Mods: feel free to move this to the appropriate forum or sub-forum area.
    EDIT: New File, Version 2 is up. Now works with 4.5 OS & 5.0

How to get internet to work without a data plan:

Download the attached file called "TCP Service Book Entry.zip", you will need to unzip the "Browser_via_TCP_all_network.ipd" file out of it, you will need it in a moment.

1) Enable Legacy SB Restore mode.

Go to Options > Advanced Options > Service Book

hold ALT and press SBEB

you will see the "Legacy SB Restore Enable" popup

After that you can backup or restore service book entries to and from your BlackBerry.

2) Back Up Your Current Service Book

Open your Blackberry Desktop Manager.

Go to Backup & Restore

Go to Backup

Pull over the 'Service Books' Entry to the left hand collumn.

Right click the file on the left collumn, and hit save. Name it SB backup or something you will recognize.

Now select the Browser_via_TCP_all_network.ipd file you downloaded earlier and 'restore' it to the device.

The device will reboot, and if you didn't have the browser icon on your phone before, it should be there now. If it was present before and just didn't work, it should work now.

I did this on my Curve 8330 and it worked wonderfully. I have it on Alltel prepaid which I was turned over to Verizon in my area. I am going from memory on one or two directions on the installation process, as I did this about a week or so ago but everything else is right. I can now use the internet to surf, tether to my computer, or anything else. Before doing this I had to use Opera as the browser which only allowed me to view web pages; not watch videos or download anything.
    Last edited by gman4dx266; 12-06-09 at 09:42 AM.
    11-29-09 06:37 PM
    Wow, is your Pre-Paid going to be hit hard with the usage you are currently using? Pre-Paid BlackBerry? What the what?
    11-29-09 06:46 PM
    I dont get charged for data for some reason. (lol) I *DID* -PRE- merger, (5c/kilobyte i think it was with alltel). I called verizon about a service problem I was having at the time of the network changeover (I was roaming in my home area). They did something in the system, that pushed me over to some different settings, not sure what they did. My phone still says "ALLTEL" under Mobile Network, but I have a verizon account, I get mail from them, etc etc.

I dont use my phone all that often, if I do its just me driving with my laptop in the car using internet or using it as GPS with Nav4All. I use my phone during daytime minutes about 5 minutes a month. The rest falls into my night and weekend portion where my usage widely varies depending on the amount of girls who get drunk and drunkdial me. LOL!
    11-29-09 07:01 PM
    will try,hope it works on my curve as well.
    11-30-09 01:12 AM
    is this for if you don't have a data plan. because i dont have a data plan and if i do this i dont want to start getting charged for a data plan.
    12-01-09 11:55 AM
    Its for if you don't have the "blackberry data plan" which is different than the normal data plan.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-01-09 12:38 PM
    lol, none of this makes any sense. Get a service you are illegally using by following this method. As if its OK to steal your neighbors cable because you can't get HBO. I hope the company finds out you are using BIS without actually having BIS, and charges the bejesus our of your account. Ha, and I hope you tether too. I can't wait to see your bill.
    12-01-09 12:59 PM
    You're not using bis. You're using the data plan that you have that's not bis. All this does is changes the routing your phone uses for data. You're not stealing anything. You're still not getting push email or anything associated with the more expensive bis.

12-01-09 01:22 PM
    You're not using bis. You're using the data plan that you have that's not bis. All this does is changes the routing your phone uses for data. You're not stealing anything. You're still not getting push email or anything associated with the more expensive bis.
    That is correct. The email functions do not work. This DOES get the blackberry browser to work to where you can download OTA programs and the like. DO NOT run this IF you have a BIS data plan! It MAY mess something up royally. There is a chance it could anyways, which is why I stated in my instructions to BACK UP YOUR SERVICE BOOK ENTRIES. You do this at your own risk. Basically only use the patch if you get that error about not having a registered service book or whatever it says when you open your blackberry browser without BIS or BES.

All this does is instead of routing data traffic through BIS, it routes it through the cellular networks' transmission control protocol (TCP), and from there each hop on the network will route it where it needs to go. It still has a great deal of speed to it as well. I can run slacker radio all day long with no hiccup, as well as tethering it to my PC and download files quickly (400+ kb/sec)
    12-01-09 02:40 PM
    So, if not RIM's BIS proxy servers, who's proxy servers does all your TCP traffic go through... and much more to the point I made a few months back when this surfaced... who's capable of snooping on said traffic.
    12-01-09 03:51 PM
    I would assume it goes through your carriers servers, the same it would if you had any normal dumbphone.

12-01-09 06:03 PM
    I would assume it goes through your carriers servers, the same it would if you had any normal dumbphone.

Correct. There is no law established that says you have to route TCP over IP through a proxy. For example, most computers in the world do not run traffic thru a proxy. In reality, theres no reason for a bb to have to run thru one either. Thats just to provide 'services' and have everyone on an equally maintained network which is essentially useless. (BES being an exception).

In fact, in theory, my way should be faster, due to the reduced number of hops traffic must stop at or flow through, as well as a reduced (actually, nonexistent) bottleneck.
    12-01-09 07:12 PM
    So, if not RIM's BIS proxy servers, who's proxy servers does all your TCP traffic go through... and much more to the point I made a few months back when this surfaced... who's capable of snooping on said traffic.
    Exactly, just when you think you've heard it all...
    12-01-09 07:16 PM
    Exactly, just when you think you've heard it all...
    Im not sure I understand what yall are saying, maybe I completely missed the point in my last post lol

Let me throw some more info out there maybe this will answer whatever is leftover:

First, if anyone wants to see your traffic they will. Traffic between you and BIS, encrypted or not (which it very well could be, im honestly not sure on that) only solves half of the problem because it is not encrypted on the outgoing nodes. For example:

My phone requesting Google.com--(encrypted)--> BIS --(un-encrypted)--> Google.com

And the reverse path is the same as the request. On the right hand side between BIS and your requested data, anything is viewable as it is on a regular computer. It would take far too much processing power, and in a lot of cases just plain wouldnt work, if BIS tried to carry the encryption over to the outbound IP side of things. TCP was not designed for such a purpose, and to achieve that with acceptable results we would have to implement another protocol into our phones which would not be economically feasible or even technological due to the fact that the world largely runs on TCP (and UDP but thats another story)

Did that clear up anything? Do you lose some encryption capabilities? sure, is it worth worrying about? For most people, No. It keeps the honest people out, thats about it. Other than that, the intruder just needs a different entry point.
    12-01-09 07:26 PM
    So, what IP/Port does this service book display on the provisioning screen. Also, when an IP lookup is done, what IP does the BB browser report as having? A RIM based one, or the IP of the phone itself which matches that of the IP indicated on the #HELP* screen? To my knowledge, only SOCKS capable IP traffic on a BB is capable of being routed around RIM's NOC network (i.e. OperaMini works when BIS/BES is down, etc.)

BTW, for the sake of discussion, this change to provisioning should also get around the download limitations that RIM imposes on Blackberries.... yet adding more fire to the fact that RIM needs to just remove those stupid limitations, but that's another discussion.
    12-01-09 08:22 PM
    So, what IP/Port does this service book display on the provisioning screen. Also, when an IP lookup is done, what IP does the BB browser report as having? A RIM based one, or the IP of the phone itself which matches that of the IP indicated on the #HELP* screen? To my knowledge, only SOCKS capable IP traffic on a BB is capable of being routed around RIM's NOC network (i.e. OperaMini works when BIS/BES is down, etc.)

BTW, for the sake of discussion, this change to provisioning should also get around the download limitations that RIM imposes on Blackberries.... yet adding more fire to the fact that RIM needs to just remove those stupid limitations, but that's another discussion.
    Man you posed so many questions, let me see if I can net them all! LOL

Firstly, you snag a unique IP address each time the phone power is cycled or at the very least the radio on your device is cycled. The IP that I get provided returns to Alltel Communcations when I do a IP-WHOIS on myself. Also, if you're interested, I get a similar outbound IP assigned to me whether I tether to my laptop or just use my bb browser. So to answer your question, I get a non-RIM ip. In other words, I have nothing to do with RIM as it stands. I just use their hardware in simplest terms lol

Secondly, you're correct about SOCKS, however this is just standard IP. I am just utilizing the method like any other run of the mill phone you get at Walmart uses to get on the web.

JRSCCivic9, you also have me intrigued on the rim download limit. I was not aware of such an imposed limitation. This is news to me. Good news at that.

Going back to what you said, Before I did this patch, the only way I could use the internet on my curve was to use Opera Mini (or Bolt or whatever you want to use). Those are the only ones that wouldnt give me a dirty look for not having a service book, which has been explained.
    12-01-09 09:12 PM
    Hey if anyone has done this an has success, please post up and let me know.
    12-05-09 06:27 PM
    i tried it and it didnt work for my phone. i have a regular data plan and my os is 4.5. i followed the steps and before i started i didnt have a browser option but now i do. any other ideas
    12-12-09 05:10 PM
    Do NOT run this IF you have a data plan. It is pointless. I'm not sure why you didn't have a browser icon if you DID have a data plan, probably a matter of reregistering your device. Now that you have the browser icon does the internet show up? You mau have to do a battery pull or an alt shift delete reboot. I would personally set it back to how it was and reregister your device OR resend service books. If that gets you nowhere then call your provider. Thanks for trying it!

12-12-09 05:34 PM
    ok so i dont have a BIS data plan which means i dont have EDGE. I do have a basic data plan which gives me edge. So if i do this, does this mean i can get EDGE?!?
    12-13-09 04:01 AM
    ok so i dont have a BIS data plan which means i dont have EDGE. I do have a basic data plan which gives me edge. So if i do this, does this mean i can get EDGE?!?
    One shouldnt have effect on the other. EDGE is just the type of data network for GSM networks like AT&T or Tmobile. Even without a data plan you should STILL be able to get on an EDGE (for GSM networks) or 1XEV (EV-DO for CDMA networks). You will just get charged for whatever data usage you rack up.

You can try it if you like, but you have another problem you need to solve first-why you're not on EDGE to begin with. Try going into Manage Connections and then go to Mobile Network Options. In that window make sure Data Services is set to "On", or at least "Off when roaming". For example if I have my data services turned off, my phone displays "1xev" non-capital letters, meaning in laymans terms thats the best connection I can get minus data capability. If I have data capability, its 1XEV. If I have a slow data connection (bad signal or something) its 1X - which i would guess is the same as your 'edge' maybe?

Is your phone and plan frowned upon (as in something like my case-blackberry on prepaid)? Reason I ask is they usually try to get everyone on BIS and some even say they require it. If it was allowed by your carrier, call them up and ask them to enable EDGE and tell them you're aware that you'll be charged for data usage and would like to be put on the highspeed EDGE network.

If you decide to try this, DO back up your existing stuff first like the instructions say. In your situation you sound like you dont have much to loose, but it is still a good practice to proceed with this kind of thing in caution. Do you have the Browser icon on your device available to use? Mine was visible, but when I would click it, it would say it cant find the correct service books or whatever that famous error is. That fixed it. After I updated my Curve to the leaked 5.0 OS, I didn't even have the browser icon and my patch put it there AND let me on the network with it. Let me know how it works man!
    Last edited by gman4dx266; 12-13-09 at 12:08 PM.
    12-13-09 12:03 PM
    One shouldnt have effect on the other. EDGE is just the type of data network for GSM networks like AT&T or Tmobile. Even without a data plan you should STILL be able to get on an EDGE (for GSM networks) or 1XEV (EV-DO for CDMA networks). You will just get charged for whatever data usage you rack up.

You can try it if you like, but you have another problem you need to solve first-why you're not on EDGE to begin with. Try going into Manage Connections and then go to Mobile Network Options. In that window make sure Data Services is set to "On", or at least "Off when roaming". For example if I have my data services turned off, my phone displays "1xev" non-capital letters, meaning in laymans terms thats the best connection I can get minus data capability. If I have data capability, its 1XEV. If I have a slow data connection (bad signal or something) its 1X - which i would guess is the same as your 'edge' maybe?

Is your phone and plan frowned upon (as in something like my case-blackberry on prepaid)? Reason I ask is they usually try to get everyone on BIS and some even say they require it. If it was allowed by your carrier, call them up and ask them to enable EDGE and tell them you're aware that you'll be charged for data usage and would like to be put on the highspeed EDGE network.

If you decide to try this, DO back up your existing stuff first like the instructions say. In your situation you sound like you dont have much to loose, but it is still a good practice to proceed with this kind of thing in caution. Do you have the Browser icon on your device available to use? Mine was visible, but when I would click it, it would say it cant find the correct service books or whatever that famous error is. That fixed it. After I updated my Curve to the leaked 5.0 OS, I didn't even have the browser icon and my patch put it there AND let me on the network with it. Let me know how it works man!
    Yea actually my plan with my blackberry isn't a legit blackberry plan. No BIS, but I do have a basic unlimited data plan which gives me limited usage of all my apps and such. I tried your method, but my network still stayed on edge and didn't go onto EDGE. Also still stayed at 64 kb/s. I want to get that 400 kb/s haha.

12-13-09 05:41 PM
    Yea actually my plan with my blackberry isn't a legit blackberry plan. No BIS, but I do have a basic unlimited data plan which gives me limited usage of all my apps and such. I tried your method, but my network still stayed on edge and didn't go onto EDGE. Also still stayed at 64 kb/s. I want to get that 400 kb/s haha.

Let me ask you this: Did you gain anything with my patch? I.E Are you able to use the browser now, assuming you weren't able to before?

& 400 is a theoretical max speed I believe. Its usually around 320 tops from what Ive seen in real-world speed tests.

Im assuming you've pulled the battery out for 15 seconds or so and then started the phone back up. Is taking the phone in to your carriers shop and asking for help out of the question? I believe thats what you may need to do, as that may be largely out of your control. Thanks for trying my patch!
    12-13-09 06:00 PM
    Well, I always was able to use the browser. It was just so painstakingly slow because i dont use EDGE. I didnt get a blackberry plan at all so im stuck on edge. Is it possible with this patch to get onto EDGE??
    12-13-09 07:00 PM
    Is it possible with this patch to get onto EDGE??
    You can use the RESULT of this patch on EDGE, but this will not get you EDGE. It has nothing to do with the type of service you have. Plain and Simple, all this patch does it re-route outbound data through TCP rather than trying to go through the BIS servers. Basically, If your browser works, dont bother with this patch.
    12-13-09 07:37 PM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD