The fickle nature, of American consumers at least, is that they like one device for one thing. No matter what, they'll spend the money to buy the thing that does the thing, no matter how advanced it is.

Is the one device idea a myth?
    anon(3732391) likes this.
    02-17-16 07:21 AM
    Often you need a backup, especially if it is affordable.
    Thud Hardsmack likes this.
    02-17-16 07:24 AM
    I think most people carry one device.
    02-17-16 07:35 AM
    So true, some of my coworkers carry two iPhones. One is the company issued iphone and the other is there personal one. While others carry their work iphone and carry their personal android phone as well.
    02-17-16 07:38 AM
    I think most people carry one device.
    Agree
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    02-17-16 07:44 AM
    I carry 2 devices. I always have. I started with a cell phone and pager. Progressed to 2 cell phones. Then for a little while went cell phone and tablet, now back to dos cell phones. I simply like options as well as separation. One phone I use solely for LIFE stuff - friends, family, etc...- the other I use for all else - work, vacation stuff, etc... 90% of the time I carry both. Currently I have a BlackBerry Classic as my daily driver and was alternating between a Nexus and 2 Sammy's on line 2, but today I have a Priv arriving so I will so putting that to use on line 2 to see how it goes. Just my personal preference. Some people see it as frivolous and redundant, whereas I see it as purposeful and organized. To each their own.

Posted via CB10
    02-17-16 10:59 AM
    Backup phones are not carried. I'm talking people carrying around, EDC, several devices. Great for sales, but stop marketing devices as being all in one.

Consumers will carry every single device, and all chargers of those devices. Personally, I'm minimal.
    02-17-16 12:52 PM
    I rotate between a Passport and Classic. The Q10 is wifi only for podcasts while running and typing thoughts in Evernote. But I only have one device on me and postpone my work until I can sit in front of a desktop or laptop.
    02-17-16 12:54 PM
    I was going to blast this a bit - I have never carried more than one phone.

Then, I got realizing that when I had a Playbook I went out and got an iPad - mostly for the larger screen, because I like to view my photos larger.
    Plus which, I have a laptop.

So, I guess I'm as guilty of the "multiple device" thing as what anyone else is! When I go to church I have my Playbook for recording the service and my iPad for taking notes and Bible lookups.
    02-17-16 01:14 PM
    I agree, if we're talking about having a business and a personal device here.

I also prefer to have one device solely for personal use and one for business use. It's better than having everything mixed up in one device and you can decide with which device to work depending on what you're doing.

Yet, not everybody is entitled or required to carry a company issued phone and unfortunately, BlackBerry is losing even those who do.

Posted via CB10
    02-17-16 01:38 PM
    I own many but only use one at a time.
    02-17-16 01:39 PM
    I very much doubt that carrying two phones is as common as it once was.

I haven't carried two phones in over five years now.

I'm sure the classic "BB for work, iPhone for play" scenario has been replaced with a single BYOD iPhone (and I'm sure it mostly is an iPhone) for work and play (with the work side remotely erasable from corporate HQ) in the great majority of cases.
    02-17-16 02:19 PM
    I own many but only use one at a time.
    Same here. I have backup BB10 phones, and Leap on the way. We have an Android tablet too. But for on the go, just my trusty Classic.

Posted via Classic
    acovey likes this.
    02-17-16 03:07 PM
    I carry and use two routinely. Sometimes simultaneously, one in each hand. 9900 in left, Classic in right. Coworkers & family to 9900. Clients to Classic. A VERY powerful combo for coordinating noisy plant startups, for example. Requires two single handed friendly handsets, tho.

Otherwise, I'll substitute my PP or Z30 in place of the Classic depending on expected needs for the day. 9900 never leaves my person.

Extra device is quickest way to resume a broken call. Also wonderful to look up Calendar, spreadsheets, google things, etc on one handset while speaking on the other & avoids risks of leaving phone app mid call.

Dual carry will be a useful option until someone figures out how to fit a 6" screen into a 3" device. IMO. Lol.
    CivilDissident and acovey like this.
    02-17-16 04:19 PM
    Clearly you're an exception. Congrats on being a power user. I was referring to the average person that utilizes 10% of the full power of their devices. Hence the term one device for one thing.
    02-17-16 04:30 PM
    Carried two phones for years. Past 5 years I have used only one. I use my carrier issued number for business use and a Google voice number for personal.

I hate transporting redundant items.

!
    02-17-16 04:45 PM
    I don't want to carry more than one device.
    This is why I want a smartphone nearly the size of a play-book.

As for carrying multiple chargers, forget that.
    When I travel I take one charger with me.

I have one charger that draws power from the cigarette lighter in my car and I use it ~twice a year.

None of my friends, family or colleagues carry more than one device.

Seems OP and I live in different worlds.
    JeepBB likes this.
    02-17-16 04:50 PM
    Clearly you're an exception. Congrats on being a power user. I was referring to the average person that utilizes 10% of the full power of their devices. Hence the term one device for one thing.
    My apologies for miscomprehension. I interpreted "one device for one thing" as using one device for one activity while using another device for another activity. My bad.
    02-17-16 05:10 PM
    Carried two phones for years. Past 5 years I have used only one. I use my carrier issued number for business use and a Google voice number for personal.

I hate transporting redundant items.

!
    Not a fan of Google Voice... I prefer 2 completely separate devices. My Classic (the daily driver) is what I use for family and friends. No apps, no clutter. Simply call/texts/light media/browsing.
    Device two (the Priv) is what I use for work as well as for planning vacations and such. Spammy type things.
    Line 2 is loaded with apps of varying purposes. Media galore. The unnecessary stuff that is more leisure than anything. Carrying dual devices is nothing for me. Being a woman I have tons of holding space and usually Line 2 is a stowe away while line one remains on my person always.
    I don't find it redundant, it's nice to completely toss work and the other nonsense to the side when the time is right not have to worry about wading through or selectively picking and choosing what I look at when I want to just shut the non-important things in life down. Cuts back on stress dramatically and allows one to truly prioritize... Or at least that's how I personally view things. Actually and physically 100% separate. No better substitute than that in my opinion. Again always comes back to personal preference though...
    Life is like the typical cell phone, full of bloatware and spammy stuff... Two devices help one greatly trim the fat and cut the clutter which DOES come in handy more often than not. Simplicity is a forgotten gem these days.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    02-17-16 05:23 PM
    Simplicity to me is carrying one phone.
    02-17-16 06:02 PM
    I think "devices" could mean a number of things. I own a Passport, Classic and Z30, but have only one line. So I don't carry these all around with me, I put my sim card in whichever I use.

But I also have an iPod touch and iPad Pro (with cellular), which I bring many places, but for things like going out with friends, I only bring my BlackBerry. Hanging out at friends' houses, I might bring the Apple devices or just my BlackBerry and iPad.

The BlackBerry is the only constant, the iPod and iPad aren't always with me, but different devices do different things.

Posted via CB10
    02-17-16 06:13 PM
    Simplicity to me is carrying one phone.
    Touch�... However if your device is as loaded with junk as the average user your one device is equally as redundant as my two when it comes to the simplicity I am referencing...

Posted via CB10
    02-17-16 06:15 PM
    I would only carry two devices if I was forced to because of work and I would hate it.
    JeepBB likes this.
    02-17-16 06:17 PM
    Touch�... However if your device is as loaded with junk as the average user your one device is equally as redundant as my two when it comes to the simplicity I am referencing...

Posted via CB10
    I'm probably not the average user. Only the things I need, nothing more.
    CivilDissident likes this.
    02-17-16 06:17 PM
    Not a fan of Google Voice... I prefer 2 completely separate devices. My Classic (the daily driver) is what I use for family and friends. No apps, no clutter. Simply call/texts/light media/browsing.
    Device two (the Priv) is what I use for work as well as for planning vacations and such. Spammy type things.
    Line 2 is loaded with apps of varying purposes. Media galore. The unnecessary stuff that is more leisure than anything. Carrying dual devices is nothing for me. Being a woman I have tons of holding space and usually Line 2 is a stowe away while line one remains on my person always.
    I don't find it redundant, it's nice to completely toss work and the other nonsense to the side when the time is right not have to worry about wading through or selectively picking and choosing what I look at when I want to just shut the non-important things in life down. Cuts back on stress dramatically and allows one to truly prioritize... Or at least that's how I personally view things. Actually and physically 100% separate. No better substitute than that in my opinion. Again always comes back to personal preference though...
    Life is like the typical cell phone, full of bloatware and spammy stuff... Two devices help one greatly trim the fat and cut the clutter which DOES come in handy more often than not. Simplicity is a forgotten gem these days.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    I don't carry a purse or any other bags. If I did I might tend to agree with your solution. I hate pockets bulging with stuff and refuse to go back to the belt holster days.

Male btw

!
    02-17-16 06:22 PM
80 123 ...