So I've been reading about all the rumored upcoming devices: sliders, keyboard-touchscreen combos etc. but what I'm really wondering is if there's any indication that RIM will come up with another Bold device which still has tablet shape, keyboard and touchpad? Like how the Bold 9700 advanced on the Bold 9000.. same fundamental design, but with advanced features.

I would never get anything other than the tablet + keyboard w/touchpad (or trackball) format and right now I'm trying to decide whether to upgrade to the Bold 9700. I would have to get an 18 or 24 month contract, so I don't want to upgrade now if it seems likely that a new Bold in the same format will come out soon-ish (given that 9700 has been around for a while now). If however this seems to be the end of the road for the 3G HSDPA tablet device in the current Bold format then I won't hesitate to upgrade now, because if the future for 3G-enabled BlackBerrys is really in sliders and devices without trackballs/touchpads then I'm not going to bother waiting for new models.. thanks
    Last edited by p2h5; 03-30-10 at 10:04 AM.
    03-30-10 10:00 AM
    Rumor is Dakota is the next Bold.
    03-30-10 10:06 AM
    so is this the device that will supposedly have a touchscreen and a touchpad for navigation?

as a slight aside, does anyone know how long the 9700 has been out for, and how long the 9000 was around before it was replaced by the 9700? i Googled, but i couldn't find very accurate info thanks
    03-30-10 10:27 AM
    It is approximately a year as far as i know. The bold 9000 was announced in May 2008 and released later that year. The 9700 was announced october 2009 and released in november 2009. Assuming the bold 9000 was released a month or two after announcement, it would be a year and a few months at most. Hope this helps. I am looking at the same issue actually. Thinking about switching from iphone to BB and wondering whether to get the 9700 or wait for whatever is supposed to replace it. Let me know if you get any definitive answers. cheers
    03-30-10 07:30 PM
    this is the million dollar question. i read somewhere long time ago that the dakota was going to be released in the 4th quarter of 2010. but im not sure whether that was accurate. the dakota could also be pushed to a 1st quarter release in 2011. so who knows. i hope someone comes up with something about the dakota soon.
    03-30-10 08:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD