I was just looking at my phone bill and realized something.

When BBM goes cross-platform with all of its main features, won't the cell plans be rendered useless for a common person?

Cell Plan: Phone calls, text, picture messaging, caller ID, emergency calls, data
    and BBM: Phone calls, text, picture messaging, caller ID, emergency calls (can make them without a SIM), video calls, groups, channels, etc...

The problem will be connection. And seeing as how in most urban cities, McDonalds and Tims are everywhere, that shouldn't be a huge problem in public areas. Also, most people's work will have wifi available, homes have them too! So, if you are a student (like me) and would love to not spend 50-70 dollars a month, it would be the perfect way to save money!

I can hold off talking to friends until I get to a cafe/home/uni. It's not like I'm going to lose something by doing that... I can also talk to family in the same fashion. If I'm in trouble, I'll still have emergency call available because those calls can be made even without a SIM card! And on those rare rural area trips, I can simply purchase a prepaid plan card.

Also, with continuous innovations in wi-fi technology, in a few years, wifi signals that can span 100s of kilometers can become a reality!

Of course, this won't work for everyone everywhere, but for those that could make this work, what do you think? Will you continue with your cell plan if this is available alternative?
    08-07-13 02:58 PM
    I never go to McDonalds and Tims is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyy over yonder in Canada. Some people need data on the go, all the time, not just meal or break time.
    08-07-13 03:01 PM
    People that need data need it more than just where wifi is available. People aren't giving up data plans just because BBM is cross platform. If it works for you then good. But if this was the case people would have been ditched data for whatsapp or facebook messenger or google + or insert another cross messaginig application.
    amazinglygraceless likes this.
    08-07-13 03:05 PM
    I'll take straight black Winchell's coffee over any of this Tim's or Starbucks stuff people seem
    to love.

Besides that, whether I was to use BBM or not, I'm not skipping out of my cell phone plan on the
    hopes that I may run into a wifi signal somewhere. No way.
    08-07-13 03:06 PM
    Cell phone (data) plans allow you to do more than just communicate, and WiFi isn't just everywhere for me to solely rely on. Example: in-car navigation.
    08-07-13 03:14 PM
    I think a lot of people and carriers will have to change their plans to reflect the move to "data" from texting/calling. If texting is an extra charge on your bill ($10/month for unlimited texting for example) , why wouldn't the world move to a free solution like BBM for messaging and save money? Most people have some sort of data plan, and BBM uses very little data, depending on what you do with it. With the addition of voice and video services, standard phone plans with extra minutes and texts might as well be forgotten. Just get a data plan with sufficient limits and you're good to go.

Posted via CB10
    08-07-13 03:20 PM
    I think people will just rely more of wifi and data than normal texts or minutes.

On average I use 10 minutes tops monthly on my bill since I use BBM to talk or just plainly text.

Posted via CB10
    scorpiodsu likes this.
    08-07-13 03:23 PM
    If it works for you then thats great. There are some people like you that really could pull this off, but for the majority, they need instant access and don't mind the $50-100 monthly expense.

Posted via CB10
    08-07-13 03:25 PM
    I think a lot of people and carriers will have to change their plans to reflect the move to "data" from texting/calling. If texting is an extra charge on your bill ($10/month for unlimited texting for example) , why wouldn't the world move to a free solution like BBM for messaging and save money? Most people have some sort of data plan, and BBM uses very little data, depending on what you do with it. With the addition of voice and video services, standard phone plans with extra minutes and texts might as well be forgotten. Just get a data plan with sufficient limits and you're good to go.

Posted via CB10
    I agree with the part about adjusting plans toward the trend but this is why they started capping our plans. They realized that people were using more data so they now have the opportunity to charge us for it. Carriers aren't our friends LOL. They look at the trends and figure out how they can get more money. And in regards to the below:

If texting is an extra charge on your bill ($10/month for unlimited texting for example) , why wouldn't the world move to a free solution like BBM for messaging and save money?

These solutions have been out awhile and people still text. Why isn't everyone using Whatsapp now if they can lower their bill? I mean this stuff didn't just come a long with cross messaging BBM. Why haven't people already moved to gtalk/hangouts if this was the case? Honestly, I don't know but I think most still don't rely on those applications and primary means of communication. A lot do but most probably don't And people don't often like being retrained when they have something that works for them. Lastly, with the new carrier share plans in the US which carriers are trying to get everyone on services no benefit to users not texting. Your plan cost is the same whether you text or not. So for many users it's like "if this is convenient and I have everyone's number and don't need to go out and add everyone and get no financial benefit, then why stop?". Not that I agree, but there are a lot of factors and users have varying needs.
    08-07-13 03:30 PM
    City Mayors: Largest cities in the world by land area (1 to 125)

100 * 100 = 10000

https://www.google.ca/?q=Super+wifi

If a country makes this invenstment, it will be a game changer!!

You need ~1 per city! :O Would you still keep your cell plans?
    08-07-13 03:31 PM
    In theory this should have happened a long time back with Skype, Viber, Tango and WeChat all offering chat and calls free over the internet. However the problem is that there are always some platforms that are left out. BBM for example is leaving out WP.

If they can truly be on every platform used in a particular country (or atleast reach 99% of the users) then it is possible I guess.
    mikeo007 likes this.
    08-07-13 03:32 PM
    while this sounds really bad i can use bbm on my bb10 device with no sim card plugged in at all so its only copying the function of their latest devices seeing as bb10 doesnt require BIS it can operate over wifi for all but phonecalls and text messages which are obvious and require a sim lol
    08-07-13 03:51 PM
    I doubt that all of my contacts will be on BBM, even when it goes cross-platform, so I still need my facebook and twitter and instagram, as well as a lot of other apps that use data.
    scorpiodsu likes this.
    08-07-13 04:03 PM

When BBM goes cross-platform with all of its main features, won't the cell plans be rendered useless for a common person?

Cell Plan: Phone calls, text, picture messaging, caller ID, emergency calls, data
    and BBM: Phone calls, text, picture messaging, caller ID, emergency calls (can make them without a SIM), video calls, groups, channels, etc...

The problem will be connection. And seeing as how in most urban cities, McDonalds and Tims are everywhere, that shouldn't be a huge problem in public areas. Also, most people's work will have wifi available, homes have them too! So, if you are a student (like me) and would love to not spend 50-70 dollars a month, it would be the perfect way to save money!

I can hold off talking to friends until I get to a cafe/home/uni. It's not like I'm going to lose something by doing that... I can also talk to family in the same fashion. If I'm in trouble, I'll still have emergency call available because those calls can be made even without a SIM card! And on those rare rural area trips, I can simply purchase a prepaid plan card.

Also, with continuous innovations in wi-fi technology, in a few years, wifi signals that can span 100s of kilometers can become a reality!

Of course, this won't work for everyone everywhere, but for those that could make this work, what do you think? Will you continue with your cell plan if this is available alternative?
    You need data.
    scorpiodsu likes this.
    08-07-13 04:09 PM
    I gave my son a BB 9650 I wasn't using anymore. He was living in Nicaragua, and Claro didn't support that phone. Anyway he got by Skype calling on wifi no problem.
    08-07-13 04:30 PM
    I gave my son a BB 9650 I wasn't using anymore. He was living in Nicaragua, and Claro didn't support that phone. Anyway he got by Skype calling on wifi no problem.
    That works as long as one can find a wi-fi connection. Not everyone has wi-fi 24/7.
    08-07-13 04:50 PM
    That works as long as one can find a wi-fi connection. Not everyone has wi-fi 24/7.
    That's my point tho - if you're a student or an average joe, you don't need the phone 24/7!

Most people call their family to say hi/hello or something like that.. for that you can simply get to a nearby wifi spot and use it for free!

Obviously, if you NEED to use the phone at ALL times, you would need a data plan and therefore a cell plan... but if not, then why pay for something like that?!

Or even, just get a $20 prepaid card to pay for these non-wifi zone usage!
    08-07-13 05:05 PM
    Nope. Not only no but NO HEEEEEEEEELL NO!!!!!

Keeping my plan.
    08-07-13 05:06 PM
    That's my point tho - if you're a student or an average joe, you don't need the phone 24/7!

Most people call their family to say hi/hello or something like that.. for that you can simply get to a nearby wifi spot and use it for free!

Obviously, if you NEED to use the phone at ALL times, you would need a data plan and therefore a cell plan... but if not, then why pay for something like that?!

Or even, just get a $20 prepaid card to pay for these non-wifi zone usage!
    I think most average joes use data. Or they have dumb phones.
    08-07-13 05:09 PM
    You're also relying on the data speed at the local hospital, and the number of people connected. Depending on where you go, this might mean the connection speed won't make for a good voice call, or video.

The fact that most people communicate via data has already affected wireless data plans in the USA. Carriers have switched to unlimited phone call plans, even unlimited text messages, while charging more for data. My kids don't call me anymore, unless it is an emergency. Instead, they text me and share things on Facebook. I chat with my brother via Skype (usually while he is on a plane) rather than via phone calls.

The fact is that data plans are becoming more a part of our daily lives. People are expecting to always be connected all the time. From connecting to wifi at home and common destinations and in between, I don't see people dropping data plans just to connect in limited and specific areas. It might be the cheaper route, but the desire to be connected will more than likely win out.
    08-07-13 06:02 PM
    The future of cellular is LTE with VoLTE (voice over LTE). Currently, even LTE phones drop down to GSM 1x or CDMA to make voice calls, but over the next couple of years, those technologies will be phased out and calls will be VoIP using the LTE data connection (with built-in end-to-end QoS to ensure high call quality). At that point, phones will be sold that are LTE-only, and are essentially data-only. The legacy GSM and CDMA frequencies will be re-farmed to create more LTE bandwidth, and carrier plans will be strictly data plans. Granted, carriers will delay this as long as reasonably possible, but competition, regulations, and the need for more data bandwidth will make it happen in the next 3-4 years.
    kyleheney likes this.
    08-07-13 07:00 PM
    Why in the world do I have a smart phone if I can't look things up where ever the heck I am. And for those of us who don't live in a big city, we gotta have our carrier signal. But, this is less than 1 mile from my house:

No Cell Plan Needed When BBM goes Cross Platform!-seasidebeach.jpg
    08-07-13 08:53 PM
    Why in the world do I have a smart phone if I can't look things up where ever the heck I am. And for those of us who don't live in a big city, we gotta have our carrier signal. But, this is less than 1 mile from my house:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SeasideBeach.jpg 
Views:	277 
Size:	28.2 KB 
ID:	190612
    You mean to tell me that McDonalds hasn't expanded to the beach yet??! Fire those execs now!
    08-07-13 09:53 PM

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SeasideBeach.jpg 
Views:	277 
Size:	28.2 KB 
ID:	190612
    Moving on this weekend, love.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2
    08-08-13 06:37 AM

The answer is... no - even if the wifi was good enough where I live and it's not - I pay �12 a month for unlimited data, 3000 minutes, god knows how many texts - It's simply too cheap and convenient to give up.
    08-08-13 06:45 AM
34 12