What about LTE? Like come 2012 won't most high end devices be LTE? Apple will have a non-LTE iphone in 2011 but they def will have an LTE iphone in 2012? I think this superphone needs LTE otherwise its just back in the dust as being too late to the party.

While all the complaints that existed with the Storm.. at least it did something different. It was the first Verizon phone to EVDO RevA and probably still the highest sold Blackberry on Verizon of all time. Its time for them to get back into this party with an LTE QNX phone before the LTE iphone in 2012.
    07-24-11 12:07 PM
    What about LTE? Like come 2012 won't most high end devices be LTE? Apple will have a non-LTE iphone in 2011 but they def will have an LTE iphone in 2012? I think this superphone needs LTE otherwise its just back in the dust as being too late to the party.

While all the complaints that existed with the Storm.. at least it did something different. It was the first Verizon phone to EVDO RevA and probably still the highest sold Blackberry on Verizon of all time. Its time for them to get back into this party with an LTE QNX phone before the LTE iphone in 2012.
    LTE chipsets are immature still. Also LTE devices require two radios currently (LTE and CDMA) and require them to run at the same time if you want a seamless experience. More weight, real estate and power are needed to support them. The second gen ones should be out by end of year, along with a single radio support both. I'm not worried about LTE personally until it is available more worldwide and in the US. I think the technology is cool, just not very practical this early in deployment.
    07-24-11 12:43 PM

It's already been said that the next iPhone that is supposed to drop in September will not be LTE. Apple releases an iPhone once a year so if they follow this pattern of behavior then at the earliest they would release an LTE iPhone in Fall 2012. RIM has already said they are shooting for 1st Quarter 2012 for their 1st QNX phone. This would give them 6-9 more months to release another QNX LTE phone in the fall to compete with a possible LTE iPhone.
    07-24-11 12:45 PM
    LTE chipsets are immature still. Also LTE devices require two radios currently (LTE and CDMA) and require them to run at the same time if you want a seamless experience. More weight, real estate and power are needed to support them. The second gen ones should be out by end of year, along with a single radio support both. I'm not worried about LTE personally until it is available more worldwide and in the US. I think the technology is cool, just not very practical this early in deployment.
    +1
    I'll get excited about LTE when the technology catches up to the hype.
    There is precious little LTE coverage in Canada right now and I'm not willing to sacrifice battery life for LTE. HSPA+ will do fine for the next two years, then RIM can build a QNX- LTE phone will hardware that can provide performance and battery life.
    07-24-11 01:32 PM
    All this talk of processor clock speed is useless. Software is where companies make it or break it. I don't care if my phone has a slower processor if it works smooth. It should actually require less power meaning less drain on the battery.

And I would choose the new 9850/9860 over any android phone in a second.
    OS7 looks good to me and android always seems so un-natural and unfinished to me. Blackberries just suit a certain type of people better no matter what the specs. It's the experience.
    i had a nokia e7 a month ago. 624mhz processor..and its slow. buggy. it's battery efficient but you can't complete any simple task without swearing, really.
    of course bb is nothing like that, my torch work quite well. the trouble is even if you want to create a simple phone the market won't accept it as smartphone - and smartphones will need stronger engines because
    - people load application the phones
    - increasing data usage
    - future need of using an antivirus on the handset. we know how these antiviruses slows down our PCs
    - increasing use of data. people never thought of streaming movies to smartphones in 2003. now it's real

so to catch up and stay with the game, and if you sell touchscreen phone it at least meant for media, the storm#4 got to tie it's spec to market leader's benchmark ; say galaxy s2 - so it will stay relevant during launch and during it's economical life - say 2 years.
    anything less than that, and people will forget it. storm #1, 2 and 3 scared enough people already. this one got to be right.
    07-24-11 06:21 PM
    i had a nokia e7 a month ago. 624mhz processor..and its slow. buggy. it's battery efficient but you can't complete any simple task without swearing, really.
    of course bb is nothing like that, my torch work quite well. the trouble is even if you want to create a simple phone the market won't accept it as smartphone - and smartphones will need stronger engines because
    - people load application the phones
    - increasing data usage
    - future need of using an antivirus on the handset. we know how these antiviruses slows down our PCs
    - increasing use of data. people never thought of streaming movies to smartphones in 2003. now it's real

so to catch up and stay with the game, and if you sell touchscreen phone it at least meant for media, the storm#4 got to tie it's spec to market leader's benchmark ; say galaxy s2 - so it will stay relevant during launch and during it's economical life - say 2 years.
    anything less than that, and people will forget it. storm #1, 2 and 3 scared enough people already. this one got to be right.
    See iPhone for simple smartphone success.
    07-24-11 06:27 PM
    See iPhone for simple smartphone success.
    i agree, from business point of view. how to change perceptions, how to keep people buying your products. and this is only with one smartphone.

but there are always a challenger. samsung is a big one now with it's galaxy line, fighting in all front against androids and other OS. the fact that samsung can go big from where it was shows its ability to adapt and evolve and produce good phones.
    the rest of android players (motorola, SE and LG) pretty much bogged down. no one likes motoblur, for instance. what's in a name, motoblur? so you got blurry eyes? would customers be so excited when they read "WITH MOTOBLUR". another example of poor marketing and product's overall packaging.

it's the other way around for rim and nokia. now it's their chance to re-trim the organisation and business process, straighten up future plan and road maps, get close to support/users communities, and come back with good products. in 2-3 years time things may change. apple won't survive with just one phone, and we will see how it fares if it release a qwerty product. and smaller tablets. etc.
    all in all it's hard competition out there, and it won't be any easier for the market players. a 7" ipad would sell well, no one would doubt that. storm#4 won't stand a chance against the likes of samsung galaxy s2, etc.
    07-24-11 06:47 PM
    Why must we always use the iPhone as the measuring stick when everyone knows Apple puts out a new phone every year and Blackberry doesn't.

Has Apple not had it's fair share of major ****-ups caused by forcing product out the door based on a calendar and not on quality of development?

Do we really want Blackberry to operate this way because millions of "sheeple" are brain washed by good marketing in spite of what the product has to offer, good or bad?

I like being able to customize my interface. I like the quality of my hardware. I like not feeling I lost out on the newest toy because new models are added at twice the speed of the average contract. I like a device that is more oriented to a business type user. I like not having the draconian Apple over lord forcing me to use software I may not wanna use.

I like my Blackberry and I'm gonna by another one ***d@mnit.

People want Blackberry to do better/well? Stop moaning like a bunch pansies wearing white earbuds.

IT'S CALLED LOYALTY!!!

Wanna POS handset made in china/korea/taiwan? Than your a loser for not supporting our brothers in Canada.
    07-24-11 08:55 PM
    we're talking handsets here. your playbook got dual core 1 ghz. current bb handset flagship is the torch which got 624mhz.

what i mean by notifications is a pop up notifications, not a led or a sound.
    you can see those in palm handsets, where you actually see a line or two of incoming email in a small box on the screen.
    If that is such a big thing for you, why haven't you gotten Shao's Leave It On app? It allows you to enable just those kinds of pop-ups for every notification you can possibly receive on the BB.
    07-25-11 03:56 PM
    It'll be 2 years before you see a QNX QWERTY candy bar form factor phone. If you see it at all.
    07-25-11 05:11 PM
    it should be out in 2012..so just few months away.
    07-25-11 05:58 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD