At this point, we would all be guessing, right?

CB has done nothing but guessing and speculating since the Android BlackBerry rumors started
    09-19-15 02:54 PM
    Assuming BB has joined the OHA and licensed Google Play Service and the Google Play Store for Venice, then they are in fact contractually obligated to drop it....The OHA, and the GPS license terms, prohibit members from making devices, for themselves or for others, that use non-certified Android code, and that would include the BB10 runtime.
    People keep asserting this, but when pressed no one has produced a single quote from the OHA agreement that proves the assertion

I have also heard that the OHA only pertains to the phone's actual Operating System, but have no evidence of that either.

The BB10 runtime almost certainly cannot be updated to run Google Play Services under the OHA, but it is not at all clear that BlackBerry will be obligated to drop it from BB10 phones, and they may even be allowed to update it, though whether they would is another question entirely.

I haven't read the OHA and don't pretend to know the actual language, but without a quote or link to the agreement, I call all claims about it to be opinions, not fact.

Posted via CB10
    09-19-15 03:06 PM
    CB has done nothing but guessing and speculating since the Android BlackBerry rumors started
    Thanks to BlackBerry being silent, except by one boilerplate quote "we remain committed to BB10"

Posted via CB10
    09-19-15 03:14 PM
    People keep asserting this, but when pressed no one has produced a single quote from the OHA agreement that proves the assertion

I have also heard that the OHA only pertains to the phone's actual Operating System, but have no evidence of that either.

The BB10 runtime almost certainly cannot be updated to run Google Play Services under the OHA, but it is not at all clear that BlackBerry will be obligated to drop it from BB10 phones, and they may even be allowed to update it, though whether they would is another question entirely.

I haven't read the OHA and don't pretend to know the actual language, but without a quote or link to the agreement, I call all claims about it to be opinions, not fact.

Posted via CB10
    Trying to find the OHA terms and conditions on the web, but no luck. Could it be that it is confidential?

Posted via CB10
    09-19-15 03:32 PM
    It not speculation any sale of BlackBerry would require that the Canadian government approve the buyer. Despite some who know or think they know it all comments about what Google can do and Not do with the runtime there are.bigger overriding issues that will not be cut and dry as they would like you to believe.

Posted via CB10
    As a Canadian, I say that the government is mainly interested in keeping some jobs in Canada.

Posted via CB10
    09-19-15 03:33 PM
    with over 200+ hardware partners
    OHA website says 84 companies?!

Posted via CB10
    09-19-15 03:35 PM
    Googles OHA guidelines may dictate what happens to the runtime.
    If you as the OP knows that much, then the thread was simply to get the opinion of others? There has been numerous threads / discussions on this issue. I guess it is all opinions as no one really knows for sure what is going to happen.
    09-19-15 03:43 PM
    Just a thought...

Pretty much everyone agrees that Venice will ship with Android and Google Play Services.

For the sake of argument, assume that after the launch of Venice, BlackBerry will have a deadline to remove the Android runtime from BB10.
    BlackBerry might try to update BB10 just prior to the Venice launch, as a gesture to the folks who wish to keep the runtime.
    However, I doubt that they would delay Venice to do this.

Pure speculation of course.
    09-19-15 04:39 PM
    As a Canadian, I say that the government is mainly interested in keeping some jobs in Canada.

Posted via CB10
    It goes beyond just jobs with BlackBerry and it's Patents and I speak as a Canadian as well

Posted via CB10
    09-19-15 04:41 PM
    It not speculation any sale of BlackBerry would require that the Canadian government approve the buyer. Despite some who know or think they know it all comments about what Google can do and Not do with the runtime there are.bigger overriding issues that will not be cut and dry as they would like you to believe.

Posted via CB10
    Except... One of the tyrekickers (mike scully) has talked openly about how the Canadian govt approached them but they though it was such a bad deal that passed.
    09-19-15 05:43 PM
    Except... One of the tyrekickers (mike scully) has talked openly about how the Canadian govt approached them but they though it was such a bad deal that passed.
    The question as to who approached who should be examined. The Canadian government DOES NOT solicit buyers. It works the other way around.

Posted via CB10
    09-19-15 06:07 PM
    The question as to who approached who should be examined. The Canadian government DOES NOT solicit buyers. It works the other way around.

Posted via CB10
    Then you clearly know more than former apple CEO Mike Scully and should write to him to let know so

The Canadian government had asked us if we could consider making a bid for BlackBerry.

So, when we were seriously studying it, we saw it had 7,000 employees in its handset division. We could do it with a few hundred because we work through distributors, because we know where to spend the money and where to be nimble.
    Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk
    09-19-15 06:47 PM
    Then you clearly know more than former apple CEO Mike Scully and should write to him to let know so

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk
    Again I Repeat the Canadian government DOES NOT solicit buyers for any private entity.

Their interests lie with the Patents on the technology NOT getting into the hands of the wrong people. Mr.Scully can say whatever he wants.
    Posted via CB10
    09-19-15 07:16 PM
    Again I Repeat the Canadian government DOES NOT solicit buyers for any private entity.

Their interests lie with the Patents on the technology NOT getting into the hands of the wrong people. Mr.Scully can say whatever he wants.
    Posted via CB10
    Right and the only people interested in buying BlackBerry were Chinese companies. They wanted desperately to find a North American buyer.

Posted via CB10
    09-19-15 09:06 PM
    They didn't bend any rules for Cyanogen - Cyanogen is ANDROID. Sure, it's a customized version of Android, but it's still Android, and can pass the Compatibility tests.

The BB10 Runtime is Android code (enough to be a problem under OHA), but it isn't going to pass Compatibility tests, because one of those tests/requirements is that the device is running exclusively Android.

I know that's not what some folks here want to believe, but that's the reality. Google isn't going to jeopardize it's entire Android business, and its agreements with over 200+ hardware partners, to allow BB to break the rules. I'm not even sure how folks here could convince themselves otherwise - it simply doesn't pass the "common sense" test.
    I'm not suggesting that BlackBerry should pursue OHA certification for the runtime. Much as I'd love that, I get how unrealistic a prospect that is. I guess I'm holding on to the hope that in order to gain an OHA cert for an Android-based phone, that BlackBerry isn't being forced to drop a feature that's been very useful for their existing customers. If users who want to stay on BB10 are forced to lose all of their existing Android apps, they're going to be very unhappy.
    gebco likes this.
    09-19-15 09:36 PM
    I guess I'm holding on to the hope that in order to gain an OHA cert for an Android-based phone, that BlackBerry isn't being forced to drop a feature that's been very useful for their existing customers. If users who want to stay on BB10 are forced to lose all of their existing Android apps, they're going to be very unhappy.
    As I said, I'm sure existing devices will be allowed to keep the runtime as long as they don't update the OS - the runtime won't just disappear. But I believe (again, just my opinion) that future BB10 phones, if there are any (and I suspect there will be) won't have the runtime. Frankly, the number of non-enterprise consumers who want to stay with BB10 instead of following BB to Android for a consumer/app solution is so small that I don't think BB can afford to cater to them anymore. They'll continue to make BB10 for government/big enterprise who need the best security and can have custom apps written for them for their internal use, and BB will be happy to sell those pure BB10 phones to any consumer who wants one, but IMO the days of a hybrid BB10/Android OS are soon to be over, at least for new devices.

That's just my opinion, and I could be totally wrong (but don't bet on it).
    09-19-15 11:28 PM
    As I said, I'm sure existing devices will be allowed to keep the runtime as long as they don't update the OS - the runtime won't just disappear. But I believe (again, just my opinion) that future BB10 phones, if there are any (and I suspect there will be) won't have the runtime. Frankly, the number of non-enterprise consumers who want to stay with BB10 instead of following BB to Android for a consumer/app solution is so small that I don't think BB can afford to cater to them anymore. They'll continue to make BB10 for government/big enterprise who need the best security and can have custom apps written for them for their internal use, and BB will be happy to sell those pure BB10 phones to any consumer who wants one, but IMO the days of a hybrid BB10/Android OS are soon to be over, at least for new devices.

That's just my opinion, and I could be totally wrong (but don't bet on it).
    You want keep using app gap with runtime?
    09-20-15 01:33 AM
    So, what will happen with runtime if we get this one?
    09-20-15 05:24 AM
    I wouldn't mind if Scarlett Johansson would cook me a steak dinner, but they're equally likely.

Posted via CB10
    I'd rather have her make me an omelet. That means we could get to dessert sooner.

Posted from BlackBerry Classic, T-Mobile, no camera, 10.3.2.2474
    Xaiux likes this.
    09-20-15 06:01 AM
    So, what will happen with runtime if we get this one?
    If I had to guess, BB will be allowed to update BB10 with the runtime right up until the release date of the slider, and after that, any updates to BB10 will have to have the runtime removed. If that's the case, it wouldn't be surprising that BB is working on one last update to push before the slider is released (IMO, mostly concentrating on updates to BB10 itself, not the runtime).
    09-20-15 08:30 AM
    Dupe post, please delete.
    09-20-15 08:30 AM
    A deviation from the topic of this thread . . . Xiaomi has been selling reasonably (cheaply) priced smartphones inside and outside China very successfully. MIUI (pronounced "Me You I") is installed on such smartphones.

Xiaomi started removing Google stuff a couple of years ago - in China among others - but their recent smartphones are still listed in Supported Devices (devices supported for use with Google Play) https://support.google.com/googleplay/answer/1727131 .

P.S.

Like the other custom Android OS, MIUI can be installed on many non-Xiaomi devices http://en.miui.com/download.html .
    Last edited by yhamaie; 09-20-15 at 09:03 AM.
    09-20-15 08:44 AM
    If they allow the Chinese to buy oil companies they will likely allow the sale of BlackBerry too, subject to some job promises. I am not sure that the rules governing the sale of corporations to foreigners applies to the sale of intellectual property. I do not imagine they are very strong. Canada has relaxed their concern over foreign ownership as many Canadian corporations are buying corporations in other countries. I agree that at a sale to the Chinese would be a concern but not if the alternative is bankruptcy or a sale of all of their assets.

The security concerns are separate issues involving the security and control of data. Every Enterprise has to be concerned with data security.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 09-20-15 at 10:37 AM.
    09-20-15 08:56 AM
    OHA website says 84 companies?!

Posted via CB10
    200 +/- 116?

Posted via CB10
    09-20-15 09:17 AM
    A deviation from the topic of this thread . . . Xiaomi has been selling reasonably (cheaply) priced smartphones inside and outside China very successfully. MIUI (pronounced "Me You I") is installed on such smartphones.

Xiaomi started removing Google stuff a couple of years ago - in China among others - but their recent smartphones are still listed in Supported Devices (devices supported for use with Google Play) https://support.google.com/googleplay/answer/1727131 .

P.S.

Like the other custom Android OS, MIUI can be installed on many non-Xiaomi devices http://en.miui.com/download.html .
    The reason they can sell a relatively high end device on Asian Markets, would be that in China, intellectual property rights mean beans to them. They themselves have admitted that it would be an issue going west with IPR regulations being more stringent on this side of the globe. In other words they can use the Technology to their benefit on those markets for "free", cutting a lot of costs involved in R&D, for example, to increase their bottom line. Hugo Barra recently admitted on Bloomberg recently that the regulators outside of China would be an issue for them entering regulated markets.

Posted via CB10
    09-20-15 09:46 AM
90 1234