Posted on BGR:

The BlackBerry Apex (BlackBerry 8230) we’re told was removed from Verizon’s data devices road map. Our contact doesn’t know why or what it possibly means, but he said it either means it is coming very soon (likely) or not being released at all (unlikely).
    Finally, the BlackBerry Niagara. We showed you the first photo of it, and it turns out it is pretty much spot on. We do have some more information, however. You can definitely think of it as a cross between the Bold and the Curve 8900. It’s bigger than the Curve, but smaller than the Bold. It has the same 480�320 screen resolution as the bold, and thankfully we’re told rocks the same processor as well (624MHz CPU). Lastly, it runs the 4.6 OS but you didn’t really need us to tell you that. In terms of release date, you’re going to be a little disappointed — we don’t have one. We were originally told by our original tipster that the Niagara would launch in May of ‘09 on Verizon, and darn it, that looks pretty accurate. When we have something confirmed, we’ll obviously share that news. Below is a recap of the information we reported on the Niagara when we broke the news:

* “Large screen family”
    * QWERTY keyboard
    * 480�360 LCD
    * EV-DO Rev. A
    * aGPS
    * 3.2 megapixel camera
    * 4.7 OS platform
    * BES 5.0 support (HTML email, etc)
    * Qualcomm MSM7600 processor

Upcoming Verizon news: BlackBerry Niagara, Hub updates, Netbooks, Apex : Boy Genius Report
    02-19-09 06:47 AM
    As you stated over on BGR - the Niagara WILL have WiFi. How can you be so sure? With Sprint, I believe it but not necessarily with VZW!
    02-19-09 08:48 AM
    As you stated over on BGR - the Niagara WILL have WiFi. How can you be so sure? With Sprint, I believe it but not necessarily with VZW!
    Crackberry moderator Crucial_Xtreme has confirmed that the Niagara will have wi-fi.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f40/890...ml#post1671159
    Last edited by jorGeorge; 02-19-09 at 11:33 AM.
    02-19-09 10:52 AM
    Crackberry moderator and RIM device tester Crucial_Xtreme has confirmed that the Niagara will have wi-fi.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f40/890...ml#post1671159
    CX has never stated what his job is, he may be under an NDA. We all just suspect that he works for RIM. I still fear that there will NOT be wifi, not because I don't believe him, I do, I just know VZW's track record in this regard. You NEVER see wifi listed as a feature in ANY of the leaked specs. I DO hope that CX is correct thou.
    02-19-09 11:03 AM
    Yes, CX said that it will have Wi-Fi.

My question is that does it work for GSM carriers as well... guess we will have to wait and see.
    02-19-09 11:04 AM
    Yes, CX said that it will have Wi-Fi.

My question is that does it work for GSM carriers as well... guess we will have to wait and see.
    If it's a World phone then it will, BUT in the US it might only have (probably will only have) the EDGE and lower radios. As the euro 3Gs are a different frequency. The Storm has this same limitation when used on US GSM carriers like ATT & Tmo.

You would of course have to get it unlocked. Why not get an ATT Bold (or Rogers) unlocked and use that on the other GSM carrier you have in mind, that will have the correct radios. You want the better camera, or smaller form factor?
    02-19-09 11:13 AM
    I had already heard the posible May date for the Niagra, so with more confirmations that May is more practical doesn't really change my outlook. I wasn't expecting to see anything about it until May. I would love it to be sooner, but my 8830 will do until it makes its appearance.
    02-19-09 12:20 PM
    niagara is kind of ugly.
    02-19-09 12:32 PM
    I like the look of the new Niagra since I do really like the look of the storm and 8900, it looks like they are going that way with all of them now with that top styling and hidden buttons to make them look more sleek imo
    02-19-09 12:47 PM
    P.S. Its funny I was thinking before, I think the only way I would end up getting the bold or liking it more is if it had the same top half as the 8900/Storm
    02-19-09 12:50 PM
    I have to commend RIM on this device... if the May release date stays true, that's 3 months away, and there is still NO LEAKED ACTUAL photos of this device!! Either May is not it's actual release date or RIM has really cracked down on who it gives out it's test devices to.
    02-19-09 12:50 PM
    Two questions:

1. What is (or was) the Apex?

2. How about some news on the Jupiter (Curve 2/8900 CDMA equivalent)? I'm not that interested in this "Niagara". It looks too big and unwieldy for my taste, coming from the Pearl...
    02-19-09 01:02 PM
    I have to commend RIM on this device... if the May release date stays true, that's 3 months away, and there is still NO LEAKED ACTUAL photos of this device!! Either May is not it's actual release date or RIM has really cracked down on who it gives out it's test devices to.
    This is typical for a CDMA device. A lot less attention is paid to it and since the Bold and Curve 8900 have been known for quite some time now, there isn't much of a desire to uncover a lot of details on the Niagara (or any other CDMA device for that matter).
    02-19-09 01:24 PM
    anyone have any ideas on price for the CDMA curve 8900? tmo has it for 199 but the storm is 199 so i dont think they want to compete for customers on on the same price platform...im definetly switching to bb for college but i dunno which one yet
    02-19-09 01:42 PM
    anyone have any ideas on price for the CDMA curve 8900? tmo has it for 199 but the storm is 199 so i dont think they want to compete for customers on on the same price platform...im definetly switching to bb for college but i dunno which one yet
    Projected release still sits somewhere in the second half of 2009. Don't expect it before the Niagara. I would assume mid-summer at the earliest, but possibly going into late '09.
    02-19-09 01:50 PM
    Projected release still sits somewhere in the second half of 2009. Don't expect it before the Niagara. I would assume mid-summer at the earliest, but possibly going into late '09.
    any ideas on price 199 150???????????and how much for the niagra too if ya got info
    02-19-09 01:55 PM
    No news yet on the pricing from what i've seen but that information will come out most likely around the time they start taking pre-orders for it then the pricing details will be out, but as far as your wondering for your BB for college, just depends on what you like, hard keys or touch screen with surepess? Feel it out, go to the stores and check them out and see what you think about each device so far, if none of those fit you then wait for the new devices with the new OS's
    02-19-09 01:58 PM
    any ideas on price 199 150???????????and how much for the niagra too if ya got info
    I would guess $199 with internet discount/MIR already included.
    02-19-09 01:59 PM
    thats good my enV contract is up in May and a bb would be good for college but I dont go through phones like nothing so I was just trying to get a feel for what kind of bb i want i dont rele like the storm that much i was either gettin the curve 8900 or the niagra....from what i heard i guess the niagra is getting released in may so its prime for me to just pick it up then pay my extra 30 bucks a month for data service and be on my way hopefully the niagra and 300 like it is on the att
    02-19-09 02:03 PM
    aint* whoops
    02-19-09 02:04 PM
    This is typical for a CDMA device. A lot less attention is paid to it and since the Bold and Curve 8900 have been known for quite some time now, there isn't much of a desire to uncover a lot of details on the Niagara (or any other CDMA device for that matter).
    While I do agree with you on CDMA devices getting less hype than their GSM counterparts, there was a lot of "leaked" photos of the Storm. All we have on the Niagara is an illustration, and this phone has been announced for quiet some time now.
    02-19-09 02:10 PM
    While I do agree with you on CDMA devices getting less hype than their GSM counterparts, there was a lot of "leaked" photos of the Storm. All we have on the Niagara is an illustration, and this phone has been announced for quiet some time now.
    Well the Storm was an exception because it was the first ever touch-screen blackberry, therefore there was a ton of hype surrounding it. The Niagara will be the third device in the next generation of full-keyboard blackberries so most people would only be interested in any new or innovative features being introduced.
    Last edited by jorGeorge; 02-19-09 at 02:24 PM.
    02-19-09 02:22 PM
    If it's a World phone then it will, BUT in the US it might only have (probably will only have) the EDGE and lower radios. As the euro 3Gs are a different frequency. The Storm has this same limitation when used on US GSM carriers like ATT & Tmo.

You would of course have to get it unlocked. Why not get an ATT Bold (or Rogers) unlocked and use that on the other GSM carrier you have in mind, that will have the correct radios. You want the better camera, or smaller form factor?
    Oh, I was asking for using it on at&t as it sounds different than the regular Bold. As for form factor? I love the old curve's keyboard. It's the best. The newer Curve looks awesome but the keyboard is smaller.
    02-19-09 03:28 PM
    Do you have a link for that? The only projections I have seen for the CDMA Curve 8900 is 1H CY09.
    02-19-09 03:30 PM
    Do you have a link for that? The only projections I have seen for the CDMA Curve 8900 is 1H CY09.
    Well first of all there has been ZERO information on anything related to a Curve 8930. We have no idea if it is even in the works to begin with. I have no link or concrete source, but I am running off of what Crucial_Xtreme has said in the past.
    02-19-09 03:48 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD