Hello Everyone, I recently purchased a 8220 flip...i set up the wifi and do not have a data plan...i would check sites etc etc and the phone would say it was connected to my home router....but BUT BUUUT i got my cellphone bill and its more than $200 when its usually only $50.

I bought this phone as the wi-fi was a huge selling feature but how did Rogers charge me if i dont have a data plan? Any advise on what to do?

P.S. edge is in small letters, hence no data plan.....and i went to a rogers store and they told me i wouldnt be charged since i was going on wifi and even showed me how to do it....sooooooooooooooo upset!!
    01-14-09 05:48 PM
    If you see edge, you have a data connection. Phone-only will say GSM. Can you set your browser to WiFi-only?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-14-09 05:57 PM
    Are you sure? I always thought lowercase edge just meant you are in a service area that has edge service, but do not have correct provisioning for the enhanced service.

01-14-09 06:09 PM
    the word "edge" is in small letters.....as for the wifi sign, its there but its not black and white, its greyish.....but i know i havent got a data plan....i am planning on calling up rogers on the weekend but I want to be sure of what to say so i dont get screwed into paying the full amount.
    01-14-09 06:53 PM
    can you delete the service books that control edge and use wifi browser?
    01-15-09 02:42 PM
    im not sure, how would you do that? And does it effect anything else?
    01-15-09 08:02 PM
    First off I do not have wifi on my phone so I am speculating. I believe that if you go to advanced settings and delete service books related to edge it would prevent the problem. I also think that you could tell your provider to block data for you. I think that most will do that.
    01-15-09 08:07 PM
    Hello Everyone, I recently purchased a 8220 flip...i set up the wifi and do not have a data plan...i would check sites etc etc and the phone would say it was connected to my home router....but BUT BUUUT i got my cellphone bill and its more than $200 when its usually only $50.

I bought this phone as the wi-fi was a huge selling feature but how did Rogers charge me if i dont have a data plan? Any advise on what to do?

P.S. edge is in small letters, hence no data plan.....and i went to a rogers store and they told me i wouldnt be charged since i was going on wifi and even showed me how to do it....sooooooooooooooo upset!!
    Well, do you have a detail bill?
    Does it show that the increase in the cost is due to data?
    01-15-09 08:16 PM
    Ah, with further research, I find that apparently, lower-case edge means you are on the provider's edge network, but not authenticated/registered on RIM's network, therefore not able to use BlackBerry-specific data functions.

I'd definitely want to look at the detailed bill to see what incurred the charges.
    01-21-09 09:40 AM
    This doesnt make any sense to me but I still have to call Rogers and figure it out...just been procrastinating....
    01-22-09 09:48 AM
    The first thing you should do, set your default browser to Hot Spot. That will only use your Wifi connection and will not incur further data charges. Of course, it will only work in a Wifi zone.

Options / Advanced Options / Browser. Press Menu and select Change Option.

"edge" means you are using network data. Every Kb is counted and will be billed somewhere. The lowercase mean you do not have a BIS connection, but the data access is there.

If it were me, I would take my complaint to the Rogers Wireless store. It will be a lot easier working with your local guys, they want to keep you a satisfied customer for years to come.
    Last edited by Reed McLay; 01-22-09 at 01:46 PM.
    01-22-09 01:43 PM
    This is all wonderful advice and totally understandable to even someone new to BB like myself. My BB always shows the lower case edge so that would mean that i would be using data 24/7 but not the case because I would have a bill of at least a few hundred. We have the family unlimited messaging too. I did have extra data charges last month due to my browsing and not knowing about the browser setting "hotspot". However, I have changed that and still continue to see data on my bill!!! What is going on? Any of these apps using data that I don't know about?

OZ
    trackIT Time Zone
    Crackberry.com
    Google maps

I have checked my DATA usage so far...only 10 into new month and my usage is
    MEdia Net/Internet Overage....3.1

What is doing this? I only use these while on wifi. But something must be using data and I can't even block data because I wouldn't be able to use the picture or IM on the unlimited messaging. This is insane! Makes me kinda regret getting this BB. I didn't want the iphone and wanted a phone with wifi so that I would be able to "occasionally" use the internet! Hope I find a solution...I am really enjoying the BB just not the extra charges!
    01-27-09 10:17 PM
    3.1 what? Kilobytes? Megabytes? GIgs? Cuz that could all add up. I was going to suggest blocking data, but as you mentioned, pics and IM would be gone. Its impossible for me to tell for sure what is causing this without seeing what you are doing daily. As a troubleshooting step, I would suggest tracking what your data usage is one day, and only using 1 of those aps tomorrow, and seeing if it adds to your data charges. If it doesn't, the next day only use the next ap, and again see if it bills you any data. Keep going til you find out. I don't know the time zone ap, but the others shouldn't charge data, so I would see if maybe that somehow is using it.
    01-27-09 11:44 PM
    Just a quick update, i called Rogers and told them i received these charges even though i dont have a data plan - the rep reversed the charges and told me that he blocked data and if i removed the block, there would be no further reversal of charges. Now I have to figure out how to use wifi...
    the earlier message mentions not being able to use messenger....which messenger?
    01-28-09 05:58 AM
    I have the unlimited messaging...I was told by ATT that if I had data blocked, IM and picture would not work. Doesn't make sense why they would charge for unlimited and then charge again for data to use them. So actually the only thing really included is the texting! Otherwise you get another charge for data! Not sure if OZ would work only on wifi. I will check it out and let you know. I was told that it uses text to IM...shall see
    01-28-09 06:03 AM
    Wireless network is not available...I get that when I turn of my network radio and try using only wifi. So there must be data usage right?
    01-28-09 06:06 AM
    did you check your apn settings? not sure if this applies to the new flip phone but few years ago when i first got the 8320, with no data plan i could use the net on a charge per use basis if i had my apn filled out
    01-28-09 05:23 PM
    Its my understanding the unlimited messaging is text messages. With Tmobile they have a plan that is unlimited email and blackberry messenger works on it. You just cant use the browser. So att&t and rogers are allowing you to use data even though you dont have a plan, then hitting you with charges. Thats just messed up.
    01-28-09 06:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD