Are carriers abandoning BlackBerry?

I see that Verizon is only selling the Priv... and AT&T and T-Mobile aren't showing anything at all from BlackBerry.

I am ready to return to BB... but this has me wondering.

Thanks!
    01-22-17 05:00 PM
    Buy any/all BlackBerry's you might be considering outright and unlocked. NEVER worry again about waiting for carrier updates. ;o)

The White Knight-BlackBerry Passport
    SirSti23 likes this.
    01-22-17 05:23 PM
    Unfortunately, not all of us can lay out that kind of cash all at once.

Posted via CB10
    01-22-17 05:32 PM
    Which BB are you considering ?
    01-22-17 05:46 PM
    Unfortunately, not all of us can lay out that kind of cash all at once.

Posted via CB10
    Well, then maybe you should re-think whether or not you actually NEED that shiny new phone just yet...

Buying a phone on contract doesn't actually save you money. When you do the math, you'll see that it actually ends up costing you substantially more. Carriers are mega-corporations - they aren't charities handing out cheap electronics from the kindness in their capitalist hearts. They want your money and as much of it as possible. It's in their best interest to keep people on expensive plans at long-term contracts, not yours.
    01-22-17 05:59 PM
    Which BB are you considering ?
    Priv 2.0

Seriously... I like the design and functionality of the Priv. I'm just not sure that they got this one exactly right (based upon user complaints).
    01-22-17 06:03 PM
    I 'm still on a Classic.
    Will maybe try the Mercury when available.

However I have talked with others with Priv and they love it!

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...lackberry+priv

I have bought camera stuff from these guys and they are amazing!

Posted via CB10
    01-22-17 06:11 PM
    Thanks for the link!

Yes. I've been keeping an eye on the Mercury also. It looks promising. If I knew that it would be released within the next few months, I might hold out. I just can't go too much longer without replacing my ailing device (Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge).
    01-22-17 06:29 PM
    Verizon will only allow Verizon branded phones on their network. Plus, most unlocked phones are not primarily CDMA.

Posted via CB10
    01-22-17 06:49 PM
    Verizon will only allow Verizon branded phones on their network. Plus, most unlocked phones are not primarily CDMA.

Posted via CB10
    Yes. BlackBerry was quick to tell me that none of their direct sell devices support the CDMA networks. And wouldn't you know it... VzW has the best network in these here parts. Grr.
    01-22-17 06:54 PM
    Thanks for the link!

Yes. I've been keeping an eye on the Mercury also. It looks promising. If I knew that it would be released within the next few months, I might hold out. I just can't go too much longer without replacing my ailing device (Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge).
    You absolutely want a physical keyboard ?
    ( not interested in the Dteks ? )

Oh , what carrier are you on ?
    01-22-17 06:56 PM
    You absolutely want a physical keyboard ?
    ( not interested in the Dteks ? )

Oh , what carrier are you on ?
    Absolutely! The pkb is what I miss the most.

VzW (for now).
    01-22-17 07:08 PM
    Absolutely! The pkb is what I miss the most.

VzW (for now).
    Never liked the sliders myself .
    From what I see , the keyboard on the Priv is used occasionally .
    If you want a true keyboard maybe it would be better to wait for the Mercury...
    01-22-17 07:22 PM
    Well, then maybe you should re-think whether or not you actually NEED that shiny new phone just yet...

Buying a phone on contract doesn't actually save you money. When you do the math, you'll see that it actually ends up costing you substantially more. Carriers are mega-corporations - they aren't charities handing out cheap electronics from the kindness in their capitalist hearts. They want your money and as much of it as possible. It's in their best interest to keep people on expensive plans at long-term contracts, not yours.
    I know I can save in the long run - unfortunately I have monthly obligations that take precedence and leave little for such one time expenditures.

As for that "shiny new phone". I don't jump on every new one that comes along.

I'm currently still on my AT&T Z10 bought for 20 bucks because it was a refurb. Yes, it was on a two-year contract but that's long over and now only paying for the mobile plan.

Previous phone was a 9800 refurb for 1 cent from AT&T that I also had for 3 years.

With the new plans, refurbs don't happen much any more. At least not the ones I want. And I just can't afford an unlocked BlackBerry of any kind.

Unless some good deal comes along, I'm toughing it out with my Z10.

Posted via CB10
    01-22-17 07:26 PM
    I guess I am in the right location. No problem with Sasktel in Canada....

Edit: the pic I took was maybe 4 months ago, and now I see the Leap isn't listed tonite on their website...

No more carriers?-img_1485153837.633159.jpgNo more carriers?-img_1485153850.094171.jpgNo more carriers?-img_1485153858.979883.jpg
    Matty likes this.
    01-23-17 12:44 AM
    Yes. BlackBerry was quick to tell me that none of their direct sell devices support the CDMA networks. And wouldn't you know it... VzW has the best network in these here parts. Grr.
    Not to be argumentative, but carrier coverage is VERY dynamic - carriers are constantly adding towers, as well as refarming existing towers to use their spectrum in different ways. I'm not sure if you've checked your area lately or not, but things that might well have been absolutely true a year or two ago may no longer be true - such as that no other carriers have good coverage in your area.

You might want to do what you can to verify with other people in your areas of operation who are on other carriers how the coverage is today. It might be that what was once horrible or non-existent is perfectly fine now.
    Tim-ANC likes this.
    01-23-17 01:22 AM
    Not to be argumentative, but carrier coverage is VERY dynamic - carriers are constantly adding towers, as well as refarming existing towers to use their spectrum in different ways. I'm not sure if you've checked your area lately or not, but things that might well have been absolutely true a year or two ago may no longer be true - such as that no other carriers have good coverage in your area.

You might want to do what you can to verify with other people in your areas of operation who are on other carriers how the coverage is today. It might be that what was once horrible or non-existent is perfectly fine now.
    Understood. Unfortunately, I live in rural America. Nothing here ever changes.
    01-23-17 04:46 AM
    Understood. Unfortunately, I live in rural America. Nothing here ever changes.
    Do you have decent AT&T coverage? It's pretty good in the rural areas where I go to visit friends, and it's the second best netwrok in the US. I'm on Cricket (uses AT&T towers) and all my unlocked BB phones have worked great.
    01-23-17 06:16 AM
    Do you have decent AT&T coverage? It's pretty good in the rural areas where I go to visit friends, and it's the second best netwrok in the US. I'm on Cricket (uses AT&T towers) and all my unlocked BB phones have worked great.
    AT&T is spotty... but it's not awful. And since Verizon is limited with BB... AT&T is where I will likely end up.
    01-23-17 06:21 AM
    If you are looking for the best value on a Verizon compatible Priv the best route to go would be getting a used one from these forums or on an auction site. If you are patient you can find one in excellent condition and save a couple hundred dollars from the retail price.
    mrhobbsworth likes this.
    01-23-17 10:46 AM
    Buy any/all BlackBerry's you might be considering outright and unlocked. NEVER worry again about waiting for carrier updates. ;o)

The White Knight-BlackBerry Passport
    While that might work for some carriers. But so far to use a BB phone on Verizon, you need to purchase from Verizon (or dealers who sold Verizon models). ShopBB did not sell Verizon models of their phones.
    01-23-17 11:33 PM

I did a test in Nov. Two Priv's. A Verizon one and a ShopBB one using a T-Mobile sim. 7 miles south of Sedona at a large resort near other larger resorts and a block from a smaller mall. Verizon had service and T-mobile did not. Walked to the desk and inquired. Staff reported that only Verizon seems to work in '"this" area and anywhere near steeper terrain. Out a bit in the boonies for a hike and a trail monitor told us only Verizon works and it can be spotty but that it can get signals whereas AT*T, etc do not work at all.

Obviously, this is a unique situation but one I suspected was like that (Desert Southwest is not cell friendly but Verizon can work) which is why I ran the test. I would have liked to also try an AT&T sim but did not have an opportunity. I vacation in such areas and will stick with Verizon for its service in such areas as much as a pain-in-the-butt as they can be as a company.
    01-23-17 11:43 PM

I see that Verizon is only selling the Priv... and AT&T and T-Mobile aren't showing anything at all from BlackBerry.

Thanks!
    Doesn't really matter if the carriers don't stock the device. Just purchase one from Amazon or Shop.Blackberry and you will continue to get instant updates. Carriers are nice for subsidies rates, but i wouldn't worry if they don't stock the phone. There are no carriers locally for me that stock the DTEK60 and only one or 2 that stock the DTEK50. Blackberry is a rough diamond that just needs a little shining.

And if you cant afford to spend all the money upfront. Just save a little each month and then purchase the device you want after 6 months or so
    01-24-17 04:09 AM
    Doesn't really matter if the carriers don't stock the device. Just purchase one from Amazon or Shop.Blackberry and you will continue to get instant updates. Carriers are nice for subsidies rates, but i wouldn't worry if they don't stock the phone. There are no carriers locally for me that stock the DTEK60 and only one or 2 that stock the DTEK50. Blackberry is a rough diamond that just needs a little shining.

And if you cant afford to spend all the money upfront. Just save a little each month and then purchase the device you want after 6 months or so
    But the point is that you cannot buy a non-Verizon branded phone and use it on the Verizon network (plus these retailers do not sell CDMA phones and clearly state they will not work on Verizon anyway).

Posted via CB10
    01-24-17 06:47 AM

Thanks!
    Actually, buying a phone directly from blackberry is a better option because you get updates immediately.

Occasionally the updates will break your phone but you get them.
    01-24-17 07:06 AM
32 12