First post. Please be gentle.

Work issues me a Blackberry 8700 with T-Mobile service. We have a dedicated Blackberry server which allows for wireless and continuous updating of my blackberry. In a prior job, I had to plug my blackberry in and sync it with my computer. I don't have to do that now.

At work, we use Microsoft Office 2003. I use my blackberry primarily for its calendaring an e-mail functions. I don't have phone or internet access on my 8700.

For my personal phone, I use AT&T service and really can't change. I have a bunch of rollover minutes, and my wife's family got on AT&T for the free mobile to mobile minutes. My home computer is not on a wireless router, and I use 2 yahoo e-mail accounts for personal use.

I was considering upgrading my phone to the new Blackberry Bold when released. I would like to use my work calendar as my main calendar on my personal blackberry, and I would like access to my work e-mail account in addition to my yahoo accounts. I want internet access on my personal blackberry, and messaging of course.

What do I need to accomplish these objectives. For example, will I need to "sync" my personal blackberry to my work computer?

Many thanks for your help.
    06-25-08 11:26 AM
    Not quite sure on this one. Maybe you need to call and ask your service provider. Welcome to crackberry.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-25-08 11:29 AM
    ...Work issues me a Blackberry 8700 with T-Mobile service. We have a dedicated Blackberry server which allows for wireless and continuous updating of my blackberry. In a prior job, I had to plug my blackberry in and sync it with my computer. I don't have to do that now.

At work, we use Microsoft Office 2003. I use my blackberry primarily for its calendaring an e-mail functions. I don't have phone or internet access on my 8700.

For my personal phone, I use AT&T service and really can't change. I have a bunch of rollover minutes, and my wife's family got on AT&T for the free mobile to mobile minutes. My home computer is not on a wireless router, and I use 2 yahoo e-mail accounts for personal use.

I was considering upgrading my phone to the new Blackberry Bold when released. I would like to use my work calendar as my main calendar on my personal blackberry, and I would like access to my work e-mail account in addition to my yahoo accounts. I want internet access on my personal blackberry, and messaging of course.

What do I need to accomplish these objectives. For example, will I need to "sync" my personal blackberry to my work computer?

Many thanks for your help.
    You are on a Blackberry Enterprise Server. That's controlled by your employer's IT department. You will need to talk to them before making your decision. Everything you want to do is possible, and all of it is controlled by the IT policies in place. If your employer allows you to sync your bb to the BES, then they'll push those IT policies onto your phone. IT policies can be VERY restrictive. For example, they may disable the use of Bluetooth, the internal Media card, and the camera, and prohibit installing 3rd party apps. Or they may not. My IT policy only requires a password and content protection and firewall, and doesn't disable anything. Once you find out what the policy does, then you can make an informed decision as to whether it's worth the trouble to get your work calendar on your personal phone. It may not be any trouble at all, or it may be impossible. Only your IT dep't can say.
    06-25-08 11:45 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD