Who streams videos on a trip around town with kids? That would be really sad if true. You're supposed to look around you, not at a phone or tablet.

On a long drive yes, but around town?
    The kids would be looking at it.. Not the driver obviously. Who cares what they are looking at? And besides.. It was an example.. It can be useful anywhere. Restaurants, doctors office, waiting in line at the DMV. The point is its convenient.. Despite what you people who have never used it think.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    12-24-12 04:28 PM
    Who streams videos on a trip around town with kids? That would be really sad if true. You're supposed to look around you, not at a phone or tablet.

On a long drive yes, but around town?
    Supposed to look around you? I think we're thinking of different kinds of trips around town. Picture a trip to a restaurant. Hardly anyone takes reservations anymore, so when you get there it's a 45 minute wait. Around 15 minutes the kids start getting restless. They have time to watch an episode of iCarly or whatever kids watch these days.

After dinner, everyone is ready to go, but Suzy is taking her time savoring her strawberry shortcake. Little Bobby is getting antsy and fidgety. He can start an episode of something then finish it in the car.

ETA: That's just an example I came up with off the top of my head. I know that some kids might be content with playing tic-tac-toe on a napkin. It's just one thing to have in a parent's arsenal.

I personally use Netflix at the gym if I feel like a long session on the spin bike or treadmill and don't feel like listening to any of my music. For me, it's nice to have that option.
    Last edited by pantlesspenguin; 12-24-12 at 06:10 PM.
    12-24-12 04:42 PM
    The kids would be looking at it.. Not the driver obviously. Who cares what they are looking at? And besides.. It was an example.. It can be useful anywhere. Restaurants, doctors office, waiting in line at the DMV. The point is its convenient.. Despite what you people who have never used it think.

I'm sorry but that's just sad. What happened to making conversation? Kids watch too much TV in homes already, now they watch even more out of the house.
    12-24-12 06:49 PM
    I'm sorry but that's just sad. What happened to making conversation? Kids watch too much TV in homes already, now they watch even more out of the house.
    Thanks for the tip Dad Now your an expert in children too?

12-24-12 07:19 PM
    This isn't a new thing. In the past it was handheld games, walkmans, coloring books, etc. Now they can watch Dora. Conversation and playing verbal games (my fam's favorite was playing the chicken game...replacing a word in the title of a song or movie with "chicken." Try it, it's awesome) may work at one time...but another time the kid could be in a bad mood or not feeling sociable. It's good to have a backup plan.
    12-24-12 07:30 PM
    Thanks for the tip Dad Now your an expert in children too?

No, quite far from it, but I take my kids out to take them away from their gadgets/TV.
    12-24-12 07:31 PM
    No, quite far from it, but I take my kids out to take them away from their gadgets/TV.
    *Gasp* Why do you let them play with gadgets and watch TV at home when where are chores and homework to be done, dinnertime conversations to be had, baths to be taken, bedtime stories to be read...

I kid, I kid...but only kinda .
    Rickroller likes this.
    12-24-12 07:41 PM
    *Gasp* Why do you let them play with gadgets and watch TV at home when where are chores and homework to be done, dinnertime conversations to be had, baths to be taken, bedtime stories to be read...

I kid, I kid...but only kinda .
    Oh believe me, they get spoiled big time, but when they're out they stay behind. Look what's under their tree lol.
    Attached Thumbnails News About Netflix on BB10-img-20121225-00019.jpg  
    12-24-12 08:00 PM
    Oh believe me, they get spoiled big time, but when they're out they stay behind. Look what's under their tree lol.
    Word of advice....TAKE THE BOP IT BACK!!!!!! Trust me, you will thank me. Otherwise, great looking spread .

I don't see why you can't understand that some people just have different ways of entertaining their kids. Just because someone else doesn't do things like you do doesn't mean they're wrong. Growing up, my father was a very prominent United Methodist pastor in a relatively small town. It never failed that EVERY TIME my family would go out to eat, my parents would see someone they knew. Sure, it should've been obvious to those people that my family was trying to have a nice dinner together, but my parents often would have lengthy visits with them. This is where my walkman and my brother's game boy really came in handy when we were tots!

The point to all of this is that there are a few instances where having Netflix comes in handy. Whether it's entertaining your kid in the car or a restaurant (and remember there's tons of educational content for kids out there), at the gym, on the bus, etc some people have use for the app. You don't? That's fine. No one will force you to download it on BB10. You can pretend it's not even there while thousands of others who have invested in BB10 get to enjoy the app.
    Last edited by pantlesspenguin; 12-24-12 at 09:13 PM.
    Goint likes this.
    12-24-12 08:11 PM
    Inside my home network, Airplay is pretty useless too. Ditto for "Home sharing".

I have an iMac, an Airport Extreme, an iPod Touch, an iPhone and two Apple TVs. Everything has the latest software too.

Both Airplay and Home Sharing are utterly flaky. Apple TVs can't detect the content half the time. Or they just stop playing. Or they play one minute, then stop, then the Apple TV can't find the devices. Or the iOS devices can't find the Apple TVs.

The only crappier stuff I've seen Apple put out is that gawdawful podcast app.
    I have an 08 iMac, iPad 1 & 4, ATV 3, and a Netgear router. Stuff work flawlessly.

Who the heck goes to resorts to watch TV ?
    12-24-12 08:27 PM
    Can someone ask BlackBerryScoop about the Newbay situation in BB10 because we have not really heard a lot about it
    12-24-12 10:00 PM
    so much for us wanting to have NetFlix support on BB10. it's down right now both the website and tv streaming, at theworst time of the year.
    12-24-12 10:24 PM
    Just like the sling player that was developed for webos and never released. Some people can have the apps made but wait and see what the platform does before release.
    12-25-12 08:57 AM
    I can't pinpoint any specific examples, but I've heard that they're pretty darn reliable in the past.
    They seem to be pretty good at compiling the stuff that is already known from elsewhere to increase their apparent success rate while throwing out other stuff that is plausible enough to happen, they are not some great source of info by any stretch of the imagination
    12-25-12 10:00 PM
    Personally, I would rather have Crackle come to BB10. Of course, both would be better.
    12-25-12 10:30 PM
    Crackle sucks the most follow by YouTube movies the free section
    12-26-12 02:45 AM
    And what are you going to do with netflix on you BB10?
    I can tell you i will download the latest movies, put them on my memory card then when im on holidays i'll watch them.
    ...because storing large files on our SD card is better than streaming from our Netflix account? I strongly disagree.
    12-26-12 07:55 PM
    So it takes over a month to develop a netflix app on BB10? Thought it was supposed to be easy to develop for? Especially when the cut off date for submitting apps is Jan 21st?

The app development is the easy part. It's the legal stuff that goes along with one big corporation streaming multiple big corporations' media on another big corporation's hardware/software and then throw in how both sides will monetize the deal... Yeah, it can take more than just a couple days or couple weeks.
    12-26-12 08:04 PM
    Netflix and Skype will be the saviors of BB 10!

...or at least shut the majority of the haters up.
    Yes they will, not so much the actual value of those apps have to the average blackberry user NOW.....
    ...But on the masses who've been fed the line about RIM being too outdated to run those kinds of apps.
    ...This is what cost RIM so much of it's subscriber base.

I watched everyone at my company who was on a smartphone ( that was a ton of blackberries ).....
    ...Drop down to 2 ( me and one other guy ) - everyone else left for Iphone then iphone and Droid.

This is perhaps the best news I've heard in a week!!!!
    12-27-12 01:19 AM
    The app development is the easy part. It's the legal stuff that goes along with one big corporation streaming multiple big corporations' media on another big corporation's hardware/software and then throw in how both sides will monetize the deal... Yeah, it can take more than just a couple days or couple weeks.
    Well its not as if BB10 just snuck up on them.
    12-27-12 01:25 AM
    If I recall, the Netflix app on various mobile platforms actually use Qt/Webkit and HTML5 (see FunctionSource: Coping with Over Four Hundred Devices: How Netflix Uses HTML5 to Deliver Amazing User Interfaces). From a coding perspective, it should be pretty straightforward to bring support to BB10. The main issue is the DRM that is used by Netflix (Netflix goes with Microsoft PlayReady DRM for upcoming streaming devices | TechCrunch), and I recall seeing videos from Jam Americas that there will be PlayReady support in BB10 (Library support at a glance - Native SDK for BB10 - BlackBerry Developer).
    jakie55 and SlcCorrado like this.
    12-27-12 02:03 AM
    I have an 08 iMac, iPad 1 & 4, ATV 3, and a Netgear router. Stuff work flawlessly.
    You stream videos from your iTunes on the Mac to your Apple TV and you stream videos from your iPad to your Apple TV? This is where I have the issues. It fails constantly. and I mean *constantly*. Looking at the forums on Apple.com, it's a pretty common problem, sadly.

Who the heck goes to resorts to watch TV ?
    You lost me.
    12-27-12 08:09 AM
    **** just got real... bbscoops again

News About Netflix on BB10-rcsws.jpgNews About Netflix on BB10-5mgyj.jpg
    12-27-12 08:13 AM
    ...because storing large files on our SD card is better than streaming from our Netflix account? I strongly disagree.
    Well that would depend on the user. If they have a high-capacity card and want to watch movies where there is no data, such an airplane, this is a great option. Or if someone has a low data cap, this is a great option as well. Choice is good!
    kbz1960 likes this.
    12-27-12 08:24 AM
    **** just got real... bbscoops again

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rCSwS.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	18.4 KB 
ID:	129619Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5mgYj.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	28.0 KB 
ID:	129620
    Humm..........:-/
    12-27-12 08:31 AM
109 12345