Nielsen: Android Pulls Ahead Of RIM And iOS For U.S. Smartphone Share

Nielsen has just released new data on U.S. smartphone share. According to the report, smartphone powered by Android operating systems (29 percent) is pulling ahead of RIM�s Blackberry (27 percent) and Apple iOS (27 percent).

But Nielsen says that because RIM and Apple create and sell their own smartphones with their operating systems, these companies are actually in a better position in the three-way race (in terms of device manfuacturers). Because Google licenses its OS to device manufacturers, the Android ecosystem is more fragmented.

In terms of the break down of Android OS ,12 percent of Android smartphone owners having an HTC device, with Motorola following behind with ten percent share. Samsung comes in third with five percent. and 7 percent owning an HTC device running a Microsoft OS.

Nielsen also says that a higher percentage Android users fall into a younger age group (8 percent) vs RIM (4 percent) and Apple (4 percent). Over the past few months, Nielsen has consistently reported Android�s growth as a smartphone operating system. And other research firms have released similar data as well. But as Nielsen says in this report, RIM, Apple and Android are still neck-in-neck, so it�s a close game where anyone can pull ahead.
    03-03-11 09:06 AM
    Nielsen: Android Pulls Ahead Of RIM And iOS For U.S. Smartphone Share

Nielsen has just released new data on U.S. smartphone share. According to the report, smartphone powered by Android operating systems (29 percent) is pulling ahead of RIM�s Blackberry (27 percent) and Apple iOS (27 percent).

But Nielsen says that because RIM and Apple create and sell their own smartphones with their operating systems, these companies are actually in a better position in the three-way race (in terms of device manfuacturers). Because Google licenses its OS to device manufacturers, the Android ecosystem is more fragmented.

In terms of the break down of Android OS ,12 percent of Android smartphone owners having an HTC device, with Motorola following behind with ten percent share. Samsung comes in third with five percent. and 7 percent owning an HTC device running a Microsoft OS.

Nielsen also says that a higher percentage Android users fall into a younger age group (8 percent) vs RIM (4 percent) and Apple (4 percent). Over the past few months, Nielsen has consistently reported Android�s growth as a smartphone operating system. And other research firms have released similar data as well. But as Nielsen says in this report, RIM, Apple and Android are still neck-in-neck, so it�s a close game where anyone can pull ahead.
    Say what? How is that an Android device?
    03-03-11 09:09 AM
    The key comment
    03-03-11 09:18 AM
    "Nielsen also says that a higher percentage Android users fall into a younger age group (8 percent) vs RIM (4 percent) and Apple (4 percent)."

Wait, you mean to tell me that more younger people use Android and that's it's not a platform just for sophisticated techies?
    K Bear likes this.
    03-03-11 09:31 AM
    Don't forget that most of androids growth has been in One year. If they experience even half the rate of growth this year, imagine what those numbers will look like soon.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-03-11 11:35 AM
    Don't forget that most of androids growth has been in One year. If they experience even half the rate of growth this year, imagine what those numbers will look like soon.

Don't forget that they experienced that kind of astronomical growth because it wasn't around for most of the year before. You really think Android is going to see 800% market share growth again? 400%? 100%? Seriously.

03-04-11 12:47 PM
    All solvent companies grow the first year - there's nowhere to go but to grow. Of course there was growth.
    The explosive growth is to be expected when multiple manufacturers utilise the same platform. No surprise. Question is, will it sustain that level of growth. I'm betting no.

03-04-11 01:15 PM
    Don't forget that they experienced that kind of astronomical growth because it wasn't around for most of the year before. You really think Android is going to see 800% market share growth again? 400%? 100%? Seriously.

Sure their growth percentage will fall, but one should also look at the shear number of devices that were sold. They went from practically nothing to the biggest smartphone platform in the US in one year. That's a lot different than saying they went from 100 to 800 and claiming an 800% growth. Like it or not, they sold a boat load of phones.

03-04-11 01:27 PM
    Out of all this Apple is much more impressive than Android. They got 27% with a single phone. Android is a bunch of manufacturers making everything from bargain basement smartphones, to high end devices. RIM and Apple will make much more from their respective 27% than any manufacturer putting out Android phones.
    howarmat and Ferretling like this.
    03-04-11 02:13 PM
    Sure their growth percentage will fall, but one should also look at the shear number of devices that were sold. They went from practically nothing to the biggest smartphone platform in the US in one year. That's a lot different than saying they went from 100 to 800 and claiming an 800% growth. Like it or not, they sold a boat load of phones.

No question about Android's explosive arrival in the market, and no matter how you look at it, it's quite remarkable. The point is, it isn't going to see anywhere near that kind of growth again this year. Yes, they'll sell an a$$load more devices, but so will the rest of them (except Nokia). Talking specifically about volumes, all of them should continue to see significant growth as more and more users move up from 'dumb' phones. I think Androids and iOS will continue to take market share from RIM, and Android may even start putting a dent in Apple's share, but in smaller nibbles that are nothing close to the monster bites of last year. JMHO.

But again, as the point was made in the article linked In the OP, I really question the value of measuring the market share of OS's vs. Market share of the hardware manufacturers. It's an interesting horserace to watch, but there's never going to be one clear, decisive winner because, well, there's really no clear and decisive finish line.

03-04-11 02:24 PM

Most of the people who wanted an Android device already have one.
    Not only that, but there are a lot of people who made the jump and are now thinking about dumping their Android...

Do you secretly want an iPhone behind your Android’s back? : Online Social Media
    A full one third of Android owners polled said they want an iPhone. How many more want a BB, HP or WP7 phone?

I predict very little growth for Android in 2011.
    Last edited by Jake Storm; 03-04-11 at 02:30 PM.
    03-04-11 02:28 PM
    Not only that, but there are a lot of people who made the jump and are now thinking about dumping their Android...

Do you secretly want an iPhone behind your Android’s back? : Online Social Media
    A full one third of Android owners polled said they want an iPhone. How many more want a BB, HP or WP7 phone?

LOL. Great source you used there. Anything to help you sleep at night.

Funny how when many legit news outlets said 40% of BB users were jumping ship to Android, you guys pounced on it and tried to dispute the smallest details. The pathetic behavior of jaded BB fanboys continues I guess.

Anyways. RIM will continue to lose marketshare at a tremendous rate this year. If OS 6.1 brings something new to the table, I'd like to know. It doesn't. There are still large numbers of BB users who are waiting for their next upgrade to jump ship, which is why their current marketshare number is as high as it is. And, like virtually every analyst is predicting, Android will pull ahead this year as the smartphone OS leader. Not sure where you're getting your logic. But whatever helps you sleep at night.
    Last edited by alby4ever; 03-04-11 at 03:24 PM.
    K Bear likes this.
    03-04-11 03:21 PM

Do you secretly want an iPhone behind your Android�s back? : Online Social Media

Agreed the only really growth i see for android this might be for newer dual core cpu powered devices and or tablets.
    03-04-11 03:26 PM
    I highly doubt Android will have "little" growth this year. I do not think it will be as high as it was last year, but I'm guessing around half of that.
    03-04-11 03:27 PM

Funny how when many legit news outlets said 40% of BB users were jumping ship to Android, you guys pounced on it and tried to dispute the smallest details. The pathetic behavior of jaded BB fanboys continues I guess.
    As does your incessant bashing of anyone who prefers their BB over your beloved Android. It is not welcome here. Your opinion doesn't count any more than anyoner else's.

03-04-11 03:37 PM
    03-04-11 05:27 PM
    Yawn! I like what I like, you like what you like. I've never made a decision in my life based on a poll.
    Now, let's all try and politely tell each other what we think.
    K Bear and BlackStormRising like this.
    03-04-11 05:29 PM
    Yawn! I like what I like, you like what you like. I've never made a decision in my life based on a poll.
    I think I might have.....in high school.
    03-06-11 05:23 AM
    Ever hear of the Jarred Co.? RIM is doing such a great job protecting their customers from their malware. Last I checked, you can still download apps from the Jarred Co. through App World right now, while Google has not removed malware from the Market but have removed the offending apps from users devices along with pushing security fixes to older devices (2.1 & earlier).
    03-06-11 10:18 AM
    Yeah, that's ridiculous that RIM still has more than a dozen apps in AppWorld. A lot of people are having their contacts spammed and that's unforgivable.
    Luckily there isn't anything opening up your system and installing unknown code.

03-06-11 11:12 AM
    Last I checked, you can still download apps from the Jarred Co. through App World right now, while Google has not removed malware from the Market but have removed the offending apps from users devices along with pushing security fixes to older devices (2.1 & earlier).
    This is the latest from Google:

�The apps were removed from the Market, developer accounts banned and law enforcement notified.
    �Google is remotely removing the malicious applications from infected phones. (That's a feature Google has its disposal, and has used in the past.)
    �Google is pushing an update to undo the security exploits that allowed these malicious apps to work in the first place.
    �Google is "adding a number of measures to help prevent additional malicious applications using similar exploits from being distributed through Android Market."

"A couple things to note here: If you are running Android 2.2.2 or higher, you don't have these security vulnerabilities. If you were affected, you'll be getting an e-mail from Google ([email protected]) explaining things, and you'll be getting an Android Market Security Tool 2011 app to patch the exploits."

Google pulled the plug on these apps within 5 minutes of being notified they had malicious content. RIM's had how long to deal with JaredCo?
    03-06-11 11:30 AM
    I think Android will gain in market share a little this year, but nowhere close to what they did last year. Why? Verizon is now carrying the iPhone. Before Verizon customers only had BB & Android devices. Now the i4 is here for big red. And when Apple releases their newest iPhone this year, lots of Android users are going to be switching over. AT&T hasn't had a huge Android selection, and while T-Mobile has more, Verizon has had the most, accounting for most of their growth in market share. Again, iOS on Verizon will nip a lot of their market share growth in the ****. IMHO.

03-06-11 11:33 AM
    I think Android will gain in market share a little this year, but nowhere close to what they did last year. Why? Verizon is now carrying the iPhone. Before Verizon customers only had BB & Android devices. Now the i4 is here for big red. And when Apple releases their newest iPhone this year, lots of Android users are going to be switching over. AT&T hasn't had a huge Android selection, and while T-Mobile has more, Verizon has had the most, accounting for most of their growth in market share. Again, iOS on Verizon will nip a lot of their market share growth in the ****. IMHO.

I would be somewhat surprised if Apple did take much of a bite out of Android sales. I mean there are a bunch of Apple fanatics, but there are a lot that absolutely detest Apple and their decisions such as how tightly they lock down their devices, their lack of flash and commentary about not to look for it on Apple devices in the future either.

I suspect Apple will take more share away from RIM than they will take away from Android. I would be very surprised if Android didn't continue with strong numbers. Maybe not as strong as last year but definitely remaining a force to be reckoned with in the world of smartphones.
    03-06-11 12:06 PM

How is it that 40% of BB users are jumping ship to Android, but they're still recording record shipments?

Either way, I love how you automatically jump to it being a "jaded BB fanboy" thing.

You're automatically jumping to a defensive position. Why would you need to be defensive about the godsend of OSs? It sure seems that you guys get all jumpy when someone says it's not growing as much, and that people aren't liking it as much as you think.

Either way, I think as the smartphone boom slows (and that's really what's to blame for the expansive Android increases) that the Android boom will also slow. However, despite what you might say, Apple and RIM will continue to do as well as they have. That may still be by all accounts behind a single OS, but not a single phone manufacturer.
    03-06-11 02:13 PM
    I would be somewhat surprised if Apple did take much of a bite out of Android sales. I mean there are a bunch of Apple fanatics, but there are a lot that absolutely detest Apple and their decisions such as how tightly they lock down their devices, their lack of flash and commentary about not to look for it on Apple devices in the future either.

I suspect Apple will take more share away from RIM than they will take away from Android. I would be very surprised if Android didn't continue with strong numbers. Maybe not as strong as last year but definitely remaining a force to be reckoned with in the world of smartphones.
    I agree with al of these points. I think iOS is more mature and Android hasn't seen the end of this initial growth spurt, so Android is going to continue taking more market share from RIM than Apple will - but at a much slower pace than last year. RIM's biggest problem will be getting new phones out so late in the year, which is going to allow the others to keep eating into its share. As long as RIM can continue selling more devices year-over-year, which they should be able to do, they should be in good shape regain some lost geound when the new BB's drop.

03-06-11 02:19 PM
65 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD