Yes indeed!

BB took a 4.6 BILLION DOLLAR big bath loss in a single event when Chen first arrived.

I'm sure Chen must shudder and roll his eyes at the love displayed here for BB10, and at the calls for it to continue, given that BB10 almost broke the company.
    Part of that loss was taken so that Chen look much better than he performed by reselling the z10's already written off.

Despite this help and the 2B dollars or so injected by Prem when Chen was installed, Chen has lost even more money, drastically reduced the number of phones sold (despite of millions of apps and android) and has reduced the revenues and BlackBerry to insignificance.
    04-14-16 03:32 AM
    Party like it's 1999, big daddy!!
    Have you just taken a dump? Sure smells like it.
    04-14-16 06:04 AM
    The "phone" has evolved into a mobile computer. And with them you need an ecosystem.

With BB that ecosystem dissolved. The fact that someone called it a trial with Android is silly. They're not doing anything with BB10 anymore so the ecosystem will die soon. Two future updates and no new devices tells me they're being phased out.

BB as a company will continue I'm confident of that but BB10 is done.
    bakron1, JeepBB, MC_A_DOT and 1 others like this.
    04-14-16 06:14 AM
    Waiting for a cheap Classic as people start dumping soon.

Posted via BlackBerry PRIV
    04-14-16 08:14 AM
    The "phone" has evolved into a mobile computer. And with them you need an ecosystem.

With BB that ecosystem dissolved. The fact that someone called it a trial with Android is silly. They're not doing anything with BB10 anymore so the ecosystem will die soon. Two future updates and no new devices tells me they're being phased out.

BB as a company will continue I'm confident of that but BB10 is done.
    This has also been a major problem for the PC industry, where once folks used a laptop and a smartphone, now with memory and functionality steadily increasing in the newer smartphones and getting cheaper, the portable PC will be the next victim to be phased out. The phablet style smartphones will be the new replacement for the laptop computer.
    04-14-16 08:22 AM
    Have you just taken a dump? Sure smells like it.
    I'm just trying to understand why you're so concerned about BB10 when all you want out of life is a flip phone.
    04-14-16 08:55 AM
    This has also been a major problem for the PC industry, where once folks used a laptop and a smartphone, now with memory and functionality steadily increasing in the newer smartphones and getting cheaper, the portable PC will be the next victim to be phased out. The phablet style smartphones will be the new replacement for the laptop computer.
    While I agree that portable computing with see a more concerted fusion with mobile architecture in the next few years, the requirements of real estate for professional content creation will prevent abandonment of notebooks or notebook-sized hybrids for the foreseeable future, at least until mobiles are able to project holography capable of manual manipulation and tactile feedback. I'm sure that sounds like the asinine 'PKB for fast/longer text entry' argument but there really is no functional replacement for that real estate need. Granted one can paint on the head of a pin but it's functionally pointless.
    bh7171 likes this.
    04-14-16 09:00 AM
    I don't believe the race is over. Mobile OS's, as most are aware, are limited in many respects. The fusion of the true power of a desktop, and or laptop (or Surface like tablet) in a mobile form is the near future. The two mentioned at the top may have already been outmanuvered by Microsoft with Win 10? Early 2017 could be telling. I'll have my popcorn out.

The newest member....Cobalt Classic
    If and only if significant progress is made toward universal apps, and this includes broad adoption by the major app providers. Until then W10M is just BB10 with a rubbish interface and a much bigger budget. The distinct lack of development toward platform agnosticism where apps is concerned shows that a sufficient percentage of the consumer population is content with the iOS/Android diarchy and you can be certain that neither Apple nor Google/Android OEMs are in any great hurry to shatter their own ecosystem lock-in.
    JeepBB likes this.
    04-14-16 09:04 AM
    If and only if significant progress is made toward universal apps, and this includes broad adoption by the major app providers. Until then W10M is just BB10 with a rubbish interface and a much bigger budget. The distinct lack of development toward platform agnosticism where apps is concerned shows that a sufficient percentage of the consumer population is content with the iOS/Android diarchy and you can be certain that neither Apple nor Google/Android OEMs are in any great hurry to shatter their own ecosystem lock-in.
    Hey!!! I like W10M!...

Doesn't stop me agreeing with you though, I can't see W10M gaining traction and the Apple/Google dominance will continue.

One day that dominance will end of course, but that day ain't close!
    04-14-16 09:20 AM
    What's more functional and productive a Surface Pro 4 or a Samsung S2. We will likely be making similar comparisons when the Surface Pro phone is released in early '17. And do you honestly think devs will and or are going to ignore a billion touch points? Despite mobile mentality Microsoft owns the business world. They are and will leverage this successfully with Win 10.

Z10 on 10.3.2
    04-14-16 09:40 AM
    Hey!!! I like W10M!...
    I don't dislike W10 in theory, insofar as it's functionality is concerned. I despise its interface (far too busy with no space balance) and the culture of its maker (specifically MSFT's long history of collusion with U.S. intelligence agencies) but in the hands of a far more principled company, with a far more apt design team, both the desktop and mobile version of the Windows 10 could be standout products. Alas, Ballmer's Reign of Terror gutted the company of most of its talent, dominant cash position, and brand.

Doesn't stop me agreeing with you though, I can't see W10M gaining traction and the Apple/Google dominance will continue.

One day that dominance will end of course, but that day ain't close!
    It's closer than you think, looking at macroeconomic factors. If you look at debt saturation and lack of paydown, the employment statistics fantasies coming from the BLS when compared to the labour participation rate, the depreciation of Western fiat currencies, and the stark contraction in discretionary spending, the current, broader ecosystem of consumer electronics brands and categories isn't long for this world. Apple will be hit first and hardest percentage-wise but Google will bleed out the fastest; in the end they're an advertising magnate hawking the wares of their corporate overlords to a populace that increasingly has no money. Online advertising is self-destructing handily and it's affecting market research (I worked in that industry for over a decade and still maintain contact with members of top-10 AMA firms) very badly.
    Last edited by JohnGrey; 04-14-16 at 10:01 AM.
    04-14-16 09:43 AM
    What's more functional and productive a Surface Pro 4 or a Samsung S2. We will likely be making similar comparisons when the Surface Pro phone is released in early '17. And do you honestly think devs will and or are going to ignore a billion touch points? Despite mobile mentality Microsoft owns the business world. They are and will leverage this successfully with Win 10.

Z10 on 10.3.2
    Just like BBRY owned the business mobile world? MSFT has no vertical service architecture outside of business professional software and that a death sentence as BBRY has learned bitterly. Just as it was in commerce during the sixties, which saw the death of boutiques, that served a particular product category and did it well, in favour of one-stop department stores, we're in a period or device/service integration. The iPhone started that shift with the integration of MP3/Phone/PDA/Pocket internet, and has continued to push that model with sufficient success that it has led the entire industry around by the nose trying to copy its successes.

Microsoft cannot compete with that in its current form; it does not have the internal philosophy or the discipline required to do it, nor the infrastructure to pull it off if it had the desire to. It's products are increasingly becoming irrelevant, especially in the business productivity space and server architecture outside the few Fortune 500 companies that can afford a MSFT-themed datacentre and the king's ransom of support that entails.
    04-14-16 09:55 AM
    Well we can chuck that up to the last big mistake they made switching to Android was not the answer. Once they release the next 2 pos phones with Android they will announce the end of the hardware. There is no way you can ever secure android. It will just never happen. And so they will lose all government contracts. Chen has failed and failed miserably. They will end hard ware and finish there transformation to a software only company and with in 5 years they will break the company up and it will be sold off for parts. A ceo that lacks true vision. Well he did confirm one thing I have my last BlackBerry phone.

#luvmybb10os
    04-14-16 10:25 AM
    Enjoy your Android phones guys ... now you can download a zillion useless apps and games on your identical candybar slabs!
    I imagine that anyone who doesn't know the usefulness of apps leads a pretty boring life.

I use the meetup app to sign up for neat events around my city that I wouldn't know of otherwise. Once I sign up it gets added to my calendar. Within the app I can converse with other people who are interested in the event, ask questions about it, and generally get to know other attendees ahead of time.

Some events are short road trips which might require a one or two night stay. I use the Trip Advisor app to book hotels. I also use this app to search for places to eat in unfamiliar territory.

I use Google Maps to navigate to the events. An overview of the map will also remind me when I have an event scheduled at a certain place. Once an event is added to my calendar the location is placed on the map.

A lot of the events I do are hiking trips in places I'm not familiar with. I fire up Map My Run as I start because it tracks my path in real time and if I (or the group) gets turned around I can find my way back by re-tracing my steps. And of course at the end of the hike it shows how many miles I went, how long it took me, how many calories I burned, the elevation I climbed, etc.

Those are just the apps I use pertaining to one hobby. I use apps that make my every-day life easy as well, like fitbit, amazon music, dunkin donuts (I get free stuff when I pay through the app, and I'm addicted to wake up wraps and iced coffee), glassdoor, cigna, state farm, local app for traffic, mlb at bat (I can keep up on Royals games play-by-play when I'm not in front of a tv), weather channel, etc.

I've been using apps since 2006 when I had a Sidekick 3 and they've been making my life easier and more convenient ever since. Without apps I'd have to buy some specialized equipment and lug a laptop everywhere (and hope there's wifi) instead of keeping one tool in my pocket.

Edited to add: I also met my girlfriend on the OK Cupid app, but I don't use that one anymore .
    04-14-16 10:53 AM
    I have my last BlackBerry phone.

#luvmybb10os
    And that's all you're really upset about, deep down, just like most on this forum. You just want more BB10 phones, even if that is what would cause Blackberry a quick death, unlike the slow death you predict. 95% of what is posted here is butthurt.

The fact, and yes FACT that BB10 almost bankrupted the company, you conveniently ignore.
    04-14-16 10:53 AM
    I imagine that anyone who doesn't know the usefulness of apps leads a pretty boring life.

I've been using apps since 2006 when I had a Sidekick 3 and they've been making my life easier and more convenient ever since. Without apps I'd have to buy some specialized equipment and lug a laptop everywhere (and hope there's wifi) instead of keeping one tool in my pocket.
    I was watching an old movie the other night, it was set just after the turn of the century (1900) and some people came into a big city... they didn't need that electricity stuff. Made me think of some BlackBerry users and their views on apps. They think they understand the world, they don't realize that the world is passing them by.
    04-14-16 11:00 AM
    I was watching an old movie the other night, it was set just after the turn of the century (1900) and some people came into a big city... they didn't need that electricity stuff. Made me think of some BlackBerry users and their views on apps. They think they understand the world, they don't realize that the world is passing them by.
    I'm still trying to figure out why my stupid phone lets me dial billions of different phone numbers! Who needs that? I don't have any reason to talk to all these billions of people!

I have about 200 people in my contacts. Someone needs to make a phone that can only call those specific 200 people.
    04-14-16 11:12 AM
    As a general reminder :

Play Nice, Be Helpful, and have Respect!

This means keep the language clean, keep your posts polite, and don’t get into arguments over dumb things. If somebody responds to a thread you posted in poor fashion, ignore it, and the moderation team will quickly clean it up (you can always message or email a moderator at any time if you observe anything that is in poor taste/against the rules). Think back to what your parentals and teachers used to lecture -

if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all.

Always remember that we are all unique and at different levels here - some of us are experienced BlackBerry users and forum junkies, while others are just starting out. If you’re on the experienced side, have patience for those just joining in on the fun and be helpful. With a little patience and a little help they won’t be newbies for long. Also remember that it is our differences that keeps this place interesting. If everyone was from the same place and at the same experience level it would be boring. This is a worldwide community united by a common interest - our love, or addiction as some would call it, for the BlackBerry!

Now, more specifically :
    [WARN]Inappropriate Language:
    Mobile Nations is a network used by people of all ages, so please keep posts, usernames, images and links family appropriate. Creative misspelling of profanity to circumvent the filters in place to block variations of profanity will not be tolerated. Moderators may delete or edit posts at their discretion, if posts are deemed inappropriate or offensive. Users will be typically be given a warning for the first violation. Continued violations will result in a ban from the forum.
    [/WARN]
    Some cleanup here and there (incl. quotes), no winner yet but my radar is blinking pretty fast.
    Stay cool do NOT enter the personal side of things or, straightforward : stay on topic.
    Thanks !

You can now proceed,
    have a great afternoon,
    SF
    mod team
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 04-14-16 at 12:04 PM.
    04-14-16 11:50 AM
    And that's all you're really upset about, deep down, just like most on this forum. You just want more BB10 phones, even if that is what would cause Blackberry a quick death, unlike the slow death you predict. 95% of what is posted here is butthurt.

The fact, and yes FACT that BB10 almost bankrupted the company, you conveniently ignore.
    BlackBerry 10 bankrupted the company or BlackBerry's management and handling of BlackBerry 10? I find BlackBerry 10 unmatched for my usage,needs and experience with other mobile OS's. (I have 4 Android tablets) Until someone or anyone creates an integrated communicative HUB their just a hodge podge of app after app for things my BlackBerry 10 does. (for MY needs)

04-14-16 12:17 PM
    The world is passing someone by because they use a BlackBerry 10 device? Are you serious? (really)

04-14-16 12:19 PM
    BlackBerry 10 bankrupted the company or BlackBerry's management and handling of BlackBerry 10? I find BlackBerry 10 unmatched for my usage,needs and experience with other mobile OS's. (I have 4 Android tablets) Until someone or anyone creates an integrated communicative HUB their just a hodge podge of app after app for things my BlackBerry 10 does. (for MY needs)
    You are not a big enough market to sustain BB10.
    JeepBB and Elephant_Canyon like this.
    04-14-16 12:41 PM
    What's hilarious is that you think a mobile PHONE is not designed primarily for those things, and you have been brainwashed by the marketing geniuses at Apple to think that a PHONE is for running a thousand stupid apps on. And you don't even realize it
    I remember when a phone looked like this:
    No more BlackBerry phones?-phone.png

It was mobile, too. You could pick it up and walk around the room with it. But the app gap was pretty bad. I had to move on.
    04-14-16 12:56 PM
    I remember when a phone looked like this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	phone.png 
Views:	555 
Size:	756.3 KB 
ID:	397117

It was mobile, too. You could pick it up and walk around the room with it. But the app gap was pretty bad. I had to move on.
    Can you believe Bakelite 1A monos can go for US$300 on eBay? That's some twenty ounces of silver.
    04-14-16 01:01 PM
    I ended up with a Nokia 925 with win 8.1 as not a fan of win 10. It does all the stuff I need, I am not a app maven. It can be a little slow at times and some of the core software presentation and logic a bit strange, but I do like the live tiles. The thing I don't like is the total lack of app permission controls built in which also led to very little app additions. Very poorly done. The number of apps across all platforms that demand excessive privileges, even for the paid versions, is becoming the norm. Hopefully at some point users get fed up with all the manipulation and start to push back. I e mail the developer(s) each time I decline to install an app I was considering becuase of excessive permission demands.
    04-14-16 01:21 PM
    Yeah, I think so too. Funny that they thought the desktop would be the first to go. I never understood that sentiment. Maybe years down the road from now but nothing beats it at home, imho.

Posted via CB10
    04-14-16 01:29 PM
99 1234