This may not be your feelings, but I think the single most cause of folks flocking to Android and the iPhone is the simple fact that Blackberry devices were very limited in turns of providing users access to whatever content was available on the web. That said, the inability of BBs to play "Flash" vids was a major issue for anyone upgrading to a smartphone. Even though I consider the BB to be the first true Smartphone,...other mfrs brother cellphones to the market with way less capabilities than BBs,...'cept they were capable of providing a better browsing experience and once Aunt Martha got here hands on an Android or iPhone,...the tides shifted away from the solida capaiblities of RIM devices. We already know that BB 10 will be the shiznick,...but that's months away and mostly will be around the holidays of which,...better and better Androids and iPhones will be coming to the Market.

In addition, AT&T and T-Mobile and Sprint did not help RIM's cause by note launching LTE when Verizon initiated it's LTE upgrade roadmap. So, what did smartphone mfrs do,...they made more and more LTE devices and Verizon gained millions of new subscribers. I won't even go into the the distress the iPhone caused RIM or any other cph mfrs. I will say that every Apple device released has had some significant issues, yet folks are still willing to line-up for the next iDevice! That said, it is my opinion that the LTE capable iPhone will be an awesome device,...and if it came with a slider keyboard,...I'd have one in a heartbeat.

Lastly, RIM needs to find a way to get to know what customers really freak'n want! I'm surprise that my purchase of my BB 9000, 9700,...9800,...and 9810 did not link me to a survey asking for my likes and dislikes of the new BB devices. Sure you can get online feedback from forums and blogs,...but there's nothing better than direct info from customers. I mean, I just bought a new BMW,....of which I was asked to submit a survey of the total purchase experience!

RIM became cheap and lazy! They became cheap by not putting OS 10 on the fast track! The code writers should have been on a 24-hour code-writing-work day,...2-3 years ago, but now they are on a 24-hour schedule just trying to "catch-up",...but not realizing that they are catching up to yesterday,...as other developers are moving forward.

I will say this,...the "Smartphone" is capable of being the only device that one needs in their lives to replace every other handheld mobile device! It's just a matter of this software communicating with that software and they both have a mutual understanding of the tasks at hand!

The future,...as a result of "Smarter Smartphones",...first, TVs will not come with remotes,..they will come preloaded with Apps,...everything in your home that operates off the power grid will be able to be controlled by a smartphone as a result of "apps",...either via WiFi or BT. DLNA will be just like DNA,...everyone's home will be DLNA'fied.

Our homes will know when we've arrived,...just by having our smartphone in our possession,...at the same time,..our homes will be able know who violated our property,...should that person have any electronic device on their possession,...and who doesn't or won't have a smartphone,...an electronic signature (or trace of you) will be left wherever you go. This already exists today and can be expanded via software.

So RIM,...even though you developed the first Smartphone,..IMHO,...you allowed others to beat you at your own game,...and this is the real problem.

You simply got knocked out!

Now the real question is,...can you regroup your resources and answer the bell for the next bout!

Time will tell...
    04-17-12 09:53 AM
    Uh, you missed one obvious fact, iPhone doesn't support flash, either. And, future BlackBerry devices are being planned into DLNA, so that doesn't hold water. We already know about past failings, as we've had shoved in our faces time, and time, and time again. So thanks for another waste of time, please get your rants right. Bye!

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smartphone And time to bone up on your smartphone history, while you're at it.
    Last edited by BergerKing; 04-18-12 at 01:07 AM.
    04-17-12 11:22 AM
    While flash will continue to be found all over the web, flash on mobile platforms is all but dying. Adobe themselves are no longer developing mobile flash.

I do believe having a flash enabled browser on a mobile device provides a more desktop like browsing experience, but as the years go by, I think it'll become less and less important.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-17-12 11:39 AM
    While flash will continue to be found all over the web, flash on mobile platforms is all but dying. Adobe themselves are no longer developing mobile flash.

I do believe having a flash enabled browser on a mobile device provides a more desktop like browsing experience, but as the years go by, I think it'll become less and less important.
    I also believe that desktop browsers will eventually abandon Flash as well. More sites will adopt HTML5, making Flash obsolete.
    04-17-12 11:47 AM
    Agree with the masses. Flash is on its way out. Op needs to crawl out more often.
    04-17-12 02:30 PM
    Thanks for the replies,...but the post is about why RIM is failing,...of which I believe RIM would had been in a better position had their devices had Flash capability some time ago. Especially when they decided to compete with Android.

As for Adobe no longer supporting Flash on mobile devices,...I'm well aware of that,...as well as being aware of HTML 5. Many consumers make decisions on the 'here and now'. That's how most of us think. I doubt if one person is looking for an html 5 compatiable smartphone,...even though I know this refers to the browser code,...but folks are looking for a smartphone that meets their needs and wants! This is where RIM failed.

Now, don't get me wrong,...I believe that the BB is superior to many mobile smartphone in many ways, but a lot of this is about time and the bottom line,...of which app developers are focusing on where the $dollar$ are,...and that is with the iPhone and Android. I have a Moto 1st generation Atrix and it does a lot of things very smooth,...but,...it doesn't do 'business related" functions better than my BB. I mean,..trying to 'Copy and Paste" litterally takes me some 10, 20+ minutes,...and only seconds on my 9810. So, as long as I'm in business, I will own a BB,...that is, until other mfrs incorporate a keyboard and a trackpad as good as those on a BB into their devices.
    04-17-12 08:09 PM
    Apple has shown that general consumers out there don't really know what they want...you have to show them what they want. If flash is what consumers wanted, the iPhone and iPad wouldn't be in the dominant positions they are in now.

Those of us who have specific reasons for wanting or needing a BlackBerry, iPhone, or Android device are the minority. We aren't the all important "typical consumer" that they need to attract to gain sales and market share.
    shaleem likes this.
    04-17-12 08:31 PM
    Flash is due to be retired anyway, even on the desktop. It is a resource hog and a target of malware. Good riddance, Flash.
    04-18-12 12:43 AM
    Thanks for the replies,...but the post is about why RIM is failing,...of which I believe RIM would had been in a better position had their devices had Flash capability some time ago. Especially when they decided to compete with Android.

As for Adobe no longer supporting Flash on mobile devices,...I'm well aware of that,...as well as being aware of HTML 5. Many consumers make decisions on the 'here and now'. That's how most of us think. I doubt if one person is looking for an html 5 compatiable smartphone,...even though I know this refers to the browser code,...but folks are looking for a smartphone that meets their needs and wants! This is where RIM failed.

Now, don't get me wrong,...I believe that the BB is superior to many mobile smartphone in many ways, but a lot of this is about time and the bottom line,...of which app developers are focusing on where the $dollar$ are,...and that is with the iPhone and Android. I have a Moto 1st generation Atrix and it does a lot of things very smooth,...but,...it doesn't do 'business related" functions better than my BB. I mean,..trying to 'Copy and Paste" litterally takes me some 10, 20+ minutes,...and only seconds on my 9810. So, as long as I'm in business, I will own a BB,...that is, until other mfrs incorporate a keyboard and a trackpad as good as those on a BB into their devices.
    Odd that it would take you that long to copy and paste something on the Atrix, I have the Photon, just a slight upgrade from the Atrix, and I figured out copy and paste rather quickly, and while it isn't as completely easy as BB, it isn't that complicated. I copy links, text, etc , and use them on a regular basis.
    04-18-12 01:00 AM
    Not only iPhones do not support flash, but mobile flash is dead officially, since adobe even said so. Also, it is all moving to HTML 5 anyways.
    04-18-12 01:16 AM
    Don't understand what you mean. Blackberries have had flash for a long time now.
    SnoozerBold, gschep and BB10FTW like this.
    04-18-12 02:05 AM
    Don't understand what you mean. Blackberries have had flash for a long time now.
    Click to view quoted image
    Flash as in Adobe Flash in the web browser...
    04-18-12 03:55 AM
    Click to view quoted image
    Funny that your arrow points to the self-portrait mirror.
    BlackBerry Guy likes this.
    04-18-12 08:38 AM
    What seperates BB from the rest is you need a IQ higher than a 6 yr old to use it. My daughter is 8 and has a iphone, the wife and myself use BB. RIM continues to get bad media blogs and 85% of people listen to them and don't kniw the true facts about BB, Android, Apple.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk
    JMDBERRY and NCUDS like this.
    04-18-12 09:14 AM
    Correct me if I am wrong, but the only smartphones that sell more than RIM as a make/brand are Nokia, Samsung, and Apple. As far as using the OS as the metric, then its only Android and iOS. My point? RIM is nowhere near as dead as the OP makes it out to be.

I would be delusional if I was saying everything is hunky dory at RIM, but even as the market share has declined in the last few years in favor of other brands or OS's, who says there cannot be multiple major players in the smartphone industry? I mean does anyone expect on automobile manufacturer to destroy everyone else? Or computer manufacturer to dominate all home computers in desktops/laptops? So why can't there be multiple major players in smartphones.

Yes, I believe the image of the Blackberry brand has been severely damaged in the large American smartphone market. Many reasons for this, RIM not keeping up and sitting on their hands as everyone else evolves quicker, lackluster marketing, lack of consumer media apps/games, lazy efforts in new Blackberries (remember the Storm 1 or 2 or the Style?), frustrating user experience with battery pulls/new OS's that render past ones obsolete isolating users/ slow downloads of everything from apps to web pages.

But... BB10 does already look very promising. The QNX OS on the Playbook is pretty darn good after one year and will improve even more by the time BB10 Blackberries hit the market. Blackberry still has a niche in having the best darn qwerty keyboards in mobile phones.

Also one last thing to consider... how long before people cycle out of iOS or Android in favor of something just as high end but new and different? I mean iOS is 5 years old and while it has improved over the years, who hasn't already used it to death? I mean one of the many reasons I have no desire to purchase an iPhone is that I have an iPod Touch and it would be like signing a 2 year contract to have the same mobile device except it can make calls?
    04-18-12 02:56 PM
    Going by the logic of the topic title, Apple should be dead broke.... funny how that's the opposite AND their device have amazing battery life because of it.

Isn't it ironic?
    04-18-12 03:08 PM

Don't know what you're doing wrong with your Atrix.

Copy and paste is easy as pie on mine and on my Skyrocket.

Don't blame the device, it works beautifully
    04-19-12 02:12 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD