We can have both size and efficiency (and I don't mean cheap Chinese 5000mAh type) but like a nice 3300mAh - 3700mAh as the standard, and NOT 2800mAh.
    I get that but I don’t believe trillion dollar companies are occupied by idiots either. It seems logical that some kind of method to madness exists.
    10-06-19 07:28 PM
    I get that but I don’t believe trillion dollar companies are occupied by idiots either.
    And yet look at the camera design we got for the iPhone 11 Pro/Max.

BlackBerry was occupied by idiots too at some point.

Sometimes you just can't defend stupid decisions, and putting a 2800mAh cell paired with a 5.7" OLED display on a phone running the most powerful processor in existence is not exactly what I define to be a "smart" choice.

Let's stop defending the undefendable.
    10-06-19 09:45 PM
    Tools, not toys?
    An 18V drill is nice to use, but a 20V is better. Efficiency counts!
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-07-19 12:49 AM
    An 18V drill is nice to use, but a 20V is better. Efficiency counts!
    One could argue that the efficiency gained from a pkb outweigh the efficiency gained from 5G by a factor of 100.
    10-07-19 06:28 AM
    "I don't see the point of 5G on a BlackBerry," said TCL's general manager of marketing, Stefan Streit, during a CCS Insight Predictions event in London.

Having seen a huge push in 2018, BlackBerry devices have been largely absent in 2019. And, while the company executive didn't detail when the next phone would be out, he did give further reasoning as to why, when it does arrive, it won't sport 5G.

"It's not an entertainment device and you can already get your email really fast," he added.

Instead, Streit revealed that the company is looking at other areas where 5G technologies could be utilised: "We can have a lot of fun with 5G and where to apply it - maybe in an 8K TV or a fridge."
    Omg
    They never wanted it to be a full rounded device while the customers need or want fullrounded devices. Just extra safer and extra quicker on email duties as reliability.

If he wants it to be only that i cant be anything else
    And every time a tester handles it

Itwill always be an inferior phone
    Why
    On
    Earth
    Does it not sell then?

Posted via CB10
    10-07-19 09:32 AM
    And yet look at the camera design we got for the iPhone 11 Pro/Max.

BlackBerry was occupied by idiots too at some point.

Sometimes you just can't defend stupid decisions, and putting a 2800mAh cell paired with a 5.7" OLED display on a phone running the most powerful processor in existence is not exactly what I define to be a "smart" choice.

Let's stop defending the undefendable.
    Do you honestly believe that Apple execs didn't understand what they were doing when they designed their flagship phone? Every single mobile device involves trade offs and compromises between size, component quality, design aesthetics, battery life, etc. Just because you don't like the decisions doesn't mean that they weren't good business decisions.

==========
    Composed and edited on the exceptional BlackBerry VKB on my trusty Z10. Any typographic errors, misspells, or grammatical errors are likely due to my inattention and lack of interest in word-perfect communications on an Internet tech fan forum.
    TgeekB likes this.
    10-07-19 10:40 AM
    Do you honestly believe that Apple execs didn't understand what they were doing when they designed their flagship phone? Every single mobile device involves trade offs and compromises between size, component quality, design aesthetics, battery life, etc. Just because you don't like the decisions doesn't mean that they weren't good business decisions.

==========
    Composed and edited on the exceptional BlackBerry VKB on my trusty Z10. Any typographic errors, misspells, or grammatical errors are likely due to my inattention and lack of interest in word-perfect communications on an Internet tech fan forum.
    The iPhone 11 Pro/Max cameras look like crap. They should not have been this ugly.

The Pixel 4 has an underwhelming battery size. It should not have been this small.

It's not that hard to comprehend.
    10-07-19 03:33 PM

==========
    Holy Cow Batman! That is one loooooong signature line!
    the_boon likes this.
    10-07-19 04:16 PM
    Seriously... it's almost longer than the post... 🤣

Bob
    the_boon likes this.
    10-07-19 04:37 PM
    Just trying to keep it interesting.

========== Composed and edited on the exceptional BlackBerry VKB on my trusty Z10. Any typographic errors, misspells, or grammatical errors are likely due to my inattention and lack of interest in word-perfect communications on an Internet tech fan forum.
    dubengeldu likes this.
    10-07-19 05:21 PM
    The iPhone 11 Pro/Max cameras look like crap. They should not have been this ugly.

The Pixel 4 has an underwhelming battery size. It should not have been this small.

Obviously, you should be running Apple or Google. It's amazing they managed to become trillion dollars companies without you.

All kidding aside though, if they thought they would make more money with a different design and/or price, they would have done it. Sure they could have made better phones, but neither company is trying to make the best possible phones. They are trying to make the most profitable ones.
    Gene Fells and TgeekB like this.
    10-07-19 05:25 PM
    I agree with the first sentence. Not necessarily with the second one. Maybe it's a matter of functionality and they had little choice.
    Oh and btw the phone takes freaking incredible pictures. I'd never buy it myself for other reasons, but admit to that.
    10-07-19 07:39 PM

The iPhone 11 camera may look like crap (to you and perhaps others) but it takes some of the best photos ever in a smartphone and will sell like hot cakes.
    10-07-19 07:54 PM
    The iPhone 11 camera may look like crap (to you and perhaps others) but it takes some of the best photos ever in a smartphone and will sell like hot cakes.
    And we're supposed to believe that it couldn't have a nicer design while they were at it?

You know, something like what they themselves did the year prior?
    10-07-19 08:42 PM
    Obviously, you should be running Apple or Google. It's amazing they managed to become trillion dollars companies without you.

All kidding aside though, if they thought they would make more money with a different design and/or price, they would have done it. Sure they could have made better phones, but neither company is trying to make the best possible phones. They are trying to make the most profitable ones.
    So to you, just because a company is worth billions, that means they can't possibly make missteps?

"If [insert company name] did it, then it must mean they could NOT have POSSIBLY have been done it better!"
    10-07-19 08:44 PM
    Is it possible that the design is made so people instantly know it's an iPhone? Maybe they made it ugly like that on purpose.

And we're supposed to believe that it couldn't have a nicer design while they were at it?

10-07-19 10:34 PM

I agree 100% with both of these. Apple is barely giving a nod to anything in the ballpark of a redesign this year, so they're banking on the improved specs to allay the naysayers on design. Google just doesn't know how to hardware.

That being said, we can continue a spirited discussion without getting into name-calling and spitting on other members. Couple posts had to be removed that went a little over the line.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-08-19 12:40 AM
    If you don't like what Apple or Google are doing... you are free to keep supporting BlackBerry and their new phones and all the great things they are doing.

While I agree the iPhone's camera arrangement isn't as elegant as the G S10's... I'm not an optical engineer, so I don't know why they did what they did. But you can't complain too much about the end results when it comes to images from the new iPhones. In the end that's what really matters.

As for 5G... if they do another phone I don't really see them going with 5G at this point. Still not sure what 5G will bring to smartphones. Most Carrier's haven't topped out 4G speeds. Latency is going to be lower and might improve cloud services, AI and AR features. But I suspect that will require top of the line hardware across the board....
    10-08-19 07:37 AM
    So to you, just because a company is worth billions, that means they can't possibly make missteps?

"If [insert company name] did it, then it must mean they could NOT have POSSIBLY have been done it better!"
    What I'm saying is that Apple analyzed the crap out of their options when designing and pricing their current lineup of phones, and the phone they settled on, like it or hate it, is exactly the one they intended to make, given their options.

Only time will tell if it's a misstep,as you obviously believe it to be.
    10-08-19 09:02 AM

Your and my opinions of MI er design might be different. What should they do? In the end its performance that counts.
    10-08-19 10:00 AM
    In the end its performance that counts.
    That's one way of looking at it.

But getting a camera setup that doesn't look like a fidget spinner or an enlarged close up of a fly's eyes would have been nice to have, for a $1000+ design.

If it does indeed sell like hot cakes even more than last year's XS/Max (the last Apple phones that actually looked nice) then to me that just means Apple's customers will literally grab anything that the company churns out, at any cost, no matter how regressive the current product is compared to its prior iteration or how lacking it is in innovation.
    10-08-19 10:35 AM
    and the phone they settled on, like it or hate it, is exactly the one they intended to make
    Are you trying to convince me that the final design that was approved by the Apple overlords is exactly the same as the units that came off the assembly line?
    10-08-19 10:37 AM
    Are you trying to convince me that the final design that was approved by the Apple overlords is exactly the same as the units that came off the assembly line?
    Obviously, yes. They wouldn't have accepted them if they weren't what they ordered.

What I'm suggesting is that either

1) You weigh aesthetics and design differently than Apple executives did, who prefered the phone that they are producing (In this scenario, Apple's designers would have wanted to improve the design, but weren't allowed to due to other constraints, such as engineering, manufacturing costs, etc).

or

2) Your design tastes are different than Apple's designers (In this scenario, they prefer the phone as produced to what you would have preferred).
    10-08-19 11:35 AM
    Obviously, yes. They wouldn't have accepted them if they weren't what they ordered.

What I'm suggesting is that either

1) You weigh aesthetics and design differently than Apple executives did, who prefered the phone that they are producing (In this scenario, Apple's designers would have wanted to improve the design, but weren't allowed to due to other constraints, such as engineering, manufacturing costs, etc).

or

2) Your design tastes are different than Apple's designers (In this scenario, they prefer the phone as produced to what you would have preferred).
    It's not just me, but the general reaction to this camera design was not very enthusiastic, and for good reason (because it looks like a magnified fly)
    10-08-19 12:14 PM
    It's not just me, but the general reaction to this camera design was not very enthusiastic, and for good reason (because it looks like a magnified fly)
    I'm not defending the look. I'm just suggesting that it was an intentional choice, based on Apple's internal marketing data about what drives buyer behavior and their business objectives.

In plain English, they knew what the phone was going to look like and made a conscious decision that it was fine for its purpose, which was to be the geekiest of the iPhone variants, for well-heeled gear heads who cared more about performance than design.
    TgeekB and Laura Knotek like this.
    10-08-19 12:28 PM
106 12345