Hey. So i am new to blackberry and smart phones in general. I just got a slightly used 9700 and unlocked it online, from rogers to virgin mobile canada. I ONLY HAVE A TALK&TEXT plan , however it says its connecting to my at home wi-fi connection from my computer. Due to having high mobile bills in the past im a little hesitant to use this connection, but would be nice if i knew if i WOULD get billed for it or not.
    Would anybody know????? Plz help me out, id really appreciate it.
    It says Virgin-PCmobile on the top of my phone....so what connection is the internet feeding off of??

Also, Does mobile network need to be turned off when using my home wi-fi?? because once i turn of my network and have "wi'fi only" checked. My browser stops working.
    Any suggestions?|
    Thanks
    Last edited by BloNdie4ev; 07-12-12 at 07:13 PM. Reason: Forgot question.
    07-12-12 06:08 PM
    If you have or don't have a BIS plan you won't be getting billed for using your WIFI connection.
    Wifi have the priority.
    07-12-12 06:14 PM
    You wont be billed for sure if you have data services off

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk
    07-12-12 07:37 PM
    Based on my experience (a few days in Europe with voice only sim) I'm pretty sure you will not be able to use most apps that require data, even with the wifi working.

You could use the browser if you change the option to hotspot browser instead of internet browser.
    07-12-12 07:54 PM
    Yes, its absolutely fine. I had my 9700 with Rogers for 8 months without a data plan and everything worked fine on wifi. Some apps require data like vlingo or google maps, but most apps work on wifi.

With rogers, i couldnt connect to anything without wifi turned on even if i tried, so i wasnt afraid of using the carriers internet connection. You can ask your carrier to just restrict your phone from using the carrier network for data, just to be sure. Wifi will still work. You shouldnt have to turn off your network to use wifi.
    Hope you enjoy your new Bold.
    07-12-12 10:36 PM
    You won't be charged, wifi always wins in this case. You can also go to "Manage connections > Mobile Network Options > and then you can turn data service off.
    07-13-12 12:23 AM
    On my Bold 9900 (ATT), turning off data services results in NO browser, PINs, email, etc, even with a WiFi connection. Too bad the RIM programmers did not think about this issue. I have OS version 7.0.0; maybe the new 7.1.0 will fix this, but I doubt it.
    11-17-12 02:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD