If they allow the Chinese to buy oil companies they will likely allow the sale of BlackBerry too subject to some job promises. I am not sure that the rules governing the sale of corporations to foreigners applies to the sale of intellectual property. I do not imagine they are very strong. Canada has relaxed their concern over foreign ownership as many Canadian corporations are buying corporations in other countries. I agree that at a sale to the Chinese would be a concern but not if the alternative is bankruptcy or a sale of all of their assets.

The security concerns are separate issues involving the security and control of data. Every Enterprise has to be concerned with data security.

Posted via CB10
    Buying Oil companies are not considered a Security issue any more. The IP involved in BlackBerry are considered of National Security.

Posted via CB10
    09-20-15 09:48 AM
    Buying Oil companies are not considered a Security issue any more. The IP involved in BlackBerry are considered of National Security.

Posted via CB10
    Not likely. The Canadian govt is just an Enterprise customer and a small one at that. Perhaps there are some higher levels of encrypted devices used by DOD and cabinet but they would be few in number.
    Except for a Chinese buyer, I really the only concern would be jobs. If security was a high concern then the USA govt would ensure that a friendly USA corporation absorbed BlackBerry.

In the sphere the Canadian govt is just a bit player.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 09-20-15 at 11:28 AM.
    09-20-15 10:50 AM
    Not likely. The Canadian govt is just an Enterprise customer and a small one at that. Perhaps there are some higher levels of encrypted devices used by DON and cabinet but they would be few in number.
    Except for a Chinese buyer, I really the only concern would be jobs. If security was a high concern then the USA govt would ensure that a friendly USA corporation absorbed BlackBerry.

In the sphere the Canadian govt is just a bit player.

Posted via CB10
    Sorry Security isn't a concern? It's of paramount importance, there are many instances where BlackBerry and security with Government is intertwined. It's true that jobs were a concern but not the main issue. As for the US government getting a buyer to absorb BlackBerry it would be the lesser of two evils but again ......

Posted via CB10
    09-20-15 11:09 AM
    Hugo Barra recently admitted on Bloomberg recently that the regulators outside of China would be an issue for them entering regulated markets.
    Perhaps China plus India shall be large enough for Xiaomi to sustain its growth momentum.

Attachment 372229
    09-20-15 11:24 AM
    Perhaps China plus India shall be large enough for Xiaomi to sustain its growth momentum.

Attachment 372229
    Indian courts have blocked the importation of Xiaomi devices. See Ericsson patent infringement. It was also suggested that the devices were to be banned for National Security issues as user data was being transferred to a Chinese based server. Xiaomi has countered with software patch that allows users to turn off the function.

Posted via CB10
    09-20-15 11:31 AM
    Sorry Security isn't a concern? It's of paramount importance, there are many instances where BlackBerry and security with Government is intertwined. It's true that jobs were a concern but not the main issue. As for the US government getting a buyer to absorb BlackBerry it would be the lesser of two evils but again ......

Posted via CB10
    It is a concern but Canada will not prop up BlackBerry because of some encrypted devices. The alternative to a sale is bankruptcy. The Canadian govt might let the company go bankrupt that part is true.

Posted via CB10
    09-20-15 11:32 AM
    It is a concern but Canada will not prop up BlackBerry because of some encrypted devices. The alternative to a sale is bankruptcy. The Canadian govt might let the company go bankrupt that part is true.

Posted via CB10
    That won't happen anytime soon. I see perhaps a withdrawal into Private hands somewhere in the future. As for propping BlackBerry it goes beyond "a few encrypted devices ".

Posted via CB10
    09-20-15 11:36 AM
    Wouldn't it really matter on how the android Venice does, if it does well, then they might go full android and let the runtime wither on the vine and eventually die, if it doesn't do well, well I think it's the end of the handset business for them
    09-20-15 12:59 PM
    That won't happen anytime soon. I see perhaps a withdrawal into Private hands somewhere in the future. As for propping BlackBerry it goes beyond "a few encrypted devices ".

Posted via CB10
    I can agree on the private hands. I think we will see BlackBerry as a privately owned security software company.

Posted via CB10
    09-20-15 03:18 PM
    True, Apple or Google could buy BlackBerry for a bucket of pucks. Except for one thing..

The pesky fact that BlackBerry makes and secures devices for high levels of government.

I know that some will scoff at this, but when it comes to government, throw all common sense out the window. Perhaps the reason BlackBerry never got bought was because governments required it to run as a stand alone business and not stripped down for parts. That would mean extra expense for duplication of services that buyers wouldn't want to risk.

Again. This is speculation.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Thanks. Standalone company. Much more valuable as a separate entity. Not necessarily in a monetary sense (at the moment).

:-)

�   Leakers' gonna leak... :-)   �
    09-20-15 03:30 PM
    I can agree on the private hands. I think we will see BlackBerry as a privately owned security software company.

Posted via CB10
    You reckon Prem is gonna have another shot at it?

�   Leakers' gonna leak... :-)   �
    09-20-15 03:31 PM
    Indian courts have blocked the importation of Xiaomi devices. See Ericsson patent infringement. It was also suggested that the devices were to be banned for National Security issues as user data was being transferred to a Chinese based server. Xiaomi has countered with software patch that allows users to turn off the function.
    Noted with many thanks.

Posted via CB10
    09-20-15 06:07 PM
    Mmmmmm.... Steak!!
    Mmmmmm .... Scarlett.

Posted Securely Via BlackBerry 10. � C a d u c e u s �
    09-20-15 09:29 PM
    Erm... No.

There is no wishful thinking here. It's about discussing the possibilities IF a precedent is set today for a certain manufacturer. It leads to some very interesting thoughts and ideas. The police I refer to, rehash the same book of rules again and again. Some even go to the lengths of ridiculing other people's opinions (ideas).

As for the precedent that I mention, a precedent will be set. Maybe not today, maybe not for BlackBerry, but, it WILL be set at some point in the future for somebody.

Posted via CB10
    Still no idea what he was on about.
    09-08-16 08:00 PM
    I wouldn't mind if Scarlett Johansson would cook me a steak dinner, but they're equally likely.

Posted via CB10
    Well, I don't know that they are equally likely. After all, the only thing you'd have to do to get Scarlett Johansson to cook you a steak dinner would be move to Hollywood, become a successful actor, and get cast with her in a movie where the script has her cooking said dinner.

Getting a Chen led Blackberry to update runtime would be a good bit harder than that.

Posted via CB10
    DrBoomBotz and JeepBB like this.
    09-09-16 02:05 PM
90 ... 234