Well I just called Rogers and had a long chat

Told by two separate people:

1. blackberry.net email addresses will no longer be supported on bb10. they will forward them to another account for one year then stop

2. no social networking plans available anymore, you have to have a regular/full data plan - no more tiered plans available for blackberry

3. The data plans will be regular data plans not BIS

4. The same data compression will not be there anymore
    01-30-13 05:21 PM
    Can anyone else back this up?

I always here mixed things from reps on almost everything.
    01-30-13 05:40 PM
    most of this makes sense but i cant confirm all of it.

The data compression thing is true and a known change though
    01-30-13 05:44 PM
    The part that I can't grasp is if the blackberry.net is going away, and they'll forward to a new email, what about those pre-BB10 phones people keep for a year past now?

Or does it mean once you buy your BB10, you have a year to get things in order with your now non-existent blackberry.net email?
    01-30-13 05:53 PM
    The part that I can't grasp is if the blackberry.net is going away, and they'll forward to a new email, what about those pre-BB10 phones people keep for a year past now?

Or does it mean once you buy your BB10, you have a year to get things in order with your now non-existent blackberry.net email?
    they said bb7 and older WILL keep the email!!!!!!!!!!!!
    01-30-13 05:57 PM
    It's on Fido.ca too.
    01-30-13 05:58 PM
    It's on Fido.ca too.
    same for all i imagine:

Will my fido.blackberry.net email address work on the new BlackBerry 10 devices?
    No, RIM will not be supporting the fido.blackerry.net email address on BlackBerry 10. To help you transition, RIM will allow you to forward your fido.blackberry.net e-mails to another e-mail address for one year. Visit fido.blackberry.com/html/hosted to forward your fido.blackberry.net e-mail address.

What if I use my fido.blackberry.net e-mail address as my BlackBerry ID, how do I change my BlackBerry ID?
    1. Visit BlackBerry ID. Sign in using your BlackBerry ID (e-mail address) and password.
    2. Click on Account details
    3. Next to details, click edit change your username to a new e-mail address and save.
    01-30-13 06:00 PM
    they said bb7 and older WILL keep the email!!!!!!!!!!!!

So it sounds like BIS goes away per individual, as they migrate to BB10. Makes sense
    01-30-13 06:01 PM
    So it sounds like BIS goes away per individual, as they migrate to BB10. Makes sense
    thats what I am understanding from the conversation
    01-30-13 06:03 PM
    And that's why Heins said the service fees won't disappear straight away.... there will still be millions of BB7 devices throughout the world.
    01-30-13 06:05 PM

Well, time to move along with the times. I can deal with that.

They give me a year to figure out what to do with my BB.net email, I'm good with that.

Currently doing so with my corporate email..... company split and all
    i'm kinda sad... my unlimited US/Canada data plan won't work then
    i'm kinda sad... my unlimited US/Canada data plan won't work then
    maybe its not....but how does this information confirm that??

it would be unlimited regular data instead of unlimited BIS? No? I dont know just thinking
    01-30-13 06:07 PM
    RIM BlackBerry chipping away all the things that made it successful to begin with. I liked the data compression and encryption, now everything will be sent in the clear. Great.
    flyingsolid and SK122387 like this.
    01-30-13 06:55 PM
    RIM BlackBerry chipping away all the things that made it successful to begin with. I liked the data compression and encryption, now everything will be sent in the clear. Great.
    I agree, to a point, as I liked the BIS compression as well. But.... there have been sooooo many people on here that have bitched about BIS and wished they didn't have to have it. Now, it's a level playing field.
    01-30-13 08:11 PM
    Without BIS its not a BlackBerry. I never used the BB-eMail Address, but i need Data Compression, their real Push Service....security?
    I really like new things, but i hate it, if they take things from me, that i love.

I have ever thought it was a Joke. So the BB10 Phones are usable without BIS like a normal Smartphone, but for BIS subscriber its the real BB with all the Stuff a BB before BB10 offers.

Now i am really sad

Maybe now i switch to a PrePaid Plan and save 30Euros/Month.
    01-30-13 08:23 PM
    When I ordered mine from Telus this morning, there was a warning that social only plans won't work, only plans with a data bucket would.
    01-30-13 08:27 PM
    When I ordered mine from Telus this morning, there was a warning that social only plans won't work, only plans with a data bucket would.
    I wonder how popular those plans were. I'm sure they were a hit with parents paying for their kid's phones.
    01-30-13 08:52 PM
    What I really don't understand is why RIM don't make BIS optional add on to a regular data smartphone plan. They could keep a lot of e-mail junkies happy with their push mails and make some money doing so. I would pay 5-10 $ extra.
    01-30-13 08:58 PM
    thats what i was saying above:

"no social networking plans available anymore, you have to have a regular/full data plan - no more tiered plans available for blackberry"

you cant get just bbm and twiiter, fb plans anymore. Its only general data plans available - like other phones
    01-30-13 08:59 PM
    What I really don't understand is why RIM don't make BIS optional add on to a regular data smartphone plan. They could keep a lot of e-mail junkies happy with their push mails and make some money doing so. I would pay 5-10 $ extra.
    I'm with you on that one. With the sheer volume of emails i get, I like the data compression. The push email's though, will be handled by Active Sync, as the PlayBook is so it won't be an issue there.
    milo53 likes this.
    01-30-13 09:05 PM
    Suddenly the old Blackberry way of doing things doesn't look so bad... irony?
    01-30-13 09:06 PM
    we will have to see.

The launch does not show us real word blackberry use without BIS. maybe its not bad

I do like BIS tho
    mgamiet likes this.
    01-30-13 09:09 PM
    Another thing I liked about BIS pushing POP 3 emails to my phone is that the attachments weren't pushed out unless I requested them, saving lots of data.
    anon(5624621) and mgamiet like this.
    01-30-13 09:13 PM
    I love the way my BlackBerry works the way I want it to. I never really complained about my 9800. It is excellent as a communications platform.
    DPSydBerry likes this.
    01-30-13 09:16 PM
117 123 ...