Could this be Rims second wind?

From article...

Nielsen's Mobile Insights survey for May through July showed 40 percent of all smartphones in the U.S. ran Android, while 28 percent were iPhones. RIM made up 19 percent of phones in consumers' hands. Just last November, it held 26.1 percent of the market.

However, the class of consumers that Nielsen calls "Innovators," the self-described earliest adopters of new products, were the most interested in buying a BlackBerry as their next smartphone. In survey results from consumers likely to buy a smartphone in the next year, 11 percent of Innovators named BlackBerry as the most likely OS they'll seek out, a bigger percentage than for any other group of shoppers

Nielsen: Android Grows, RIM Draws Attention | PCWorld
    Guatiao and MrObvious like this.
    09-03-11 10:24 PM
    Now that is a positive article! Positive news! I LIKE POSITIVES!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-03-11 10:37 PM
  3. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    wait till the results from the new Bold 9900 / 9930 are taken into consideration ...
    it will be very amazing! ...
    09-03-11 10:46 PM
    I am really intereted to see these QNX phones and I hope they are well received by everyone for RIM`s sake.

Until then I`ll be rocking my Bold 9900!
    09-03-11 11:48 PM
    Rim needs to move fast on this they are laying off in a booming industry and that's not a good sign! If they don't make the proper moves quickly apple and android could put them out of business in a few years. I hope they make the necessary changes to be #1 again.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    09-04-11 11:20 PM
    This good news as any non negative news is good news right about now.

I went to a VZ store in south NJ early morning and they only had one new bold touch. The rep said it was for display but they sold all of them soo fast they decided to not put it on display and sell it. It was boxed on top of his table ready for the next person who wanted one.
    09-05-11 07:55 AM
    Now that is a positive article! Positive news! I LIKE POSITIVES!!

Here is another positive...Apple down 8% and RIM up 4% in the UK

Android market share doubles while apple ios falls eight per cent- The Inquirer
    09-05-11 08:00 AM
    Here is another positive...Apple down 8% and RIM up 4% in the UK

Android market share doubles while apple ios falls eight per cent- The Inquirer
    I think any drop in iPhone sales right now is going to be due to the expected arrival of iP5 soon. Nonetheless, RIM's timing was good to get the new BBs out when they did, because sales growth is always going to be positively received, no matter what the reason.
    09-05-11 08:07 AM
    You guys are quite optimistic. I'd say let's wait for RIM's Q4 and Q1 results to see which way the wind blows.

This article is nothing but hot air, there's absolutely nothing in there.
    09-05-11 08:23 AM
    I think any drop in iPhone sales right now is going to be due to the expected arrival of iP5 soon. Nonetheless, RIM's timing was good to get the new BBs out when they did, because sales growth is always going to be positively received, no matter what the reason.
    IF you read the article that certainly isn't the case

they are doing a Year over year not quarter over quarter analysis

so Last year at this time the iPhone 4 had just been released, and people flocked to it.

What this data represents is that the UK smartphone market matured in 2010/2011 the growth rate of the market far out paced the balloon sales of the Apple iPhone, RIM had an amazing December 2010 having the #1 selling device in the UK, and Android has the multitude of devices.

I would bet Apple still sold a crazy amount of devices, and that when the iPhone 5 launches their will be a spike in market share, based on the UK's buying patterns over the last 2 years I would bet it wont be as substantial as in the US where Apple very much is the US baby.
    09-05-11 08:52 AM
    Rim needs to move fast on this they are laying off in a booming industry and that's not a good sign! If they don't make the proper moves quickly apple and android could put them out of business in a few years. I hope they make the necessary changes to be #1 again.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    Until Android works out its security issues, it will never be a threat. and there are many...
    Apple, till they get a decent spellcheck, will also have issues in business, but I do not doubt their ability to fix that.

QNX however, utilizing the android app player, on both the playbook and the new smartphones in the future, definiatly puts RIM in good spot, all they have to do is deliver.
    QNX already had a positive influence in many fields before RIM purchased them.
    09-06-11 12:07 AM
    Until Android works out its security issues, it will never be a threat. and there are many...
    Apple, till they get a decent spellcheck, will also have issues in business, but I do not doubt their ability to fix that.

QNX however, utilizing the android app player, on both the playbook and the new smartphones in the future, definiatly puts RIM in good spot, all they have to do is deliver.
    QNX already had a positive influence in many fields before RIM purchased them.
    i don't understand this argument whatsoever, ask any hacker or security expert, it isn't the platform that's insecure, it's apps, if you're going to say you have issues about android security, but then say you can't wait to get android apps on qnx, what is secure about that? you don't think android is a threat? it's almost 50% of the entire smartphone market. the security argument has it's place, but consumers simply don't care, any of you want to chime in and say WELL I DO, go ahead, you aren't a majority, or anything close to it. yes android has security issues, yes it's almost always the users fault, the platform itself is pretty good, but that being said, if it's the least secure, and best selling, facts are facts. enterprise alone isn't enough for RIM, and i could easily see the android app player being an extremely fun challenge for people wanting to get a crack at the blackberry platform.
    Last edited by katiepea; 09-09-11 at 06:55 PM.
    09-09-11 06:52 PM
    i don't understand this argument whatsoever, ask any hacker or security expert, it isn't the platform that's insecure, it's apps, if you're going to say you have issues about android security, but then say you can't wait to get android apps on qnx, what is secure about that? you don't think android is a threat? it's almost 50% of the entire smartphone market. the security argument has it's place, but consumers simply don't care, any of you want to chime in and say WELL I DO, go ahead, you aren't a majority, or anything close to it. yes android has security issues, yes it's almost always the users fault, the platform itself is pretty good, but that being said, if it's the least secure, and best selling, facts are facts. enterprise alone isn't enough for RIM, and i could easily see the android app player being an extremely fun challenge for people wanting to get a crack at the blackberry platform.
    QNX is a sandbox platform - so the Android App player can run in its own environment, but cannot affect anything outside of it. Also, keep in mind how the Android marketplace works - it is a wild west out there, where there are no rules for what kind of apps are submitted and accepted, so that's how malware apps get in. RIM generally doesn't allow this, they have to go through an app approval process (thus why IM+ and other apps have taken so long to gain approval) so they most likely won't get those kind of apps approved
    09-09-11 10:23 PM
    QNX is a sandbox platform - so the Android App player can run in its own environment, but cannot affect anything outside of it. Also, keep in mind how the Android marketplace works - it is a wild west out there, where there are no rules for what kind of apps are submitted and accepted, so that's how malware apps get in. RIM generally doesn't allow this, they have to go through an app approval process (thus why IM+ and other apps have taken so long to gain approval) so they most likely won't get those kind of apps approved
    i understand that it's like virtualization, but i have to say if apps can't affect outside of the player, that's going to diminish the quality of apps greatly, if not nearly entirely. a lot of what makes great apps great apps is integration into the system, with contacts, messaging, web browsing. so i think they will indeed be interacting with system api's, if not i would imagine a great deal of non functionality. all it takes is sending the user to a link for malware to happen, and we know blackberry's webkit browser is still vulnerable, regardless of that tho, google does put stipulations on apps submitted, they have actually even removed several big name developers accounts completely.
    09-09-11 10:29 PM
    I'm awaiting on QNX native apps.. so far, most talk revolves around virtual environments..

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
    09-09-11 10:34 PM
    i understand that it's like virtualization, but i have to say if apps can't affect outside of the player, that's going to diminish the quality of apps greatly, if not nearly entirely. a lot of what makes great apps great apps is integration into the system, with contacts, messaging, web browsing. so i think they will indeed be interacting with system api's, if not i would imagine a great deal of non functionality. all it takes is sending the user to a link for malware to happen, and we know blackberry's webkit browser is still vulnerable, regardless of that tho, google does put stipulations on apps submitted, they have actually even removed several big name developers accounts completely.
    I'm not saying they won't have access to system APIs, but the way QNX works, the Apps can't affect other processes.
    As for the WebKit browser vulnerability, that's on the OS6 code line - again different kernel operations than QNX so we don't know yet if that still has access to contact list information. Considering the PlayBook doesn't even have contacts yet I don't know what they would (if they did) have access to anything
    09-09-11 10:46 PM
    thats how it works in the pc world . pcs are faster now and can handle the virtualization alot better but really can a pHone? I want a full house of quality native core apps please!
    09-10-11 12:11 AM
    thats how it works in the pc world . pcs are faster now and can handle the virtualization alot better but really can a pHone? I want a full house of quality native core apps please!
    Good point really, rim should let the app player handle itself and only serve as a temporary bridge to get developers interested in making native apps

09-10-11 12:14 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD