Android surpasses BlackBerry as No. 1 U.S. smartphone OS - Mar. 7, 2011

As of today Google leads BlackBerry 31.2% to 30.4% and I believe RIM is going to lose more ground unless they begin looking at the non business market seriously. If they are counting on the Playbook to change things I feel they are mistaken. I think they were wrong to go with a 7" tablet when others are going in the direction of the iPad at 10".
    03-07-11 03:34 PM
    The key is the graphic in the center. Observe what happens when you view the same graphic with a different perspective:

Visualized: US smartphone market share, by manufacturer and platform, made pretty

Bottom line is, "Android" is not a company, but a category. All that "Android" sales revenue is not going to one company. You have a bunch of competing hardware companies splitting the revenue, and Google only gets a licensing fee. Really, that graphic really puts in to relief the fact that the smartphone market remains largely a 2 horse race between RIM and Apple, the only players with a unified platform/hardware offering. All other companies belong in the "other" category.

Chris
    umm looking at it that way is rather silly. but if I was a fan of a company that lost 5 points of market share in the USA in three months, I would be grasping for straws too. your "horse" is racing backwards.
    Last edited by dutchtender; 03-07-11 at 04:15 PM.
    03-07-11 04:10 PM
    "Nielsen also says that a higher percentage Android users fall into a younger age group (8 percent) vs RIM (4 percent) and Apple (4 percent)."

Wait, you mean to tell me that more younger people use Android and that's it's not a platform just for sophisticated techies?
    you also have to consider that android makers have cheaper phones too which might help.
    03-07-11 05:51 PM
    umm looking at it that way is rather silly. but if I was a fan of a company that lost 5 points of market share in the USA in three months, I would be grasping for straws too. your "horse" is racing backwards.
    Yyyyaaaaaawwwwwwnnnnnnn. Is record sales for the year grasping at straws too?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-07-11 07:31 PM
    You people crack me up!

03-07-11 11:07 PM
    Android is number 1, blackberry lost 5 points, blah blah blah...who f#cking cares.

03-09-11 12:17 AM
    Android is number 1, blackberry lost 5 points, blah blah blah...who f#cking cares.
    Those of us who are interested in reading these news stories?

If you don't care, then why click on the thread, why read it and why post here in it?
    03-09-11 01:06 AM
    Guess we'll find out in a few months when sales numbers start getting released... regardless both Apple and RIM will make more per tablet sold than the first Google Honeycomb reference tablet will. Especially after everyone and their Chiwanese brother starts selling/competing with each other for tablet market share.
    Your PB is made by the same factories that make the other tabs and contain the same parts, so you can get over making statements like that.
    03-09-11 01:46 AM
    Those of us who are interested in reading these news stories?

If you don't care, then why click on the thread, why read it and why post here in it?
    I don't know. I myself care a little bit. I appologize and it was a little imature to leave a reply like that.

03-09-11 05:12 AM
    Your PB is made by the same factories that make the other tabs and contain the same parts, so you can get over making statements like that.

Ummm not entirely true.

Though the assembly plants are often the same, as there are not that many of them, the components are purchased by the person who contracts the build, hence why we have different RAM manufacturers, and SoC's and Screen manufacturers in devices all coming out of the same Assembly facilities.

It can go even as much as to the type of Plastic being used for the shells, or the gauge of Steel being used in the framing, those specifications can change dramatically from Contract to Contract and the assembly plants are good at sticking to specifications.
    03-09-11 05:39 AM
    Having used all three, I'll say this much -- having different manufacturers create devices for Android phones has made it far, far superior than RIM produced devices. The competition has led these manufacturers to product cutting edge technology in nice hardware at reasonable prices. Sure there are some issues but you have the ability to choose what you want.

My huge problem with RIM - like Palm, they always gave you what you wanted 6 months ago or more. I remember getting the 8830 and thinking "how can you even run this thing with such little RAM?" I was right as my emails would disappear with just a couple of apps in memory. I got the 8330 - enough to last but certainly not roomy at all. And in the past years, the Curve has received extremely modest increases every year... Case in point... the Verizon Blackberry 9330 3G - how pathetic does it get? My TREO... a device gone for YEARS... had better resolution.

I'm not here to rip on RIM. It's just an unfortunate fact that as they skimp on hardware, consumers choose to go elsewhere and get more for their money. At this point RIM's bread and butter business customers are beginning to implement the iPHone to a small degree and Android is making serious entry into RIM's space. And as much as the Droid Pro stinks with 480x360 resolution, it still blows away the Curve, meets and exceeds the Torch and is on its way to making a serious run at RIM's best email hardware market share.

Just some thoughts. I certainly hope RIM gets it together in time.
    K Bear likes this.
    03-14-11 12:25 AM
    My huge problem with RIM - like Palm, they always gave you what you wanted 6 months ago or more. I remember getting the 8830 and thinking "how can you even run this thing with such little RAM?" I was right as my emails would disappear with just a couple of apps in memory. I got the 8330 - enough to last but certainly not roomy at all. And in the past years, the Curve has received extremely modest increases every year... Case in point... the Verizon Blackberry 9330 3G - how pathetic does it get? My TREO... a device gone for YEARS... had better resolution.

I'm not here to rip on RIM. It's just an unfortunate fact that as they skimp on hardware, consumers choose to go elsewhere and get more for their money. At this point RIM's bread and butter business customers are beginning to implement the iPHone to a small degree and Android is making serious entry into RIM's space. And as much as the Droid Pro stinks with 480x360 resolution, it still blows away the Curve, meets and exceeds the Torch and is on its way to making a serious run at RIM's best email hardware market share.

Just some thoughts. I certainly hope RIM gets it together in time.
    I have to agree with you. Since BlackBerry was my first and only smartphone I can't compare it with any other. However I've said for a long time that they need to give you more ram. My first was the 8320 and I couldn't put anything other than the native apps. Now with the 9700 and OS6 I am in the similar situation. To me it seems that RIM is mainly interested in the corporate customer and until they realize there are those of us who don't work for a company with a BES and yet want to use a BB will they be a real competitor. I feel they should look into setting up a separate group to concentrate on the non business customer. I currently have a contract with TMO that will end in November and I will take a serious look at other phones and platforms.
    03-14-11 05:47 AM
    Today I spoke to an government IT professional with the DOD and they do not allow BB's within the pentagon any longer. They are all moving to other devices, mainly apple he said
    Just had my CPR rectification class tonight. All for of the instructors were EMTs and/or firefighters. All for of them had Android devices.
    03-15-11 08:49 PM
    I just spoke to Jerry Seinfeld today, and he said Bill Gates really isn't such a bad guy. Really!

My God, I have not seen so much bullsh!t flying around since Clinton was in the White House.
    03-15-11 09:42 PM
    After spending a good two weeks with my Thunderbolt (yes, employees do get a few perks), it is leaps and bounds ahead of anything Apple or RIM has ever produced.
    03-18-11 08:17 PM
65 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD