This.

If I could buy an unlocked berry directly from BlackBerry I would currently have all three BlackBerry 10 models instead of just the Z10. To get another phone online from my carrier I have to sign up for another line. I could go into the store and outright buy one, but the experience is so bad, I avoid it at all costs.

Me and the online shopping. 5x the rate of impulse buys.

Posted via CB10
    You can't find unlocked bb's online? Amazon has had them since the beginning
    09-02-13 06:45 PM
    The BMW Z3 was designed by Joji Nagashima, Munich, Germany in 1993 and assembled in the USA. In terms of not having the VW Polo in the USA. I believe there would be a very big market since a lot of people drive them just south of the US. border and the rest of South America.
    VW USA aparently disagrees as they keep making excuses to not bring it over. The US Passat is now different and bigger than its German counterpart with the same name, I believe the Jetta is also different (bigger) here than elsewhere. Golf is still the same and the Jetta wagon is actually the Golf Wagon

Posted via CB10
    09-02-13 06:47 PM
    Is this true? If so, z10 owners are screwed.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk
    Consider me one of the screwed then. Miracast is one of the new "features" of 10.2 but the Z can't support it. Outdated within 5-6 months of launch, even the pb had longer legs
    theflew likes this.
    09-02-13 06:49 PM
    VW USA aparently disagrees as they keep making excuses to not bring it over. The US Passat is now different and bigger than its German counterpart with the same name, I believe the Jetta is also different (bigger) here than elsewhere. Golf is still the same and the Jetta wagon is actually the Golf Wagon

Posted via CB10
    The polo is a rubbish car, I've driven lots of them in lots of countries. It's cheap though
    theflew likes this.
    09-02-13 06:53 PM
    Consider me one of the screwed then. Miracast is one of the new "features" of 10.2 but the Z can't support it. Outdated within 5-6 months of launch, even the pb had longer legs
    I definitely dodged a bullet.

09-02-13 06:56 PM
    This.

If I could buy an unlocked berry directly from BlackBerry I would currently have all three BlackBerry 10 models instead of just the Z10. To get another phone online from my carrier I have to sign up for another line. I could go into the store and outright buy one, but the experience is so bad, I avoid it at all costs.

Posted via CB10
    Well, today is your lucky day. BestBuy.com (U.S) is selling the Q5 and Z10 unlocked. Amazon has the Q10's and Z10's unlocked as well. This is the new direction of Blackberry sales, because it seems the carriers are dropping support.

So, knock yourself out buying your unlocked phones. I doubt if many others feel the confidence in boost in sales because of the new unlocked, "no carrier" ties theory.

Best Buy (U.S.) Blackberry Q5 (Unlocked)

https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=wwoCIDOR

Blackberry Q5 (unlocked)- Amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/BlackBerry-Q5-...bUvbUpU9109461
    Last edited by boi2012; 09-02-13 at 07:09 PM. Reason: added link
    09-02-13 06:57 PM
    This.

Posted via CB10

Not sure where you are located but I suspect you can buy an unlocked one. I bought my Q10 from Amazon without a contract. I had to pay full price though, which is the problem with buying directly without a carrier subsidy.
    09-02-13 06:58 PM
    BlackBerry should sell unlocked devices direct to consumers and enterprises . Cut out the middleman. If they focus on the enterprise market and it becomes scarce to the consumers it will become hip agan.

Posted via CB10
    So you want to cut out the middleman. Now any time someone wants a phone and walks into a store there will been even more pressure to buy an apple or Android. And I don't think focusing on business use will make it hip. I don't see kids walking around with brief cases in suits yet.
    09-02-13 06:58 PM
    So you want to cut out the middleman. Now any time someone wants a phone and walks into a store there will been even more pressure to buy an apple or Android. And I don't think focusing on business use will make it hip. I don't see kids walking around with brief cases in suits yet.
    Last year many kids at school were all using blackberries. Same for the year before, and maybe even the year before that. I don't know about this year though, I doubt it though. The London riots were operated via BBM, that just goes to show blackberry was popular among teens in 2011-2012 at least.
    09-02-13 07:14 PM
    Is this true? If so, z10 owners are screwed.

Materials alone the Z10 is worth more than Q5. Samsung would never price the S4 below the S Mini.
    theflew likes this.
    09-02-13 07:15 PM
    That's why Germany, the backbone of the euro zone adopted BlackBerry 10 and why BlackBerry sponsored a Formula 1 team not a nascar team. Pretty sure US economy isn't the greatest so careful what you say.

Posted via CB10
    I would be surprised if bb can survive as a consumer device with a rest of the world strategy. The fact is the lack of a ecosystem and legacy os battery pulls killed them in this country.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    theflew likes this.
    09-02-13 07:24 PM
    Seriously? That's what you meant by outdated?
    It's supposedly missing hardware component required for Miracast, but will still do Direct Wi-Fi & DLNA.
    If Miracast is personally important to you, then fair enough. I'd hazard a guess that most smartphone owners have never heard of it.

The Z10 is completely capable to run the 10.2 OS.
    09-02-13 07:27 PM
    That's why Germany, the backbone of the euro zone adopted BlackBerry 10 and why BlackBerry sponsored a Formula 1 team not a nascar team. Pretty sure US economy isn't the greatest so careful what you say.

Posted via CB10
    Funny I was in Frankfurt last month for a couple weeks staying right next to the backbone of the Euro and my Z10 was the only BB10 or BB device I saw the entire trip. Didn't see an single BlackBerry commercial the whole time but saw tons of Samsung GalaxyS4 and Lumia commercials there though. So is BB10 or BB selling great there or is the government and the F1 team the only people using it?
    09-02-13 07:33 PM
    Yes because they are giving Nokia phones for free. For every Nokia phone being sold, they are losing.
    No, the word on the street is Nokia makes about 25% profit on the Lumia 520. The difference is unlike BB10, WP can scale to lower spec devices and work well. BB10 for whatever reason requires 2 GB of RAM. RAM is stacked on top of the SoC, so it's very expensive. That's why the Z10, Q10 and Q5 are all in the same ballpark price wise. If the processor is the same, RAM is the same the only variable is screen size, camera. But in BB10 case if the resolution of the lower spec devices is high.

Nokia on the other hand has devices with 512MB up to 2GB or RAM, 1Ghz - 1.5Ghz processors, 4GB - 32 GB or Storage, 720P or XVGA screens, 5MP - 41MP cameras, etc... You can see where you can play a lot with devices and price points when you can change that many variables.
    09-02-13 07:38 PM
    We don't need to sell millions a week. We are the phone for elite professionals. So sales won't be huge unless it becomes a fad. Slow n steady

Posted via CB10
    That is truly funny. Oh wait... Were you serious?

SwiftKeyed/Flowed via Tapatalk 4 Beta
    boi2012 likes this.
    09-02-13 07:46 PM
    Seriously? That's what you meant by outdated?
    It's supposedly missing hardware component required for Miracast, but will still do Direct Wi-Fi & DLNA.
    If Miracast is personally important to you, then fair enough. I'd hazard a guess that most smartphone owners have never heard of it.

The Z10 is completely capable to run the 10.2 OS.
    Seriously can it run the full version of 10.2??? Nope, but the mid range q5 can.

Not sure how many bb's you've had, but none of mine except the original storm were able to use newer os versions greater than a .xxx .

Wifi direct doesn't work yet, and the old outdated 7.1's had DLNA for a long time.
    09-02-13 08:02 PM
    That is truly funny. Oh wait... Were you serious?

SwiftKeyed/Flowed via Tapatalk 4 Beta

Yea. I didn't realize it was serious at first either.
    09-02-13 08:03 PM
    Was at the tmobile store in Seattle today. They sold a z10 while I was there. And the sales person said they sold 6 over the weekend. That sounds perfectly healthy to me. And they had a full display.

Posted via CB10
    Considering that store probably did over 80 activation's Friday, 150 on Saturday, and 60 Sunday. 6 isn't a whole lot. Radio Shack as a company is averaging about 8 per day across 7,000+ locations, I guess comparatively they did decent.

The simple fact is BlackBerry is selling less BB10 Devices than any other manufacturer in that store. Sony, HTC, Nokia, Huawei, ZTE, Samsung, Apple, Alcatel, LG, Motorola and every other brand on the sales floor is selling more phones. I'd wager cash, in nearly every single store selling BB10 devices in the US, they're sold less than any other carried brand.
    h20work likes this.
    09-02-13 08:04 PM
    Um, it was a relatively low production flagship model, and I'm pretty sure they cost a bit more than $18,000 new. Sure you're not getting your �s and $s confused?
    No..I lived in Italy for a while and that's what they cost..it was phased out because it was a poor seller
    09-02-13 08:05 PM
    Interesting points. The issue with the returns is key. Whatever happened with the investigation on the outfit reporting that returns outnumbered sales initially?
    There is little doubt but that this site, as virtually all others, has a few posters that simply stir things up without thought/merit. Call them trolls or anything else. Not much different are those that simply support the Home Team because they hate to admit that they didn't make the best purchase, maybe have an investment in BB, or even work for them. HOWEVER, I still subscribe to the simple adage that "Where there's smoke there's fire." The early reports (in late April and early May) of returns of the Z10's outnumbering gross unit sales probably was never true in the aggregate, at least over any significant time period. But there clearly was merit in the finding that OS10 and the Z10 in combination had the highest return rate of any phone in the first half of 2013. One only had to read the CB blogs, if they didn't own a Z10. If they owned a Z10, had extensive prior experience with a smart phone, and were heavily dependent on a multi-featured smart-phone for their livelihood/job, then it was easy to accept that the frustration with OS10 would push average consumer returns very high. Perhaps OS10 had to be pushed to market in the early spring (already two years late) to beat Samsung and Apple announcements but it was clear from its intro that it wasn't ready for prime time. ... Any BB momentum dissipated before it could begin.

NO, the Zed unit sales numbers were never clarified lest (I presume) they further imperil consumer confidence in BB, the newly released Q10, forthcoming September announced results, and/or hurt early talks of a leveraged buyout/sale of BB during the (now ended) summer.
    09-02-13 08:07 PM
    Considering that store probably did over 80 activation's Friday, 150 on Saturday, and 60 Sunday. 6 isn't a whole lot. Radio Shack as a company is averaging about 8 per day across 7,000+ locations, I guess comparatively they did decent.

The simple fact is BlackBerry is selling less BB10 Devices than any other manufacturer in that store. Sony, HTC, Nokia, Huawei, ZTE, Samsung, Apple, Alcatel, LG, Motorola and every other brand on the sales floor is selling more phones. I'd wager cash, in nearly every single store selling BB10 devices in the US, they're sold less than any other carried brand.
    Bb10 is only available special order from radio shack, has been since launch. Sad since they are the #1 wireless retailer in the states
    09-02-13 08:09 PM
    i read this and think "the hell, i can name plenty of compelling reasons...." but then i realize, my phone history goes like this. curve 8300, bold 9700 (still my favorite phone in life), torch 9810, z10. i guess you are right.

but i don't think it's just BBRYs fault. i think the same is/would be true for anyone. i can't imagine why i would switch from iPhone if i had had one for years. same for android. its just, so easy and simple to stick with what you know. the phenomenon has been true for cars, consumer electronics like tvs and computers for years...just because of brand recognition really. now that effect is compounded because of app ecosystems, account systems (bb id, apple id), simple things like chargers if you are with silly (but maybe its smart) nonstandard apple.

i still think the z10 is the coolest, neatest, most enjoyable, smart, simple, efficient phone i've ever used. but i found that out on purpose, after weeks of reading online and watching videos. and the app shortages didn't bother me, but i know they do others

even after having had three blackberries in a row, i came quite close to going with a nokia windows phone. even then, the thing that pushed me to stick with blackberry was probably i found out i could get a new z10 via Amazon for 1 penny (renew contract with at&t, but still)

i hope something works out. i bought a dreamcast just a few months before sega jumped ship. it, like the z10, was a revolutionary device that just didn't sell well next to an established rival that had a new machine coming down the pipe from Sony.
    09-02-13 08:21 PM
    That's what I told my kids. If I am paying phone bills, Blackberry is the only phone on the list. No apple or android. Go BB Go
    so freedom of choice does not exist in your household..
    boi2012 likes this.
    09-02-13 08:23 PM
    The polo is a rubbish car, I've driven lots of them in lots of countries. It's cheap though
    Those cars with small engines are not meant for the US market. We drive longer distances than Europeans and a 4 cylinders 1 liter cannot succeed here.
    09-02-13 08:30 PM
    Well, today is your lucky day. BestBuy.com (U.S) is selling the Q5 and Z10 unlocked. Amazon has the Q10's and Z10's unlocked as well. This is the new direction of Blackberry sales, because it seems the carriers are dropping support.

So, knock yourself out buying your unlocked phones. I doubt if many others feel the confidence in boost in sales because of the new unlocked, "no carrier" ties theory.

Best Buy (U.S.) Blackberry Q5 (Unlocked)

BlackBerry Q5 4G Mobile Phone Unlocked BB Q5 BLK - Best Buy

Blackberry Q5 (unlocked)- Amazon.com

Amazon.com: Blackberry Q5 Black Unlocked: Cell Phones & Accessories
    wow..the Q5 costs more than the Z10 unlocked..how crazy is that? Amazon.com: BLACKBERRY Z10 16GB BLACK FACTORY UNLOCKED GSM: Cell Phones & Accessories
    09-02-13 08:32 PM
451 ... 1314151617 ...