Paiement mobile : Rogers et Telus adoptent des cartes SIM � technologie NFC | Alain McKenna, collaboration sp�ciale | Mobilit�

hey crackberry nation
    sorry for the french link but i just read that telus and roger want to implement nfc into sim card. looks like we,proud owner of the 9900, just lost one of our competitive advantage.

anyone can comment on the implication of this news. anyone knows if this really mean what i implied previously. will it work as good as the embedded nfc we got in the 9900?? (assuming it works well in the 9900 of course)

thanks!
    11-18-11 07:52 AM
    There are other phones on the market with NFC. It was never a 9900 exclusive. If fact, Nokia was the first to market a phone (the 6131) with embedded NFC back in 2006.
    11-18-11 09:08 AM
    NFC widespread adoption is a good thing. This is a case of where we want all devices to have this feature.
    11-18-11 11:42 AM
    by competitive advantage i was refering to iphone.
    nfc is trully a good thing but boasting on this is vain now....
    11-18-11 01:10 PM
    If you thought buying a 9900 for NFC, it wasn't a really good reason.
    11-18-11 04:32 PM
    Well, until it happens, it's still a 9900 advantage.

Besides, we've already seen some neat innovative uses for NFC on the BB. Not only do other manufactures need to catch-up on the actual hardware, they'll need to catch-up on the software as well.

Again, RIM leads to pack.
    11-18-11 05:19 PM

Besides, we've already seen some neat innovative uses for NFC on the BB. Not only do other manufactures need to catch-up on the actual hardware, they'll need to catch-up on the software as well.

RIM isn't leading the pack. Many Android devices have had both the hardware and software support for ~ a year now.

Regardless, it's all academic anyway because NFC is still in such an infancy.
    Last edited by WinningWithLogic; 11-18-11 at 05:57 PM.
    11-18-11 05:55 PM
    In-app self-checkout may be the future anyway. NFC is great and all, but if I can check myself out and avoid waiting in line, the choice is clear: Apple Enters Mobile Payment League through Self-checkout at Apple Stores | ITProPortal.com
    11-18-11 06:59 PM

Do you mean "lead the pack?".

What? Leads what?

You need to go and see what other leading phones can do now that BB is not even close to doing.

RIM stopped leading 2 years ago.

Tim

Sent from my BlackBerry
    11-18-11 08:42 PM
    Near field communication is not an "advantage" to anyone until you can use it for something. There are very few, if any, practical uses for it so far. Certainly not enough to try and use the feature to sell phones.
    11-19-11 10:56 AM
    Paiement mobile*: Rogers et Telus adoptent des cartes SIM � technologie NFC | Alain McKenna, collaboration sp�ciale | Mobilit�

hey crackberry nation
    sorry for the french link but i just read that telus and roger want to implement nfc into sim card. looks like we,proud owner of the 9900, just lost one of our competitive advantage.

anyone can comment on the implication of this news. anyone knows if this really mean what i implied previously. will it work as good as the embedded nfc we got in the 9900?? (assuming it works well in the 9900 of course)

thanks!
    Many BB models can support NFC payment applications both on SIM and embedded secure element.

It was newly announced that 9900 and 9360 are the only smart phones ever approved to run Master Card NFC payment on their SIM (yes, not even google phones are aloud to do that).

As a user, you don't loose anything. I think that, comparing to others running NFC payment apps only from embedded secure element is just a plus.
    Because for many users who buy their smart phones from a carrier (that means most users) the only way they can do NFC payment is if the carrier let them do it and that is through payment on SIM (because carriers get money from the bank when you download "credit cards" to your SIM over the air).

Regarding current use for NFC see the movie clip in the thread below and see how users currently use NFC:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...3/#post6760844
    11-19-11 06:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD