But it will be an Android Phone...an Android phone with BB Hub, BB gesture and all the app that an android user want, I don't think it will be an heavy customisation so i don't think it may be so expensive to realize it
    01-11-16 12:41 PM
    Ron Louks said that the Priv was developed to make existing Android users feel comfortable. It make sense if you think about it. Their target market is the sea of Android users who might want a hardware keyboard and privacy, not the few BB10 users who are probably going to buy a Priv eventually, anyway.
    The number of hardware keyboard users is dwindling faster than BB10 users.

As for privacy - the vast majority of data breaches from phones result from apps with too many permissions or insecure passwords, not direct hack attempts on the phone.

The second you set it up with any of the free email services (Gmail, Outlook.com, etc...) to manage your email, contacts and calendar your private information is open to the provider of that service anyway.

They should have given the Priv as much of the BB10 hub experience as possible and use it as a platform to get people comfortable with BB10 in hopes users will switch to it at some point.
    lift likes this.
    01-11-16 12:42 PM
    The number of hardware keyboard users is dwindling faster than BB10 users.

As for privacy - the vast majority of data breaches from phones result from apps with too many permissions or insecure passwords, not direct hack attempts on the phone.

The second you set it up with any of the free email services (Gmail, Outlook.com, etc...) to manage your email, contacts and calendar your private information is open to the provider of that service anyway.

They should have given the Priv as much of the BB10 hub experience as possible and use it as a platform to get people comfortable with BB10 in hopes users will switch to it at some point.
    Users won't switch unless their favorite app is there in a vetted app store that is supported. They will not switch to BB10 for the hub.

If they would they would have already.
    JeepBB and GadgetTravel like this.
    01-11-16 12:47 PM
    What is wrong with the current line up of BB10 phones? I cant believe I wasted 5 secs on this post.
    01-11-16 02:28 PM
    After reading all the posts in this thread about BlackBerry users using their current devices until they don't work anymore, or buying spares now, I had this thought: would there be any profit in buying a new factory sealed device or two right now and throwing them in a safe for a couple years? Would the market value be higher down the road when BB10 devices are scarce but diehards still wish to use it? This is all assuming of course that BB OS is indeed gone.

I know that electronics generally lose value quickly, but in a case like this they might become more valuable, especially if they're still factory sealed. One downside would be that the battery might degrade. There's also the caveat of BB services: what will still be available in say 2018 or 2019? How well will the device work?

I have a bit of cash to play with and wondered about the feasibility of "investing" a little on a Z30 or something like that. It's a middle-of-the-road BB10 device that wouldn't be such a big risk financially.
    01-11-16 02:59 PM
    would there be any profit in buying a new factory sealed device or two right now and throwing them in a safe for a couple years? Would the market value be higher down the road when BB10 devices are scarce but diehards still wish to use it?
    Beyond a collector's item, I'm not sure what the value in 2018 would be for a device using a 2012 Snapdragon S4, on a 2014 OS (10.3.X), and an Android Jellybean Runtime - no matter how you feel about BB10.

But you newer know.
    kbz1960, tgp, JeepBB and 1 others like this.
    01-11-16 03:23 PM
    You could always buy a Priv, that's what I did. It's an excellent device, and BlackBerry version of Android is one of the better ones I have used.
    01-11-16 03:50 PM
    So BlackBerry is "All In" on Android? Given that BB10 and Android likely can run on the same hardware why don't they let US the consumer decide?

I would even go for a Dual Boot option.
    01-11-16 03:52 PM
    So BlackBerry is "All In" on Android? Given that BB10 and Android likely can run on the same hardware why don't they let US the consumer decide?

I would even go for a Dual Boot option.
    Because it costs ENORMOUS money to truly develop and support an in-house OS.
    kbz1960 and JeepBB like this.
    01-11-16 03:55 PM
    So this is an interesting discussion.... Especially since I am a new BlackBerry user as of Saturday January 9, 2016. I got the BlackBerry PassPort Silver Edition, coming from a Nokia Lumia 1020 with Windows Mobile 10. I was intrigued by the wide size of the PassPort and BlackBerry Blend. I honestly love the PassPort. It does everything I want it to and is even working with my Microsoft Band 2 (mostly anyways and that was my only concern getting the PassPort, that the Band might not work with it). So far I am impressed! Everything is exactly how I want it to be with one caveat, I wish it had a better camera, but that's probably because I came from the 1020's 41mp camera.

I think the biggest problem with BlackBerry is it's image. It does not have an image of being a consumer brand and on top of that I didn't even know the PassPort existed until I went searching specifically for new obscure phones (I stay away from Android and iOS and generally follow the OS that is struggling, Palm OS, WebOS, Windows Mobile 6.5 and earlier, Windows Phone, Windows Mobile 10, and now BlackBerry 10).

I think BlackBerry could come back, but at its current rate it's not going to go anywhere. The company needs to advertise what BlackBerry 10 can do and put it in front of consumers. But there is 0 advertising from them. Not to mention they are essentially done with it.
    01-11-16 04:10 PM
    Heheh... that same "hope" was expressed about the Playbook...
    The chances of that happening are infinitesimally small.

Posted via CB10
    01-11-16 04:20 PM
    Anything can happen. Imagine for a moment that the CEO could change, a new threat to security or privacy comes out from nowhere from the Internet, some new company decide to invest on a new project or product on BlackBerry10... I don't know, I am just suggesting...

Anyway those who think they know what will happen tomorrow or have the truth in their pocket are just hypothesizing like the other.

Posted via CB10
    01-11-16 04:31 PM
    Having used iOS since inception Android, on and off for over 3, years and BB10 i have to say that the BB10 is by far the most solid, easy and productive OS out there. I do not think i will be switching to another OS for the next 2 years or so and even longer unless something changes dramatically ( Microsoft is attempting that with the new Windows phone, if that goes well, things will change... ).

Its a shame that they will not be making another bb10 phone but honestly other than minor improvements the current range of devices can cover all needs.
    01-11-16 05:39 PM
    RIM/Blackberry DID do a lot more marketing for BB10 when it was brand new back in 2013. It didn't matter; almost no one besides the Blackberry diehards and major smartphone enthusiasts were interested in purchasing a BB10 device.
    If I remember correctly, people bought it and then... They returned it. Why? BB10 was full of bugs and the phones kept restarting. The battery was woefully inadequate on the Z10. I remember that it lasted me a whole 6 to 8 hours max.

Blackberry messed up the launch. They should have waited six months and start with 10.1. The Z30 was never given a chance. They never had an AT&T or Tmobile model. the STA100-5 does not have LTE band 2. In the end no one carried it except for Big Red. Too little, too late.
    Last edited by Alberto8; 01-11-16 at 06:23 PM. Reason: grammar.
    01-11-16 06:22 PM
    If I remember correctly, people bought it and then... They returned it. Why? BB10 was full of bugs and the phones kept restarting. The battery was woefully inadequate on the Z10. I remember that it lasted me a whole 6 to 8 hours max.
    I never had any problems with my Z10 rebooting. Battery life wasn't great, but people lapped up iPhones with bad battery life like kittens and warm milk.

BB10's UI needed a little more polish out of the box. It's still a little rough in places.
    01-11-16 06:25 PM
    The passport will be the next 9900 I guess. The OS is the reason I use blackberry, not the keyboard. I have a Z30 and Passport and use them interchangeably. Just have to use a nano to micro sim adapter.
    01-11-16 06:30 PM

Blackberry messed up the launch. They should have waited six months and start with 10.1. The Z30 was never given a chance. They never had an AT&T or Tmobile model. the STA100-5 does not have LTE band 2. In the end no one carried it except for Big Red. Too little, too late.
    The saying you get a chance to make a good impression is true in many things. Even more so when you already have a reputation.
    01-11-16 07:05 PM
    Planning on keeping mine as long as I can

Posted via CB10
    Exactly! My Classic still works great so I'll use it as long as I can.

ClassicSQC100-3/10.3.2.858
    01-11-16 08:27 PM
    BlackBerry didn't respect who kept it alive until now.

There will be a day when I will switch to Android.

And it won't be a BlackBerry anymore. Period.

It all began with the Playbook, we all have to remember where all the money we put for it are gone after few months...
    What you're saying is weird, either you like BlackBerry's or you don't. If you don't you should have moved on by now. If you like BlackBerry's then the devices that'll have most in common with BlackBerry 10 o.s is BlackBerry's version of android. No other manufacturer will come close. You'll be screwing yourself.

Posted via CB10
    Bobert_123 likes this.
    01-11-16 08:38 PM
    Why people have the need of change cellphone every year?
    I have a Z10 since came out to the market and with a good case is still like new, i dont need to change just in case of a cr�ticas issues a buy another cellphone probably a Z30.

Posted via CB10
    Avenzuno likes this.
    01-11-16 08:40 PM
    Stay the course with your current BB10 devices. Consider an iPhone or iPad as a second device for apps and media consumption. Then the new 2017 BlackBerry 10 devices will be ready to replace your aging ones.

Posted via CB10 | SQC100-4 Classic in Cobalt Blue
    01-11-16 08:46 PM
    This is just not true at all...there was virtually zero marketing...at least here in the states.
    01-11-16 10:22 PM

That wasn't my experience at all. I found BB10 great out of the box. There were some occasional restarts after 10.1 was released, but it wasn't more than 2 or 3 total.

The battery was better than my wife's iPhone 3 at the time, which I admit isn't saying much, but at least I could swap a battery quickly!

Posted via CB10
    01-12-16 03:06 AM
    Why people have the need of change cellphone every year?
    I have a Z10 since came out to the market and with a good case is still like new, i dont need to change just in case of a cr�ticas issues a buy another cellphone probably a Z30.

Posted via CB10
    I've carried my Z10 naked since launch, in the same pocket with my keys, and it looks as good as new.

Posted via CB10
    01-12-16 03:07 AM
    Move to iOS. BB died in 2015.
    lift likes this.
    01-12-16 06:03 AM
396 ... 89101112 ...