This is the latest from Google:

�The apps were removed from the Market, developer accounts banned and law enforcement notified.
    �Google is remotely removing the malicious applications from infected phones. (That's a feature Google has its disposal, and has used in the past.)
    �Google is pushing an update to undo the security exploits that allowed these malicious apps to work in the first place.
    �Google is "adding a number of measures to help prevent additional malicious applications using similar exploits from being distributed through Android Market."

"A couple things to note here: If you are running Android 2.2.2 or higher, you don't have these security vulnerabilities. If you were affected, you'll be getting an e-mail from Google ([email protected]) explaining things, and you'll be getting an Android Market Security Tool 2011 app to patch the exploits."

Google pulled the plug on these apps within 5 minutes of being notified they had malicious content. RIM's had how long to deal with JaredCo?
    Thank you for the correction. Funny how Google moved quickly to boot the offender and offending app, yet RIM continues to make money from the Jarred Co. How secure is a Blackberry when malicious apps are not addressed in AppWorld? You'd think a company that prides itself on security of their devices would move as fast as Google did. Just food for thought.
    03-06-11 02:22 PM
    Thank you for the correction. Funny how Google moved quickly to boot the offender and offending app, yet RIM continues to make money from the Jarred Co. How secure is a Blackberry when malicious apps are not addressed in AppWorld? You'd think a company that prides itself on security of their devices would move as fast as Google did. Just food for thought.
    I have had 2 JaredCo apps and neither of them have ever spammed anybody. A user has to allow it to have access and use those functions. I don't, so it's never been a problem for me. I'm not sure how those programs worked on the Android OS, but the JaredCo programs aren't/weren't malicious. They just take advantage of stupid users.
    03-06-11 02:54 PM
    I have had 2 JaredCo apps and neither of them have ever spammed anybody. A user has to allow it to have access and use those functions. I don't, so it's never been a problem for me. I'm not sure how those programs worked on the Android OS, but the JaredCo programs aren't/weren't malicious. They just take advantage of stupid users.
    The majority of issues have stemmed from people downloading form untrusted sources, ie. not from the Market. Whenever a malicious app has come into the Market Google had moved quickly to punish the author and rid users of the malicious app. You are correct that it is user error that exposes a device to exploitation regardless of platform. The issue is that you should be able to trust your platform's app market. App authors should not be allowed to sell apps that can compromise users info. Just because you may not have an issue with the Jarred Co., doesn't mean that others who trusted apps from RIM's App World to have been screened and deemed user safe to trust with allowing the level of access that could be used for exploitation.
    03-06-11 03:07 PM
    the JaredCo programs aren't/weren't malicious. They just take advantage of stupid users.
    So taking your contact information and spamming those contacts isn't malicious?

MOST users don't go thru all the permissions and allow/deny. They generally download, click Allow All (assuming it's safe) and go about their merry way. Good on you if you take the time to do it..but i'd say 90% of users don't. Does this make users stupid? Possibly..but as 'ol Dubya once said
    "There's an old saying in Tennessee � I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee � that says, fool me once, shame on � shame on you. Fool me � you can't get fooled again."
    03-06-11 03:13 PM
    How is it that 40% of BB users are jumping ship to Android, but they're still recording record shipments?

Either way, I love how you automatically jump to it being a "jaded BB fanboy" thing.

You're automatically jumping to a defensive position. Why would you need to be defensive about the godsend of OSs? It sure seems that you guys get all jumpy when someone says it's not growing as much, and that people aren't liking it as much as you think.

Either way, I think as the smartphone boom slows (and that's really what's to blame for the expansive Android increases) that the Android boom will also slow. However, despite what you might say, Apple and RIM will continue to do as well as they have. That may still be by all accounts behind a single OS, but not a single phone manufacturer.
    Android dominates Verizon smartphone sales; BlackBerry tanks | BGR

In before somebody tries to dispute the Verizon's "sales" numbers.
    03-06-11 04:15 PM
    I think Android will gain in market share a little this year, but nowhere close to what they did last year. Why? Verizon is now carrying the iPhone. Before Verizon customers only had BB & Android devices. Now the i4 is here for big red. And when Apple releases their newest iPhone this year, lots of Android users are going to be switching over. AT&T hasn't had a huge Android selection, and while T-Mobile has more, Verizon has had the most, accounting for most of their growth in market share. Again, iOS on Verizon will nip a lot of their market share growth in the ****. IMHO.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I guess you missed the announcement where AT&T was going to introduce 12 Android smartphones this year to make up for losing iPhone exclusivity. Much of their "4G" campaign is focused on their new Android lineup. They already came out guns blazing with the top Android phone in the Atrix. Then there's the Inspire. Then the Samsung Infuse. Verizon gaining the iPhone would've tipped the scales if AT&T hadn't made a big commitment to Android.
    03-06-11 04:24 PM
    I guess you missed the announcement where AT&T was going to introduce 12 Android smartphones this year to make up for losing iPhone exclusivity. Much of their "4G" campaign is focused on their new Android lineup. They already came out guns blazing with the top Android phone in the Atrix. Then there's the Inspire. Then the Samsung Infuse. Verizon gaining the iPhone would've tipped the scales if AT&T hadn't made a big commitment to Android.
    This doesn't really matter. The Atrix has sold poorly for AT&T and regardless how much the main 3 manufacturers(Sammy, HTC & Moto) flood AT&T, the iPhone & BlackBerry will dominate the majority AT&T sales.

Back to the point at hand, most Verizon users purchased Android devices because they didn't want BlackBerry's & the iPhone wasn't available. Yes Android has some loyal followers, but no Android phone has sold as much in the first week as the iPhone. Either way, the availability of the iPhone on Verizon will decrease Android sales on said carrier. Many Verizon customers are waiting on the new model later this year.

Will Android gain more market share? Yes. But it will not approach the same figures as last year. For instance, the iPad2 will easily sale more on Verizon than the Android equipped Xoom. And it has a month head start.
    03-06-11 05:12 PM
    This doesn't really matter. The Atrix has sold poorly for AT&T and regardless how much the main 3 manufacturers(Sammy, HTC & Moto) flood AT&T, the iPhone & BlackBerry will dominate the majority AT&T sales.

Back to the point at hand, most Verizon users purchased Android devices because they didn't want BlackBerry's & the iPhone wasn't available. Yes Android has some loyal followers, but no Android phone has sold as much in the first week as the iPhone. Either way, the availability of the iPhone on Verizon will decrease Android sales on said carrier. Many Verizon customers are waiting on the new model later this year.

Will Android gain more market share? Yes. But it will not approach the same figures as last year. For instance, the iPad2 will easily sale more on Verizon than the Android equipped Xoom. And it has a month head start.
    I agree. I have yet to see someone on AT&T even think about an android phone over an iPhone, and everyone I know who had an Incredible or Droid X is selling it for the iPhone, or at least trying to.

EDIT: also, does that mean Verizon is getting the iPhone 5 the same time AT&T is?
    Last edited by Snipperdo17; 03-06-11 at 05:24 PM.
    03-06-11 05:20 PM
    I agree. I have yet to see someone on AT&T even think about an android phone over an iPhone, and everyone I know who had an Incredible or Droid X is selling it for the iPhone, or at least trying to.

EDIT: also, does that mean Verizon is getting the iPhone 5 the same time AT&T is?
    Yessir they are supposed to.
    03-06-11 05:42 PM

The Xoom will fail because it's overpriced. The hardware and software are bettet than the iPad, but the price will hamper sales majorly.
    03-06-11 06:16 PM
    The problem is with the carrier. AT&T though the #2 US carrier had no real signature devices since they lost exclusivity of iPhone. Verizon was in the a similar situation when the Storm series went burst. Verizon filled the gap with Motorola Droid. Sprint came back from the near dead with the HTC Evo. T-Mobile even had the original Android G1 as a signature device which now is the G2. AT&T has the Torch. AT&T needs RIM our Android to be their signature device.
    03-06-11 06:25 PM
    The Xoom will fail because it's overpriced. The hardware and software are bettet than the iPad, but the price will hamper sales majorly.
    It's a little pricey, but it will not fail. It's a helluva device.
    03-06-11 06:32 PM
    Ever hear of the Jarred Co.? RIM is doing such a great job protecting their customers from their malware. Last I checked, you can still download apps from the Jarred Co. through App World right now, while Google has not removed malware from the Market but have removed the offending apps from users devices along with pushing security fixes to older devices (2.1 & earlier).
    what do you say to the 4000+ book apps by one developer who is taking free books by other authors and selling them? ... of course RIM is not going to do anything because they only have 20k apps and kicking out that one app developer would drop them to 16k app
    03-06-11 06:33 PM
    The key is the graphic in the center. Observe what happens when you view the same graphic with a different perspective:

Visualized: US smartphone market share, by manufacturer and platform, made pretty

Bottom line is, "Android" is not a company, but a category. All that "Android" sales revenue is not going to one company. You have a bunch of competing hardware companies splitting the revenue, and Google only gets a licensing fee. Really, that graphic really puts in to relief the fact that the smartphone market remains largely a 2 horse race between RIM and Apple, the only players with a unified platform/hardware offering. All other companies belong in the "other" category.

Chris
    Last edited by cwong15; 03-06-11 at 07:20 PM.
    03-06-11 07:17 PM
    It's a little pricey, but it will not fail. It's a helluva device.
    Guess we'll find out in a few months when sales numbers start getting released... regardless both Apple and RIM will make more per tablet sold than the first Google Honeycomb reference tablet will. Especially after everyone and their Chiwanese brother starts selling/competing with each other for tablet market share.
    03-06-11 07:28 PM

What about BB users on AT&T who have been waiting for a legit Android device? AT&T made a huge deal about Android at CES for good reason: they're going head to head with Verizon on iPhone and Android. I doubt their flagship phone outside of the iPhone will be the Torch or any 2011 BB device (please don't even try to dispute this). There's a reason Verizon's sales in 2010 were mostly Android and not BB. One's very competitive and the other isn't. Their sales numbers don't lie and AT&T knows this (so does Nokia).

This isn't also including T-Mobile and Sprint users who will get new Android phones this year - a good chunk of which will be giving up their BB to do so.

And no, this isn't bashing RIM.
    03-06-11 09:07 PM
    The problem is with the carrier. AT&T though the #2 US carrier had no real signature devices since they lost exclusivity of iPhone. Verizon was in the a similar situation when the Storm series went burst. Verizon filled the gap with Motorola Droid. Sprint came back from the near dead with the HTC Evo. T-Mobile even had the original Android G1 as a signature device which now is the G2. AT&T has the Torch. AT&T needs RIM our Android to be their signature device.
    I'm repeating my reply to CX, but I truly doubt AT&T's flagship phone outside of the iPhone is or will be a BB device (I don't think there's any smartphone analyst or industry insider who thinks so). They had very good reason to make a splash at CES with 3 high-end Android devices right off the bat, along with their plan for 9 more unannounced Android phones (I think two of those are HTC's Facebook phones). They're going head to head with Verizon on the two most competitive platforms: iOS and Android. This is Nokia's stance as well.

In terms of one signature device outside of the iPhone for AT&T, I don't think that'll exist. Sprint and T-Mobile sell plenty of Android phones outside of the Evo and G-2. Same with Verizon and their Droid lineup. I think AT&T will take the same route. I don't think anybody will be able to recognize a signature Android device out of their 2011 lineup. Could be the Infuse?
    03-06-11 09:22 PM
    @ Alby4ever
    WTF are you smoking about Nokia, while I may not entirely agree with your 2 above posts in terms of Android on AT&T, you could very well be right on that front, but I don't understand what the heck you're talking about Nokia for and Android in the same sentence, you're talking about Nokia in the same perspective as a Carrier, not a manufacturer. and as a Manufacturer Nokia has nothing to do with Android.

AT&T is going to push the iPhone HARD, they are going to leverage Talk/Surf simultaneously on the GSM network
    Verizon is going to push the iPhone HARD, leveraging their network, and there coverage as per usual,

Android Phones will be back burners, and heavily depending on the next crop of RIM phones, they too will be on back burners, but I don't think they are going to be any further back than the Android phones, AT&T needed to make a splash about something, and the Android hardware was something great and new for them to show, it's not like RIM had anything they could be showing off on AT&T's behalf.
    It's going to be a mixed bag in 2011 and that mixed bag is going to be half full of apples for both carriers
    03-07-11 05:07 AM
    @ Alby4ever
    WTF are you smoking about Nokia, while I may not entirely agree with your 2 above posts in terms of Android on AT&T, you could very well be right on that front, but I don't understand what the heck you're talking about Nokia for and Android in the same sentence, you're talking about Nokia in the same perspective as a Carrier, not a manufacturer. and as a Manufacturer Nokia has nothing to do with Android.
    I meant Nokia recognizing iOS and Android as the two most competitive platforms. Weak relation to carriers, I know it is.
    03-07-11 10:21 AM
    I meant Nokia recognizing iOS and Android as the two most competitive platforms. Weak relation to carriers, I know it is.
    Right and they are going to be abandoning Symbian smart phones which they were selling more of globally than iOS or Android and start pushing WinMo7 . Same WinMo7 that can't upgrade reliably on Samsung without bricking the phone and same WinMo7 might be able to multitask sometime in 2012. I think WinMo7 will be just like the previous Windows phone OS's, a non-factor in the grand scheme of things! Go Microkia!!!
    03-07-11 10:58 AM
    Right and they are going to be abandoning Symbian smart phones which they were selling more of globally than iOS or Android and start pushing WinMo7 . Same WinMo7 that can't upgrade reliably on Samsung without bricking the phone and same WinMo7 might be able to multitask sometime in 2012. I think WinMo7 will be just like the previous Windows phone OS's, a non-factor in the grand scheme of things! Go Microkia!!!
    3rd-world markets FTW!
    03-07-11 12:09 PM
    3rd-world markets FTW!
    Symbian has/had the largest share of phones in the EU5. I don't think Europe is third world.
    03-07-11 12:26 PM
    3rd-world markets FTW!
    Energing markets are not 3rd world markets. You make it sound like they're pushing their wares off the back of wheat trucks in Ethiopia. Don't be such a snob.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    grover5 likes this.
    03-07-11 12:46 PM
    Android dominates Verizon smartphone sales; BlackBerry tanks | BGR

In before somebody tries to dispute the Verizon's "sales" numbers.
    That graph is awesome, but leaves out some important details, like the number of units sold. You're looking at at time frame that goes over probably a tripeling of the number of smartphones on the market. When that graph starts nobody had a smartphone and hardly anybody wanted one. Now you're seeing record sales and everyone wants one. So, much to my point that the number of units sold is still record, that graph isn't very detailed as we don't know much about units sold.

It says plenty that in "emerging markets" the Droid isn't as popular. Those people don't want a phone with low battery life just so they can play Need For Speed. They're not like the obessive consumers in America who have to have the greatest and best and it has to be fun and exciting, even if it's not especially functional. That's what drives Android market share in the US.

It's easy to turn this into a debate over so many things, but it all comes down to who wants what in an OS. BB does something different than Android. I've tried Android and it's not nearly as condusive to what I do and like on a cell phone (I want a totally minimalistic look, while making messaging via email and SMS as easy and quick as possible). Everyone is different though.
    03-07-11 01:13 PM
    So CX what is your prediction as far as the landscape with at&t and verizon once Qnx is on hh? For blackberry
    L
    03-07-11 02:12 PM
65 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD