Hello all, I've got an 8330 and so far I like it but I have a question. When I first bought it I had the navigation turned on so I could find things in the area that I might in. But I found that I wasn't using it enough so I had them turn it off. I would like to be able to use the GPS feature but can't seem to get it to work. I was traveling the last few days and when moving from one time zone to another the clock didn't change over. I had to go into time/date and set it manually. Is there a way to turn on the GPS? Am I doing something wrong? I also downloaded a little program called GPSlogger and would like to be able to use it but so far it won't work. Can any of you out there help me? Thanks,

Ray
    01-19-10 08:36 PM
    On the Verizon 8330, the GPS will only work with VZNavigator and BlackBerry Maps.
    01-19-10 08:38 PM
    Why is that? I don't understand this. Is there no way to activate the gps to use it for other things? I see that it works fine in BB maps so why can't it be used for other things? Is this a Verizon policy or is it a BB policy? Did I buy the wrong phone? I would like to be able to use the GPSlogger and do some geocaching. What do you suggest? Thanks,

Ray
    01-19-10 08:58 PM
    Why is that? I don't understand this. Is there no way to activate the gps to use it for other things? I see that it works fine in BB maps so why can't it be used for other things? Is this a Verizon policy or is it a BB policy? Did I buy the wrong phone? I would like to be able to use the GPSlogger and do some geocaching. What do you suggest? Thanks,

Ray
    No there is no way to use GPS for anything other than what Mama said. The 8330 has GPS locked and restricted to just these 2 due to the GPS hardware in the device. The 9530 was the first BB on VZW that had full working GPS, and all new devices come with full GPS capabilities as well.

Sorry buddy if you want full working GPS you need a Tour or Tour 2 which will be out in a few months
    01-19-10 09:04 PM
    The foregoing information re the GPS is correct, so I'll address your second question. BlackBerry devices before OS 5.0 don't update the time zone automatically. You have to do that manually. For a full explanation, with examples, see the "Time Zone Issues" thread in my signature.
    01-19-10 09:11 PM
    Well, I guess I have to say thanks but I sure am "bummed". When I bought my BB I thought I was getting the "cat's ***" in phones but now I find that I got somewhat "screwed". Oh well, only one more year and I can dump it. I hope they have something better by that time.

Ray
    01-19-10 09:42 PM
    There is another option, buy a GPS Bluetooth Puck. This will allow you to use third party GPS apps. The Freedom 2000 is a popular one.

Freedom 2000
    Last edited by xliderider; 01-20-10 at 12:14 AM.
    01-19-10 11:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD