The reason there won't be any new BB10 phones is the runtime is dead in the water...and from the time Chen gutted native app development and announced the amazon partnership BB10 phones increasingly rely on the runtime to be anything more than talk/text/web devices.

Honestly, as of today if the runtime was stripped from BB10 how many of your apps would you lose?

Android app development is such that it will quickly reach a state where your old runtime won't be able to run new apps.
    01-09-16 07:51 AM
    Why is everyone in such a flap over bb10 devices. If the division folds and no more bb10 handsets are built, then when this passport dies, I'll buy another phone. It's not rocket science.

Posted via CB10
    It is just forum drama - people here said the same thing and reacted the same way when BBOS was phased out for BB10.
    01-09-16 08:26 AM
    The reason there won't be any new BB10 phones is the runtime is dead in the water...and from the time Chen gutted native app development and announced the amazon partnership BB10 phones increasingly rely on the runtime to be anything more than talk/text/web devices.

Honestly, as of today if the runtime was stripped from BB10 how many of your apps would you lose?

Android app development is such that it will quickly reach a state where your old runtime won't be able to run new apps.
    3, those being, Flickr, Kindle and Shazam. I'll survive.

Posted via CB10
    01-09-16 08:46 AM
    It is unethical to make statements of uncertainty when management is mostly certain on what they're going to do. It's unethical to make ambiguous statements about device support that aren't borne out by actions. BlackBerry may not be alone in this, but that doesn't make it ethical. Leaving a number if serious problems / bugs in BB10 OS without investing in fixing them is unethical, even if it is "business as usual".

The fact that many business act unethically doesn't make unethical behavior somehow not unethical. It's just that consumers by and large are not bothered to fight or complain, so the unethical behaviour becomes the new normal.
    Your assumption that management is certain of their plans but chooses to make ambiguous statements is interesting. In the real business world, there is always a lot of uncertainty, and I don't agree that management makes decisions before they see the business results along the way. Decision-making 101 says gather as much data as you can before making a decision. If the Priv sells well and is adopted by Blackberry's government and regulated customers quickly, they will "sunset" BB10. John Chen was unambiguous about that. If Priv does not sell well and/or is not adopted by those customers, BlackBerry will have hard choices to make. But I bet they don't yet know what they'll do, because they don't know how their customers will react. If a bunch of governments make it clear that they need a refreshed BB10 device, and they are willing to make commitments for the devices and/or BlackBerry's other EMM offerings to defray the investment cost, then BB10 may be maintained indefinitely.

BlackBerry management doesn't know with certainty what the future will hold, so why should they make definite statements that would box them in?

When my wife and I were dating, we made a lot of ambiguous statements about our future together. We weren't trying to deceive each other. We simply weren't sure of our future together, due to careers, family, geography, etc. And we didn't want to make commitments we couldn't keep.

Businesses do the same thing. It's not unethical.

Posted via CB10
    01-09-16 09:11 AM

I would lose zero apps. Not everyone wants Android apps on their smartphones, you know.

Posted via CB10
    lift likes this.
    01-09-16 09:12 AM

Chen is doing a good job to save a basket-case of a company that was handed to him. App development was dead years before he took over.

Posted via CB10
    CHIP72, kbz1960 and JeepBB like this.
    01-09-16 09:33 AM
    At the end of the day, this is really the best answer.

I do not understand the drama over not having new BlackBerry 10 phones.

I will be keeping my existing Q10 and Z10 for another couple years. I have disassembled them a few times; and I know how to replace every single part of the phones if they ever break.

Unlike most of the phones nowadays, BlackBerry Q10 and Z10 come with removable batteries, so I can keep these phones for a long time, swapping out dead batteries.

I also do not understand the app issue that people talk about either. I have all the modern smartphone app support, such as Pebble watch integration, Google maps (BeMaps), fitness tracking, and Youtube, all working fine. And the excellent mail service is still as good as the day I got it too.

Posted via CB10
    Let's revisit this comment sometime in 2017 and see how well these apps are working for you.

Posted via BlackBerry Priv
    01-09-16 09:58 AM
    Decision-making 101 says gather as much data as you can before making a decision. If the Priv sells well and is adopted by Blackberry's government and regulated customers quickly, they will "sunset" BB10.
    Business 101 says that the most important decisions have to be made imperfect information. Anyone can make a good decision once the hard data has come in. You get paid the big bucks to make the best decision on not much information.

I think John Chen already knows what he's going to do. I think he has known ever since he took the job. Think about it - as soon as he got on board he canceled every BB10 project except for the Passport (it was too far along). He immediately sent his president of devices to work full time on an Android phone. Then he launched a retro phone adding a trackpad and a starter slab smartphone.

He can't slam the door on BB10 yet because he only has one US carrier right now and there are still plenty of channels for BB10 handsets as there are for BBOS handsets. That can go on for years. But, he's telling anyone who will listen that the future handsets with BlackBerry enhancements will be Android.
    JeepBB and kirson like this.
    01-09-16 09:59 AM
    I would lose zero apps. Not everyone wants Android apps on their smartphones, you know.

Posted via CB10
    And how many BB10 app developers are going to continue to support a platform that has stopped handset development???

lift likes this.
    01-09-16 10:02 AM
    BlackBerry didn't respect who kept it alive until now.

There will be a day when I will switch to Android.

And it won't be a BlackBerry anymore. Period.

It all began with the Playbook, we all have to remember where all the money we put for it are gone after few months...
    Funny, I don't understand this "disrespect" issue people throw at companies all the time. It is another example of "societal over sensitivity" that goes on nowadays. Now people want to know what you "feel" about something instead of what you "think" about an issue. After all, why use your brain (or excessive it) if feelings are more spontaneous? ROFL
    PygmySurfer likes this.
    01-09-16 10:21 AM
    I don't see any cause for action untill I see the snapdragon 830 so that probably gives me another year with my Z30. Besides only phone I've heard of is Vienna so there's not much going on at the BB hardware department. I won't ever buy the Priv - That's for sure.
    01-09-16 10:28 AM
    And how many BB10 app developers are going to continue to support a platform that has stopped handset development???

I don't understand what point you're trying to make. If you want a platform with a great network of developers, there is no reason to seriously consider BB10, and I would argue that there never has been. Apple and Android's ecosystems were always more robust. Yes, there have been some very professional BB10 native developers, but I don't think anyone expects much more in the way of 3rd party BB10 development. I would think that most remaining BB10 users understand that.

BB10 is valuable to me because of its efficiency for high volume written communication via email and messaging, for its ability to operate well with MS Exchange and other email servers, and for its ability to protect corporate data when used with BES. It does some other things well, but these are the real differentiators. It is generally weak when it comes to 3rd party apps.

That's a small niche market, sure, and no one should feel bad for leaving BlackBerry if it doesn't meet their needs. But for some of us, 3rd party apps are pretty much irrelevant.

So as long as BlackBerry maintains the core BlackBerry developed functions and apps (phone, email, messaging, calendar, contacts, tasks, notes, browser, etc), I will still prefer my Z10 to iPhone or Nexus or Samsung because of the superior experience I get on BB10 for the tasks I actually perform on my phone.

Posted via CB10
    01-09-16 10:47 AM

Mockit for one. No support.

Posted via CB10
    01-09-16 11:00 AM
    I have a brand new Q10, Classic and a Passport... so I will be fine

Posted via CB10
    01-09-16 11:05 AM
    I'm trying another OS. Not an iOS fan, nor do I like Android. So I recently purchased a Microsoft Lumia. Nothing crazy expensive, just a device to use, learn a new OS, and see if I'm willing to make the move, in case BlackBerry disappears somehow lol. I still use my Q10 daily, along with my new Lumia. It's been fun so far.

Best of Luck to BlackBerry though. I'm still a supporter.

The BlackBerry Guy
    01-09-16 11:21 AM
    Considering that Blackberry hasn't announced any new OS features for BB10 why do you need new devices? They should just focus on fixing bugs and encouraging developer support to keep the platform alive. The current device lineup is fine.

Blackberry is productivity first.
    Velocitymj likes this.
    01-09-16 12:35 PM
    I don't understand what point you're trying to make. If you want a platform with a great network of developers, there is no reason to seriously consider BB10, and I would argue that there never has been. Apple and Android's ecosystems were always more robust. Yes, there have been some very professional BB10 native developers, but I don't think anyone expects much more in the way of 3rd party BB10 development. I would think that most remaining BB10 users understand that.

BB10 is valuable to me because of its efficiency for high volume written communication via email and messaging, for its ability to operate well with MS Exchange and other email servers, and for its ability to protect corporate data when used with BES. It does some other things well, but these are the real differentiators. It is generally weak when it comes to 3rd party apps.

That's a small niche market, sure, and no one should feel bad for leaving BlackBerry if it doesn't meet their needs. But for some of us, 3rd party apps are pretty much irrelevant.

So as long as BlackBerry maintains the core BlackBerry developed functions and apps (phone, email, messaging, calendar, contacts, tasks, notes, browser, etc), I will still prefer my Z10 to iPhone or Nexus or Samsung because of the superior experience I get on BB10 for the tasks I actually perform on my phone.

Posted via CB10
    It's actually a huge market but iPhone does it just as well with BES and has necessary productivity apps as well.
    01-09-16 12:38 PM
    No, what gets me the most is that when they released the android BlackBerry, they went all out on marketing when they should've done that with bb10

Posted via CB10
    Exactly! I could never figure out why they refused to advertise. It just didn't make sense.
    01-09-16 02:11 PM
    10.3.3 and 10.3.4 are going to further unleash our BlackBerry 10 smartphones like nVidia did with the Detonator 40 driver series when competing with ATi and best them all...
    01-09-16 02:28 PM
    Exactly! I could never figure out why they refused to advertise. It just didn't make sense.
    They did, just not as much as some wanted them to though. They even has superbowl ads. Nothing worked.
    01-09-16 02:31 PM
    Just walked into the Source and Walmart phone sections in Hull, Quebec store locations to find NO blackberry devices on the shelves.
    A plethora of the usual Samsung devices and Apple, even Windows phones.
    If people don't see the name BlackBerry, they won't buy.. that simple.

Never mind online purchasing.

If you have the device in hand, at the very least you can try it out and test it.

The brute reality is that a company knowingly neglected to make the extra effort to make their product known, especially when they were getting the rug pulled from underneath by Apple.

It does NOT cost so much to ensure visibility of a product.
    Get a rep per store, someone who has the experience to train and demonstrate what BlackBerry does.

Have a BlackBerry booth right smack center of all the providers in a shopping mall.

Be visible and available.

I don't get how that was missed.

It's too simple and cost affective.....more so than any strategy that RIM / BlackBerry put in place since coming out with BB10.

So now we see a dwindling demand partly because devices are seldom seen in stores, or if they are, the device is a dud with no demo.

I'll keep my Passport for as long as I can and need it.

Hoping maybe that someone at the company finally gets it right.

Posted via BlackBerry Passport
    Kamika007z and GadgetTravel like this.
    01-09-16 02:45 PM
    Then we wonder why bb sales suck
    01-09-16 03:02 PM
    10.3.3 and 10.3.4 are going to further unleash our BlackBerry 10 smartphones like nVidia did with the Detonator 40 driver series when competing with ATi and best them all...
    Yeah! Those security updates are going to be awesome!!
    JeepBB, TgeekB, Kamika007z and 2 others like this.
    01-09-16 03:07 PM
    BlackBerry didn't respect who kept it alive until now.

There will be a day when I will switch to Android.

And it won't be a BlackBerry anymore. Period.

It all began with the Playbook, we all have to remember where all the money we put for it are gone after few months...
    So then Blackberry should have released another BB10 device to those who kept BB alive only for those that kept it alive to buy it and sales to be terrible? That makes zero sense.

The whole point of Android was to get people other than those who'd kept it alive to buy the device. The minute amount of people who bought a BB10 device is meaningless compared to the millions of people who could potentially buy an Android device because that's the platform they want to use.
    kbz1960 and JeepBB like this.
    01-09-16 03:12 PM
    It's actually a huge market but iPhone does it just as well with BES and has necessary productivity apps as well.
    I am very comfortable on an iPhone, but I find it intolerably clunky for high volume communication, and I find the keyboard experience painfully bad. It just doesn't work for me at all. I used an iPhone 5s for two weeks recently, and I found myself eating lunch at my desk so I wouldn't have to use it for email during my break. I really, really, really dislike iOS.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by bb10adopter111; 01-09-16 at 04:56 PM.
    01-09-16 03:21 PM
396 ... 45678 ...