me how that goes for you. BlackBerry had the perfect system and chose to go the easier route. Not uncommon in today's fast profit world. We who use BlackBerry OS 10 are not some freaky lab rats. We use our phone for more than play, want it to work all the time; and the last sound quality. I will bet in a year or two you will see BlackBerry spin off its handset business to Google just like Motorla did, once you give up your independence you become a slave to the owner, for most handset makers it did it go well.

woof!
    Gazza12 and jas1978 like this.
    01-08-16 07:38 AM
    My Passport will be serving me well for the coming year and if there is no new BB10 phone ahead I will see what to do. What is clear is that I will never buy a phone with a US operating system like Android, iOS or Windows Phone. Nice try John Chen but I'm never going to buy a US OS phone.

There will be other phones ahead and we will see what will happen. As for Blackberry, I feel sorry for you that you are so weak killing yourself. Android will not save you and you will only lose customers this way.
    Guess it's a good thing they don't have to large amount to lose.
    01-08-16 07:44 AM
    It is common news that BB10 phones are not profitable. Why would any company with any sense continue to make a product that looses money?

Posted via CB10
    Companies do that all the time for strategic reasons. In Blackberry's case they need handsets to provide a 100% vertically integrated EMM solution. They can't lose too much money on handsets, but they don't need them to be profitable to justify staying in the market
    That's why they haven't left yet.

Posted via CB10
    01-08-16 08:10 AM
    I'm not sure if people (not directed at you) aren't building up Android M too much. I have it running now on my Nexus 7, and I barely notice any difference from a user point of view.

We can now control permissions, but I haven't changed a single one yet. I'm pretty comfortable with the apps I have chosen.
    That is probably true. I'm more concerned about the trend though. What if 7 comes out with some really great updates (from what I've read the voice enhancements in 6 are significant by the way) and BB is still on 5. My first Android phone was like that, bought brand new but never upgraded. I've been spoiled by Apple perhaps but I'm very sensitive about it.
    01-08-16 08:18 AM
    That is probably true. I'm more concerned about the trend though. What if 7 comes out with some really great updates (from what I've read the voice enhancements in 6 are significant by the way) and BB is still on 5. My first Android phone was like that, bought brand new but never upgraded. I've been spoiled by Apple perhaps but I'm very sensitive about it.
    I'm encouraged so far that BlackBerry seems to be on their game with the monthly security updates. At least that's something. They've been getting them out roughly as fast as Google has for its Nexus.
    01-08-16 08:32 AM
    When my BlackBerry Z10 is over I'll get the passport silver edition if it's still on sale...

Posted via CB10
    01-08-16 08:47 AM
    In Blackberry's case they need handsets to provide a 100% vertically integrated EMM solution.
    I hope they don't need it too much since probably 90% of their customers aren't using it.
    01-08-16 09:17 AM
    As I see it, it's not a matter of dis-respect to any of us who purchased BB10 - there were NOT enough people who purchased BB10 to keep the company afloat. It's that brutally simple.
    No, that is an incorrect assessment, and empowers corporations to treat loyal customers with disrespect.

There are plenty of ways one can manage a product so that when its "end of life" comes, you do RIGHT by your customers.

What BlackBerry has been doing a lot lately is making "BB10 positive" statements to keep device sales up, so they can clear their inventory, which have been effectively LIES meant to convince prospective customers that the BB10 platform has a future (and all that entails).

BlackBerry management has not acted ethically. They have acted in a manner that is beneficial to BlackBerry management and shareholders, but detrimental to BlackBerry customers. Period.

Justify bad behaviour any way you want, but it's still bad behaviour.

I will never purchase another BlackBerry device, ever. The technology is excellent, the front-line staff at BlackBerry (customer relations, developer support, etc.) are knowledgeable, friendly and really just excellent all 'round... but BlackBerry Management and the high-level BlackBerry shareholders that influence the board have an attitude towards loyal customers that is abominable.

No. More. BlackBerry.
    Last edited by RyanGermann; 01-11-16 at 09:00 AM.
    01-08-16 09:39 AM
    When my BlackBerry Z10 is over I'll get the passport silver edition if it's still on sale...

Posted via CB10
    +1

Posted via CB10
    01-08-16 09:46 AM
    No, that is an incorrect assessment, and empowers corporations to treat loyal customers with disrespect.

There are plenty of ways one can manage a product so that when it's "end of life" comes, you do RIGHT by your customers.

What BlackBerry has been doing a lot lately is making "BB10 positive" statements to keep device sales up, so they can clear their inventory, which have been effectively LIES meant to convince prospective customers that the BB10 platform has a future (and all that entails).

BlackBerry management has not acted ethically. They have acted in a manner that is beneficial to BlackBerry management and shareholders, but detrimental to BlackBerry customers. Period.

Justify bad behaviour any way you want, but it's still bad behaviour.

I will never purchase another BlackBerry device, ever. The technology is excellent, the front-line staff at BlackBerry (customer relations, developer support, etc.) are knowledgeable, friendly and really just excellent all 'round... but BlackBerry Management and the high-level BlackBerry shareholders that influence the board have an attitude towards loyal customers that is abominable.

No. More. BlackBerry.
    I have never had the experience you describe. I find Blackberry's communications to be frank and candid. Sometimes I've been disappointed, such as when the PlayBook wasn't updated to BB10, but I've seen no unethical behavior by the company.

Posted via CB10
    glwerry likes this.
    01-08-16 09:49 AM
    I am not hoping for any new BB10 models. But BB will continue to sell existing BB10 models for the time being. Is that correct ?
    I hope so. I am going to ride it out until the bitter end. Aside from the slow performance, I love my Classic.

Some people prefer safety and convention. Some prefer to explorer. Nothing wrong with either of these. But I imagine there are more explorers on here.
    01-08-16 10:21 AM
    Here's what we're gonna do skippy! We're going to buckle down for the long haul, use our current devices for 2016, and hope the android side of the business does well! Then with some positive cash flow, blackberry might release a new bb10 phone for us in the future if they are doing better on the hardware side!

Personally I've tried all the other major OSs, and I have stuck with my blackberry since the original Blackberry Storm. Nothing beats our pk, security, notifications, hub, plus many other points!

Posted via my awesome BlackBerry Passport!
    csiguy1 likes this.
    01-08-16 10:28 AM
    I already jumped ship when the Lumia 925 came out in 2013, and just upgraded to a 950. I still have a Z10 and a Q10, but I have no desire for a BlackBerry with android on it.
    01-08-16 10:35 AM
    I certainly have the death touch. I bought a Palm Pre, they went down. I drive a Pontiac and they were shut down. And now I'm using a Classic.

Maybe I should go iPhone...
    *ROTFL go for it!

 Blackberryist 
    01-08-16 10:39 AM
    You are 100% correct BlackBerry would rather dump equipment on an unexpecting buyer then be truthful. This has been a Chen thing for sometime now. So we sell off old sell off old stock, clear our books, but screw another group of customers. Brilliant another great marketing ploy. Some companies never learn a little bit of honesty, good or bad goes a very long way. Ask the makers of Tynol years ago, they could have played the tampering close to the vest. But instead got out in front and stayed right there, in the end the brand was safe. A simple drop dead date for OS 10 would not hurt at all, companies as well as consumers could plan ahead. But no, let's play these asine games. It failed in the past and it will fail again.

Double Woof!
    lift likes this.
    01-08-16 10:41 AM
    It all began with the Playbook, we all have to remember where all the money we put for it are gone after few months...
    Chuckle, wow, and I thought I was bitter about the Apple Lisa I purchased and then got burned on when they dropped development and switched to Mac.

Screw 'em, never forgive nor forget.
    01-08-16 10:42 AM
396 12345 ...