Hi guys,

Something unexpected happened a while ago, I hope someone can help out. I'm 1 week into my new blackberry and its caused a bit of paranoia. Its the classic battery drain problem.

Is there really a link between having no data plan (for BIS), leaving the "data services" setting on, and severe battery drain?

I read here in the forums that if you're not on a data plan with "data services" turned on, your network will constantly "search" for that network to death?According to the poster: "When the phone has a BIS/BES connection it is happy and only connects when it needs to and the battery consumption is reduced"

With no data plan (but data services on) my batt drained 50% of its battery in 5 hours. It shouldn't be THIS bad right? How can I get 2 and a half days of batt on a data plan, but less than a day without?

Ive done every basic battery saving tip
    -50% brightness
    -bluetooth off
    -wifi off
    -closed applications
    -gps off
    -standby mode all the time
    -all that jazz
    -local Telco APN disabled

other facts
    -phone has no warranty
    -My send/receive data arrows keep flashing on the upper right (even with no data plan).
    -The arrows disappear when "data services" is turned off

Anyone here having the same experience? Or perhaps a 2+ day battery life with "data services" turned on even without a data plan? Your insights would greatly help! Thanks all
    11-28-10 12:20 AM
    I could see how that would drain your battery, yes. I would imagine it is like having no signal...the phone trys its hardest to find a signal.

I would turn your data services off. I try to not have anything on that doesn't need to be.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-28-10 12:40 AM
    Why keep the WiFi off if you don't have any data services anyway? Seems like turning it on would help calm that down. Plus, do any of your data services work? If not, why leave it on!

11-28-10 03:20 AM
    Why keep the WiFi off if you don't have any data services anyway? Seems like turning it on would help calm that down. Plus, do any of your data services work? If not, why leave it on!

Certain app's can still use that wifi connection, such as Opera for browsing without Blackberry service. But, yeah turn it off if your not using app's.
    11-28-10 08:33 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD