We've heard rumors that RIM is going to release a "Superphone" next year that will have the QNX OS, it'll be basically a mini-Playbook. My question is, will RIM be releasing a next gen Bold w/Qwerty keyboard that uses the QNX OS? Or is the Bold 9900/9930 EOL for classic BlackBerry qwerty keyboard form factor?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-23-11 07:08 AM
    There is no way these will be the last qwerty blackberries, they are not in the position to abandon their most popular and distinctive form factor anytime soon.
    07-23-11 07:17 AM
    Since BlackBerry is basically known for their form factor I'd say its safe to assume that a QWERTY QNX phone is in their future. It would be like McDonald's stopping the sale of their french fries lol.
    07-23-11 07:18 AM
    Since BlackBerry is basically known for their form factor I'd say its safe to assume that a QWERTY QNX phone is in their future. It would be like McDonald's stopping the sale of their french fries lol.
    Indeed. )
    07-23-11 07:24 AM
    superphone with qwerty. isn't it the bold 9900? or different form factor? a slider? touchscreen? flip? folded? crumpled?
    07-23-11 07:25 AM
    They can't even tell us when the Bold 9900 is coming out, and that's already done! We'll be lucky if we EVER see a QNX phone from RIM. I wouldn't waste any energy thinking about it now.
    07-23-11 07:25 AM
    @m23haz LOL, i agree 100%. i just hope that they release the "QNX" Super phone fully polished. maybe the PB is the beta for the Super phone and if thats the case the new Series Phones will be beastly!!!

Rimpire for ever.....
    07-23-11 07:28 AM
    That's what I hope for too, but it seems RIM would rather follow iphones and Androids and I thought I seen an article that the QNX OS wouldn't work properly on a Bold 99xx form factor...that the next gen QNX's would be all touchscreen. Hope that isn't the case.

07-23-11 07:40 AM
    That's what I hope for too, but it seems RIM would rather follow iphones and Androids and I thought I seen an article that the QNX OS wouldn't work properly on a Bold 99xx form factor...that the next gen QNX's would be all touchscreen. Hope that isn't the case.
    QNX has been developed for the Playbook first, so the natural progression is to move it to a Full touchscreen phone while they refine it to be more keyboard friendly.

Also the "hot" form factor IS a touchscreen it seems every reviewer rates every phone based on how much it is LIKE the iPhone, the more it is different the lower the review, and thus a qwerty phone would not be a good launching platform for QNX, it needs to gain some traction before they start making it harder to make apps with all sorts of screen resolutions.
    07-23-11 07:48 AM

As I understand it, QNX is so powerfull that they can layer it. Remove certain components to dumb it down or fully implament it for supper phones. I'm far from smart but I believe that if they wanted or felt they needed witch i dought, they could run BBOS inside QNX. There you have your functioning QWERTY. By that time it would be so smooth and integrated you'll never know.
    As well it has to be understood BBOS is going to be around for a long time and has a ****e load of value going forward!
    Last edited by Dapper37; 07-24-11 at 11:36 AM.
    07-23-11 12:12 PM
    I think you will definitely see some QWERTY QNX phones at some point. But lets face it, one of the main reason they are migrating from BBOS to QNX/Tablet OS is because that the iPhone and high end Android devices have moved the a huge percentage of the smartphone market to all touch devices. QNX handset will start off as the Flagship phone showcasing the power of the new OS while still providing all of the secure services that RIM made a reputation on. BBOS devices will be the mid to low end. As high end moves from dual core to quad core and beyond, and dual core SoC's drop in price QNX will come out for mid then eventually to low devices and that will be the end of BBOS, except maybe in a player. I see this taking a couple of years+ to play out though. Personally I think RIM would be served well by having a Bold, a full touch, and slider and that is it. Come out with new of each every year and let last years models become your value models. Just change the name of the device when the new ones come out to Curve, Curve Touch, Curve Slider and be done with it.
    07-23-11 12:33 PM
    They can't even tell us when the Bold 9900 is coming out, and that's already done! We'll be lucky if we EVER see a QNX phone from RIM. I wouldn't waste any energy thinking about it now.
    Who's "they"?? RIM? You're blaming the wrong people. RIM has no say on when your carrier or any other carrier releases the 9900. RIM released the 9900 & other devices for carriers to test & certify and it's now up to the carriers as when they decide to release them. Not RIM. RIM prefers them to have already been on the market.
    07-23-11 12:51 PM
    all the current superphones run big screens. no point calling your products superphones if it got 2,5" or 3" screen. even 4" screen is not considered big these days.
    with increasing data consumption, new applications, and big screen, comes the need for bigger, faster, and more efficient engine. 1GHZ is 2009/2010 for androids, now come dual cores with 1.2-1.5ghz.

android will surely be the flagship and the technological forefront of mobile technology. with multiple big players. iphone will finally get notifications thanks to palm and android, 4 years after launch. no blackberry phones has it.
    next year everyone will have it.
    to be able to call your product superphone is easy - to prove it is not that easy. we have seen the professional grade tablet - we don't know what is now - to sad to explain.

would anyone buy a bb storm#4 with 4" screen against samsung galaxy s2?
    Last edited by sportline; 07-23-11 at 05:23 PM.
    07-23-11 04:54 PM
    all the current superphones run big screens. no point calling your products superphones if it got 2,5" or 3" screen. even 4" screen is not considered big these days.
    with increasing data consumption, new applications, and big screen, comes the need for bigger, faster, and more efficient engine. 1GHZ is 2009/2010 for androids, now come dual cores.
    android will surely be the flagship and the technological forefront of mobile technology. with multiple big players. iphone will finally get notifications thanks to palm and android, 4 years after launch. no blackberry phones has it.
    to be able to call your product superphone is easy - to prove it is not that easy. we have seen the professional grade tablet - we don't know what is now - to sad to explain.

I can't even make heads or tails of the point you are trying to make. Blackberry doesn't have notifications, it doesn't have a GHz processor? What?

07-23-11 05:18 PM
    we're talking handsets here. your playbook got dual core 1 ghz. current bb handset flagship is the torch which got 624mhz.

what i mean by notifications is a pop up notifications, not a led or a sound.
    you can see those in palm handsets, where you actually see a line or two of incoming email in a small box on the screen.
    07-23-11 05:23 PM
    we're talking handsets here. your playbook got dual core 1 ghz. current bb handset flagship is the torch which got 624mhz.

you can see those in palm handsets, where you actually see a line or two of incoming email in a small box on the screen.
    Yeah I knew you were talking about phones. 1+ Ghz phones are coming out this year as you know. From what I heard of Android dual core phone's battery life is horrible but I could be wrong because I have nevered used one. But if true they won't be here until RIM can throw down great battery life. Notifications are there but you just don't like them.

No offense your complaints seem superficial.

Last edited by Foreverup; 07-23-11 at 06:14 PM.
    07-23-11 05:58 PM
    with increasing data consumption, new applications, and big screen, comes the need for bigger, faster, and more efficient engine. 1GHZ is 2009/2010 for androids, now come dual cores with 1.2-1.5ghz.

Well for 1:
    RIM's "Superphones" are meant to be running dualcore processors in 2012, as the Superphones will be those with QNX.

Secondly RIM's notifications are perfect for a busy person, my phone can be set on silent, but 48h before my flights Blackberry travel will vibrate to remind me if I am missing anything from my itinerary when I am pounding through 30 emails in a lunch break and having to reply NOTHING takes me away from them except a phone call, that is ideal. I don't want a disruptive text when working.

and Right now if I was Forced to use a Full touchscreen phone and my Choice was the 9850 or the Samsung Galaxy S2, I would take an OS7 run "Storm 4" over the Samsung in a second flat.
    chiefbroski likes this.
    07-23-11 06:30 PM

Wow it's amazing that my 520 some odd megahertz processor in my Tour is able to notify me when a message comes in! I know that this is new with other platforms, but the bigotry of low expectations may be blinding you! Don't worry fandroid is copied by OS5 which isn't even as good as BB notifications.
    07-23-11 08:44 PM
    Well to get back on topic I think slightly larger but thinner torch would be perfect for the new QNX phone. Heck I use the playbook gestures accidentally all the time already.

07-23-11 10:17 PM
    ^^ I agree with this...i always felt had the torch had a bigger touch screen and was slimmer, and had some new styling to it, that it could've been an even bigger hit than what it was. i dont necessarily think a QNX device needs a 4.3 inch screen to be a "superphone". iphone has a 3.5" screen (which is too small in my opinion), but yet is considered better than what many people call "superphones". i personally am more excited about the software features that will come with the QNX devices. Dont get me wrong, high end specs will be nice too but if all we are getting is better specs and no new features, then whats really the difference between them and OS7 devices? Better performance, but nothing truly new to use it with....

i really think that while we have yet to see any benefit to end users from all these acquisitions, RIM will hopefully be bringing all the pieces of the puzzle together once these QNX devices drop. im really wanting RIM to wow us, and truly excited in the UI TAT will bless us BB users with...
    chiefbroski and sleepngbear like this.
    07-23-11 11:06 PM
    I know that this is new with other platforms, but the bigotry of low expectations may be blinding you!
    Pardon me for asking, but isn't it true that the BlackBerry browser didn't really become usable until 2010? Examples of "low expectations" are present on all platforms.
    07-23-11 11:44 PM

All this talk of processor clock speed is useless. Software is where companies make it or break it. I don't care if my phone has a slower processor if it works smooth. It should actually require less power meaning less drain on the battery.

And I would choose the new 9850/9860 over any android phone in a second.
    OS7 looks good to me and android always seems so un-natural and unfinished to me. Blackberries just suit a certain type of people better no matter what the specs. It's the experience.
    07-24-11 12:13 AM
    @m23haz LOL, i agree 100%. i just hope that they release the "QNX" Super phone fully polished. maybe the PB is the beta for the Super phone and if thats the case the new Series Phones will be beastly!!!
    While not officially what they are doing it may work out that way, you have the wifi model to get qnx out there to start off development for the new platform, the next stage will be the 3g/4g playbooks to get the radio integrated with qnx and then there is the final stage of reducing the ui and optimising the battery life further to fit a smartphone.

For all the complaints about them not having qnx phones out rather than the playbook, it could end up being a decent plan and avoid complaints of the more important phones being half-baked compared with the playbook which isn't as important to them right now as the smartphone market.
    07-24-11 03:08 AM
    If? I do decide to use my upgrade on the Bold 9930 (or iphone 5 if Sprint has it available in September) I'd hope that in two years 2013, when my upgrade is available again, that RIM will have a state of the art QNX OS Bold w/full qwerty keyboard running at 2.4Ghz w/at least 1GB RAM 16GB microSD 680X900 res with HDMI output 8megpixel HD cam w/4mp front end cam and will have caught up with iphone in nessecery apps and a BlackBerry cloud
    07-24-11 07:28 AM
    torch with 4" touchscreen, superamoled. thinner (10mm) with bigger (wider) battery. and 4.5" tablet phone with 2000mah battery and superamoled screen.
    07-24-11 09:16 AM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD