My wife and I both have Tours. When I try to use my Sprint Navigation it tells me "NO GPS, Move to another location". However, my wifes phone has a good signal (5 bars by the satelite symbol). I have checked "Options-Advanced-GPS and it's Device GPS-Location On-Enabled..I think my GPS is not working on the phone. Should I take it back to the Sprint store or is there something else I should check.
    Thanks

Paul
    08-27-09 04:46 PM
    make sure under advanced options>GPS that you have it set to device GPS and GPS services location ON. There is no such thing as GPS signal bars
    08-27-09 04:48 PM
    make sure under advanced options>GPS that you have it set to device GPS and GPS services location ON. There is no such thing as GPS signal bars
    Maybe yours is a little different than mine. When I am on the Sprint Navigation, at the top left side of the screen is a small satelite symbol which shows signal strenght in bars from the satelite, on the right side of the screen is the cell tower signal strength. I checked the GPS services as you suggested and location is ON. Thanks for your reply.
    Paul
    08-27-09 04:59 PM
    I do feel that the GPS on Tour is not as reliable as my old Curve. There are occasions where my Tour couldn't acquire signals when an iPhone next to it was able to quickly get a satellite fix.

Anyone else has experience this?

To test, I use BB Map and the hidden "test" app in Options>Status
    08-28-09 08:22 PM
    Maybe yours is a little different than mine. When I am on the Sprint Navigation, at the top left side of the screen is a small satelite symbol which shows signal strenght in bars from the satelite, on the right side of the screen is the cell tower signal strength. I checked the GPS services as you suggested and location is ON. Thanks for your reply.
    Paul
    No, what he meant was that either the GPS is on and there are 5 bars next to it or it's off and there are no bars next to it. Basically those bars don't really mean anything. If the bars are there, then the GPS is active, and if you aren't using it, you're wasting significant battery life.

Here is how you turn the GPS on (I know it's on already, but it's not actually on in a state that your phone will use it) to the point where you get the 5 bars next to it. Go to Options > Advanced Options > GPS. Then look at the following options:
    GPS Data Source: This should be on "Device GPS"
    GPS Services: Yours is probably currently on "E911 Only", but to turn the GPS on so applications can use it, change it to "Location On"
    Location Aiding: This should be on "Enabled"

Ok, so after you change your GPS Services option to "Location On", it should be working just like your wifes, but again, I warn you that while the option is set to "Location On" and those bars are next to your GPS icon on the home screen, your battery life will be dramatically effected in a negative way. After your done using the GPS turn it off, by changing it back to "E911 Only"

If changing it to Location On, doesn't fix it, try re-installing the most up-to-date OS, and if that doesn't work get the phone replaced. :-) Hope this helps man. GL.
    08-28-09 11:06 PM
    This gentleman is a Sprint customer (hence using Sprint Navigation) - the Sprint Tour does not have the "E911" option - it is set to Location ON and Location Aiding ON by default, out of the box. You couldn't switch it to "E911" even f you wanted to - you can only turn gps and aiding OFF.

My first Sprint Tour had issues w/the internal GPS chip - Sometimes I couldn't get a fix on a clear sunny day - other times I could get a fix, but while driving would keep losing it and then picking it back up in the strangest areas. It was ultimately replaced. My second and third Tour do not have this issue. When was your phone manufactured? It should be on your box where the esn, meid, etc is listed.

If the problem persists, call Sprint CS, make ONE attempt to troubleshoot with BB tech support, and if that dosent help - call Sprint CS back, hit the option for order support, advise of the issue and ask for a replacement to be sent, along with a return kit for your current phone. You'll receive a new Tour within two business days. Good luck!

GPS Services: Yours is probably currently on "E911 Only", but to turn the GPS on so applications can use it, change it to "Location On"

I warn you that while the option is set to "Location On" and those bars are next to your GPS icon on the home screen, your battery life will be dramatically effected in a negative way.
    This isin't necessarily true - the Tour has a built in sleep feature for the GPS chip - when not in use, it will sleep after X amount of time.

I've done very thorough battery testing with this device - with GPS ON for a full battery cycle, I only lost about 15 minutes of battery life compared to GPS OFF during a full battery cycle.

My Third Sprint Tour had a new battery sent long with it...the covering of the battery was a sort of rubberized texture that felt grainy against the skin...not the usual smooth plastic covering. I have noticed much longer battery life with this particular battery than the first two.
    Last edited by mconk; 08-29-09 at 12:37 AM.
    08-29-09 12:32 AM
    Also, the OP is referring to the bars in the Sprint Navigation app. Not the BB home screen...On the top left of the Sprint Nav home screen, there are five GPS signal strength bars - on the home screen of the blackberry, on the top right you'll see the GPS indicator. If on, it will have three bars to the right of the icon. Just to clear that up for you...

No, what he meant was that either the GPS is on and there are 5 bars next to it or it's off and there are no bars next to it. Basically those bars don't really mean anything. If the bars are there, then the GPS is active, and if you aren't using it, you're wasting significant battery life.
    08-29-09 12:40 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD