Google's Nexus 7 by Asus leaked: full specs, images, and video! | The Verge

Have at it, folks. Images, specs, even video. Of course I do not believe my own headline. Just riffing off the last one about the MS Surface.

I am begging RIM not to release another PB. It doesn't stand a chance in any market. Believe it or not. I want to see a BB10 phone. I am convinced that if RIM releases another PB, we will not see a BB10 phone. Or, the PB4G will fail so badly, it will drag everything else down that RIM is trying to do.

Yes. This tablet is a threat to the PB, and to RIM if they don't quit this hobby. I can't get WebOS out of my head. As badly as some of them wanted an iPad killer, what they really wanted and needed was the Pre 3. They never got it. They came awful close. Let the likes of Google and Amazon lose piles of money chasing this yeti. RIM has better things to do.
    06-27-12 01:18 PM
    The Nexus 7 is a ridiculously impressive device. It will be easily the best 7 inch tablet on the market
    06-27-12 01:24 PM
    Other than certain hardware like processor, screen and the GPU (which, will get updated in any newly released devices), I don't see Nexus 7 being much a threat to the Playbook EXCEPT the OS Jelly Bean itself and the price.

Nexus 7 has no rear camera and external storage, which I think 16GB is really not enough for their proclaimed HD movies playback. It's even a hair thicker than Playbook :P

Not being biased, I do admit I am very impressed by the OS itself. Did you guys see how good is the notification and the Google Now integrations? I don't think BB10 is at that level anytime now. But I am with RIM, I hope they can create a great ecosystem of they own.
    06-27-12 01:33 PM
    RIM already stated that their first priority is to get a BB10 phone out the door.

It's one of the reasons why BB10 for Playbook isn't expected until after a BB10 phone has been released.

Re: Nexus 7. It looks very appealing as a competitor to Amazon's Kindle Fire. Personally, it looks like a nice device for traveling, except that it doesn't have expandable memory or native SD slot. If it has USB host, then the memory/SD issue isn't so troubling. I'm not too concerned about a rear facing camera, as I prefer using a real camera while traveling anyway.
    06-27-12 01:35 PM
    Google to hand over $25 Play credit with each Nexus 7 tablet purchase -- Engadget

You read that right. They will be practically paying people to buy it. None of the spec comparisons matter to a $200 tablet shopper.
    Premium1 likes this.
    06-27-12 01:36 PM
    Nexus 7. Meh.

Price is the only good thing here.

Android, in my experience is not good for tablets. Maybe Jelly Bean is better?
    06-27-12 01:38 PM
    I mean the bezel on that thing is GINORMOUS!
    06-27-12 01:41 PM
    I thought Google bought the Playbook hardware and install its operating system. I still think Playbook is better when it releases BB10 software.
    06-27-12 01:43 PM
    Nexus 7. Meh.

The only thing that move a few PBs was price. Most people didn't buy it for the OS. And they certainly didn't buy it of the ecosystem. These are $200 tablet shoppers. You know who that doesn't compete with? Right.
    Premium1 and waker like this.
    Nexus 7. Meh.

Didn't have good impression with my friend's android tablet (Galaxy Tab 10.1 if not mistaken). But this time it looks quite promising, although not a word on multitasking innovation whether it can deliver similar if not better experience than the playbook can offer.

As for phone, I like Jelly Bean.
    Nexus 7. Meh.

Amazon and Google can afford to do what they are doing quite easily. Heres why both amazon (kindle fire 2) and google (Nexus 7) are content companies and even if they break even on the tablets they make a fortune on selling the customer the content.

The 7 inch space like it or not is becoming the realm of ereaders and internet consumption devices ad there is huge downward price pressure. The 10 inch space where apple and microsoft want to compete is more pc like, more computing and in the coming months ipad will likely become PC like. They are actively trying to find a way to affordabily get OS X to work on Ipad as Microsoft is with windows 8 on surface.

The 7 inch tablet is a realm now for large scale content providers who have deep pockets and the 10 inch will become a mini laptop but more versatile and powerful than a netbook is.
    06-27-12 01:46 PM
    Still assert the only thing I'd replace my PB with is a Microsoft Surface, assuming it lives up to its hype.
    JBenn911 likes this.
    06-27-12 01:47 PM
    Didn't have good impression with my friend's android tablet (Galaxy Tab 10.1 if not mistaken). But this time it looks quite promising, although not a word on multitasking innovation whether it can deliver similar if not better experience than the playbook can offer.

As for phone, I like Jelly Bean.
    Most tablet users dont really care about multitasking as a feature they use these for content devices and dont care what apps are running in the background and whether they can switch back and forth.
    06-27-12 01:48 PM
    Four words.

Swipe-from-the-Bezel.

The PlayBook remains my pick as the best Tablet especially for Videos. As much as I love iOS & android, this is why I still have...actually I sold my 64GB but then realized my mistake and bought the 32GB a few weeks later.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    06-27-12 01:50 PM
    I'm actually more excited about the Nexus Q and the Project Glass thingy, to be honest. But I think Nexus 7 would be a very good consumer device for content consumption, as a good tablet should be. Supplanting Ipad at this point will be difficult, but this looks like a step in the right direction. I can already foresee the Google faithful flocking to it
    06-27-12 01:51 PM
    Google should have put in an 8MP rear camera, stereo speakers, and 32GB on the Nexus 7 for $199. That would kill everything at that price. But they (or ASUS) didn't. So the PB could still survive.
    06-27-12 01:54 PM
    Other than certain hardware like processor, screen and the GPU (which, will get updated in any newly released devices), I don't see Nexus 7 being much a threat to the Playbook EXCEPT the OS Jelly Bean itself and the price.

Nexus 7 has no rear camera and external storage, which I think 16GB is really not enough for their proclaimed HD movies playback. It's even a hair thicker than Playbook :P

Not being biased, I do admit I am very impressed by the OS itself. Did you guys see how good is the notification and the Google Now integrations? I don't think BB10 is at that level anytime now. But I am with RIM, I hope they can create a great ecosystem of they own.
    I think Google is accepting going toe to toe with the ipad is not (yet) a good moveandafe going for market share first as was done by the Fire.
    This device will,win by being quadcore and the Android hype.
    Naturally the PB will creep into the equation but really we're comparing devices from different eras when the tablet market perceptions were different.
    Everyone makes it sound like if RIM were to update the PB they would do it the exact same way without learning anything from the last year.
    06-27-12 01:58 PM
    Google to hand over $25 Play credit with each Nexus 7 tablet purchase -- Engadget

You read that right. They will be practically paying people to buy it. None of the spec comparisons matter to a $200 tablet shopper.
    8GB of RAM storage will give at least a few consumers second thoughts.
    06-27-12 02:04 PM
    Google should have put in an 8MP rear camera, stereo speakers, and 32GB on the Nexus 7 for $199. That would kill everything at that price. But they (or ASUS) didn't. So the PB could still survive.
    Yeah... maybe a small speck bump like moving up to 2GB RAM, or something of that nature. Hard to say if RIM has any intention of staying in the tablet space now...
    06-27-12 02:05 PM
    Playbook has tremendous specs there is no doubt about that however without native kindle, netflix, skype ,instagram etc how is playbook supposed to compete in the media consumption space.

I know some of these apps can be sideloaded, playbooks can be rooted, android player etc but the average consumer doesnt speak geek work arounds they speak plug and play.

The 7 inch space has become media and app ecosystem centric since the introduction of the kindle fire.

The future is some tablets will be media and apps and others like the surface will be programs, media and apps.
    Last edited by JTATL; 06-27-12 at 02:08 PM.
    06-27-12 02:06 PM
    Playbook has tremendous specs there is no doubt about that however without native kindle, netflix, skype ,instagram etc how is playbook supposed to compete in the media consumption space.

I knowsome of these apps can be sideloaded, playbooks can be rooted, android player etc but the average consumer doesnt speak geek work arounds they speak plug and play.
    Bit of a different question; that's the whole ecosystem thing, and we don't know what RIM is going to have in place for the BB10 launch. In those terms, I agree completely.

Also worth remembering: stuff that looks awesome in demo doesn't always translate to real-world usability.
    06-27-12 02:08 PM
    I know some of these apps can be sideloaded, playbooks can be rooted, android player etc...
    You say Android player; the buyer hears Android, Google Play. And there giving me $25 in free credits.
    06-27-12 02:11 PM
    Bit of a different question; that's the whole ecosystem thing, and we don't know what RIM is going to have in place for the BB10 launch. In those terms, I agree completely.

Also worth remembering: stuff that looks awesome in demo doesn't always translate to real-world usability.
    Past is generally prologue and even when RIM's future was brighter they couldnt get the application; now that they are on the ropes why would app developers change their minds.
    06-27-12 02:11 PM
    You say Android player; the buyer hears Android, Google Play. And there giving me $25 in free credits.
    Yep the only reason I signed up for zinio $25 credit, spent it and I havent purchased anything since from them.
    06-27-12 02:13 PM
    Not too much interested in it.
    More interested in the Surface.

I am, however, interested in Jellybean.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    06-27-12 02:18 PM
130 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD