If you think that, then you better buy one, as it will be the last physical keyboard device ever.
    I would buy if it ran bb10 but no Android, I will rock with my Passport as the last physical keyboard of its own kind every.

Posted via CB10
    02-02-17 12:43 PM
    TCL done more to generate buzz for a BlackBerry phone than BlackBerry has in a long time

Posted via CB10
    *long time*... - Ever?
    02-02-17 02:51 PM
    From the sounds of it, TCL has a long term plan with BlackBerry devices and I don't think everything will be riding on the Mercury. From some interviews, the plan extends well into 2019 (came up when discussing carrier relationships).
    ^^

This.

The TCL agreement is NOT defined by any one devices success.
    Sigewif and Carjackd like this.
    02-02-17 02:57 PM
    If it is a flop, I'm assuming there will be no more BlackBerry handsets and BlackBerry will continue driving forward as a Software company.
    02-02-17 03:22 PM
    If it is a flop, I'm assuming there will be no more BlackBerry handsets and BlackBerry will continue driving forward as a Software company.
    Don't think Chen put much in for Licensing with his guidance for next few quarters.... so yeah BlackBerry will be fine even if the Mercury is a flop. Software is what he's focused on, if someone manages to do something BlackBerry couldn't with hardware, that will be icing on the cake.

I sorta expect the deal was a hard sell, and that BlackBerry probably doesn't make much per unit sold, at least not till cost are covered.

The big problem for BlackBerry... is what does it cost them to keep the ANDROID Software group going? How many licensed phones must be sold to cover that cost? If these licensee don't start selling phones in volume to cover the cost... Chen isn't afraid to cut cost.
    Bbnivende and Ronindan like this.
    02-02-17 03:52 PM
    If you think that, then you better buy one, as it will be the last physical keyboard device ever.
    I believe PKB phones will continue to be made. There are too many people like me out there, plus all the people who didn't know about the PKB Priv and when they saw, for example, mine they said they miss the PKB. Better marketing and a better price will reach these people. TCL also makes very nice, inexpensive android tablets. I have one I got as a promo from T-Mobile. I wonder if TCL is considering some BlackBerry Mobile tablets with keyboard addons. I would definitely consider buying one if they did.
    Last edited by Sigewif; 02-02-17 at 04:40 PM.
    02-02-17 04:25 PM
    I would buy if it ran bb10 but no Android, I will rock with my Passport as the last physical keyboard of its own kind every.

Posted via CB10
    ^^^agree^^^ with this statement. The Passport is the last true PKB form BlackBerry. I love my Passport but like many here will move on to other device as BlackBerry is no longer in the hardware business.

Posted via CB10
    02-02-17 04:42 PM
    ^^^agree^^^ with this statement. The Passport is the last true PKB form BlackBerry. I love my Passport but like many here will move on to other device as BlackBerry is no longer in the hardware business.

Posted via CB10
    As a pkb user, you so despise Android that you would buy an iPhone slab over a BlackBerry Android pkb device?

Also, have you tried a DTEK phone to experience BlackBerry Android?
    Last edited by conite; 02-02-17 at 05:04 PM.
    Bbnivende likes this.
    02-02-17 04:44 PM

Posted via CB10
    No that was the Classic , Q10 or 9900.
    02-02-17 06:35 PM
    As a pkb user, you so despise Android that you would buy an iPhone slab over a BlackBerry Android pkb device?

Also, have you tried a DTEK phone to experience BlackBerry Android?
    Conite, For starters I never said i would Buy an iPhone slab And i dont Despise Android. Both my kids have the Priv. I feel, and lets be clear here, that if i'm going Android I may as well Go full Android. And Move On....
    Thank you.
    02-02-17 07:03 PM
    Conite, For starters I never said i would Buy an iPhone slab And i dont Despise Android. Both my kids have the Priv. I feel, and lets be clear here, that if i'm going Android I may as well Go full Android. And Move On....
    Thank you.
    Gotcha.
    02-02-17 07:05 PM
    No that was the Classic , Q10 or 9900.
    Really....So the Passport with its PKB is not in this class?
    02-02-17 07:05 PM
    Not the "iconic " form factor.
    02-02-17 07:52 PM
    Have I mentioned lately that I'm going down with the ship? I've bought them all...well a lot of them. The Mercury will be no different. By the time it gets to market my dtek60 will be 6 months old and it's time to move to the next device.

I can't speak for the rest of the world , but in my little part of the world here in Canada I here so many people say " man I miss my pkb" . I feel there is deman d fir an android with a blackberry pkb. I think it will sell...I'm not saying crazy numbers but I think it will do alright. You may all be witnessing the return ....Back in Black....* grabs popcorn
    anon(9721108) likes this.
    02-02-17 11:30 PM
    I think the key.... is how enterprise views BlackBerry and TCL, as that seems to still be the focus.

Is there a number of current BBOS and BB10 installations that are in need of an upgrade path? How much do these customers want to stick with or return to using a BlackBerry devices to match up with BlackBerry EMM solutions they are using? How many that moved on to other platforms and devices, want to return? How many believe that PKB is the better form factor for them to provide to their users?

Now if TCL does the impossible and release the Mercury as a $299 phone.... maybe that would attract some consumer attention, especially with some of these prepaid phone providers. But if it's reasonable priced at $500, doubt consumers will care. As I just don't believe there is much of a market for a PKB phone.

As to what will TCL do if Mercury flops.... I think their goal is to sell smartphones in the US market, and I think they are fully aware of how past BlackBerry and Alcatel phones have sold here. They'll keep trying, but probable under their own brand "TCL" as it's become better known and is the Brand they are spending a lot of money to promote in the USA. Maybe they'll rework the branding on future phones to more of a "powered by BlackBerry / Google Android". Or maybe they'll just drop everything associated with BlackBerry. Either way if the Mercury "PROVES" there isn't a viable PKB market..... I doubt you'll see another PKB phone from them. Unless it's a "cheap" Palm phone - they own the Palm brand too and can go "cheap" where BlackBerry probable won't allow them too. Which is why I think if you are a Q10, Classic or Passport owner and want to see a BlackBerry PKB phone in the future, you had better support the Mercury.
    I would be very surprised to find a enterprise that is using BBOS that has not had a replacement plan in place for the last few years. As for BB10 the few companies that ever had them are very few.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    02-03-17 02:56 AM
    So true. I just don't get how people here don't understand the costs of doing Android vs BB10. Android requires a very small staff. Most of the work is already done ad there are drivers for all the major chips. Plus you don't need all of the partner and customer support. BB10 on the other hand required a huge dev staff and millions to keep it going. The debate inside Blackberry was not BB10 or Android for the future, the debate was should we shut down HW or give Android a try.

So far BlackBerry has found two OEMS willing to sell BlackBerry phones with Android. Without BlackBerry Android it would be game over.
    Jeffm63 likes this.
    02-03-17 03:06 AM
    I still am dubious that BlackBerry is willing to put in the effort and resources to make Blackberry Mobile phones operating system special. Everything from the camera software to SMS. Will they spend money to ensure constant improvement. In a year or two perhaps all will be left is a PKB and the name.

Posted via CB10
    02-03-17 04:02 AM
    Does anyone know if TCL has a contract for more than one phone? Or if the contract is for a certain time frame so they can put out as many phones in that span of time?

Basically, if the mercury doesn't do well financially, does another company get the BlackBerry licensing?

Anyone want to guess the worst case scenario?
    Bla1ze made a post HERE which explains a little more in details about whats happening in the deal.

BlackBerry and TCL have now officially announced they have entered a long-term licensing agreement wherein BlackBerry will license its security software and service suite, as well as related brand assets to TCL Communication who will design, manufacture, sell and provide customer support for BlackBerry-branded mobile devices
    I think i heard that if all goes 'reasonably' well. The deal lasts till 2019. (3 year Contract) But I'm sure as @conite said, if the 'Mercury' literally sells to 3 people and then the following phone only sells 2. Then they can dissolve the partnership. I don't think it will come to that. I have a good feeling about the 'Mercury' and I'm sure there will be a ton of sales.
    02-03-17 05:30 AM
    TCL has generated more hype about the Mercury in short period of time. TCL has done something which BlackBerry couldn't do for Priv or the Passport.
    IMHO PKB has limited audiences but you never know if this device scripts the return of BlackBerry through TCL who have been lots of hype about it.
    02-03-17 05:59 AM
    TCL has generated more hype about the Mercury in short period of time. TCL has done something which BlackBerry couldn't do for Priv or the Passport.
    IMHO PKB has limited audiences but you never know if this device scripts the return of BlackBerry through TCL who have been lots of hype about it.
    What has TCL done though? BlackBerry had Web ads and commercials for Priv. They sponsored a US presidential debate. They showed them off at shows and used social media. I don't feel like TCL has done anything special so far.

Posted via CB10
    PantherBlitz likes this.
    02-03-17 06:17 AM
    BB phones of any type are extremely limited availability on carrier contracts.
    From what I've read/understood, don't count carriers as a significant channel (besides fleets/enterprises), whatever the results are.
    02-03-17 06:56 AM
    Hype?

If you clear you web cache... you find that BlackBerry really isn't a lead news story. It's just that if you are interested in BlackBerry to begin with, the web or your news app will feed you more stories on that topic. Right now I see less "hype" about the Mercury than I did about the PRIV.
    PantherBlitz and Sairos like this.
    02-03-17 07:05 AM
    A license to do something is not necessarily an obligation to do something. If the Merc flops hard TCL will have a hard time justifying more BlackBerry phones to their shareholders.
    02-03-17 09:50 AM
    A license to do something is not necessarily an obligation to do something. If the Merc flops hard TCL will have a hard time justifying more BlackBerry phones to their shareholders.
    True... but usually with licensing deals there is some sort of contract in place. But Chen admitted he was not able to get an upfront licensing deal like he wanted. It is based on sales, and I expect TCL and the other two understood the difficulties they would face with this damaged brand.

That said I think part of the BlackBerry brands problems has been the uncertainty.... since the PRIV has been out, Chen has talked about possible getting out of hardware. For most of enterprise, a device is an investment and they expect so kind of long term product line. So I would not be surprised that TCL would announce some sort of long term plan.... as enterprise is still who they see buying these licensed BlackBerries. So I expect to hear about two devices at least for the near future, with some talk about long term goals... maybe even a roadmap like BlackBerry use to do.

But in reality, I do expect that Mercury sales will determine if their plans get scaled back or even canceled. I do think they'll be too far along to stop the 2nd device, but a 3rd or 4th probable won't show up if the Mercury is a FLOP.

The thing is, we don't know what a flop would be..... are they expecting to sell a million of them in the first quarter? or are they expecting to sell 100K of them? What most manufacturers would see as a flop, might not be true for TCL.
    02-03-17 10:08 AM
    Yes it appears that TCL is going to be targeting the Enterprise sector. I wonder how that will work. It seems to me that consumer acceptance is required before Enterprise acceptance. It used to be the other way around.

Maybe government buyers will reverse the trend and accept BlackBerry Mobile .
    02-03-17 11:59 AM
65 123