IMHO the 8520 is going to be a great entry-level phone geared for the average user who looking to upgrade their old phone, likes to listen to music, look and take pictures (and not care about the flash being as most phones with cameras don't have one) and want to have all of the functionality us Crackberry users love and use everyday at a low price. There is nothing wrong with the phone. RIM is most likely using this phone as their flagship phone to test out the Optical Trackpad and corner the entry-level market for phones. With that being said I would most likely not get this phone not because I find anything wrong with it because the Optical TP is extremely cool and as mentioned earlier it's one less moving part to worry about and take care of and the flash for me is not an issue for me because the camera on my curve is gathering dust from all of the use I give it. LOL ;-p. Beside the new OS would be great but one thing I love about my 8320 is the wi-fi which I use everyday not only for browsing but for calls. This is the only reason that would hinder me from switching phones. So just think outside the box for a minute and take a look from all sides before you jump to conclusions. Like mentioned before someone will always buy it because times are hard and most people can't afford smart phones so this is an answer to everyone's problem when the time comes to upgrade their phone. Thanks guys.

ReyRey

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-10-09 01:25 PM
    No flash??

No GPS??

Sure the "trackpad" is cool.

But why would I ever consider downgrading from my 8330 for this?

Seriously, what is RIM thinking about. Tech gadgets should get more goodies with subsequent revisions. Even the "low-end" models.
    You couldn't use this device on a CDMA carrier anyway. Nothing is wrong with this device.
    RIM makes devices, and makes them all differently, and for different types of uses. Not everyone needs the top of the line device with tons of features. That said, RIM does make devices that has that and those features.
    You have to also remember that a lot of people that use BlackBerry's are BES users who do not pay for their device, as it's provided by their employer. The employer doesn't really care what features the device has as long as they get it for a good price and it has the compatibility and security features they need.
    That's why theres different model BlackBerry's. So you can choose which is the best device for you. As that might not be what the next person wants or needs. It's all about options and choices.
    05-10-09 02:34 PM
    do you think they'll make a CDMA version of this phone to replace the current 8330 series?
    05-13-09 04:08 PM
    It's important to remember that not EVERY phone that comes out will be an "upgrade" to current high-end models. I will admit, I was disappointed with the 8520 specs, but since it's possible that it'll low-end GSM Blackberry (prepaid, perhaps), I think it's great! RIM could really use a good but cheaper blackberry to try and expand its appeal to other demographics.
    05-13-09 08:39 PM
    was this the phone where they said something like prepaid or something
    05-19-09 05:39 PM
    I agree with everyone a little bit. I mean, it is an upgrade to ppl that use phones like KRZR's. But it's a downgrade to users with the Bold.
    05-19-09 05:44 PM
    its like a introduction into the bb world not for people who already have a bb because we know better.
    05-19-09 07:36 PM
    I would gladly get the 85xx over my 8310. Any berry that rim releases will be an upgrade to the original curve. Let's be honest. The phones are old, don't have a lot of memory, slow processor.

05-19-09 08:04 PM
    Are you going to complain about the lack of a portrait mirror on the Bold too?

Ever tried an 8100? The camera stinks. The camera on my Bold is a lot better, but it sure ain't because of that dinky little LED flash.
    05-19-09 09:17 PM
    This phone is almost completely legacy 83xx hardware, most likely destined for the Go-phone market. RIM is simply putting good, proven, working technology into a lower-cost demographic. It might also be a cheaper way to test the trackpad idea before integrating it into the rest of their products.

At any rate, this device line is not meant to be an upgrade for anyone currently. It will be a lower-cost alternative to the 8900 series.

I can definetely see the GoPhone aspect that could be a benefit for RIM. AT&T is going to release a new Pay-As-You-Go plan that is $3 a day for Unlimited calling only on the days that you make calls. I have sold Blackberries outright to people who have prepaid accounts but still want the latest. Having an economy BB would be great.

Last edited by colecar; 05-19-09 at 11:25 PM.
    05-19-09 11:23 PM
    is this phone going to be released on rogers in the coming months?
    05-19-09 11:55 PM
    If rogers is GSM then most likely yes. This will be a "*****" phone that every carrier will most likely get...

05-20-09 05:41 PM
    Rogers is the only real GSM provider in Canada. The other two major carriers, Telus and Bell, are both CDMA. If it's a GSM phone, Rogers will get it. They have the Bold and the iPhone after all...
    05-20-09 05:47 PM
    Where can I find a clear picture of this phone.. and no trackball?
    05-20-09 09:10 PM
    I would gladly get the 85xx over my 8310. Any berry that rim releases will be an upgrade to the original curve. Let's be honest. The phones are old, don't have a lot of memory, slow processor.

I wouldn't go that far - the 83xx are proven workhorses and truth be told they have a better build quality than much of the stuff since then IMO.

One thing to keep in mind is that a phone bought today has a lifespan of 2 around years before the next update. Two years ago my 8320 was top of the line, today it isn't top, but it still holds its own and can do most of what the newer berries can do. (Just a little slower LOL) The 8520 is comparable to the original 83xx with an updated processor and memory...trackpad I see as an experiment. A year ago this would have been a good refresh, but now its passed its time.

05-20-09 10:03 PM
    This might be a phone I would get of it came out to Sprint

05-24-09 08:57 PM
    I wouldn't go that far - the 83xx are proven workhorses and truth be told they have a better build quality than much of the stuff since then IMO.

One thing to keep in mind is that a phone bought today has a lifespan of 2 around years before the next update. Two years ago my 8320 was top of the line, today it isn't top, but it still holds its own and can do most of what the newer berries can do. (Just a little slower LOL) The 8520 is comparable to the original 83xx with an updated processor and memory...trackpad I see as an experiment. A year ago this would have been a good refresh, but now its passed its time.

Completely agree.

The build quality on my 8300 is solid. The 8520 looks a lot cheaper in comparison. This phone is most likely geared toward the low end market. It's definitely not for users of the 83xx series and up. I would never replace my 8300 with an 8520.
    05-25-09 03:14 PM
    EXACTLY!

This berry was developed to capture the low end users who are considering Berries but dont have the cash to fork out on one of the High-End Types(bold, Jevelin, Storms....etc)

plus this phone actually looks like the Bold/Jevelin in design & the media keys are simply there to again....attract low end users. i'm pretty sure most Bold users are more into applications and email than mulitmedia - the average phone users who is typically all about ringtones & wallpapers will LOVE this berry.

PLUS why not make a low end phone and capture that market, getting them hooked and maybe in a yr or 2 they may want to upgrade to a high end Berry.

its all about target market - so if u already have a Berry (83xx upwards) then this phone is NOT for U

the folks with older Berries or NO Berry @ all.....should consider this new phone
    The problem I see with this is the barrier to entry for most everyone I've spoken to regarding smartphones is NOT the price of the phone, its the price of the DATA PLAN. With things like phone upgrade incentives and new 2 year contract pricing, many Berries don't cost THAT much more than a really nice dumbphone.

But everyone I've spoken to balks at the $30/month data plan. They pay less than that for broadband at home, and can't fathom why they should shell out that much money for data on a smartphone where (absent tethering), you are never going to access even close to the amount of data you would on a computer (nor do you have even close to the same utility level).

And frankly, I don't blame them for balking. If I could find a phone that combined phone, messaging, and PDA (calendar, address book, syncing) functions, WITHOUT data, I'd highly consider buying it and ditching my data plan. Yeah, data plan is nice, but its an awful pricey luxury.

If any kind of mass-adoption of smartphones is to occur, I suspect data plans will need to drop to around the $15 / mo range.
    05-26-09 02:16 PM
    The curve 8520 is not meant to be an upgrade for people with the Bold or 8900, i think it is meant for either 83XX users or simply for people interested in berries but who are not willing to pay a lot for a bold or 8900. It seems RIM wants most blackberry users to have devices running os 4.6 or higher. For me being a new blackberry user i would definitely consider this device considering my 8310 will not run os 4.6, much less 5.0. and because i don't have the money to get a Bold or 8900 .
    05-26-09 08:17 PM
    Yeah this phone is not meant for Bold/8900/95xx users... Seriously.
    05-26-09 08:48 PM
    no matter which way you look at it. There should be a couple lower end model blackberry's. Not everyone wants to even spend 99 bucks on a phone but they want a smartphone..

I think its smart to have lower costing models that function decently.

I mean realistically this device will probably do email fantastic just like every other berry out there..

if someone just wants a emailing device this would work..
    05-27-09 04:51 AM
    Yeah this phone is not meant for Bold/8900/95xx users... Seriously.
    I'm not so sure about that opinion. A user may wish to have a reserve phone, or have a phone for occasions when the risk of damage or loss is increased and basic BB functionlity is acceptable.
    05-27-09 07:35 AM
    This device has the same processor/processor speed as the 8900. Yes it has a QVGA screen, but it's not a piece of crap. The build quality is perfectly fine. It's a nice little device to use. Especially as a backup, or if you want to switch things up from time to time. Heck Kevin loves to use this one. Every time I've used it, I thought it was pretty nifty.
    05-27-09 09:34 AM
    i'm pretty sure i'd buy one as a backup. then i can switch between this and the tour. hopefully that wont be difficult.
    05-27-09 10:53 AM
    I'm not so sure about that opinion. A user may wish to have a reserve phone, or have a phone for occasions when the risk of damage or loss is increased and basic BB functionlity is acceptable.
    Yeah but if its just a backup phone you could just as easily opt for a Razr or any phone really (83xx, pearl flip, 3g pearl, etc). I can't picture a lot of people selling their Bold/8900 to buy this

Personally I wouldn't opt for a backup phone that lacks gps and no flash (cameras with no flash border on useless a lot of the time)
    Last edited by papped; 05-27-09 at 11:01 AM.
    05-27-09 10:59 AM
101 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD