Single device for me. I've been that way since the PDA days LOL.

I do test devices for a living, so I sometimes carry two to test the one out in the field, but I'm a big believer in convergence.

The less devices, the better for me.
    02-18-16 11:51 PM
    I think I'm going to start a new trend and carry 3 phones. All in holsters.
    No matter what, people carry multiple devices...-cell_phone_belt.jpg I thought I saw you the other day....
    02-19-16 01:10 AM
    The fickle nature, of American consumers at least, is that they like one device for one thing. No matter what, they'll spend the money to buy the thing that does the thing, no matter how advanced it is.

Is the one device idea a myth?
    tHIS IS JUST ANOTHER EXAMPLE OF PEOPLE ASKING THE WRONG QUESTIONS!

Of course it's a myth. And I'm the freaking Easter bunny..
    And American consumers weren't always fickle. before that they were pretty much dumb,stupid morons.( and not necessarily in that order)
    It's my opinion that (generally speaking) People just believe what they read in the papers and hear on the news.By nature.you humans are followers and just except what is happening around your little bubble..
    I mean it's so much easier than doing the research yourselves. How many times have you heard someone say" Well, That's what I was brought up to believe?"
    It seems no one got the memo explaining that the corporations own the media and our good friends the Rothschilds, the Rockefellers, the Carnegies and the Koch Brothers control what the media is allowed to report to the American People .

At this point, the digital mobile device, while it IS a nice convenience, Is still in the toy stage, and really isn't that important in the grand scheme of things.
    Android and Apple market their devices to attract a younger crowd and emphasize how easy it is to let you're friends know everything about you.
    If you';re the kind of person who belongs to a social babysitters club who feels the need to share your photos, music and videos with the world and want everyone to know
    WHERE you are at any given time.
    WHAT you're listening to
    WHO you're with
    WHEN you get to where you're going and
    WHY you went there in the first place .....What are you doing with a Blackberry to begin with, except for the status symbol???
    Try to except the fact that NO ONE CARES HOW MANY PHONES YOU HAVE any more then they care about what label underwear you prefer.

And regarding "NO MATTER WHAT"... whoever gave you that information, lied to you!.

EVERY TIME YOU'RE EXPOSED TO ADVERTISING IN AMERICA,
    YOU'RE REMINDED THAT THIS COUNTRY'S MOST PROFITABLE BUSINESS IS STILL
    THE MANUFACTURE, PACKAGING,DISTRIBUTION AND MARKETING OF BS.
    HIGH QUALITY, GRADE-A, PRIME-CUT PURE AMERICAN BS!!

Just remember...
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things!

02-19-16 01:33 AM
    My primary device gets used heavily for a great many things, business, pleasure, reading, media consumption, but I carry a tab for additional media consumption, as well. I *could* get by with one, but choose not to.

That's not really a fair comparison though,BG. You have a lot more packing space than most.
    Not that any one would notice or anything..........

BergerKing likes this.
    02-19-16 01:56 AM
    Hard as it is for some folks to believe, SOME of us truly do have WORK to do.
    anon(3732391) likes this.
    02-19-16 05:47 AM
    Work is done on a desktop or laptop. Communication, the real kind, is done with a phone call or face to face.

Technology evolves faster than the human brain.

The perceived need for more gadgets that only do a couple things well, buts cost as much as a workhorse computer, is a direct result of marketing and the increasing neuroses plaguing most Americans, especially those under 25.

The need to carry multiple devices is completely fabricated. You're not more productive, rather more distracted. Reading? Games? Email? This device or that? How "productive" can I be on my half hour train commute?

I personally don't enjoy working on other people's schedule. If that's someone else's choice and it doesn't compromise the quality of my communication skills with them, congrats on your discipline.

Our brains are still optimized for pencil and paper, face to face and voice. Eyes, ears and hands, not screens! Dependency on devices, especially when carrying multiple devices on your person, results in a degradation of your potential brain power. Better to strip down and use the bare minimum technology to live life and work, not add more options and distractions.
    02-19-16 09:55 AM
    Work is done on a desktop or laptop. Communication, the real kind, is done with a phone call or face to face.

Technology evolves faster than the human brain.

The perceived need for more gadgets that only do a couple things well, buts cost as much as a workhorse computer, is a direct result of marketing and the increasing neuroses plaguing most Americans, especially those under 25.

The need to carry multiple devices is completely fabricated. You're not more productive, rather more distracted. Reading? Games? Email? This device or that? How "productive" can I be on my half hour train commute?

I personally don't enjoy working on other people's schedule. If that's someone else's choice and it doesn't compromise the quality of my communication skills with them, congrats on your discipline.

Our brains are still optimized for pencil and paper, face to face and voice. Eyes, ears and hands, not screens! Dependency on devices, especially when carrying multiple devices on your person, results in a degradation of your potential brain power. Better to strip down and use the bare minimum technology to live life and work, not add more options and distractions.
    So from now on, CrackBerry will be closed unless there's a moderator actually sitting at a computer.

I'll agree that "serious" work is done at a computer - but we need devices that can share the load and get it done when sitting at a desktop/laptop isn't an option at any given moment.
    TgeekB likes this.
    02-19-16 10:04 AM
    I do agree that our culture is engaged in unprecedented experimention on countless things. As with any experiment, the results are unknown until they're known. Digital overload, included. Once ALL of our "eggs" are in the single basket of monocultural uniformity, where will we find a control group for proper statistical evaluation of the data our countless experiments are providing? That's why individuality is SO valuable to humanity these days and in a not distant enough future. I'm glad "minimalists" like yourself still exist to pick up the pieces after conclusion of our grand experiment. Diversity is a wondrous thing!

Meanwhile, the sun never sets on my global client base. Clients calling from Mambai might be burning up thousands of $$ per minute of equipment down time. They really don't care if I'm on a plane, subway, taxi, in bed, etc... Like myself, they ALL have very capable competitors happily eager to pick up any slack. Like myself, they ALL have employees who depend on the jobs provided. Some of us just don't have the luxury of dictating our own schedules. Although, in all honesty, I love my job and would (and have) do it without compensation. Currently enjoying my 4th retirement, ya kno. Lol.
    02-19-16 10:44 AM
    At this point, the digital mobile device, while it IS a nice convenience, Is still in the toy stage, and really isn't that important in the grand scheme of things.
    I agree and understand what you are saying there. Creating consumerism either by hard sell or by power of suggestion has only one motto, to convert ideas into sales and profits. The race is very intense and nobody has time to stop and evaluate which black hole all this 'convenience' is heading to. Technology is suppose to liberate people and users from tedious work schedule, to find more leisure time, enhance quality of life, create spare time; but this is not happening in same exact way. Mistakenly we find more reasons to use various devices, of differing capabilities, each claiming to work better than others. Without learning to be little more easy going, we the people just became spec warriors and latest bling become the only known anthem.

When I pulled the plug on Facebook and Twitter 5 year ago it seemed rather radical to my brain but I allowed myself to recover and invest the time in things I like doing rather than reading about others. Phones also became devices to manage time as per my convenience and not something I had to hanker after being the latest and greatest. I actually gave little pep talk during workshops to all my junior staff to discourage them from buying phones beyond their earning capacities. I can say now my staff do not suffer from any latest and greatest phone buying angst.

Stop for a minute and spare a thought if you will... the big picture is somewhere else.
    02-19-16 11:28 AM
    I'm excluding the few legit power users. I'm directing commentary towards the average consumer who thinks they're a power user.
    02-19-16 11:57 AM
    Hmm, I'm still wrapping my dense mind around the concepts forwarded here. I guess my difficulty is that I've never purchased any product without first experiencing the need. Usually for several times before evaluating options and deciding a new purchase will truly satisfy the experienced need. That's why my primary device is an almost 5 year old 9900. I no longer trust that 9900 for security critical financial activities, for example, and so started carrying a Classic to fill in the gaps left by an aging 9900. The 9900 fills my needs best on some things. Classic on others. Once I no longer feel like my 9900 is efficiently optimal for the tasks I'm performing, it will be retired. Till then, I carry both. Not for "bling". Wouldn't have a clue about that. Just getting jobs done with the best tool for each job. I've NEVER done Facebook, btw. Never experienced the "need". Lol.
    02-19-16 12:11 PM
    I'm excluding the few legit power users. I'm directing commentary towards the average consumer who thinks they're a power user.
    Hmm, well, even three year olds like to pretend they're firemen. We all grow up eventually. Who was it that said "humanity will grow up or blow up ... Lesson learned either way...". ?? Wavy Gravy? Maybe Edward Abbey?? Idk. Lol.
    02-19-16 12:17 PM
    ... the big picture is somewhere else.

Ya mean, there's a picture??????
    And this "Power Trip!" Are you suggesting that we can now download a weight lifting app???? That's far out!!

Personally, I won't be impressed with technology until I can download food.( NO MATTER WHAT!!!)

(Hey guys....thanks for being such good sports and getting the comedy. It's really just a funny way of being serious!)
    02-19-16 03:04 PM
    I think I'm going to start a new trend and carry 3 phones. All in holsters.
    NERD.....

Know a guy with four phones, each is a different business that he owns. He tried doing Google Voice with one devices, but he'd get more confused about how to answer the phone.
    TgeekB likes this.
    02-19-16 03:13 PM
    NERD.....

Know a guy with four phones, each is a different business that he owns. He tried doing Google Voice with one devices, but he'd get more confused about how to answer the phone.
    I have 2 numbers on one device via GV. 4 would drive me batty LOL.
    02-19-16 08:31 PM
    Hard as it is for some folks to believe, SOME of us truly do have WORK to do.
    Thankfully I don't fit in any specific category except my own. I never did anything I didn't enjoy doing.. and it's not work if you truly enjoy it.
    I'd get up and get paid to play all day . I retired when i was 50 and at 65 I have no intention of slowing down.
    I'll rest when i die..

Hard as it is for MOST folks to except..... you don't have to "settle" for a job that doesn't fulfil you.

If you don't put limitations on yourself than there's no limit to what you may be able to succeed at. And, NO excuse can hold up to that. Because if you're making a better life for yourself, you're also doing it for your loved ones.
    It's easy to complain about your job, your boss, the money you make.... but I have never seen or heard of any of them doing whatever it takes to get out of that hole.

Quit the "SOME of us" club. It sounds very depressing. Find out what really motivates you and go out and do it. You need more education? GO GET IT.
    You're the only one that can make it happen.
    02-20-16 03:50 AM
    Thankfully I don't fit in any specific category except my own. I never did anything I didn't enjoy doing.. and it's not work if you truly enjoy it.
    I'd get up and get paid to play all day . I retired when i was 50 and at 65 I have no intention of slowing down.
    I'll rest when i die..

Hard as it is for MOST folks to except..... you don't have to "settle" for a job that doesn't fulfil you.

If you don't put limitations on yourself than there's no limit to what you may be able to succeed at. And, NO excuse can hold up to that. Because if you're making a better life for yourself, you're also doing it for your loved ones.
    It's easy to complain about your job, your boss, the money you make.... but I have never seen or heard of any of them doing whatever it takes to get out of that hole.

Quit the "SOME of us" club. It sounds very depressing. Find out what really motivates you and go out and do it. You need more education? GO GET IT.
    You're the only one that can make it happen.
    Yep, couldn't agree more. Forth retirement myself. Still consult 60+hrs per week for those four startups, all wildly successful. All employing great people providing great services to great Clients. Just get too board after about a week of "relative inactivity". Lol. Love my work because I am doing what I love. I would (and frequently do) do it without compensation. Education, for me, never ends. No two days are the same. Never regretted anything I ever learned.

My "SOME of us" comment was meant to clarify that EVERYone using multiple devices isn't necessarily just "playing" with those multiple devices. "Work", for me, is not a four letter explicative. "Try" and "excuses" are. Courtesy USMC. Lol.
    02-20-16 01:11 PM
    Yep, couldn't agree more. Forth retirement myself. Still consult 60+hrs per week for those four startups, all wildly successful. All employing great people providing great services to great Clients. Just get too board after about a week of "relative inactivity". Lol. Love my work because I am doing what I love. I would (and frequently do) do it without compensation. Education, for me, never ends. No two days are the same. Never regretted anything I ever learned.

My "SOME of us" comment was meant to clarify that EVERYone using multiple devices isn't necessarily just "playing" with those multiple devices. "Work", for me, is not a four letter explicative. "Try" and "excuses" are. Courtesy USMC. Lol.

Nice reply! You and I are probably the only two unemployed people on this entire website.!!
    I mean, so far ,no one has attacked us.

That's VERY unusual! but then, it is the weekend.
    We can only hope things pick up on Monday with at least a few insults!!!
    02-20-16 04:32 PM
    Nice reply! You and I are probably the only two unemployed people on this entire website.!!
    I mean, so far ,no one has attacked us.

That's VERY unusual! but then, it is the weekend.
    We can only hope things pick up on Monday with at least a few insults!!!
    Never really thought of it as "unemployed" but now that you mention... Lol. Full time hobbies can provide satisfying occupation.
    02-20-16 10:31 PM
    Never really thought of it as "unemployed" but now that you mention... Lol. Full time hobbies can provide satisfying occupation.
    I've learned that if I over explain something or use words that are less commonly heard around here,.. then there;'s always a certain amount of confusion That's added to the mix.
    And then you have to take into consideration that the meaning of words change about every other generation.
    I'm not even sure if we have a word to describe "retirement" anymore but everyone knows what unemployment means. Even it they only get the part that says:
    " Someday you will no longer have a job"...
    They at least get the gist of it.
    Com e to think of it neither of us are unemployed. We're just BETWEEN projects..

We've screwed up the English Language so badly that "Slang" is now excepted as a second language.
    Our education system is so messed up. YOu now have to take a test to get into a good Nursery School and all you need to attend college is your own pencil.

They should find a way to erase the English language for our consciousness all together and have us go back to grunting.
    because, at this point...the less said the better!!
    02-21-16 01:18 AM
    Hmm, language barriers might explain my difficulty in fully wrapping my mind around this thread. Apologies to OP for taking so long to "get it".

Compensation provided by my various "hobbies" far exceeds the threshold to permit receiving Social Security, for example. The wife and I have negotiated a definition of "retirement", this time, that inhibits "most" international travel. Lol. The only way I can continue my "work" (aka "hobbies") and still live a life to include wife, kids, grandkids, etc is thru optimal leveraging of various mobile device capabilities. My devices are strictly tools to get a bigger picture job done. Without the job, I'd have zero need of the devices.

My interpretation of what OP was pointing out is that there are consumers purchasing devices just for the sake of purchasing the devices. No specific mission for the devices other than "bragging rights" to show off to their school friends? Or some other "misguided" motive ??? ???

I recall mowing yards & collecting pop bottle deposits to purchase my first slide rule. Couldn't wait to show it off to 8th grade classmates during the next slide rule competition in Science class. Same thing after purchasing my first calculator for 12th grade Physics. (an HP rpn that was our first calculator to win slide rule competition!! Lol). I guess I see that "showing off" thing as a natural part of childhood. Maybe OP is pointing out that too few children are growing up?? Looking around, I'd have to concur with that concern. Lol.
    02-21-16 07:10 AM
    Isn't this about carrying multiple devices?
    02-21-16 08:19 AM
    My Q10 is my personal device.

Retire my passport with my work line on Friday evening, and fire up my Q10.

It's perfect size doesn't bother me, perfect for messaging friends, and setup it's bbm account identical to my work phone, HOT clients can catch me there for emergencies, and my email accounts follow me where I go, readonly reply if uber important.

If BlackBerry gives us a 2 line classic or passport, won't need an extra device.

Posted via CB10
    02-21-16 08:31 AM
    Hi! My name is SeeBeeEss and I'm a device-aholic.

No matter what, people carry multiple devices...-cellphones-300x225.jpg
    02-21-16 09:08 AM
    Hmm, language barriers might explain my difficulty in fully wrapping my mind around this thread. Apologies to OP for taking so long to "get it".

Compensation provided by my various "hobbies" far exceeds the threshold to permit receiving Social Security, for example. The wife and I have negotiated a definition of "retirement", this time, that inhibits "most" international travel. Lol. The only way I can continue my "work" (aka "hobbies") and still live a life to include wife, kids, grandkids, etc is thru optimal leveraging of various mobile device capabilities. My devices are strictly tools to get a bigger picture job done. Without the job, I'd have zero need of the devices.

My interpretation of what OP was pointing out is that there are consumers purchasing devices just for the sake of purchasing the devices. No specific mission for the devices other than "bragging rights" to show off to their school friends? Or some other "misguided" motive ??? ???

I recall mowing yards & collecting pop bottle deposits to purchase my first slide rule. Couldn't wait to show it off to 8th grade classmates during the next slide rule competition in Science class. Same thing after purchasing my first calculator for 12th grade Physics. (an HP rpn that was our first calculator to win slide rule competition!! Lol). I guess I see that "showing off" thing as a natural part of childhood. Maybe OP is pointing out that too few children are growing up?? Looking around, I'd have to concur with that concern. Lol.

The demand of an overpopulated, underpaid world makes it far more difficult and harder to delay the inevitable: to ignore the future and linger at the upper limits of childhood.Meanwhile, now that children are acting like teanagers, now that teenagers are so frequently forced to take on the roles of adults and now that our leaders and public figures so often behave like children, it's become trickier to figure out what it means to grow up in a culture so hopelessly dazed and confused about the line that it's young must cross to become Men and Women.

And it just may be too late, already.,
    We're talking about Overpopulation......World Hunger. and a cure for Cancer.
    And in the spirit of finding a cure, a group of scientists got together and invented VIAGRA and considered that an accompaniment.

But, I'm responsible for derailing this thread to inform the OP that he had been misinformed as to his "NO MATTER WHAT" quote.
    WHo knew it would go this far off track.

No matter what, people carry multiple devices...-image-1873483454.png
    02-21-16 08:39 PM
80 1234