"I don't see the point of 5G on a BlackBerry," said TCL's general manager of marketing, Stefan Streit, during a CCS Insight Predictions event in London.

Having seen a huge push in 2018, BlackBerry devices have been largely absent in 2019. And, while the company executive didn't detail when the next phone would be out, he did give further reasoning as to why, when it does arrive, it won't sport 5G.

"It's not an entertainment device and you can already get your email really fast," he added.

Instead, Streit revealed that the company is looking at other areas where 5G technologies could be utilised: "We can have a lot of fun with 5G and where to apply it - maybe in an 8K TV or a fridge."

Just not a BlackBerry.

https://www.pocket-lint.com/phones/n...kberry-planned
    10-03-19 09:04 AM
    5g on a fridge? What to record the food spoilage in stop motion? My runners could use 5g, maybe it would speed up my walking.
    Winnertrack likes this.
    10-03-19 09:10 AM
    I guess if it helps them release a BB device faster thats fine but once most all the chipmakers have it as a packaged deal then it should be included.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-03-19 09:15 AM
    I'm confused. Why would a TV or fridge ever need to connect to a 5G network instead of WiFi?

But I'm not really interested in 5G, anyway. Not right away, at least, until they can address security, signal strength, and heat issues.
    i_plod_an_dr_void likes this.
    10-03-19 09:26 AM
    Presumably they're waiting for it to be old hat enough to warrant implementation on BB branded devices, if the licensing deal hasn't elapsed by then.
    10-03-19 09:27 AM
    "It's not an entertainment device and you can already get your email really fast," he added.
    Tools, not toys?
    10-03-19 10:10 AM
    Look, I can see the point in not having a 5G on a works device. Really. Probably it drain battery a whole fast, and effectively 4G is more than enough for messaging, emails and even some video calls.

What I can't understand is all the another BB current strategies - or lack of.
    10-03-19 10:37 AM
    Hopefully they are smart enough to build kill switches on all their consumer facing wifi/5g devices as future legislation regarding privacy/security and probably health and safety (microwave transmissions) will require manufacturers to do this.....my prediction...
    A kill switch? Yeah like those old fashioned light switches people still have.....for now.
    https://forums.theregister.co.uk/for...cking_cookies/
    10-03-19 10:49 AM
    Hmmm.

"And, while the company executive didn't detail when the next phone would be out, he did give further reasoning as to why, when it does arrive, it won't sport 5G."

This is the first comment in ages from any TCL rep even referencing the name "BlackBerry".
    TgeekB, Jake2826, pooyam and 1 others like this.
    10-03-19 11:45 AM
    Isn’t it good news that TCL is not talking about the end of BlackBerry?
    10-03-19 11:48 AM
    Hmmm.

"And, while the company executive didn't detail when the next phone would be out, he did give further reasoning as to why, when it does arrive, it won't sport 5G."

This is the first comment in ages from any TCL rep even referencing the name "BlackBerry".
    Yeah, I was just thinking that also when I read the comment. Interesting and maybe, just maybe a tiny ray of hope for those wanting a Key3.
    10-03-19 12:08 PM
    Isn’t it good news that TCL is not talking about the end of BlackBerry?
    I would imagine so, but you never truly know what the real intentions behind the words are.

Do they want to signal customers so they don't stop buying the remaining stock?

Do they want to signal BlackBerry so they appear committed to the program?

Always hard to know.
    hamilgs likes this.
    10-03-19 12:10 PM
    I would imagine so, but you never truly know what the real intentions behind the words are.

Always hard to know.
    Yes to all the above. Seems positive message to read but no idea who the intended recipient truly is...
    10-03-19 01:28 PM
    Yes to all the above. Seems positive message to read but no idea who the intended recipient truly is...
    Consider the source of the event and what they cover - https://www.ccsinsight.com/events/cc...20-and-beyond/

'60% of last year’s audience held CxO and other executive-level roles.'

It was an offhand comment while part of a broader discussion, which you can view below. Skip to 19:47 for the 5G BlackBerry talk.

Stefan wasn't even supposed to be there.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-03-19 02:51 PM

Always hard to know.
    TCL: "We'll put 5G in a fridge, but not a Blackberry."

I'd say their intention is clear.
    10-03-19 04:32 PM
    TCL: "We'll put 5G in a fridge, but not a Blackberry."

I'd say their intention is clear.
    I'm not prepared to believe that there even will be another device, despite them suggesting otherwise.
    10-03-19 04:44 PM
    TCL management was taking about making BlackBerry brand for their high end devices two years ago, but now BlackBerry doesn't need 5G because why do you need 5G to send an email!
    BlackBerry is now just a pager to them. LOL.
    10-03-19 04:45 PM
    I'm not prepared to believe that there even will be another device, despite them suggesting otherwise.
    Which would further make their intention clear.
    10-03-19 04:45 PM
    Which would further make their intention clear.
    Huh?
    10-03-19 04:46 PM
    I also read this and wonder if it is a harbinger of the future. Are BlackBerry phones becoming a thing of the past? And with BlackBerry stock having just lost over 30% of its value the mobile division appears to be in jeopardy. I hope not!
    10-03-19 06:01 PM
    Hmmm.

He may have meant "if". I'm all for optimism but until they outright say the device is coming, I wouldn't hold breath.

Posted via CB10
    10-03-19 06:14 PM
    Well, given that Chen has said virtually NOTHING about this doesn't help. I guess it's time to start looking at options for next year.
    10-03-19 06:40 PM
    I also read this and wonder if it is a harbinger of the future. Are BlackBerry phones becoming a thing of the past? And with BlackBerry stock having just lost over 30% of its value the mobile division appears to be in jeopardy. I hope not!
    Wrong company as BlackBerry Limited exited mobile 3 years ago.
    10-03-19 06:58 PM
    This is an interesting development as Blackberry Limited is showing more commitment to its supposedly-antiquated OSes than TCL is to its more modern Android devices. All indications are the TCL licensing deal is not long for this world.
    10-03-19 07:39 PM
    BlackBerry Limited provides software in the way of apps for the TCL manufactured devices. This is what I was referring to.
    10-03-19 07:39 PM
106 123 ...