I remember when a phone looked like this:
    Attachment 397117

It was mobile, too. You could pick it up and walk around the room with it. But the app gap was pretty bad. I had to move on.
    That looks like it could double as a weapon in the event someone broke into your home!

Posted via CB10
    04-14-16 01:47 PM
    It's closer than you think, looking at macroeconomic factors. If you look at debt saturation and lack of paydown, the employment statistics fantasies coming from the BLS when compared to the labour participation rate, the depreciation of Western fiat currencies, and the stark contraction in discretionary spending, the current, broader ecosystem of consumer electronics brands and categories isn't long for this world. Apple will be hit first and hardest percentage-wise but Google will bleed out the fastest; in the end they're an advertising magnate hawking the wares of their corporate overlords to a populace that increasingly has no money. Online advertising is self-destructing handily and it's affecting market research (I worked in that industry for over a decade and still maintain contact with members of top-10 AMA firms) very badly.
    Interesting analysis. Well, the digital revolution certainly demonstrated how quickly you can effect a sea change in society. It's incredible when you think about the last 15 years, and particularly the last 5...

Posted via CB10
    04-14-16 01:57 PM
    What's more functional and productive a Surface Pro 4 or a Samsung S2. We will likely be making similar comparisons when the Surface Pro phone is released in early '17. And do you honestly think devs will and or are going to ignore a billion touch points? Despite mobile mentality Microsoft owns the business world. They are and will leverage this successfully with Win 10.

Z10 on 10.3.2
    Perhaps, but people have been saying that since like 2003.
    04-19-16 05:09 PM
    Sour grapes!
    Sour berries
    DrBoomBotz and JeepBB like this.
    04-19-16 05:15 PM
    This has also been a major problem for the PC industry, where once folks used a laptop and a smartphone, now with memory and functionality steadily increasing in the newer smartphones and getting cheaper, the portable PC will be the next victim to be phased out. The phablet style smartphones will be the new replacement for the laptop computer.
    That may work for people whose "work" on computers consists of basic tasks, such as email, small documents, and basic web browsing, but we are a decade away from mobile phones having enough horsepower for serious tasks in content creation, engineering, or data analysis. The obstacles to be overcome are not trivial. The technology is barely on the horizon.

Posted via CB10
    04-20-16 03:56 PM
    And that's all you're really upset about, deep down, just like most on this forum. You just want more BB10 phones, even if that is what would cause Blackberry a quick death, unlike the slow death you predict. 95% of what is posted here is butthurt.

The fact, and yes FACT that BB10 almost bankrupted the company, you conveniently ignore.
    Uh completely ignore that fact that through miss management the company was close to what.

#luvmybb10os
    04-20-16 05:39 PM
    While I agree that portable computing with see a more concerted fusion with mobile architecture in the next few years, the requirements of real estate for professional content creation will prevent abandonment of notebooks or notebook-sized hybrids for the foreseeable future, at least until mobiles are able to project holography capable of manual manipulation and tactile feedback. I'm sure that sounds like the asinine 'PKB for fast/longer text entry' argument but there really is no functional replacement for that real estate need. Granted one can paint on the head of a pin but it's functionally pointless.
    Agree on that point, in my line of work (architecture) we sure need big monitors and powerful processors, desktops are essential and +15" laptops too. Working on an IPad or a phablet is not that useful except for communications, at which BlackBerry excels.

Posted via CB10
    bh7171 likes this.
    04-20-16 05:45 PM
    Uh completely ignore that fact that through miss management the company was close to what.

#luvmybb10os
    The thing is, that if Blackberry had been managed properly, BB10 would never have existed.

The smart thing to do would have been to jump onto Android once it was clear that Android would be the #1 or #2 OS along with IOS. That should have happened around 2010. BB would have had 6 years by now to work on Android security, Android Hub, all that good stuff. They could have had a lean, unbloated version of Android that would put all the other discombobulated skins to shame.

And if they wanted to work on their own little OS project on the side, guess what? Why not? Samsung does, but that's because Samsung makes a crapton of money off their Android phones so they can afford to tinker with a small-change OS that may never amount to squat.

But trying to introduce a mass-market OS in 2013, after the world has already said "We want IOS, we want Android" is what got us to where we are now. As has been said and proven, in 3 years, BB10 has never made one penny of profit, but has sank the company with billions of dollars in losses. But here we have folks saying "it needs more time" and "they didn't even give it a chance." Huh???
    04-21-16 03:18 AM
    The thing is, that if Blackberry had been managed properly, BB10 would never have existed.

The smart thing to do would have been to jump onto Android once it was clear that Android would be the #1 or #2 OS along with IOS. That should have happened around 2010. BB would have had 6 years by now to work on Android security, Android Hub, all that good stuff. They could have had a lean, unbloated version of Android that would put all the other discombobulated skins to shame.

And if they wanted to work on their own little OS project on the side, guess what? Why not? Samsung does, but that's because Samsung makes a crapton of money off their Android phones so they can afford to tinker with a small-change OS that may never amount to squat.

But trying to introduce a mass-market OS in 2013, after the world has already said "We want IOS, we want Android" is what got us to where we are now. As has been said and proven, in 3 years, BB10 has never made one penny of profit, but has sank the company with billions of dollars in losses. But here we have folks saying "it needs more time" and "they didn't even give it a chance." Huh???
    Actually, if BlackBerry had been managed properly, there likely would have been no Android at all. Blackberry had the only smart phone and a great brand long before the iPhone existed. If they'd developed BB10 in 2005-7 and competed directly with the iPhone upon its release, Google would have been happy to let two competitors split the market and supplied them both with content and search.

Instead, when Apple became dominant so quickly, Google panicked that Apple could shut them out of mobile. That's why they released an open source mobile OS to ensure that Google would have multiple manufacturers competing against Apple with a Google-friendly OS.

Posted via CB10
    04-22-16 09:22 AM
    Instead, when Apple became dominant so quickly, Google panicked that Apple could shut them out of mobile. That's why they released an open source mobile OS to ensure that Google would have multiple manufacturers competing against Apple with a Google-friendly OS.
    Not quite. Google bought Android (the company started by Andy Rubin, former CEO of Danger, who made the Sidekick) in 2005 - two years before the release of the iPhone - and were planning to release Android regardless.

Of course, it was still possible that BB could have held Android down with a strong dominant position (shared with Apple) and kept Android from getting traction - but BB would have had to have been working on a next-gen OS starting in 2004-2005, and been fully on-board with the direction the market was moving. Instead, BB was "led" by Mike Lazaridis, who spent 2004-2008 advising the carriers not to move forward with technological improvements (that would make his solutions for 2G networking obsolete), including: 3G (he successfully convinced a few carriers to roll out "2.5G" for a while), LTE, full web browsing, and apps. Mike was convinced that the world didn't "need" these things, and that everyone should be happy with 2G, email, and BBM forever.

Chen's not the guy who drove the boat into the iceberg - that was Mike. Chen didn't even get hired until the bow of the ship was nearly underwater - it's amazing that he's been able to keep it afloat, even if big parts of the "ship" had to be sacrificed to do so.
    04-22-16 05:28 PM
    If they'd developed BB10 in 2005-7...
    ...everything would be different.
    JeepBB likes this.
    04-22-16 05:56 PM
    Actually, if BlackBerry had been managed properly, there likely would have been no Android at all. Blackberry had the only smart phone and a great brand long before the iPhone existed. If they'd developed BB10 in 2005-7 and competed directly with the iPhone upon its release, Google would have been happy to let two competitors split the market and supplied them both with content and search.

Posted via CB10
    True story

The newest member....Cobalt Classic
    04-22-16 06:01 PM
    Enjoy your Android phones guys ... now you can download a zillion useless apps and games on your identical candybar slabs!
    Or you know, be productive and have a device that works. Which is more then my BB10 did
    TgeekB and MC_A_DOT like this.
    04-22-16 11:19 PM
    Or you know, be productive and have a device that works. Which is more then my BB10 did
    Which BlackBerry 10 device did you have that did not work or limit your productivity.

Z30 wickedness
    04-23-16 12:03 AM
    Not quite. Google bought Android (the company started by Andy Rubin, former CEO of Danger, who made the Sidekick) in 2005 - two years before the release of the iPhone - and were planning to release Android regardless.

Of course, it was still possible that BB could have held Android down with a strong dominant position (shared with Apple) and kept Android from getting traction - but BB would have had to have been working on a next-gen OS starting in 2004-2005, and been fully on-board with the direction the market was moving. Instead, BB was "led" by Mike Lazaridis, who spent 2004-2008 advising the carriers not to move forward with technological improvements (that would make his solutions for 2G networking obsolete), including: 3G (he successfully convinced a few carriers to roll out "2.5G" for a while), LTE, full web browsing, and apps. Mike was convinced that the world didn't "need" these things, and that everyone should be happy with 2G, email, and BBM forever.

Chen's not the guy who drove the boat into the iceberg - that was Mike. Chen didn't even get hired until the bow of the ship was nearly underwater - it's amazing that he's been able to keep it afloat, even if big parts of the "ship" had to be sacrificed to do so.
    Chen failed with android and a million apps. That tells you everything about how good Chen is. No need to defend him like family.
    04-23-16 12:27 AM

Posted via CB10
    That's a true scenario also. Either way they waited too long to compete. The game was over by the time they made it to the field.

BlackBerry Classic non-camera, Cricket Wireless
    04-23-16 05:51 AM
    Chen failed with android and a million apps. That tells you everything about how good Chen is. No need to defend him like family.
    Chen couldn't possibly have "won" with regards to smartphones under the circumstances he walked into. That just wasn't a possibility. But MIKE had everything going for him and blew it completely. If you're going to be upset at someone, it should at least be the right person. Chen wasn't hired to save smartphones...
    04-23-16 10:42 AM
    Remember that by the time Chen was hired Blackberry was already a toxic brand in most of the major markets, and the majority of North American smartphone buyers would not even consider buying BlackBerry if it sold for $75 and came with a free $100 bill in the box.
    04-23-16 10:53 AM
    Yes indeed!

BB took a 4.6 BILLION DOLLAR big bath loss in a single event when Chen first arrived.

I'm sure Chen must shudder and roll his eyes at the love displayed here for BB10, and at the calls for it to continue, given that BB10 almost broke the company.
    Put the blame at the right place though. It wasn't BB10 that was the failure, it was BlackBerry management's handling of it. The greatest product in the world is meaningless if an effort isn't behind it to get it to people.
    bh7171 likes this.
    04-23-16 11:05 AM
    BlackBerry will be going the way of Nokia. They have no intention of being a serious contender with hardware. The only remnant of BB will be various firmware applications for cars, boats and trains.

Posted via CB10
    04-24-16 02:48 PM
    Yup. We are currently in bargaining stage.
    Attachment 396995

RedBerry Passport /10.3.2.2876 / Telus
    You mean we can grab a bargain now?
    Many great phones have come down in price now...! :-D

�   There's a Crack in the Berry right now...   �
    04-24-16 10:06 PM
    Which BlackBerry 10 device did you have that did not work or limit your productivity.

Z30 wickedness
    Z10
    the device wasnt at fault except for its lame battery
    The buggy software was.
    lost contacts and broken sensors so that i accidentally hung up on calls while talking were the final straw
    04-27-16 02:29 AM

Z30 wickedness
    I'll answer this as well. I got the Z10 on its T-Mobile launch day. I use many apps to help manage my day, so I immediately got to sideloading. I couldn't get a lot of my usual ones to work so I had to spend a lot of time trying to find suitable replacements. This didn't always work. Some came close but didn't have certain features that I needed. Some I just couldn't get to work at all. For example I had to try a LOT of fitness trackers, and I couldn't find one that didn't crash while tracking my hikes. When I hike in unfamiliar places I NEED to have my route tracked in case I get lost and need to backtrack.

Another bone of contention I had was with BB Maps. If I didn't type in something exactly how it was listed in maps it wouldn't show up. For example I was looking for a place called Tea Drops when a friend suggested it, but I typed in "Teadrops." I live in Kansas City, and it showed me some place in Canada. When I type in "Teadrops" in Google Maps it shows me the correct place across town. Same thing when I tried to get directions for the Boulevard brewery. I typed "Boulevard Brewery" and didn't get any results because it's entered in as Boulevard Brewing Company.

I only kept the Z10 for a few months, so these issues could have been resolved since then. I just couldn't wait around for BB to get it together. I did really enjoy the OS part of it, though.
    Last edited by pantlesspenguin; 04-28-16 at 08:37 AM.
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    04-27-16 07:52 PM
    Enjoy your Android phones guys ... now you can download a zillion useless apps and games on your identical candybar slabs!
    Thankfully BlackBerry moved to Google Android because the applications that I need for professional use were never available for BlackBerry OS.

BlackBerry Priv with CrackBerry App for Android
    04-28-16 07:51 PM
99 ... 234