Could 2013 finally be the year? After 7 years since the inception of the UMPC, HTC will be releasing a 7" Windows tablet with phone capabilities. This isn't unique as Samsung has been producing its Tab series tablets with this feature for the past 3 years. They have only come ready to use this way in Europe though many have gotten the feature to work in North America as well. This could be the first truly functional Windows tablet with decent battery life seeing it will be running the RT version of Windows 8.

This has me thinking. With Phablets reaching the 5.5" size in North America are the carriers finally willing to allow the larger 7" tablets to also make calls? If so this would not only open the door for Windows but for RIM as well. We have seen a few threads with a lot of excitement about the chance of RIM making a Phablet. I'm not sure a 7" tablet would fall into that category though.

Should RIM be getting a tablet with this feature ready now? I should say that it's possible that the current LTE PlayBook might already be capable. From the initial responce of people when the UMPC was first talked about, there seemed to be a large demand for it. Would you be interested in having this feature on your PlayBook? Here's to hoping for an all in one daily driver tablet.
    12-21-12 05:19 PM
    Not interested until RIM figures their ecosystem out fully. Nail that and then I'll be interested.
    12-21-12 06:50 PM
    Not interested until RIM figures their ecosystem out fully. Nail that and then I'll be interested.
    I am very interested in the 7 inch Phablet idea and would like to know more about this "ecosystem".
    12-21-12 08:21 PM
    Jan 30th is a big day. I don't really care about the numbers as much as I care about which apps are on board. RIM has over a month and a billion dollars to make this happen. I just don't want to see them playing catch up with features and hardware. They will still have 2 quarters after the release as the HTC isn't due out until the 3rd quarter.
    12-22-12 01:58 PM