In the past, lots of people have sounded the death-knell for Blackberry but many of us still believed that whilst they were making excellent phones with a great OS, this was not the end but rather a period of regrouping whilst they got ready to get back in the game.

Whether BB10 failed because of a lack of marketing, apps or because it was just too darn difficult for newbies to get the hang of doesn't really matter; it's time has come and sadly, now gone.

Going Android was the only logic step left and the Priv seemed to make sense. It was generally well received. I don't know how good sales were and I have yet to see one in the wild but I was hoping that it would herald the start of a new line of Blackberries. Yes, maybe Android would take some getting used to after the (in many respects) superior BB10 but with a well made phone with a good keyboard, I was prepared to at least give the transition a go.

Only now I have some serious reservations. MWC is over and nothing from Blackberry except for a update on BES. No launch of new Android phones, no mention of Vienna, nothing.

I think we must all now accept that the Blackberry phone is a thing of the past. It has finally become the relic that most of the public seem to think it already is.

So, does anyone else think the party is finally over? Only the very small hardcore is left but even we must finally accept that the bar is closed, the music has stopped and the caretaker is sweeping up.

Or did they launch a bunch of excellent phones at MWC that are taking the market by storm and Crackberry just didn't get round to publishing it because all of the staff were so excited?
    anon(9169048) likes this.
    02-24-16 08:39 AM
    I think April 1st we will have a better picture of what BlackBerry themselves already knows.
    02-24-16 08:47 AM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-bb10-1063362/ let's keep discussions here....

on second thought.... moved to general discussion ....
    Last edited by zocster; 02-24-16 at 09:13 AM. Reason: thread re opened and moved
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-24-16 08:56 AM
    Since BlackBerry doesn't want to make any new all touch Android phones I'm moving on to the new Samsung s7. Very nice looking phone! I ll definitely miss the hub, peak and flow of BB10

Posted via CB10
    02-24-16 01:49 PM
    May not necessarily be the end...but maybe a break.
    gruv4u and gugomat like this.
    02-24-16 01:58 PM
    Many ends, everyday a new end, does anyone have any doubt about BlackBerry 's end?

Posted via CB10
    02-24-16 02:27 PM
    May not necessarily be the end...but maybe a break.
    I've read several posts similar to this over the last couple of months, and I really don't understand how people can believe that such a thing is even possible.

Consumer technology is a fast moving, constantly evolving thing... there's no "pause" button, or opportunity to take a break. It's not like sitting-out the next couple of dances while you catch your breath and have a drink, then come back refreshed. You sit out the technology game, and you're done! The "dances" change and you'll never be able to get back.

I reckon the lack of announcement of anything at MWC should tell you everything you need to know about how the Priv is selling, the prospects of seeing the Vienna, and how "soon" Marshmallow is coming. The silence is also probably indicative of BB reaching a decision on the future of Hardware (hint: it doesn't have a future).

I'll prepare myself for the "BB hasn't announced the end of anything, so nothing can be ending" responses... because that theory worked so well for BB10.
    02-24-16 03:22 PM
    Multi OS future minus one...?

(the one that matters? :-((( )

�   There's a Crack in the Berry right now...   �
    gruv4u and IndianTiwari like this.
    02-24-16 03:37 PM
    I've read several posts similar to this over the last couple of months, and I really don't understand how people can believe that such a thing is even possible.

Consumer technology is a fast moving, constantly evolving thing... there's no "pause" button, or opportunity to take a break. It's not like sitting-out the next couple of dances while you catch your breath and have a drink, then come back refreshed. You sit out the technology game, and you're done! The "dances" change and you'll never be able to get back.

I reckon the lack of announcement of anything at MWC should tell you everything you need to know about how the Priv is selling, the prospects of seeing the Vienna, and how "soon" Marshmallow is coming. The silence is also probably indicative of BB reaching a decision on the future of Hardware (hint: it doesn't have a future).

I'll prepare myself for the "BB hasn't announced the end of anything, so nothing can be ending" responses... because that theory worked so well for BB10.
    No one (well few) would buy a new BB10 phone next year, without at least an updated Runtime.... something that would be part of a MAJOR Update for BB10. Which would mean hiring more engineers and coders for BB10, which would mean sending MONEY. In the hopes that for some reason that sales would for some reason be better this time around.... with even fewer developers.

Me when I have fantasies, they involve beautiful women and lots of money..... not smartphones or mobile OS.
    02-24-16 03:50 PM
    Haha I truly don't understand how many more hints some of ya'll need. They have no reason to come out and blatantly say it but they have basically done everything besides that to let u know lol

Posted via CB10
    FF22, JeepBB, devin266 and 4 others like this.
    02-24-16 06:22 PM
    Haha I truly don't understand how many more hints some of ya'll need. They have no reason to come out and blatantly say it but they have basically done everything besides that to let u know lol
    I'm waiting for Chen to go on stage, rip off his jacket and shirt, and reveal a "BB10 is dead" tattoo across his chest.

Anything short of that, and I won't believe it.
    gebco, FF22, brian4591 and 9 others like this.
    02-24-16 06:27 PM
    No one (well few) would buy a new BB10 phone next year, without at least an updated Runtime.... something that would be part of a MAJOR Update for BB10. Which would mean hiring more engineers and coders for BB10, which would mean sending MONEY. In the hopes that for some reason that sales would for some reason be better this time around.... with even fewer developers.

Me when I have fantasies, they involve beautiful women and lots of money..... not smartphones or mobile OS.
    Yup

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    02-24-16 08:50 PM
    Apple did not release any devices at MWC either and the updated 5 SE is coming Soon. Perhaps another time (when not compared to the S7,G5, and all the other newer Android slabs) would be more beneficial?

The White Knight-BlackBerry Passport
    gugomat likes this.
    02-24-16 09:04 PM
    Blackberry is waiting for the Fiscal Year to end to make their final decision on the Hardware business. My guess is Chen is milking this out as long as he can until April 1st.
    gugomat likes this.
    02-24-16 09:19 PM
    I doubt you'll see any explicit announcement. They have to keep maintaining the security patches on the Priv, otherwise it will reflect very badly on the reputation of their security services and newly minted consulting business.

So basically, they have to keep staff to maintain the Priv, which means they will insist that they have a 'hardware' business.

Posted via CB10
    02-24-16 09:28 PM
    I doubt you'll see any explicit announcement. They have to keep maintaining the security patches on the Priv, otherwise it will reflect very badly on the reputation of their security services and newly minted consulting business.

So basically, they have to keep staff to maintain the Priv, which means they will insist that they have a 'hardware' business.

Posted via CB10
    Right now they already had a first round of layoffs. If they are to stop producing phones, there will need to be a second round of layoffs, I can guarantee you that.

There's no hiding this from the public. John Chen is making his final decision as he needs to commit or not commit on the next device.
    02-24-16 10:28 PM
    Consumer technology is a fast moving, constantly evolving thing
    They have "enterprise" written all over their new strategy.
    crucial bbq likes this.
    02-24-16 11:31 PM
    I'm finally nearing the acceptance stage. I accept that there will be no BB10 devices. I accept that Priv might be the last BlackBerry device. I also accept that I may need to look beyond the Priv to other Android devices.

Posted via CB10
    02-24-16 11:35 PM
    In the past, lots of people have sounded the death-knell for Blackberry but many of us still believed that whilst they were making excellent phones with a great OS, this was not the end but rather a period of regrouping whilst they got ready to get back in the game.

Whether BB10 failed because of a lack of marketing, apps or because it was just too darn difficult for newbies to get the hang of doesn't really matter; it's time has come and sadly, now gone.

Going Android was the only logic step left and the Priv seemed to make sense. It was generally well received. I don't know how good sales were and I have yet to see one in the wild but I was hoping that it would herald the start of a new line of Blackberries. Yes, maybe Android would take some getting used to after the (in many respects) superior BB10 but with a well made phone with a good keyboard, I was prepared to at least give the transition a go.

Only now I have some serious reservations. MWC is over and nothing from Blackberry except for a update on BES. No launch of new Android phones, no mention of Vienna, nothing.

I think we must all now accept that the Blackberry phone is a thing of the past. It has finally become the relic that most of the public seem to think it already is.

So, does anyone else think the party is finally over? Only the very small hardcore is left but even we must finally accept that the bar is closed, the music has stopped and the caretaker is sweeping up.

Or did they launch a bunch of excellent phones at MWC that are taking the market by storm and Crackberry just didn't get round to publishing it because all of the staff were so excited?
    The party was over years ago, The music has not only stopped but the band left. BB is the past. Their last phone was again a flop. Everything they put out hits the floor with a resounding THUD!!!!!!! Every phone since 2007 has been plagued with one issue after another.
    JeepBB, techvisor and andy957 like this.
    02-24-16 11:49 PM
    I wish the OP can be automatically linked to the post below for every thread similar to this one.

This thread is full of Divination graduates who think they know what the future is. Devoted acolytes of Sybill Trelawney. Makes me laugh. Lotta groupthink going on here.

Y'all are about as brilliant as the sports pundits with their picks (NCAA brackets, Super Bowl victors, World Series matchups, etc.) or the political pundits who think they know who's going to win the next election.

The truth is... you don't know what's going to happen.

BlackBerry shed its marketshare YEARS ago, folks. You could argue BB lost its position and any hope of remaining a major player in the devices space before even Thorsten Heins took over. BB10 should have been introduced in 2011, not 2013. The company should not have released the PlayBook. It should have developed and released BB10 then instead. It would have made a much bigger splash and done so much for customer retention. The guys who founded the company and made it something big were the same ones who were in charge when everything fell apart. To say that Chen destroyed BB's handset business is laughable -- he barely inherited anything when he showed up!

Under Chen, BlackBerry has continued to release new devices, even though plenty of tech pundits predicted it wouldn't. I remember people around here saying the Z30 would be the last device BlackBerry would ever release. Hell, tech blogs were predicting the demise of the entire company in the fall of 2013! TechCrunch used to put up a picture of the BlackBerry logo turned sideways so it looked like a tombstone in a graveyard. They thought BB was done, done, done.

But here we are, two and a half years later. BlackBerry lives. It has come out with the Leap, the Classic, the Passport, and the Priv. The Z30 is amazingly still being sold by Verizon more than two years after being introduced because there is apparently a small but durable market for it. (At one point, VZW retired the Z30. But then they brought it back, and they apparently have no looming plans to retire it.)

Will BlackBerry come out with any more devices? I dunno. Unlike a lot of you in this thread, I don't pretend to know. I don't have a crystal ball. I can guess, speculate, and predict, I suppose, if I wished. But why should I?

BlackBerry 10 has matured to the point where even if its development has slowed, and even if it doesn't get new features, only bug fixes and security patches, it will be good enough for quite some time to come. The Android runtime certainly comes in handy for anyone who needs up-to-date apps, excluding those tied to Google Play services.

Eventually, of course, if BB10 is not updated, it will become obsolete. But it's a mature, stable OS; it can last for a while, and a lot longer than some of you seem to think, so long as receives a base level of maintenance.

BlackBerry definitely has incentive to continue maintaining BB10 for its government and security-conscious corporate customers -- those customers are not fickle consumers who care about app ecosystems and having new toys to carry around every six months.

With its purchases of companies like Good and AtHoc, BlackBerry has put down roots in the EMM segment. Enterprise software solutions, not devices, are already what analysts consider to be the company's bread and butter nowadays. There are opportunities in the IoT sphere, especially considering that IoT security is sod-all, and BlackBerry's core competency is security.

There are a certain number of people who will always want an alternative to the iOS/Android duopoly, and if BlackBerry can profitably cater to that crowd by releasing a handset or two a year, whether powered by BB10 or Android, it just might do so.

But who knows what's going to happen? NONE of you do. You don't have the ability to see into the future. You can pronounce BB10 dead if you want, but some of us will go on using it and ignore your silliness. You're just tech pundits hanging out in a forum shooting the breeze. And like pundits in any other field, your predictions are bound to be wrong a significant percentage of the time.
    crucial bbq and David Tyler like this.
    02-25-16 12:01 AM
    Well kinda pisses me off, started to warm up to the BlackBerry android thing, and was looking forward to a qwerty. The lack of communication from BlackBerry about the next device or lackoff is disapointing.

I found my self contemplating the S7 with the ugly keyboard attachment.

Anyhow, still got my passport and my Q10 in fully working conditions, will wait longer to c if anything pops out.

Posted via CB10
    nmduc073 and Bbnivende like this.
    02-25-16 12:27 AM
    Apple did not release any devices at MWC either and the updated 5 SE is coming Soon. Perhaps another time (when not compared to the S7,G5, and all the other newer Android slabs) would be more beneficial?
    Ah, this would be the "bargaining" stage, would it?

Acceptance is that way ->
    Bbnivende likes this.
    02-25-16 01:10 AM
    I wish the OP can be automatically linked to the post below for every thread similar to this one.
    Forecasting and prediction is always going to be an uncertain activity. No-one can see the future, that truly is divination. However, using the wealth of available evidence, the statements made (and not made), the published financial reports, and basic good judgement... it *is* possible to predict the likely way events will unfold.

The point of evidence-based forecasting is to get ahead of the game. Waiting to read the way things turned out in the newspapers means you will never be in a position to anticipate events.

Ignoring all of that evidence is simply denial.
    02-25-16 01:30 AM
    They have "enterprise" written all over their new strategy.
    You believe the Priv and Vienna to be aimed at Enterprise, do you?

Even if that were true, Enterprise doesn't get a pass on needing to constantly move forward. If BB truly believes that it does have that "pass"' it's perhaps no surprise that Apple and Android have been steadily eating BB's enterprise lunch over the past few years.
    pjh248, techvisor and kirson like this.
    02-25-16 01:42 AM
    Is there something unclear in "1 or maybe two devices per year, for the foreseeable future" ?
    I for one is very happy they're now able to keep secrets in house and MWC has never been an announcement place for them.

FTR, as Bla1ze spotted in the blog, this is what we should (have) expect(ed) for MWC16 :

No hint of BB devices a MWC- Is this now the end of Blackberry as a phone manufacturer?-mwc-2016.png

Edit : I mean I have no clue about the future of HW division but what happens in MWC shouldn't be considered as relevant in that matter.
    02-25-16 02:41 AM
68 123