I wouldnt consider this an upgrade from the 8330 or 8310 either. It really only looks upgraded.
    I think its an upgrade as it runs 4.6os and most likely 5.0 at some point which an old 83xx series WON'T do....
    06-12-09 09:28 AM
    people want it because it looks cool. Often blackberrys and certain other phones are bought for stylish purposes. It is pretty nice looking.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-13-09 11:53 AM
    besides the trackpad, I don't really see much of a change from this device and my blacked out 8900 : )
    06-14-09 07:25 AM
    I want it (when it comes to Sprint) for the newer OS, and the upgrade in memory/processor. I also figure the CDMA version will have GPS. I hope there will be a camera flash, just for the flashlight purposes my 8330 serves, but I can make due without for the aspects that ARE obvious upgrades.

07-27-09 01:27 AM
    07-27-09 02:21 PM
    We need to get a 3G curve!!!!!! Come on i want a smaller version of the bold
    07-27-09 07:36 PM
    This device has the same processor/processor speed as the 8900. Yes it has a QVGA screen, but it's not a piece of crap. The build quality is perfectly fine. It's a nice little device to use. Especially as a backup, or if you want to switch things up from time to time. Heck Kevin loves to use this one. Every time I've used it, I thought it was pretty nifty.
    I'm definitely thinking about this as my backup phone. I've gotten so used to my 8900 that I would dread having to go to some other cheap option as a back up. So if a more affordable option is another BB, I'll go for it. If it comes out next month at a pretty affordable price and it goes further down, I can get it for a Christmas/Birthday present.
    07-28-09 01:02 AM
    The only two things I like about the 8520 are 1) the trackpad, of course; 2) the design of the side buttons and how they seemingly look as if they were covered with just mere bumps giving them away.

Like RichmaN said, it's a BB and someone will buy it. Ultimately, this handset will serve its purpose of getting more units moved.
    08-19-09 09:37 AM
    I think this phone is just fine but obviously not an upgrade in some cases. It is better (specs wise) than 8320. Better processor, memory, trackpad and music controls. Those who have an 8320 may not wish to upgrade but those just getting into the BB might want this if they don't have the money to sink into a more expensive one. Oh... and it does look pretty good.
    08-19-09 10:06 AM
    No flash??

No GPS??

Sure the "trackpad" is cool.

But why would I ever consider downgrading from my 8330 for this?

Seriously, what is RIM thinking about. Tech gadgets should get more goodies with subsequent revisions. Even the "low-end" models.

its just the new "entry level" for people wanting to start out with a blackberry from their dumb phones.
    08-19-09 10:49 AM
    You can still use an external GPS accessory, and as for the flash, the iPhone never had flash but did you hear people complaining? Nope, not really. If you don"t like the lack of a few features in a consumer phone then you don't have to buy it

08-19-09 05:22 PM
    Lame I thought it had gps its in the settings menu

08-19-09 05:46 PM

There is, under advanced options.

08-19-09 06:03 PM
    I'm confused cause I can't get it to work

08-19-09 10:55 PM
    this device is far from (lowend)
    08-20-09 11:58 AM
    It's, for lack of a better comparison, to the Curve series what the 8220 is to the Pearl series. Both are experimental devices(the 8520 being the test platform for the optical trackpad while the 8220 being the testbed for the clamshell form factor).
    08-20-09 03:10 PM
    A lot of you are just overlooking the fact that this BB is designed for a more rugged "work enviroment"....the built in grip, dedicate keys, wifi calling, handles 32 gb micro sd card, and obviously the track pad(no more cleaning or buy new trackballs)....everyone knows that the trackball is the first thing you have to perform maintainence on due to sometimes sticking. I dont use my BB to take very many pictures...I have digital camera for that and the GPS is kinda overted Google maps will give a triangulated fix on where you are, driving directions, pinpoint any business you are looking from the search mode........if these phones were cars the 8520 would be a sleeper....small rugged body with a hi-performance motor. Tommorrow I will pick one up at Wal-mart $48.88 then later I will get a Bold, Tour or a new Storm.....the 8520 will be my work enviroment phone & one the latter will be my after hours-weekend phone.....my pickup truck(8520) and my T-type(one of the latter) or my Honda Accord(one of the latter)...........for me it just fits a specific need............
    Last edited by 451Cuda; 08-21-09 at 06:55 PM.
    08-21-09 04:39 AM
    My point was its a downgrade even for the 83xx line.

no its not.... any bb with the new OS is an upgrade, regardless of the flash or whatever else your complaining about.....

the 83xx's OS was enough to persuade me to get an iphone...

they really got it right with 4.6
    08-21-09 09:32 AM
    A lot of you are just overlooking the fact that this BB is designed for a more rugged "work enviroment"....the built in grip, dedicate keys, wifi calling, handles 32 gb micro sd card, and obviously the track pad(no more cleaning or buy new trackballs)....everyone knows that the trackball is the first thing you have to perform maintainence on due to sometimes sticking. I dont use my BB to take very many pictures...I have digital camera for that and the GPS is kinda overted Google maps will give a triangulated fix on where you are, driving directions, pinpoint any business you are looking from the search mode........if these phone cars the 8520 would be a sleeper....small rugged body with a hi-performance motor. Tommorrow I will pick one up at Wal-mart $48.88 then later I will get a Bold, Tour or a new Storm.....the 8520 will be my work enviroment phone & one the latter will be my after hours-weekend phone.....my pickup truck(8520) and my T-type(one of the latter) or my Honda Accord(one of the latter)...........for me it just fits a specific need............
    wow..........
    08-21-09 09:34 AM
    No flash??

No GPS??

Sure the "trackpad" is cool.

But why would I ever consider downgrading from my 8330 for this?

Seriously, what is RIM thinking about. Tech gadgets should get more goodies with subsequent revisions. Even the "low-end" models.

This is an upgrade from all my previous BBs because the trackballs on them all died within 6 or 7 months of purchase. A phone can have all the features in the world, but it's nothing more than a paperweight if it doesn't work properly.

08-26-09 08:50 AM
    I think people are getting downright spoiled. Who says this is an upgrade for any older phone out there? Get serious. I think it IS an upgrade to the 83xx. It may not be a BIG upgrade but it is an upgrade never the less. I have played with it for a bit and i like the thing. The trackpad is pretty decent and obviously bound to be less problematic than the trackball no matter how much you like that. The external media keys are a nice addition. The phone has more memory and is faster. I believe the screen is comparable. This phone isn't necessarily designed to be an "upgrade" for some but rather a "First BB" for others so take a chill pill and just move on to something else like the 8900 if you like the Curve series.
    08-26-09 03:13 PM
    It does have it in the menu, but, like the 8320 it doesn't have GPS receiver in the phone. You'd have to buy and external GPS puck.
    08-26-09 03:15 PM
    i dont see why the 2 megapixel camera with no flash is a big deal. if you want a camera, go buy one. if you want a gps, go buy one. i think people are really forgetting what cell phones were like just 5 years ago.
    08-27-09 11:08 PM
    "Yes this is awesome. I dont think this coming to tmobile, ( i could be wrong). this is for international gsm such as india, africa, on and on, (outside of North America). who knows.."
    I live in oklahoma in the U.S. and a tmobile customer so it has made its way into america and into t mobile store
    09-03-09 08:35 AM
    a lot of people also dont understand this phone is a great addition for the intelligence community do to its low cost and low security risk so sometimes when your putting in your opinions look past the average phone user to why this phone would appeal to people.
    09-03-09 08:45 AM
101 ... 2345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD