anyone else notice that if you dont have a signal you cant get a SAT lock either?

you can test this by turning off the netowork then trying to connect with BB maps or what ever you have that will use the SATs as GPS.

i was in the mountains today and was planing on using the storm as my GPS but as soon as i got to a place that didnt have any towers the SAT went from 12 locks to 0.. boy was i pissed.. that was one of the MAIN things i wanted this POS for.

I even got a new phone sent to me as a replacement for all the other bugs this thing had and it was working pretty good compaired to the first one BUT NOW i dont want this anymore..

I have two almost new STORMS on my desk that im gonna get rid of..

ebay here i come.

I guess i should ask.. is there a way to get it to use the GPS signal alone?
    12-13-08 08:14 PM
    i think the problem is there is no map database loaded so with out data it cant show you a map and location...
    12-13-08 08:17 PM
    It was prolly that way because most GPS programs on cellphones don't store maps, they acquire them when they need them using a data connection. Anything from GMAPS, BBMaps, VZNav, and I'm pretty sure the Gamin one too(feel free to correct me on Garmin) It'll be the same with ANY phone that has GPS
    Like I said the first time you mentioned this.
    12-13-08 08:20 PM
    It is NOT a stand alone GPS device. The GPS programs for smartphones rely on data services to send/receive info. They don't store the maps and therefore rely on data to update them. For pure GPS use, get a dedicated unit.

My GPS can make and receive calls if it's using bluetooth, but I don't carry it around to talk on.
    12-13-08 08:22 PM
    Wow, planning on using the Storm for your GPS in the mountains? I assume you mean on the road, not as in hiking.
    12-13-08 08:28 PM
    if you're in the mountains and want a gps, you should get a true trekker's handheld gps and not a cell phone...
    12-13-08 08:29 PM
    you guys are all wrong. You are correct in saying that if the program relys on the internet for the maps it won't show. However, if it is a program that just uses the GPS to log information or has the maps saved onto the phone, it works just fine. I connected to 9 satellites while all my connections were off. It just depends on the program you use. If you want to use maps then you will have to find a program you can download the maps too.

And yes, you can use it in the mountains. I am using it to log my hikes.
    12-13-08 08:35 PM
    I know it wont store maps and i dont care about that. (although you should be able to store them in mem) but either way i couldnt get BB maps or nav to work. I do have a hand held GPS but i wanted this for when i drive up to areas i like to photograph. whats the point of BB maps using the SAT if it wont work without network?

@ arreat.. my post in GPS wasnt really meant like it sounded. i posted here becasue i wanted to see if anone with a STORM noticed the same thing.

and in my case. ince you loose the network the SATS will fall off and go to 0. so unless i missed something the GPS is pretty limited and not really a GPS. that was my error in thinking it was..

i wanted an all in one so i didnt have to carry all sorts of stuff with me.. the cameras and stuff i carry is a lot a phone and a GPS and a bunch of batteries (if i decide to go hike) are a hassle

what program will allow you to use the GPS as a tracker ( i know without maps?)
    12-13-08 08:59 PM
    you guys are all wrong. You are correct in saying that if the program relys on the internet for the maps it won't show. However, if it is a program that just uses the GPS to log information or has the maps saved onto the phone, it works just fine. I connected to 9 satellites while all my connections were off. It just depends on the program you use. If you want to use maps then you will have to find a program you can download the maps too.

And yes, you can use it in the mountains. I am using it to log my hikes.
    Hmm.. if i turn off the network it wont find any sats.. if it has a SAT lock and i turn off the network the lock will go away.

what are you using to track?
    12-13-08 09:01 PM
    What app are you using to log hikes?

Thanks

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-13-08 09:04 PM
    also.. regardless of weather it will DL maps is irrelevant.. it should STILL keep a sat lock even if you don't have the maps.

ive tried BB maps and nav4all
    12-13-08 09:08 PM
    Hmm.. if i turn off the network it wont find any sats.. if it has a SAT lock and i turn off the network the lock will go away.

what are you using to track?
    I'm using GPSed. The great thing about that program is it stores your track on your phone so even when you go out of service range, once you go back in it will update online and show everywhere you went while out of service. However, it doesn't have maps for you to view on the program -- online online.

I know it wont store maps and i dont care about that. (although you should be able to store them in mem) but either way i couldnt get BB maps or nav to work. I do have a hand held GPS but i wanted this for when i drive up to areas i like to photograph. whats the point of BB maps using the SAT if it wont work without network?
    You should care about that, because thats the reason why it doesn't work without service. The maps that are used in the program are downloaded from the internet which is why when you pan you don't get the map right away. If you have no service, it doesn't matter if you CAN connect to sats or not because there are no maps to decipher that data and show you your position.

I don't think theres any program that allows you to download maps onto any phone yet thus making it impossible to use a mapping program on your phone while you don't have service. However, as I said earlier, if you want to just track your route and have it available on the computer when you get home then that will work fine regardless of signal strength because the satellites have nothing to do with signal strength
    12-13-08 09:18 PM
    I don't think the gps on phones is meant for this type of use. You need a true GPS that allows you to lock in lat and long as well as do terrain nav. I think you are asking for trouble if you are trying to use your cell to navigate the wilderness. Just IMO.
    12-13-08 09:21 PM
    To further accentuate the point above - I think the software is critical. While I understand the concept of getting a signal even without the maps downloading - you have to understand . . . the SOFTWARE is requesting the GPS location. If the software is internet based and cannot access maps, it may not request GPS (it is not a lon/lat program). To truly test this, you need to load a program that is micro SD based, not internet based. That is the only way to test if the Nav works independent of signal.
    12-13-08 09:22 PM
    anyone else notice that if you dont have a signal you cant get a SAT lock either?

you can test this by turning off the netowork then trying to connect with BB maps or what ever you have that will use the SATs as GPS.

i was in the mountains today and was planing on using the storm as my GPS but as soon as i got to a place that didnt have any towers the SAT went from 12 locks to 0.. boy was i pissed.. that was one of the MAIN things i wanted this POS for.

I even got a new phone sent to me as a replacement for all the other bugs this thing had and it was working pretty good compaired to the first one BUT NOW i dont want this anymore..

I have two almost new STORMS on my desk that im gonna get rid of..

ebay here i come.

I guess i should ask.. is there a way to get it to use the GPS signal alone?
    Huh... TrekBuddy works wonders for me. I installed it, some topo maps and travelled to Succor Creek, which is way the **** away from any siganl, and it worked like a champ.

Gotta look for those Offline Map apps. Of course BBMaps and Gmaps are going to be worthless on a trek.
    12-13-08 09:30 PM
    you need to load a program that is micro SD based, not internet based. That is the only way to test if the Nav works independent of signal.
    Now thats the key. if that were possible i would be a happy camper.. lol
    12-13-08 09:31 PM
    I just went into "manage connections", I clicked the "turn off all connections" tab. The mobile network was checked and said Verizon. As soon as I taped the tab, the Verizon network disapeared. The box is no longer checked and there is a red x next to it.
    I dont have any bars. There is just one symbol and "OFF" next to it.

I opened BB Maps, and it searched for satalites. I am not connected to 9. I checked my bars again, it still says OFF.

I am tracking satalites, but not on the verizon network.

Am I missing something?

Can I do this when I am on a cruise ship next week? Without any roaming charges?
    12-13-08 09:32 PM

I am awaiting this as well. I just would not go as far as to say the Storm GPS does not work - I think we are dealing with limited software at present. We shall see . . .
    12-13-08 09:32 PM
    TrekBuddy is nice. And you can load Gmaps into it and it saves that map.
    12-13-08 09:39 PM
    I just went into "manage connections", I clicked the "turn off all connections" tab. The mobile network was checked and said Verizon. As soon as I taped the tab, the Verizon network disapeared. The box is no longer checked and there is a red x next to it.
    I dont have any bars. There is just one symbol and "OFF" next to it.

I opened BB Maps, and it searched for satalites. I am not connected to 9. I checked my bars again, it still says OFF.

I am tracking satalites, but not on the verizon network.

Am I missing something?

Can I do this when I am on a cruise ship next week? Without any roaming charges?
    for some reason when i turn mine off it wont connect to any sats. so i dont have a clue.. I do have VZnav loaded but not running. i also have .75 of the OS from verizon.

got me stumped..
    12-13-08 09:51 PM
    jpf22467, I am guessing you meant 'i am NOW connected to 9.'?

If so, I am sure you can still connect to the sat's you just won't be able to pan around the map. If the map is already loaded on of your current location then it will save there but still access the gps
    12-13-08 10:01 PM
    so... it looks like you are suppose to be able to connect to sats with network off... well i cant.. as soon as i turn off network it will not connet to any sats at all. regardless of maps or not.
    12-13-08 10:05 PM
    download gpsed from Map your tracks and photos, share your position from your mobile | free Mobile GPS Tracking Service and turn off your wireless connection and then use it. It works fine.
    12-13-08 10:27 PM
    Not true!

Your GPS will work in BBmaps AND Nav4All without network (I used it on a plane...I don't want to hear anyone telling me how thats illegal b/c the planes use GPS and its a one way communication) but you have to give it time.

You see, GPS uses what is called an Almanac to keep track of the satellites in orbit and to know where it is...if you move very far without updating the almanac (using the GPS) then it has no idea where it is and it has to see what sats are there and then figure out its position...depending on what needs to go down you might have to wait up to 30 minutes for it to work...but mine was about 2 minutes and its pretty darn accurate too.

Apparently the Iphone's GPS by itself is such a battery hog that it will use the entire battery from a full charge in less than an hour...not so for our storm (it can go hours on gps with no netowrk). So add one tick please to the things that a storm can do that the iphone cant.

Now if only we could get user interface down better....how bout some of that tasty multitouch eh?
    12-13-08 10:33 PM
    Not true!

Your GPS will work in BBmaps AND Nav4All without network (I used it on a plane...I don't want to hear anyone telling me how thats illegal b/c the planes use GPS and its a one way communication) but you have to give it time.

You see, GPS uses what is called an Almanac to keep track of the satellites in orbit and to know where it is...if you move very far without updating the almanac (using the GPS) then it has no idea where it is and it has to see what sats are there and then figure out its position...depending on what needs to go down you might have to wait up to 30 minutes for it to work...but mine was about 2 minutes and its pretty darn accurate too.

Apparently the Iphone's GPS by itself is such a battery hog that it will use the entire battery from a full charge in less than an hour...not so for our storm (it can go hours on gps with no netowrk). So add one tick please to the things that a storm can do that the iphone cant.

Now if only we could get user interface down better....how bout some of that tasty multitouch eh?
    ive been trying all day long.. mine just wont connect to any sats with it off.. BUT as soon as i turn the network back on it locks..
    12-13-08 10:52 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD