So my personal observation of BlackBerry's current brand perception in regards to devices.

- Old tech
    - Un trendy
    - Going Bankrupt

The solution:

The current rumoured devices Windermere (Mid-range QWERTY), Ontario (Mid-range All touch) and the flagship 64-bit octo core needs to make a statement when they hit the market and in marketing nothing is more powerful than word of mouth. SO GET THE PEOPLE TALKING!

People are into aesthetics like it or not, BB10 is functionally excellent but it needs an UI update just to make it a little bit more attention grabbing. Good news, 10.3 is rumoured to address this.

Now the most important thing, the phones itself must LOOK the part and create impact design wise.

There is a new head for devices: BlackBerry taps former HTC, Ericsson executive to head device group - The Globe and Mail

Im not sure if he had anything to do with the HTC ONE, but if he did, I think blackberry future devices would be quite different looking in a good way.

There are some great fan concepts my favourite is this one: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-drawn-899945/

Also they have a really nice porsche concept http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...oncept-895349/

Slider, qwerty or all touch is unimportant (we leave that up to the market to decide) what is important is the design language. So far i have not seen a phone with futuristic edgy designs besides the new porsche phone. Think of the design lines of the Lamborghini Avantador.

Next generation blackberry phone design-aventador_lamborghini_lp700-4_tuning.jpg

Also, BlackBerry has sponsored mercedes formula 1 since 2013 and they could take a page or two off their design books.

Next generation blackberry phone design-tag-heuer-formula-1-watch-gives-user-same-elegance-driving-mercedes-benz10.jpg

Imagine the likes of a blackberry phone with mercedes/porsche design characteristics, the carbon fibre esque back cover currently found on the Q10 and Z30 is a wonderful piece of material and could be used creatively to create impact. Combine that with brushed aluminium and high end design i think it will help BlackBerry regain market share.

Who doesn't want a sexy looking phone?
    Last edited by Q10Nutter; 02-16-14 at 09:33 AM.
    rockitnyc and MaxR_A like this.
    02-16-14 08:54 AM
    This alone would attract a lot of potential customers because of the reputation of those other brands and as long as the price is right.

Posted via CB10
    02-16-14 09:24 AM
    Bring sexy back BlackBerry. The z30 looks good but they could of used aluminum instead of silver paint to give it more of a high end feel and look

C001B7B16 The Gif Exchange
    02-16-14 10:59 AM
    Bring sexy back BlackBerry. The z30 looks good but they could of used aluminum instead of silver paint to give it more of a high end feel and look

C001B7B16 The Gif Exchange
    I love the z30 too but and it definitely looks better than any samsung but I feel the next gen has to be 2 steps ahead interms of design.

Q10SQN100-3/10.2.1.2141, Z30, Z10, iP5, SGS3
    02-16-14 11:08 AM
    Premium materials require a premium price point... with BlackBerry's smaller buying power, that would mean a higher than average selling price. And we have seen how well being too high priced worked for them.

What BlackBerry needs is a feature that is unique and desirable by the end user.

Posted via CB10
    02-16-14 11:34 AM
    Premium materials require a premium price point... with BlackBerry's smaller buying power, that would mean a higher than average selling price. And we have seen how well being too high priced worked for them.

What BlackBerry needs is a feature that is unique and desirable by the end user.

Posted via CB10
    They have blackberry jakarta and the current Q10, Z10 and Z30 to satisfy lower price points.

The next gen I believe should be made to wow the market.

As any product designer can tell you, bad design costs the same as good design. I'm not talking about materials only, does a square edge cost more to make than a rounded edge?

02-16-14 11:55 AM
    People are into aesthetics like it or not, BB10 is functionally excellent but it needs an UI update just to make it a little bit more attention grabbing. Good news, 10.3 is rumoured to address this.

Now the most important thing, the phones itself must LOOK the part and create impact design wise.
    Agreed. Smartphones have matured a lot over the years when it comes to performance in hardware and software. It doesn't take a very fast phone to do what most people use their phones for. IMO this means that smartphones need something else besides specs to sell their phones.

I believe a good looking phone and OS will help BlackBerry sell more phones. I've noticed some of my friends switch phones just because they like the looks of another phone.

IMO a good looking phone and OS will get people interested, but people continue using a phone because the OS provides a good user experience. If BlackBerry has both then I think they will sell more phones. IMO the OS needs more design work than the hardware since the pleasant but plain look of BB10 is a little boring. It's functional but lacks excitement. The Z10 and Z30 have professional good looks, but even with that being said it would be nice if they were improved upon.
    02-16-14 07:07 PM
    Agreed. Smartphones have matured a lot over the years when it comes to performance in hardware and software. It doesn't take a very fast phone to do what most people use their phones for. IMO this means that smartphones need something else besides specs to sell their phones.

I believe a good looking phone and OS will help BlackBerry sell more phones. I've noticed some of my friends switch phones just because they like the looks of another phone.

IMO a good looking phone and OS will get people interested, but people continue using a phone because the OS provides a good user experience. If BlackBerry has both then I think they will sell more phones. IMO the OS needs more design work than the hardware since the pleasant but plain look of BB10 is a little boring. It's functional but lacks excitement. The Z10 and Z30 have professional good looks, but even with that being said it would be nice if they were improved upon.
    Glad to know at least some share my view. Speaking about design, did you see the renders of the Z3 "jakarta"?

Next generation blackberry phone design-blackberry-z3-jakarta-render.jpeg

I think that's a brilliant looking phone for the price. I hope this design trend continues with the higher end phones except that those get better quality materials.

Yes agreed the UI of BB10 needs some work ASAP.

02-16-14 07:18 PM