This is great news for me. I don't use the 'blackberry.net' email address (haven't since I left Rogers and I don't think Virgin offered it) so no loss there. Also, since I do switch between my BB and an Android phone (though that may happen a lot less with the Z10), it wont give me any hassle (not that I get much hassle now but apparently if I were to use my Android phone for more than a few weeks, Virgin may ask me to switch plans).

In terms of data, I have a 1GB plan which has been fine most of the time even when using an Android phone. If I was on a 500MB plan though, then yes I may not like the loss of BIS.

I guess pluses and minuses. Browsing speed should increase since it isn't going through the NOC for data compression which will make consumers happy and you wont have to worry about outages (not that they happen that often... and there could still be outages that affect any type of cell phone). Emails should be able to come through fully now (no more 'scroll to see more).

I think the only minus I can see are for those on data limited plans which I guess is unfortunate for those. Hopefully there will be options for them to upgrade to a higher bandwidth plan for not much more money.
    01-31-13 09:11 AM
    There have been articles on the BlackBerry.net email and it is correct. On the BB10 OS you will no longer have "direct" access to it. BBRY is allowing you to still access for a year, so you have one year to change everything over to your new email account before it is closed up.

With BBOS 10 not having BIS this is also true and also there is no data compression for the OS either. Yes this will mean we will have to watch our data closely so we don't rack up crazy bills. Personally I am very upset regarding this. I have ALWAYS been an advocate for the data compression and how I can use my data all the time and not ever worry about going over my limit.

On changing your plan yes you will have to change your plan if you have a data plan with your provider. I am with Bell and im about to call them and see what can be done for me when I get my Z10 on tuesday. ill let you all know what kind of information I get out of them.
    01-31-13 09:15 AM
    Is it possible they will offer these features directly rather than by carrier plans? What are they planning on using their NOCs for now if not this?
    01-31-13 09:19 AM
    I think you underestimate the value of saving $10+ per month on data charges. Guess what... I watch videos over wifi. When I switched to Android, I found I was using twice as much data... I was lucky that Telus is such a great company that appreciates customer loyalty that I got enough data with an affordable plan -- kind of the opposite of BB apparently.
    Video is already compressed and nothing BlackBerry could do would be able to compress it much more.
    01-31-13 09:24 AM
    could be wrong but thought I read where BIS was still needed in order to use BBM on BB10?
    That is why I am wondering if you will be able to access the NOC through a webservice, independent of the carrier. You sign up and pay RIM directly.
    01-31-13 09:25 AM
    What do you suppose this means? Is it for a regular customer or for carriers to access? I got it from yahoo by entering some keywords. If it is for regular customers, you may be accessing the BIS in the form of a web service.

BlackBerry Internet Service - Blackberry Web Client
    The site cannot be accessed in this manner. Please use the URL or link provided to you by your service provider.
    bis.na.blackberry.com/html - Cached
    01-31-13 09:31 AM
    I just called Bell to see if i could get some info out of them and this is what i got. my main concern was regarding my plan because it is a BlackBerry data plan(BIS). If they kill the BIS then i would have to change my plan. When i talked to them regarding this they said that i would NOT have to change my plan and that it will work with the BlackBerry Z10. To me this sounds like BIS will still be up and running but at the same time i didnt get a good feeling from her that she knew what the BIS actually is. I guess we still have to wait for BBRY to make some sort of announcement on the matter.
    01-31-13 09:48 AM
    I just called Bell to see if i could get some info out of them and this is what i got. my main concern was regarding my plan because it is a BlackBerry data plan(BIS). If they kill the BIS then i would have to change my plan. When i talked to them regarding this they said that i would NOT have to change my plan and that it will work with the BlackBerry Z10. To me this sounds like BIS will still be up and running but at the same time i didnt get a good feeling from her that she knew what the BIS actually is. I guess we still have to wait for BBRY to make some sort of announcement on the matter.
    From my understanding when reading through all the print when ordering my Z10, as long as your plan has a data bucket (ie. 2gb, 5gb etc) it shouldn't affect you. We don't pay any more for a BlackBerry plan than other smartphone users do for their data, it's just provisioned for BIS, that's all.

Users who are on social plans (like BBM, Facebook, Twitter only) will be required to change to a plan with a data bucket.
    MobileMadness002 likes this.
    01-31-13 10:07 AM
    I found this on the blackberryempire.com website posted 1/28/2013...if this is true, one of the most important features (at least to me) was the hosted email account, instant push notification and data compression.

RIM Publishes Details On BlackBerry Internet Service (BIS) 4.3 SP1

With the new line of BlackBerry 10 devices coming out in 2 days and more later throughout the year, RIM has published details on BIS 4.3 SP1. 2 key issues that RIM points out are dealing with unlocking, which has just become illegal in the United States. As far as SIM Cards on different carriers go here is what RIM had to say:

When a user changes SIM cards and the new SIM card is provided by a different mobile service
    provider than the original SIM card, the user might not be able to use the email setup application to
    lo gin to the BlackBerry Internet Service Email account.

BlackBerry email address forwarding:
    � Research In Motion is transitioning away from providing hosted email services because there are many free email
    services available to BlackBerry Internet Service subscribers. The forwarding solution available on BlackBerry 10
    devices will provide automatic forwarding of email messages from the BlackBerry email address to another email
    address for 1 year so that subscribers can receive email messages sent to the BlackBerry email addresses on their
    BlackBerry 10 devices.
    � Subscribers can set up a BlackBerry email address fowarding rule using a webpage or directly on their BlackBerry 10
    devices. To set up forwarding information on the BlackBerry 10 device, subscribers are presented with an Email
    Forwarding screen when they try to add their BlackBerry email address in Settings > Accounts.
    � Subscribers who use their BlackBerry email address for their BlackBerry ID username will be able to sign in to their
    BlackBerry 10 device, but they may experience some limitations receiving notifications. It is recommended that users
    change the BlackBerry ID username to a different email address. Subscribers can change their BlackBerry ID
    username on their BlackBerry 10 devices by going to Settings > BlackBerry ID> Edit.
    � Subscribers who use their BlackBerry email address for their BlackBerry ID username must set up a BlackBerry email
    address forwarding rule so that they can continue to receive the following types of email messages:
    � Password reset email message required to reset the BlackBerry ID
    � Notifications from BlackBerry ID
    � Purchase receipts that utilize BlackBerry ID
    � There is no change to how the BlackBerry email address functions on smartphones running BlackBerry 7.1 or earlier.
    01-31-13 05:24 PM
    This was my concern when they announced the service fee drop. Still have a question about BBM though. If you use the same BBID on the new phones and the PlayBook how will that work for BBM. When the PlayBook get BB10 you will have 2 BBM Pins under one BBID. Still confused. Seems like it could conflict like two PlayBooks with the same BBID.
    01-31-13 06:10 PM
    I just found out about this while I was visiting the Rogers website and saw it in their FAQ's regarding BB10. And then I started migrating all of the accounts that referenced my blackberry.net address to my new one. I got a little sad when I changed my blackberry id email address to reference my hotmail account.
    02-01-13 02:46 AM
    I liked my bb email address but I'm more concerned with the data. I am often close to using my 1Gb limit now and often go over. I will certainly need a larger one once I get my new Z10.
    02-01-13 06:33 AM
    Ok, straight to the point, as I wasn't able to give a simple answer. Here you go ... stay calm.
    Attached Thumbnails No more BIS - Blackberry.net email addresses to longer be supported-capture.png  
    02-01-13 02:08 PM
    ... With BBOS 10 not having BIS this is also true and also there is no data compression for the OS either. Yes this will mean we will have to watch our data closely so we don't rack up crazy bills. Personally I am very upset regarding this. I have ALWAYS been an advocate for the data compression and how I can use my data all the time and not ever worry about going over my limit. ...
    Isn't it wonderful that they strung us along for a year-and-a-half waiting for a new Z10, and then not actually let us know that the iconic feature of BB won't be available for it?!
    Shane8750, kevinnugent and jelp2 like this.
    02-01-13 02:25 PM
    no BIS, but i'm pretty sure you still need a blackberry data plan thats provisioned by the carrier... in order for BBM to work...
    02-01-13 03:41 PM
    That would be the top of the mountain if we need to pay for BBM.
    02-01-13 03:51 PM
    well easy to test.... somebody put in a sim that does not have any blackberry data plans... into a z10 device... and see...

That would be the top of the mountain if we need to pay for BBM.
    02-01-13 03:52 PM
    well easy to test.... somebody put in a sim that does not have any blackberry data plans... into a z10 device... and see...
    many people have, it works with no BB plan
    02-01-13 06:53 PM
    I think I get the jist of it but I really need to know how much data I need now before I sign my three year contract on Tuesday. I can always add more but I refuse to pay overages my first month. And they told me the additional data special they offered me is only valid for a few weeks to decide if I want it for that price. Essentially I believe streaming and downloading of files is unchanged as that wasn't compressed on BIS to begin with. I believe the increased data is from emails, browsing. Not 100% sure and the rogers girls at the India call Centre are really beating around the bush as I don't think it's all been explained to them yet either.
    02-01-13 08:54 PM
    So what about Verizon any word on the change?
    02-07-13 02:49 PM
    I have BB9700 , i don't think it will effect me when BIS isn't available anymore, i have 6GB.
    I used to use max. 250mb / month,i used to screen all the emails,but when i get the Z10 i might hit 500mb.
    02-07-13 03:03 PM
    I have a social data plan so I take it if it gets cut off it will impact my cheaper data plan. Kinda sad I liked the idea of social data plans
    02-07-13 03:19 PM
    I think I get the jist of it but I really need to know how much data I need now before I sign my three year contract on Tuesday. I can always add more but I refuse to pay overages my first month. And they told me the additional data special they offered me is only valid for a few weeks to decide if I want it for that price. Essentially I believe streaming and downloading of files is unchanged as that wasn't compressed on BIS to begin with. I believe the increased data is from emails, browsing. Not 100% sure and the rogers girls at the India call Centre are really beating around the bush as I don't think it's all been explained to them yet either.
    Ok, so pay for a large bucket of data, review your usage and then downgrade your data plan if the figures support it.
    02-07-13 03:22 PM
    Ok, so pay for a large bucket of data, review your usage and then downgrade your data plan if the figures support it.
    I ended up getting 3gb
    02-07-13 03:36 PM
    I have a social data plan so I take it if it gets cut off it will impact my cheaper data plan. Kinda sad I liked the idea of social data plans
    If you are getting BB10 you can not have a social plan anymore
    02-07-13 03:37 PM
117 ... 2345