Anyone know if that is available now (in Canada) or when it will be coming? I would like to load my phone with $100 in cash and be able to make small purchases with it.
    Don't want to do it through my credit card as of now but some pre-loaded card would be neat.
    Do the apps exist yet, even just for downloading and looking at?
    I read something about the fall in the Globe and Mail.
    08-15-12 08:38 PM
    Nothing is quite available yet, but actually, we're working hard to try to bring something out before the end of the year. You can check out our apps at taab - Mobile payments made easy. You should watch the promo video. They're sample apps, and more proof-of-concepts rather than functional products. However, they show what we're trying to build quite well.

You can also vote for our entry in the MintChip Challenge at taab | The MintChip Challenge

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cDEnh1h9ME[/YT]
    08-15-12 09:52 PM
    I just want to pay for a beer at the bar using it.
    08-15-12 10:03 PM
    I have a few questions about taab.

1) This mintchip. Is it present on the purchaser's phone/tablet or on the retailers' or both?
    If on the purchaser's phone, where does it go? Does it take up the microSD slot?

2) Is the server a taab hosted server or is it a server the retailer owns and operates?

3) If I'm ordering a drink, how do I get it? How do they know who ordered it? There is just a mintchip number right? In a crowded bar, how do they identify the person?

4) The tap is actually a few seconds long, right?
    08-15-12 10:19 PM
    I have a few questions about taab.

1) This mintchip. Is it present on the purchaser's phone/tablet or on the retailers' or both?
    If on the purchaser's phone, where does it go? Does it take up the microSD slot?

2) Is the server a taab hosted server or is it a server the retailer owns and operates?

3) If I'm ordering a drink, how do I get it? How do they know who ordered it? There is just a mintchip number right? In a crowded bar, how do they identify the person?

4) The tap is actually a few seconds long, right?
    Ok, bear in mind that the MintChip is a prototype digital currency/wallet by the Royal Canadian Mint that is in R&D phase. So while we're using it right now, that may not be the case in the future. That said...

1) The retailer would have their own MintChip, hosted "in the cloud" on their own server. For the customer, they can have a local MintChip in the microSD slot in their phone, or also have a hosted MintChip in the cloud when the phone doesn't have a slot available.

2) taab is intended to be a set of APIs and services that a retailer can utilize. They would not be responsible for setting up their own IT infrastructure to support this.

3) If you're ordering a drink, you will typically be acknowledged by the bartender. However, we recognize that things can get quite hectic when it's busy. We're exploring options, but the easiest is to show the bartender your order confirmation number. We have another more intuitive option in the works, but we're not willing to reveal it publicly.

4) The tap CAN be as fast as was shown in the video. Due to the MintChip's architecture, the value message has to be requested as the customer taps their phone. This introduces a delay as it is generated. It's done this way to ensure that the customer doesn't lose money if there is an issue, or they cancel the transaction before tapping.

If MintChip were modified to allow for transactions to be cancelled easily, it can be as fast as the promo video. To see true speed, you can watch the video below.

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TA1iF4D_tnM[/YT]
    08-15-12 11:30 PM
    So then, you are not going to keep track of my purchases on your servers, like some kind of data warehouse where you can send me spam, are you?
    08-16-12 07:18 AM
    So is it the mintchip that is loaded with money? Is that the concept.
    So I would have $100 on my MintChip and then, after I buy the drink, I have $95 left on it?

Also, how would you go about leaving a tip? Where is the facility for that?
    Last edited by timmy t; 08-16-12 at 08:15 AM.
    08-16-12 07:20 AM
    You'll be able to leave a tip from within the app. The merchant would handle distribution of it on their end. We didn't build that feature yet because it's trivial to do. We can do it later.

We are not going to be tracking info, spamming people, or selling their info. We likely will track general demographic information so that merchants can tailor their in-app promotions to target people most likely to follow-through on it. For example, a particular skirt may be on promotion. We would allow the retailer to show that only to females in a certain age category, since they'll most likely buy it. But they won't know your particular personal details.

Make sense? Bear in mind, this is all future strategy. Right now, it's just a cool idea in a contest.
    08-16-12 08:57 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD